Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who Would Be An Everton Fan 12:39 - Sep 28 with 1861 viewsSaintNick

I haven.t put up this post to annoy Solent Toffee, but I hadn't realised the fact that an article on BBC Sport brought up today.

Since the turn of the century, Everton are the only club in English football's current top four tiers who have not won a trophy - their last being the 1995 FA Cup triumph against Manchester United at the old Wembley - or been promoted.

Of course to be promoted they would have needed to be relegated and given they have never been relegated from the Premier League, one of only 6 clubs who can claim that in nearly 35 years of it being in place, I don't think they are bothered about that.

But in the last 25 years they have not troubled the scorers much so to speak, their last trophy being the FA Cup in 1995, a little better than our only trophy the Johnstones Paint trophy.

But I suppose that does ask the question for any club outside the big 7 hopefully a number that will reduce soon, about whether it is better to sit in mid table most seasons or enjoy the roller coaster ride of relegation and promotion as we have done.

They have had 3 FA Cup semi finals including 1 final as runner up, plus 2 semi finals in the League cup and 5 seasons of European qualification, but that isn't much better than us .

In that same period we have had 4 FA cup finals including 1 as runner up, we have only had League cup finals but we did reach the final in one of those and we have had only 3 seasons in Europe to their 5.

But overall our record since 2000 is fairly similar to theirs, so perhaps that JPT win shades it for us it terms of excitement in that period.

Ok perhaps I am baiting Solent Toffee at the end lol, but perhaps the clincher is that when they moved grounds they only increased their capacity by around 12,000 whereas we increased ours by 17,000.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

0
Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 12:43 - Sep 28 with 1836 viewsChesham_Saint

Andy Burnham supports them you know - so what's not to like? Even though I hear he might be from Manchester, although I'm not quite sure about that.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

0
Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 13:15 - Sep 28 with 1721 viewsSaintNick

Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 12:43 - Sep 28 by Chesham_Saint

Andy Burnham supports them you know - so what's not to like? Even though I hear he might be from Manchester, although I'm not quite sure about that.


It says he was born in Aintree a suburb of Liverpool, although his family moved out to Cheshire when he was young so his upbringing was not in Liverpool.

He likes Rugby League I have never met anyone from Liverpool who will admit to that

This post has been edited by an administrator

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

0
Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 13:50 - Sep 28 with 1644 viewsPatfromPoole

Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 13:15 - Sep 28 by SaintNick

It says he was born in Aintree a suburb of Liverpool, although his family moved out to Cheshire when he was young so his upbringing was not in Liverpool.

He likes Rugby League I have never met anyone from Liverpool who will admit to that

This post has been edited by an administrator


Really?

Isn't Widnes only a few miles away?

Poll: If we were today re-instated to the play-off final, would you go on Saturday?

0
Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 13:57 - Sep 28 with 1615 viewsSaintNick

Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 13:50 - Sep 28 by PatfromPoole

Really?

Isn't Widnes only a few miles away?


Widnes is not Liverpool, St Helens is not far away either, but I have never met anyone from Liverpool who likes Rugby League

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

0
Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 15:08 - Sep 28 with 1498 viewsChesham_Saint

Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 13:15 - Sep 28 by SaintNick

It says he was born in Aintree a suburb of Liverpool, although his family moved out to Cheshire when he was young so his upbringing was not in Liverpool.

He likes Rugby League I have never met anyone from Liverpool who will admit to that

This post has been edited by an administrator



Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

0
Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 17:06 - Sep 28 with 1304 viewsHytheFerrytales

Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 13:15 - Sep 28 by SaintNick

It says he was born in Aintree a suburb of Liverpool, although his family moved out to Cheshire when he was young so his upbringing was not in Liverpool.

He likes Rugby League I have never met anyone from Liverpool who will admit to that

This post has been edited by an administrator


I can safely say that I could not be classified as an Everton fan.

However I did have the distinct pleasure of being at a couple of their games when Ball, Kendall and Harvey made up their midfield. They were some force, maybe amongst the best combos in the last 60 years. For that alone I give Everton a pass mark.
0
Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 19:13 - Sep 28 with 1110 viewsChesham_Saint

Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 17:06 - Sep 28 by HytheFerrytales

I can safely say that I could not be classified as an Everton fan.

However I did have the distinct pleasure of being at a couple of their games when Ball, Kendall and Harvey made up their midfield. They were some force, maybe amongst the best combos in the last 60 years. For that alone I give Everton a pass mark.


I’m guessing you weren’t at Highbury in ‘84 then..?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

0
Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 20:14 - Sep 28 with 1056 viewsHytheFerrytales

Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 19:13 - Sep 28 by Chesham_Saint

I’m guessing you weren’t at Highbury in ‘84 then..?


Neither were Ball. Kendall or Harvey for that matter.

Funnily enough I was in Highbury that day but not at Highbury on account that I lived in a flat close by. Along with a couple of Saints mates and 400 neanderthal Gooners we gathered in the local battle cruiser to suffer the pain and anguish.

42 years have surely numbed that....or maybe not
0
Login to get fewer ads

Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 23:05 - Sep 28 with 942 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 13:57 - Sep 28 by SaintNick

Widnes is not Liverpool, St Helens is not far away either, but I have never met anyone from Liverpool who likes Rugby League


Rugby League is odd. It should be played much more and supported much better than it is. Union still has a hangover of being "posh" and whilst I've watched England at Twickenham several times (with whisky in the stands!), I've never been fully into it.

League I really enjoy watching as it's faster, harder and more entertaining. Plus on thread of books, there are some great rugby league autobiographies to read.

But I have never understood why it's not been more popular. Why has it never caught on down south? I mean some of the teams up north have really decent followings, some better than football; Wigan being one.

Pretty sure if Sky threw money at it though it would take off.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

0
Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 23:12 - Sep 28 with 932 viewsSaintNick

Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 23:05 - Sep 28 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Rugby League is odd. It should be played much more and supported much better than it is. Union still has a hangover of being "posh" and whilst I've watched England at Twickenham several times (with whisky in the stands!), I've never been fully into it.

League I really enjoy watching as it's faster, harder and more entertaining. Plus on thread of books, there are some great rugby league autobiographies to read.

But I have never understood why it's not been more popular. Why has it never caught on down south? I mean some of the teams up north have really decent followings, some better than football; Wigan being one.

Pretty sure if Sky threw money at it though it would take off.


There used to be that programme with Eddie Waring back in the 1970;s a bit like a Rugby League version of Match of the day

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

0
Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 07:58 - Sep 29 with 712 viewskernow

There have been many good rugby league players who have come out of that city, even though it's always been football fanatical.

Rugby league is massive in Australia and New Zealand, well supported and funded.
0
Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 08:41 - Sep 29 with 664 viewssolent_toffee

I saw the original article and ignored as clickbait for a rubbish journalist. He's classing success for the likes of West Brom as promotion which to be promoted, you have to be relegated in the first place. And to be in JPT you have to be in the third tier of English football so its swings and roundabouts.

It is crap being an Everton fan, in the same way it is for the vast majority of fans who were given no choice but handed this 'gift' at birth, but I wouldn't have it any other way. The whole of point of supporting a team is the blind biased optimism, the sense of belonging and the hope that success, whatever that looks like, is round the corner.

Now in the new stadium and the new pubs, there are about twenty five of us who meet up every home game and its brilliant, from my nephews, nieces, cousins, brothers, mates and their kids, its great.

On the otherhand my nephew has a ticket for Disneyland. He drives to the game, parks up, goes in by himself and sits around glory seekers with half and half scarves and Ipads., talking about xg's and being made up that the opposition winger got an assist as they have them in their fantasy football team. They are even allowed to have club branded rucksacks that they are permitted to take in with them.

I'd rather be an Everton fan than one of them, any day of the week.
0
Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 13:25 - Sep 29 with 473 viewsSaintNick

Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 08:41 - Sep 29 by solent_toffee

I saw the original article and ignored as clickbait for a rubbish journalist. He's classing success for the likes of West Brom as promotion which to be promoted, you have to be relegated in the first place. And to be in JPT you have to be in the third tier of English football so its swings and roundabouts.

It is crap being an Everton fan, in the same way it is for the vast majority of fans who were given no choice but handed this 'gift' at birth, but I wouldn't have it any other way. The whole of point of supporting a team is the blind biased optimism, the sense of belonging and the hope that success, whatever that looks like, is round the corner.

Now in the new stadium and the new pubs, there are about twenty five of us who meet up every home game and its brilliant, from my nephews, nieces, cousins, brothers, mates and their kids, its great.

On the otherhand my nephew has a ticket for Disneyland. He drives to the game, parks up, goes in by himself and sits around glory seekers with half and half scarves and Ipads., talking about xg's and being made up that the opposition winger got an assist as they have them in their fantasy football team. They are even allowed to have club branded rucksacks that they are permitted to take in with them.

I'd rather be an Everton fan than one of them, any day of the week.


I dont think the original article was claiming that West Brom were more successful or any other team for that matter, just that in the last 26 years, that they sat squarely where they were didn't win anything or get promoted.

The point he was making was that Everton fans had perhaps had less excitement than all the other clubs in terms of the joy of winning a trophy or getting promoted.

I agree with everything that you say about the whole point is blind optimism etc and the sense of belonging.

I feel sorry for the long term supporters of Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs & Chelsea who have seen their clubs stolen from them by foreign owners who are only interested in milking the fan base, Newcastle are heading that way as well.

A word of caution though, 20 years ago Manchester City were very much in a similar position to Everton, indeed their real glory days were even more behind them 20 years ago.

They would tell anyone who would listen that they were the peoples club of Manchester, that they would never become like United and their supporters.

The moment the Arabs came to town the tea towels went on their heads and for the past 15 years they have grown to be some of the most arrogant fans you will meet, it is easy to take the moral high ground when you don't have much option, but if Everton are sold to a mega rich owner and start winning things then will Everton fans embrace it as Man City fans did & to a lesser extend the other big clubs

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

0
Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 17:12 - Sep 29 with 335 viewssolent_toffee

Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 13:25 - Sep 29 by SaintNick

I dont think the original article was claiming that West Brom were more successful or any other team for that matter, just that in the last 26 years, that they sat squarely where they were didn't win anything or get promoted.

The point he was making was that Everton fans had perhaps had less excitement than all the other clubs in terms of the joy of winning a trophy or getting promoted.

I agree with everything that you say about the whole point is blind optimism etc and the sense of belonging.

I feel sorry for the long term supporters of Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs & Chelsea who have seen their clubs stolen from them by foreign owners who are only interested in milking the fan base, Newcastle are heading that way as well.

A word of caution though, 20 years ago Manchester City were very much in a similar position to Everton, indeed their real glory days were even more behind them 20 years ago.

They would tell anyone who would listen that they were the peoples club of Manchester, that they would never become like United and their supporters.

The moment the Arabs came to town the tea towels went on their heads and for the past 15 years they have grown to be some of the most arrogant fans you will meet, it is easy to take the moral high ground when you don't have much option, but if Everton are sold to a mega rich owner and start winning things then will Everton fans embrace it as Man City fans did & to a lesser extend the other big clubs


It doesnt need a snide like Phil McNulty to tell us that there's little excitement about being an Evertonian.

I dont feel sorry for any of those clubs that you mention, all of them are the biggest cry arses you could wish to meet as football fans without a hint of irony or awareness of the fact that they have everything handed to them on a plate, whether thats decisions week in, week out, picking players off every other club etc. Their clubs are on a different planet to the rest of us.

I dont think City fans have been that bad, given the circumstances. A lot of them I've met have enjoyed the ride but I wouldn't say that they have massively changed. I also dont think they have that many fans outside of Manchester.

Liverpool however have pretty much morphed into the Manchester United that they, as we, used to mock in the eighties and nineties. Their fanbase is pretty much the same as United's now, out of town for the games whilst the locals are tellyclapping.
0
Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 20:06 - Sep 29 with 255 viewsSaintNick

Who Would Be An Everton Fan on 17:12 - Sep 29 by solent_toffee

It doesnt need a snide like Phil McNulty to tell us that there's little excitement about being an Evertonian.

I dont feel sorry for any of those clubs that you mention, all of them are the biggest cry arses you could wish to meet as football fans without a hint of irony or awareness of the fact that they have everything handed to them on a plate, whether thats decisions week in, week out, picking players off every other club etc. Their clubs are on a different planet to the rest of us.

I dont think City fans have been that bad, given the circumstances. A lot of them I've met have enjoyed the ride but I wouldn't say that they have massively changed. I also dont think they have that many fans outside of Manchester.

Liverpool however have pretty much morphed into the Manchester United that they, as we, used to mock in the eighties and nineties. Their fanbase is pretty much the same as United's now, out of town for the games whilst the locals are tellyclapping.


Im referring to the fans from Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs & Chelsea who lived locally (Ok perhaps not Chelsea) and watched their team home and away up to the last 15-20 years , not the no marks who post on social media from far flung places and never go to games.

Im not just sticking up for Liverpool here also Man Utd which galls me to do so, but they are treated badly.

City don't seem to have attracted too much ok a UK wide fallowing let alone world wide, having been to City a few times not been impressed by their attitudes.

Totally agree with you Liverpool have turned into United, thats because the locals have been squeezed out as their club dont want someone with a season ticket, but someone attending their one game a season or lifetime who will spend a fortune on merchandise

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© FansNetwork 2026