Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
At least we can beat a Milan team 21:31 - Apr 15 with 3040 viewsPatfromPoole

As tonight’s viewing provided by Saints has reminded me.

Eat it, 130.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

At least we can beat a Milan team on 21:34 - Apr 15 with 1573 viewsPatfromPoole

My, how they wailed in the stands.....

At least we can beat a Milan team on 00:11 - Apr 16 with 1521 viewsthis_charming_man

I fell asleep during boring claudes pre match interview and missed the game. I woke up 3 hours later to see we’d won sums up his era.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

At least we can beat a Milan team on 09:02 - Apr 16 with 1429 viewsPatfromPoole

At least we can beat a Milan team on 00:11 - Apr 16 by this_charming_man

I fell asleep during boring claudes pre match interview and missed the game. I woke up 3 hours later to see we’d won sums up his era.

Good organisation, yes?

At least we can beat a Milan team on 11:21 - Apr 16 with 1384 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

When Pompey almost beat Milan, they had been Champions League winners and European Super Cup winners just over a year earlier. A tremendous side.

When Soton beat Inter, they were a bit average weren't they?

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

At least we can beat a Milan team on 11:53 - Apr 16 with 1372 viewsPatfromPoole

At least we can beat a Milan team on 11:21 - Apr 16 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

When Pompey almost beat Milan, they had been Champions League winners and European Super Cup winners just over a year earlier. A tremendous side.

When Soton beat Inter, they were a bit average weren't they?

Is that why AC Milan were in the Europa League, as they were such a top side?

At least we can beat a Milan team on 12:28 - Apr 16 with 1353 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

At least we can beat a Milan team on 11:53 - Apr 16 by PatfromPoole

When Pompey played Milan they were a perennial Champions League team, they just missed out on retaining their place the season before and had to settle for one solitary season in the Europa cup before they regained it that season, and went on to do a league and cup double a couple of years later.

When Soton played Milan they were an occasional Europa Cup team who hadn't won anything for 5 years (and still haven't).

Spot the difference

At least we can beat a Milan team on 12:52 - Apr 16 with 1346 viewsthis_charming_man

Looks like another win for Pompey this one

Even though in 2007/08 Milan finished 5th to make the Europa league in 2008/09 and in 2015/16 inter finished 4th to make the Europa league in 2016/17 and despite the fact we beat inter and Pompey only nearly beat Milan the fact doesn’t change that three years after Pompey nearly beat them Milan won the Serie A again. I’m not really sure how anyone can argue against the fact that Pompeys draw was the superior result.

At least we can beat a Milan team on 13:26 - Apr 16 with 1323 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

At least we can beat a Milan team on 12:52 - Apr 16 by this_charming_man

Even though in 2007/08 Milan finished 5th to make the Europa league in 2008/09 and in 2015/16 inter finished 4th to make the Europa league in 2016/17 and despite the fact we beat inter and Pompey only nearly beat Milan the fact doesn’t change that three years after Pompey nearly beat them Milan won the Serie A again. I’m not really sure how anyone can argue against the fact that Pompeys draw was the superior result.

Almost there,

When you played Inter, they were a Europa cup team who would end up finishing 7th in their league during that season. They occasionally played in Europe.

When we played AC, they were surprisingly a Europa cup team who would go onto to finish 3rd that season (behind 2nd on goal difference). 15 months earlier they were European Super cup winners, and a couple of month before that European Champions.

If you looked at their team, you would recognise most of their players. Conversely, the Inter team will be full of unheard players.

Login to get fewer ads

At least we can beat a Milan team on 13:50 - Apr 16 with 1306 viewsthis_charming_man

At least we can beat a Milan team on 13:26 - Apr 16 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Almost there,

When you played Inter, they were a Europa cup team who would end up finishing 7th in their league during that season. They occasionally played in Europe.

When we played AC, they were surprisingly a Europa cup team who would go onto to finish 3rd that season (behind 2nd on goal difference). 15 months earlier they were European Super cup winners, and a couple of month before that European Champions.

If you looked at their team, you would recognise most of their players. Conversely, the Inter team will be full of unheard players.

Another very good point as only further emphasised the superiority of the Pompey draw.

I know only 3 of the ac Milan team which won the champions league the previous season started the game at fratton park but the point shouldn’t be ignored. Only emphasises the gulf in quality between the two teams that no one would have heard of Handanovic, D’Ambrosio, Miranda, Perisic, Icardi or Banega to name just a few when we played inter.

Factoring all that in not only was nearly beating Milan a better result than us actually beating Inter It’s probably the best ever result in Europe for any club south of the M4.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2020 13:51]

At least we can beat a Milan team on 14:16 - Apr 16 with 1280 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

At least we can beat a Milan team on 13:50 - Apr 16 by this_charming_man

Another very good point as only further emphasised the superiority of the Pompey draw.

I know only 3 of the ac Milan team which won the champions league the previous season started the game at fratton park but the point shouldn’t be ignored. Only emphasises the gulf in quality between the two teams that no one would have heard of Handanovic, D’Ambrosio, Miranda, Perisic, Icardi or Banega to name just a few when we played inter.

Factoring all that in not only was nearly beating Milan a better result than us actually beating Inter It’s probably the best ever result in Europe for any club south of the M4.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2020 13:51]

AC Milan: Dida, Zambrotta, Favalli, Senderos, Antonini, Gattuso (Seedorf 65), Emerson, Flamini, Kaka (Alexandre Pato 74), Inzaghi, Shevchenko (Ronaldinho 74).
Subs Not Used: Kalac, Kaladze, Pirlo, Bonera.

What a shame Pirlo didn't play, but we still saw 6 or 7 players of sheer class.

This from the BBC website in 2016. I think the last paragraph sums it up rather nicely.

"The fortunes of the two clubs back in the 2009-10 season could not have been more stark.

Inter were being managed by Jose Mourinho, had a star-studded squad led by Javier Zanetti and Samuel Eto'o, and went on to win an unprecedented Champions League, Serie A and Coppa Italia treble.

Southampton won the Johnstone's Paint Trophy. And, after entering administration the previous year, they went on to finish seventh in League One.

No wonder a fervent home crowd of over 30,000 greeted this victory with the sort of elation usually reserved for a trophy-lifting celebration.

The Nerazzurri are far from the force of old, lacking the star names of years gone by and unable to replicate their success as a consequence".

At least we can beat a Milan team on 14:19 - Apr 16 with 1281 viewsJaySaint

If I remember rightly, for at least a half (probably more), Pompey were in control of the game, then the goal poacher extraordinaire - Inzaghi came to life!

Likewise, our game against Inter was another cracker!

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

At least we can beat a Milan team on 14:53 - Apr 16 with 1254 viewsdirk_doone

At least we can beat a Milan team on 12:52 - Apr 16 by this_charming_man

Serie A Table of Last 25 Seasons
1 Juventus FC
2 FC Internazionale Milano
3 AS Roma
4 AC Milan
5 SS Lazio
6 ACF Fiorentina

https://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/league.htm
[Post edited 16 Apr 2020 15:01]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

At least we can beat a Milan team on 15:01 - Apr 16 with 1244 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

At least we can beat a Milan team on 14:19 - Apr 16 by JaySaint

If I remember rightly, for at least a half (probably more), Pompey were in control of the game, then the goal poacher extraordinaire - Inzaghi came to life!

Likewise, our game against Inter was another cracker!

I think if you are being honest, beating Inter Milan was probably the 2nd greatest moment in your club's history, albeit a team with no real stars.

Whereas for Pompey, almost beating a Milan team who went to 2 CL finals, who had 5 superb Brazilians, the only Brazilian goalkeeper to win the Brazilian player of the year, 2 world footballer's of the year, the greatest ever Ukranian footballer, the 4th highest goal scorer in European club competitions of all time, Milan's all time goal scorer in International competitions, multiple champions league winners, the only player to have ever won the Champions League with 3 different clubs, and 6 world cup winners, it is about the 8th or 9th greatest moment in our club's history.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2020 17:53]

At least we can beat a Milan team on 15:19 - Apr 16 with 1233 viewsdirk_doone

At least we can beat a Milan team on 14:53 - Apr 16 by dirk_doone

Serie A Table of Last 25 Seasons
1 Juventus FC
2 FC Internazionale Milano
3 AS Roma
4 AC Milan
5 SS Lazio
6 ACF Fiorentina

https://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/league.htm
[Post edited 16 Apr 2020 15:01]

Saints have qualified for Europe 9 times and played 34 matches in major European competitions.

How many seasons have Little Pompey played in major European competitions?

And, as you can see from the crowd, the Anglo Italian Cup, obviously doesn't count as a major European competition:

http://pompeyrama.com/pompey-fc-match-2253-8-Dec-1992-Pompey-2-Lucchese-1.html

[Post edited 16 Apr 2020 15:26]

At least we can beat a Milan team on 16:07 - Apr 16 with 1199 viewskingslandstand1

At least we can beat a Milan team on 21:34 - Apr 15 by PatfromPoole

My, how they wailed in the stands.....

They just don't like playing against teams with a red stripe in the shirt
At least we can beat a Milan team on 16:08 - Apr 16 with 1200 viewsVagina_Dentata

At least we can beat a Milan team on 15:01 - Apr 16 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

I think if you are being honest, beating Inter Milan was probably the 2nd greatest moment in your club's history, albeit a team with no real stars.

Whereas for Pompey, almost beating a Milan team who went to 2 CL finals, who had 5 superb Brazilians, the only Brazilian goalkeeper to win the Brazilian player of the year, 2 world footballer's of the year, the greatest ever Ukranian footballer, the 4th highest goal scorer in European club competitions of all time, Milan's all time goal scorer in International competitions, multiple champions league winners, the only player to have ever won the Champions League with 3 different clubs, and 6 world cup winners, it is about the 8th or 9th greatest moment in our club's history.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2020 17:53]

Conceding an injury time equaliser is the 8th greatest moment in your clubs history?

you can drink your weak lemon drink now.

At least we can beat a Milan team on 16:46 - Apr 16 with 1173 viewsPatfromPoole

At least we can beat a Milan team on 16:08 - Apr 16 by Vagina_Dentata

Conceding an injury time equaliser is the 8th greatest moment in your clubs history?

The top 7 all relate to basketballing triumphs, sir.

At least we can beat a Milan team on 17:43 - Apr 16 with 1152 viewsTimSaint

At least we can beat a Milan team on 11:53 - Apr 16 by PatfromPoole

Imagine if their game had been away in the San Siro. The number of fans they took there would probably have increased in the same way their numbers did for that Liverpool Cup game.

TimSaint

At least we can beat a Milan team on 17:51 - Apr 16 with 1142 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

At least we can beat a Milan team on 16:46 - Apr 16 by PatfromPoole

The top 7 all relate to basketballing triumphs, sir.

Sadly not, even though I realise that our basketball team was very successful for such a short lived club ie 2 national titles, and 4 cup finals. In fact in terms of trophies per year, we are probably the most successful British Basketball team ever.

Our basketball team dominance is a bit similar to the football one to be honest, 2 titles to zero, with your team having a better longevity. I wonder if you have higher attendances: that is obviously the most important thing.

At least we can beat a Milan team on 18:16 - Apr 16 with 1131 viewsPatfromPoole

At least we can beat a Milan team on 17:51 - Apr 16 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Sadly not, even though I realise that our basketball team was very successful for such a short lived club ie 2 national titles, and 4 cup finals. In fact in terms of trophies per year, we are probably the most successful British Basketball team ever.

Our basketball team dominance is a bit similar to the football one to be honest, 2 titles to zero, with your team having a better longevity. I wonder if you have higher attendances: that is obviously the most important thing.

There are parallels.

Trophies won by paying for players you couldn’t afford.

Did the basketball club welch on debts for mince pies and St. John’s Ambulance as well?

At least we can beat a Milan team on 18:37 - Apr 16 with 1116 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

At least we can beat a Milan team on 18:16 - Apr 16 by PatfromPoole

There are parallels.

Trophies won by paying for players you couldn’t afford.

Did the basketball club welch on debts for mince pies and St. John’s Ambulance as well?

"There are parallels. "

I agree, Pompey back to back championships, and one of the best teams ever, and Soton not doing too much.

Eastleigh Spitfires /Stars being more glamorous than the Kestrels/ Saints
[Post edited 16 Apr 2020 18:38]

At least we can beat a Milan team on 18:42 - Apr 16 with 1112 viewsWints76

Haven't Saints beaten existing European Champions several times throughout our history? I think most recently against Chelsea in 2013. Certainly beat Villa in 82 as well (possibly their first defeat after becoming champions?). Probably Forest after their two victories. Away at Liverpool in 81.
At least we can beat a Milan team on 19:02 - Apr 16 with 1098 viewsdirk_doone

At least we can beat a Milan team on 18:42 - Apr 16 by Wints76

Haven't Saints beaten existing European Champions several times throughout our history? I think most recently against Chelsea in 2013. Certainly beat Villa in 82 as well (possibly their first defeat after becoming champions?). Probably Forest after their two victories. Away at Liverpool in 81.

When we beat Anderlecht at the Dell in the ECWC quarter-final, they were arguably the reigning European champions as they ('76 UEFA Cup winners) had beaten Bayern Munich ('76 European Cup winners) in the 1976 European Super Cup.

But, when comparing our 2 clubs' European pedigrees, we still come back to my original question:

Saints have qualified for Europe 9 times and played 34 matches in major European competitions. How many seasons have Little Pompey played in major European competitions?
[Post edited 16 Apr 2020 19:03]

At least we can beat a Milan team on 19:05 - Apr 16 with 1093 viewsTheMoog

A league double over Man Utd in 68/69.

Standby to standby

At least we can beat a Milan team on 19:28 - Apr 16 with 1073 viewsPatfromPoole

We also beat Liverpool about 3 months before they won the Champions League Final in 2005.

And yet we still got relegated.

That pisses all over the Pomps drawing with AC Milan’s over the hill prima donnas. Except for Inzaghi, who will always be a God in my eyes.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024