Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City Hover 10:25 - Mar 23 with 2219 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/54612/it-is-career-or-ca

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 10:30 - Mar 23 with 1603 viewssaints__fan__73

He looks completely shot since returning from injury. Certainly not the same player that was scoring for fun as he did in the post-lockdown games last season and up until the injury this one. That player was on a par with Aguero and Kane.

The version we have now is a direct Shane Long replacement. Charges around the pitch but always a step behind the game and never looking likely to score.

I would consider the wisdom in offering him 100k per week for 3 or 4 years. He will be 29 in the Summer and quite possibly his knees have had now had one surgery too many.

If City are stupid enough to offer £30m for him take it, but I don't think they are.

Otherwise just let him see out his deal and offer him a new contract next season if his form returns.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 10:51 - Mar 23 with 1576 viewsButty101

Text book Nick article....

Start talking about one subject. Finish off by having a pop at the fans....

"If that doesn't sound the sort of football club you want to support, then Saints isn't your team, throughout our history this is the way we operate and the way we have managed to compete with the big clubs, money is no guarantee of success !"

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 10:59 - Mar 23 with 1565 viewssaints__fan__73

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 10:51 - Mar 23 by Butty101

"If that doesn't sound the sort of football club you want to support, then Saints isn't your team, throughout our history this is the way we operate and the way we have managed to compete with the big clubs, money is no guarantee of success !"

To be blunt, there could have been a mention about how Newcastle, Everton and Liverpool fans would be doing so much better.

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 11:11 - Mar 23 with 1550 viewsPoirot

I doubt this so called clause was ten million more double that I expect. But the clause is just an insult really let’s be honest and just shafts the club. Which is exactly what Ings is doing running down his contract. The only winner for that will be him and his agent. No doubt he’s behind this laughable Man City media link. We will struggle to get £15m with one year left and current injury situation. Then we will no doubt have to give Liverpool a wedge for selling on. I think most speculators would say West Ham might take a punt and give him the wages he’s wanting.
It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 11:34 - Mar 23 with 1527 viewsDorsetIan

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 10:51 - Mar 23 by Butty101

I don't mind him being so stubborn about his view on Gao, the club's finances etc - he's entitled to his view.

But why he feels the need to keep sniping at anyone who takes a different view, I really don't know. Maybe it is all just clickbait, but it is coming across as obsessive now.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 11:47 - Mar 23 with 1518 viewsSaintNick

It is text book, can you tell me that despite a lifetime of Saints operating in this way, some seem to think that success is just a matter of throwing money at things.

Doses of reality are needed around these parts at times and it should be pointed out that I am having a pop at a very vocal minority on social media, 90 % of our fans are fine with things

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 11:53 - Mar 23 with 1507 viewsDorsetIan

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 11:47 - Mar 23 by SaintNick

It is text book, can you tell me that despite a lifetime of Saints operating in this way, some seem to think that success is just a matter of throwing money at things.

Doses of reality are needed around these parts at times and it should be pointed out that I am having a pop at a very vocal minority on social media, 90 % of our fans are fine with things

'90% of our fans are fine with things'

That's just delusional, and it takes away from any arguments you might have about Gao's way being the right way.

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 12:11 - Mar 23 with 1494 viewsButty101

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 11:47 - Mar 23 by SaintNick

Why is a dose of reality required? I dont follow social media personally so cant comment on it. However looking on here and talking to people, i dont know anyone shouting the club must must spend millions and millions and can compete with the top 6.

I think some humble pie on your part is required and show a bit of respect for your fellow supporters.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Login to get fewer ads

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 12:14 - Mar 23 with 1489 viewsSaintNick

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 11:53 - Mar 23 by DorsetIan

'90% of our fans are fine with things'

That's just delusional, and it takes away from any arguments you might have about Gao's way being the right way.

I should perhaps clarify what I mean here, 90% of our fans are accepting of the type of club Saints are, they do not expect us to be paying £70 million for a player.

There are a vocal minority though who seem to think all our problems are down to Gao, that his failure to invest £100's of millions of his own money is holding us back.

They think that he should just walk away and sell the club, as if it is as simple as that, they seem to think Gao is sat back holding out for a big offer and in the process strangling the club as it could now be having a multi billionaire funding it.

They seem to think that if someone pumped money in we would be immediately a top 6 side.

This site gives an opinion, sometimes that opinion isn't popular, sometimes it is wrong, but it is my opinion and i always base it on evidence.

People tell me how bad Gao is but they don't offer any solutions other than "he should sell up and go" but this is 2021, it isn't a case of the local business man stepping aside and letting someone else have a go.

Would I rather have another owner than Gao ? Yes of course I would, but i understand the facts behind why he hasn't become the owner he suggested he would be or indeed wanted to be, do you think he thought Ill just park £200 million in buying Southampton football club for a few years ?

One thing Gao has done is keep the club running as a business, if he had abandoned it completely we would be in trouble, we would collapse like a pack of cards as pompey did when their owner did just that 10 years or so ago

Be careful what you wish for, we are in a position that for now we can't do much about, the club is the club and Gao is Gao, they are separate, we need to back the club to help it survive and hopefully at some point a new owner will come along or China will make peace with the West and perhaps Gao might start being able to invest.

Saints are far from the only club in this position, we might think we should be top 6 but we are still top 14 and there are many clubs who envy our current situation.

Now I have tried to give a reasoned opinion, you give me your reasoned opinion about what can be done about the situation as it stands

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 12:18 - Mar 23 with 1485 viewssaints__fan__73

The financial issues the club are experiencing, and why we are sending Ralph into a gunfight with a spud gun, are all down to those geniuses Reed and Kreuger. But hey, they rescued the club from Nasty Nic so what else do we want?

Oh for those days when the only financial issues the club had were going a few million over budget on Staplewood, eh?

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 12:33 - Mar 23 with 1468 viewsSadoldgit

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 12:18 - Mar 23 by saints__fan__73

The financial issues the club are experiencing, and why we are sending Ralph into a gunfight with a spud gun, are all down to those geniuses Reed and Kreuger. But hey, they rescued the club from Nasty Nic so what else do we want?

Oh for those days when the only financial issues the club had were going a few million over budget on Staplewood, eh?

I think it was a bigger problem than that.
It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 12:47 - Mar 23 with 1460 views1teeminants

Leicester City are a perfect example of how a club like saints can achieve things. They’ve sold a few but these players have been replaced by an owner who is willing to invest in a football club. Leicester were no bigger than us a few years ago ,now look at them.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 13:46 - Mar 23 with 1408 viewsclunk76

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 12:47 - Mar 23 by 1teeminants

Leicester City are a perfect example of how a club like saints can achieve things. They’ve sold a few but these players have been replaced by an owner who is willing to invest in a football club. Leicester were no bigger than us a few years ago ,now look at them.

This
It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 14:17 - Mar 23 with 1377 viewssaints__fan__73

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 12:33 - Mar 23 by Sadoldgit

I think it was a bigger problem than that.

Not really, no. The problems of COVID to the club pale into insignificance compared to the financial mess Reed and Kreuger left us in. £30m+ in fees and wages for Carrillo's half dozen or so goaless games. Our 3rd choice keeper last season was on 70k per week, the money wasted on Boufal, the fact are still paying most, if not all of the wages of Lemina, Elynousi and Hoedt while they are at other clubs, etc, etc, etc.

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 14:28 - Mar 23 with 1369 viewskingolaf

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 12:14 - Mar 23 by SaintNick

I should perhaps clarify what I mean here, 90% of our fans are accepting of the type of club Saints are, they do not expect us to be paying £70 million for a player.

There are a vocal minority though who seem to think all our problems are down to Gao, that his failure to invest £100's of millions of his own money is holding us back.

They think that he should just walk away and sell the club, as if it is as simple as that, they seem to think Gao is sat back holding out for a big offer and in the process strangling the club as it could now be having a multi billionaire funding it.

They seem to think that if someone pumped money in we would be immediately a top 6 side.

This site gives an opinion, sometimes that opinion isn't popular, sometimes it is wrong, but it is my opinion and i always base it on evidence.

People tell me how bad Gao is but they don't offer any solutions other than "he should sell up and go" but this is 2021, it isn't a case of the local business man stepping aside and letting someone else have a go.

Would I rather have another owner than Gao ? Yes of course I would, but i understand the facts behind why he hasn't become the owner he suggested he would be or indeed wanted to be, do you think he thought Ill just park £200 million in buying Southampton football club for a few years ?

One thing Gao has done is keep the club running as a business, if he had abandoned it completely we would be in trouble, we would collapse like a pack of cards as pompey did when their owner did just that 10 years or so ago

Be careful what you wish for, we are in a position that for now we can't do much about, the club is the club and Gao is Gao, they are separate, we need to back the club to help it survive and hopefully at some point a new owner will come along or China will make peace with the West and perhaps Gao might start being able to invest.

Saints are far from the only club in this position, we might think we should be top 6 but we are still top 14 and there are many clubs who envy our current situation.

Now I have tried to give a reasoned opinion, you give me your reasoned opinion about what can be done about the situation as it stands

Who are these people?

I haven’t met any.
It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 16:19 - Mar 23 with 1309 viewsDorsetIan

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 12:14 - Mar 23 by SaintNick

We've been over this so many times.

As I have said elsewhere above, you are entitled to your opinion, which seems to be genuinely held.

What I object to is that you mischaracterise anyone who disagrees with you as being (essentially) a naive idiot who you assume is dreaming of a billionaire owner who will throw millions at the club.

And then you come out with the nonsense that '90% of fans are fine' with things.

Most reasonably fans understand that Gao has been bad news for Saints. Maybe not the worst owner ever but really difficult to find too many positives about his period of ownership. We are financially constrained with him as owner, and we need an owner whose hands aren't tied in quite the same way. We might then be able to 'move to the next level' as the saying goes.

Currently we are stuck. And I can't see too much improving while Gao remains in charge.

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 17:11 - Mar 23 with 1263 viewsSadoldgit

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 14:17 - Mar 23 by saints__fan__73

Not really, no. The problems of COVID to the club pale into insignificance compared to the financial mess Reed and Kreuger left us in. £30m+ in fees and wages for Carrillo's half dozen or so goaless games. Our 3rd choice keeper last season was on 70k per week, the money wasted on Boufal, the fact are still paying most, if not all of the wages of Lemina, Elynousi and Hoedt while they are at other clubs, etc, etc, etc.

Nasty Nic as you refer to him didn’t exactly leave the club in a good position financially.
It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 17:28 - Mar 23 with 1249 viewssaints__fan__73

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 17:11 - Mar 23 by Sadoldgit

Nasty Nic as you refer to him didn’t exactly leave the club in a good position financially.

Explain.

The accounts of the time we were in the PL when he was CEO (and the ones immediately after) showed us turning large profits. The losses have only started in recent years.

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 21:43 - Mar 23 with 1150 viewskingslandstand1

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 12:47 - Mar 23 by 1teeminants

But they are fortunate enough to have an owner who can afford to invest in the club. That was highlighted after their game against Utd when they showed their transfer movments and all of the incomings. Must have been about 10-12 names with minimun £20m outlay

Ok, they also sold a few big names but, and I'm sounding like a Newcastle fan now, until we get an owner who cares about the club enough to invest properly, we won't be able to compete as Leicester do

But you are absolutely right, we are a club of similar size and standing in theory. i'd even go as far as to say we should be above them in stature if you look at top division standing etc and years in that top division.
It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 22:12 - Mar 23 with 1134 viewsBlue

No substance in these rumours at all.

Still stood in the Kippax

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 22:50 - Mar 23 with 1105 viewskingslandstand1

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 22:12 - Mar 23 by Blue

No substance in these rumours at all.

Paper talk and Talksport airtime space

Everyone on TS was gushing about what great move it would be for him and how he would be the ideal Aguero replacement and carry on scoring 20+ goals with the improved service he would get. They were also saying how sad it would be for Saints fans but basically that's football life and we'll get over it ..........

TBF, Lee Grant who used to room with him at Burnley came on and as well as saying how well he would do there, but also said how loyal he is and would appreciate what Saints have done for his career

Then I heard Alex Crook on there and his view was that it's more unlikely than likely to happen, about 60/40 to stay

Also nearly all were saying (and no disrespect Blue), that City fans wouldn't want him as he would not be a "glamour" signing
It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 08:51 - Mar 24 with 1013 viewskernow

Danny (and his agent) will cash out.
Would expect nothing less in reality.
It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 11:12 - Mar 24 with 966 views1teeminants

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 21:43 - Mar 23 by kingslandstand1

But they are fortunate enough to have an owner who can afford to invest in the club. That was highlighted after their game against Utd when they showed their transfer movments and all of the incomings. Must have been about 10-12 names with minimun £20m outlay

Ok, they also sold a few big names but, and I'm sounding like a Newcastle fan now, until we get an owner who cares about the club enough to invest properly, we won't be able to compete as Leicester do

But you are absolutely right, we are a club of similar size and standing in theory. i'd even go as far as to say we should be above them in stature if you look at top division standing etc and years in that top division.

Yes mate I never said our owner could afford it I was just giving an example of what could happen to a club of our size with the right owner.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 21:13 - Mar 25 with 793 viewsBlue

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 22:50 - Mar 23 by kingslandstand1

Paper talk and Talksport airtime space

Everyone on TS was gushing about what great move it would be for him and how he would be the ideal Aguero replacement and carry on scoring 20+ goals with the improved service he would get. They were also saying how sad it would be for Saints fans but basically that's football life and we'll get over it ..........

TBF, Lee Grant who used to room with him at Burnley came on and as well as saying how well he would do there, but also said how loyal he is and would appreciate what Saints have done for his career

Then I heard Alex Crook on there and his view was that it's more unlikely than likely to happen, about 60/40 to stay

Also nearly all were saying (and no disrespect Blue), that City fans wouldn't want him as he would not be a "glamour" signing

No disrespect at all.

Some of our fans have become, or are becoming very spoilt, luckily most of us are the same as before the takeover.

I think Danny Ings would score bucketloads in this City side, he's a quality striker.

Still stood in the Kippax

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 09:06 - Mar 26 with 709 viewsSaintNick

It Is Career Or Cash Decision For Both Danny Ings And Southampton As Man City H on 21:13 - Mar 25 by Blue

No disrespect at all.

Some of our fans have become, or are becoming very spoilt, luckily most of us are the same as before the takeover.

I think Danny Ings would score bucketloads in this City side, he's a quality striker.

I would point out at this stage that I have no animosity towards Man City fans, my hatred is aimed at the system that has turned football into what it has become, we love our clubs but at Premier League level they have become all the things most who have been going to the matches hate.

We want our teams to be at the top and compete, but there comes a time that money rules and it doesn't matter how much you have there is someone with more and that means that they can buy better players etc, the Premier League is like formula one, it is all about who has the most money so can build the best car, the rest then just make up the numbers

Sadly I think the Premier League needs to cast adrift those who crave European and World glory and get back to a Premier League that is competitive

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024