Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
lLower Loft should not be the family stand 20:03 - May 12 with 9039 viewstiberiuskirk

I believe strongly that the poor decision to make it so has cost the club in many ways, particularly in atmosphere this season, and Phil Beard having promised to look at the decision again at the fans forum clearly has decided to keep it so for next season. This again I believe is a mistake. Every club needs a hardcore very vocal home end, and the lower loft was just that. This season any singing started in and around R block just died very quickly, in the past it would carry right across the lower loft, and this would encourage other areas around the ground to join in making Loftus Rd feel like a fortress at times. The away fans on many occasions, including today have just taken the piss, and that hurts. I ask MR BEARD / MR FERNANDES think again !!

Beeeeeeeeeeeeearrrd !!

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 11:19 - May 13 with 1007 viewsMarc

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 11:11 - May 13 by Gloucs_R

Make the School end home fans only
Move away fans into the last two blocks of Ellerslie

Lower school end should have been the family stand for next season seeing as the club dont have to give the away team upper and lower.

Then do tickets £20-30 for loft and ellerslie every game and the stadium would be packed.
lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 11:25 - May 13 with 999 viewsdaveB

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 11:11 - May 13 by Gloucs_R

Make the School end home fans only
Move away fans into the last two blocks of Ellerslie

again then you have to move more fans from where they sit so causes more problems.
lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 11:27 - May 13 with 997 viewsdaveB

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 11:19 - May 13 by stowmarketrange

Unfortunately one stand has to be changed to accommodate a family stand.The people being moved out of the paddocks could have a similar seat in Ellerslie Rd for a reduced silver price for the duration of our remaining time at Loftus Rd.
How many seats are there in the paddocks?A lot of kids are in there already,so I don't suppose it would more than a couple of hundred forced to move.
There isn't an answer that would please everyone,but it would inconvenience less by using the paddocks in my opinion.

no one had to move at all if they had got it right last summer, it would just be making things worse to move more out of the lower loft and everyone out of the paddocks
lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 11:40 - May 13 with 991 viewstoboboly

Anyone stopped to think if we actually need a "family stand"? How many of you needed a family stand in order to start supporting the club?

Exactly, the kids you see around the ground who aren't in the family stand hear lots of swearing so don't give me the whole "oh but their innocent ears can't be offended" carp.

It is in place to get people who wouldn't normally consider going to football to attend and charging them a shed load to do so. There will be loads of them around next season won't there?

If I see any tw@ts with happy clapper shit I will seriously consider force feeding them it.

If you MUST insist on having a place where kids can be contained (rather than a creche in Westfields) then make the School Lower for them and only give the Upper Loft to away fans.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 11:48 - May 13 with 986 viewsstowmarketrange

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 11:27 - May 13 by daveB

no one had to move at all if they had got it right last summer, it would just be making things worse to move more out of the lower loft and everyone out of the paddocks

Yes,you're right that they cocked it up last summer,but they will hopefully try to correct their mistakes by allowing the loft to be used by all supporters who want to go in there.
I don't think that they will budge from their stubborn insistence on the lower loft being for families only though.How many families will be there next season for some of the games next season remains to be seen.
lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 12:38 - May 13 with 967 viewsSomersetHoops

I guess we are stuck with it now. It was called the family area probably about 2007 it may have been earlier, but there were not the restrictions introduced recently and until that happened the atmosphere was better.

Perhaps my attitude is not popular,or even acceptable to some people, but in my view if you don't want your kids to hear swearing then don't bring them to football games. I don't have a problem with my children hearing swearing, but I strongly discourage them from swearing themselves.

Another problem is that when there are events which cross club divides, involving children they become guests of the club and are sat in the 'family area'. This has meant we have supporters of our opponents sitting in the loft in their club shirts. This makes them and our fans feel uncomfortable. It woould be far better if the family area had been sited in the most neutral part of the ground.

That may have meant some investment in the ground which our owners are keen to replace so is unlikely to happen now and to ask another set of people to move will cause more upset. The best we can hope for is aknowledgement that the consultation was not adequate and that it has reduced the effect of our support, although I doubt even this will happen.

My youngest is 11 now and even if she were younger I would rather we visited the club amongst the normal mixture of football fans than in restricted 'family areas'. OK it might mean we encounter the occaisional hot-headed idiot, but I've experienced few instances and no serious problems at QPR. Lets face it if we can get through an awful season like the one we've had without problems then our fans must be generally well behaved as there have been plenty of reasons for them not to be recently.

Who's Next?

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 12:43 - May 13 with 963 viewsdaveB

As a kid i sat in the family stand which was the upper loft and with the sticker swap shop they had it did attract me to come back every week on top of the actual game. I think a family stand is a nice idea and it's good to be able to bring my son to the lower loft where i know he will be comfortable, have a good view of the game, be able to meet the players and be able to get some food and drink without being crushed, i think this kind of thing should be encouraged rather than thrown out but of course i agree with the compliants on how the club have gone about this which will cause a divide.
lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 15:35 - May 13 with 944 viewswombat

isnt rocket science , stick the familys in the corners of the lower loft and let everyone else site in the middle blocks job done simple as that , people might have to move seats but not stands which to most people is the problem

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Login to get fewer ads

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 15:36 - May 13 with 938 viewsdaveB

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 15:35 - May 13 by wombat

isnt rocket science , stick the familys in the corners of the lower loft and let everyone else site in the middle blocks job done simple as that , people might have to move seats but not stands which to most people is the problem

i suggested that to the club a couple of times but obviously nothing came of it
lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 16:26 - May 13 with 923 viewseghamranger

me and my daughter (aged 15) are season ticket holders in the LL and I like sitting there, I used to be in the loft as a kid and I'm lucky as I take her and I can do it.She is 16 in December so this will be the last year.i have renewed for next year which cost £529 which works out £23 per game for us.

The club wont change it this season as people have renewed, but I will have to move next season.

I'm there because I'm with a child and like sitting there.

It was brought in cos it put people off taking their kids to football because of the dogs abuse that players were getting and bad behaviour by fans at games.

I used to sit in the LL with my then 10 year old and get a rangers fan next to me calling Cerny a c..t, as a dad you really notice things like that.

It doesn't bother me now as she is older and everyone swears at matches, even in LL, but at some matches people were bang out of order and it used to put me off taking a child which it shouldn't.

She is a loyal ranger, wears the colours,and hates John Terry. I brought her up well as you can see and it's good grounding before we have to leave next season.

So I think the family area should stay.

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 16:26 - May 13 with 923 viewsSussexR

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 11:19 - May 13 by stowmarketrange

Unfortunately one stand has to be changed to accommodate a family stand.The people being moved out of the paddocks could have a similar seat in Ellerslie Rd for a reduced silver price for the duration of our remaining time at Loftus Rd.
How many seats are there in the paddocks?A lot of kids are in there already,so I don't suppose it would more than a couple of hundred forced to move.
There isn't an answer that would please everyone,but it would inconvenience less by using the paddocks in my opinion.

I met with a guy called Andy in Customer Services on Saturday before the game, on this subject, because I also agree that it was a big mistake.

Those who agree should contact him, his email is on the club website.

I have previously written to Phil Beard about it a number of times and never had a reply. Andy is thperson to contat, the more who do the more chance we have of having it changed in some way.
lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 16:36 - May 13 with 914 viewsSussexR

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 16:26 - May 13 by eghamranger

me and my daughter (aged 15) are season ticket holders in the LL and I like sitting there, I used to be in the loft as a kid and I'm lucky as I take her and I can do it.She is 16 in December so this will be the last year.i have renewed for next year which cost £529 which works out £23 per game for us.

The club wont change it this season as people have renewed, but I will have to move next season.

It was brought in cos it put people off taking their kids to football because of the dogs abuse that players were getting and bad behaviour by fans at games.

I used to sit in the LL with my then 10 year old and get a rangers fan next to me calling Cerny a c..t, as a dad you really notice things like that.

It doesn't bother me now as she is older and everyone swears at matches, even in LL, but at some matches people were bang out of order and it used to put me off taking a child which it shouldn't.

She is a loyal ranger, wears the colours,and hates John Terry. I brought her up well as you can see and it's good grounding before we have to leave next season.

Acces to the Family Stand is for those who have kids up to the age of 21 (not 16). the club sells a Family discount ticket in the Lower Loft for 1 adult and 1 under 21.
lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 16:41 - May 13 with 912 viewswombat

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 16:26 - May 13 by SussexR

I met with a guy called Andy in Customer Services on Saturday before the game, on this subject, because I also agree that it was a big mistake.

Those who agree should contact him, his email is on the club website.

I have previously written to Phil Beard about it a number of times and never had a reply. Andy is thperson to contat, the more who do the more chance we have of having it changed in some way.

email sent not expecting a reply to be honest

Poll: which is your favouite foot

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 16:54 - May 13 with 904 viewseghamranger

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 16:36 - May 13 by SussexR

Acces to the Family Stand is for those who have kids up to the age of 21 (not 16). the club sells a Family discount ticket in the Lower Loft for 1 adult and 1 under 21.

Didn't realise that tbh
lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 21:02 - May 13 with 870 viewstiberiuskirk

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 10:04 - May 13 by SomersetHoops

For quite a few years I used to get to the ground early and pay at the turnstiles for the lower loft as did many fans before the all-seater came in. The whole of the loft end of the ground was fiecely QPR and the support for the team came from that end. The singing at R Block seemed to be quite random and various people started new songs there, which if considered good enough, would be taken up by most at that end of the ground. Mainly though it was just clear from the whoops and groans in the loft that the real supporters of the club were there and were willing the team to win.

Since the all seater introduction it seemed to become less passionate and the introduction of the family area there has lost the old atmosphere almost completely. When it was standing in the loft there were a large number of young people there and I used to take my son and one or two of his mates from about eight years old. I told them they would hear swearing, but they weren't allowed to swear themselves (even if I did). I considered it part of their education and don't think we ever encountered anything but excellent behaviour from our fellow fans who always allowed youngsters down the front so their view was clear. In those days opposing fans in their regalia had a hard time of it if they were in the loft and if they showed up at the loft turnstiles wearing an opposition shirt they were told to find a more appropriate part of the ground.

I know its fashionable to have designated family areas, but if we must have that at LR the loft is not the place for it. Phil Beard has come into the club and without regard to the history of the club or proper consultation with the fans, has made a decision which has reduced the ability of proper fans to support their club. Despite many people telling him this decision is wrong it seems he will not accept this mistake and correct it. Its just another example of how little he knows about football and despite the publicity-speak, how little he really cares about QPR fans.

As far as I can tell, Beard is only at the club to be involved with the new ground we keep hearing about and keeps saying the fans will be consulted about its configuration, while at the same time saying he wants to reproduce the atmosphere of Loftus Road there. I don't have much confidence in what he considers to be consultation with the fans and I presume he will consider it right to reproduce another sanitised family area at the QPR end of the new ground as he thinks that was such a good idea at Loftus Road.

Thx somerset, and previous roleybirkin, great points and all valid. Let me add two more, the only bar in the ground is now in the family stand lower loft, many used it before / and at half time at games, lost revenue to the club now. And to give the stand with the best leg room to kids, while forcing others who sat there for that reason due to their large size into seats that are just to small, who now watch games in discomfort, thank you Mr Beard !

Beeeeeeeeeeeeearrrd !!

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 21:11 - May 13 with 815 viewstiberiuskirk

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 11:40 - May 13 by toboboly

Anyone stopped to think if we actually need a "family stand"? How many of you needed a family stand in order to start supporting the club?

Exactly, the kids you see around the ground who aren't in the family stand hear lots of swearing so don't give me the whole "oh but their innocent ears can't be offended" carp.

It is in place to get people who wouldn't normally consider going to football to attend and charging them a shed load to do so. There will be loads of them around next season won't there?

If I see any tw@ts with happy clapper shit I will seriously consider force feeding them it.

If you MUST insist on having a place where kids can be contained (rather than a creche in Westfields) then make the School Lower for them and only give the Upper Loft to away fans.

Correct, too small a ground to really have a family stand, as a kid loved growing up in the land of the giants ( lowerloft ), swearing never bothered me, but those happy clappers ..... those have to be banned !!

PHIL BEARD WE DO NOT WANT TO BE FULHAM / CHELSCUM MARK 2 .... WE ARE QPR !!

Beeeeeeeeeeeeearrrd !!

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 21:18 - May 13 with 813 viewsSussexR

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 21:02 - May 13 by tiberiuskirk

Thx somerset, and previous roleybirkin, great points and all valid. Let me add two more, the only bar in the ground is now in the family stand lower loft, many used it before / and at half time at games, lost revenue to the club now. And to give the stand with the best leg room to kids, while forcing others who sat there for that reason due to their large size into seats that are just to small, who now watch games in discomfort, thank you Mr Beard !

All we can do is pester them with emails complaining I think.
lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 21:21 - May 13 with 811 viewstiberiuskirk

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 10:16 - May 13 by Stanisgod

Already did when we got kicked out last season after having that seat for 10 years as apparently me and Stan junior aren't a family, despite letting others stay. They didn't give a flying .

As you, I and my group of mates did and continue too, not one reply from bread or fernandes !

Beeeeeeeeeeeeearrrd !!

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 21:24 - May 13 with 806 viewstiberiuskirk

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 21:18 - May 13 by SussexR

All we can do is pester them with emails complaining I think.

Wont give up sussexR, this means to much to me, email, twitter, hand written, no escape mr beard !

Beeeeeeeeeeeeearrrd !!

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 21:54 - May 13 with 796 viewsroleybirkin

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 16:26 - May 13 by eghamranger

You wait till ext year and you have to move..... The facilities in the Ellerslie border on derelict and all the best seats are taken by existing season ticket holders. It's not fun.
lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 22:04 - May 13 with 788 viewsStanisgod

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 11:27 - May 13 by daveB

Exactly, all they had to do was leave the people already in there alone and not let any new adult only tickets in, and over time natural wastage would have sorted it.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 22:12 - May 13 with 784 viewsSussexR

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 21:21 - May 13 by tiberiuskirk

As you, I and my group of mates did and continue too, not one reply from bread or fernandes !

Good man, neither will I. Its become a point of principle. There are so many negatives to what they've done, I cant believe they continue to ignore us.
lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 12:17 - May 14 with 756 viewsQPunkR

There is absolutely no need for a family stand for my tuppence, gotta agree with the vast majority on this (baaa!)

I accept some people will want a 'tamer' area to take their kids, I'd suggest in the absence of a family stand they look at Paddocks/South Africa Rd.
How many of us started out coming to the Club through a family stand?? It's simply not needed. Just because a ground doesn't have a designated family stand, doesn't mean it doesn't welcome kids and families!

QPR - "shit but local"

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 12:54 - May 14 with 746 viewsA40Bosh

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 12:17 - May 14 by QPunkR

There is absolutely no need for a family stand for my tuppence, gotta agree with the vast majority on this (baaa!)

I accept some people will want a 'tamer' area to take their kids, I'd suggest in the absence of a family stand they look at Paddocks/South Africa Rd.
How many of us started out coming to the Club through a family stand?? It's simply not needed. Just because a ground doesn't have a designated family stand, doesn't mean it doesn't welcome kids and families!

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with that statement.

With or without a family stand, LR if not a place for cultivating the support of families and making it an inclusive experience for them.

SAR is not any better than anywhere else. But any time I try to make a reasoned argument for needing at least some consideration given to the younger generation, me and others get accused of trying to turn Loftus Road into a Church or a library.

It is not good enough to simply say "tell your kids to ignore the swearing" or "don't bring them if they are too sensitive". I have 3 girls who will say they are QPR supporters if asked, but they wont step foot in the place because of the experiences they had on the first few times I took them - and that was in the LL. It is not even about the swearing, although I cannot understand why any grown man who has any self respect would use the C word knowing that there are young children in their immediate vicinity. It is the hostile atmosphere at is more than often present any time something goes wrong and the minute it goes wrong.

There are certain elements of every teams support base whose very life contentment appears to revolve around arriving at their boozer of choice on the stroke of opening time, lash down as many pints as they can before 2:48pm (hence their hatred of 12:45 kick offs) and then spend the next 90 mins screaming dogs abuse at either the opposing fans, the opposition players, the ref, our own players and using every known swear word known to man regardless of who is around them. The actual football appears of secondary concern. I am talking about things that go well beyond general banter and singing songs.

Then there are those people who claim that if you get rid of the family area altogether, then magically the entire Loft End will turn into a 10K strong choir who will sing mighty songs for 90 mins and the atmosphere will be electric at every game.

Perhaps the Club have got the thinking wrong, instead of insisting on a Family Stand they should create a "Loyal Supporters" stand where all those who believe they retain the right to come in to the ground and act exactly as they see fit and sod everyone else can stand in there.

God help us if Uncle Tony actually does build a 40K stadium and the loyal supporters will have to endure even more Air Asia special guests and friends, Johnny come latelys and tourists who pollute the "special atmosphere" of HQ.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 12:58 - May 14 with 738 viewsdaveB

lLower Loft should not be the family stand on 12:54 - May 14 by A40Bosh

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with that statement.

With or without a family stand, LR if not a place for cultivating the support of families and making it an inclusive experience for them.

SAR is not any better than anywhere else. But any time I try to make a reasoned argument for needing at least some consideration given to the younger generation, me and others get accused of trying to turn Loftus Road into a Church or a library.

It is not good enough to simply say "tell your kids to ignore the swearing" or "don't bring them if they are too sensitive". I have 3 girls who will say they are QPR supporters if asked, but they wont step foot in the place because of the experiences they had on the first few times I took them - and that was in the LL. It is not even about the swearing, although I cannot understand why any grown man who has any self respect would use the C word knowing that there are young children in their immediate vicinity. It is the hostile atmosphere at is more than often present any time something goes wrong and the minute it goes wrong.

There are certain elements of every teams support base whose very life contentment appears to revolve around arriving at their boozer of choice on the stroke of opening time, lash down as many pints as they can before 2:48pm (hence their hatred of 12:45 kick offs) and then spend the next 90 mins screaming dogs abuse at either the opposing fans, the opposition players, the ref, our own players and using every known swear word known to man regardless of who is around them. The actual football appears of secondary concern. I am talking about things that go well beyond general banter and singing songs.

Then there are those people who claim that if you get rid of the family area altogether, then magically the entire Loft End will turn into a 10K strong choir who will sing mighty songs for 90 mins and the atmosphere will be electric at every game.

Perhaps the Club have got the thinking wrong, instead of insisting on a Family Stand they should create a "Loyal Supporters" stand where all those who believe they retain the right to come in to the ground and act exactly as they see fit and sod everyone else can stand in there.

God help us if Uncle Tony actually does build a 40K stadium and the loyal supporters will have to endure even more Air Asia special guests and friends, Johnny come latelys and tourists who pollute the "special atmosphere" of HQ.

+1 what he said
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024