Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's 12:50 - Oct 9 with 2644 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/61049/southampton-midfie

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 13:01 - Oct 9 with 2202 viewsfelly1

A natural reaction from supporters when you've just blown a rare home win against the worst team in the division.
It's easy for the likes of Flynn Downes and the manager to have digs at the fans but these individuals probably won't be in the next few years.
2 home wins from 6 home games this season.
A ratio over the last 3 seasons of 1 win every 4 home games.
We're a traumatised, defeated and pretty fed supporter base who pay lots of money and go home fed up .
Really sorry Flynn..we'll all try much harder next time.
Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 13:02 - Oct 9 with 2201 viewsRon11

Having not been here last season, Downes doesn't realise or understand what a bunch of shit Saints fans have had to put up with, especially last season, and the non productive tippy tap has been with us even longer.
To go from a dominant first half with a 1-0 lead and then go back to the sideways stuff in the second half and inevitably conceding an equaliser after so much dominance tells me the boos were aimed at Martin, not the players, for his disastrous change of tactics trying to protect a 1-0 lead, which was mindblowingly stupid.
Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 13:09 - Oct 9 with 2191 viewsPatfromPoole

There were those who claimed Flynn Downes would be a more than suitable replacement for Ward-Prowse.

Even Martin laughably claimed that we would not have conceded 4 goals against Norwich, had Downes been in the team.

Bin the absolute bell-end off and give Shea Charles a much-deserved run in the team,

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 13:13 - Oct 9 with 2187 viewssaint22

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 13:09 - Oct 9 by PatfromPoole

There were those who claimed Flynn Downes would be a more than suitable replacement for Ward-Prowse.

Even Martin laughably claimed that we would not have conceded 4 goals against Norwich, had Downes been in the team.

Bin the absolute bell-end off and give Shea Charles a much-deserved run in the team,

This
We were crying out for Charles in that second half yet we get Aribo
Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 13:27 - Oct 9 with 2170 viewsPatfromPoole

It is difficult to think of many examples in life where a highly-paid individual (I'm not going to call him a player, that would be an undue compliment) can get away with calling his employer's customers "mental".

I would return him to West Ham now. We don't need pond life like him at the club.

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 14:07 - Oct 9 with 2117 viewssaint901

Mr Downes knows that his chance of a bonus depends to a degree on what the manager thinks rather than what the supporters think.

I'd like to say that the supporters ultimately pay that bonus but the financial value of the fan base is very much secondary now to the TV money.

If Mr Downes really is concrerned and baffled then perhaps he should show some courage and leadership and tell the players to ignore the managers "way of playing" and actually do what is needed to win the game.

Do the basics. Defend with conviction and purpose and some discipline.

Play the ball forward and not sideways.

Take some responsibility and shoot at the goal.

Perhaps when he has displayed those qualities and has grown up a little he will understand.
Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 14:29 - Oct 9 with 2077 views1885_SFC

Surely both Downes and Russell Martin realise that the fans are carrying a lot of scar tissue from last season?

Old School is Cool

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 14:51 - Oct 9 with 2047 viewscocklebreath

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 13:09 - Oct 9 by PatfromPoole

Charles always improves us when he comes on so now he doesn’t get a game, I really don’t understand some of Russell’s decisions

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Login to get fewer ads

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 14:52 - Oct 9 with 2049 viewsButty101

“I’m not going to say too much because we need their support. When we are playing at home, we are playing a style that no one else wants to play – all the players need the confidence.
Yes a style no one else want to implement because it’s dull as dish water and leads to mid table obscurity.

If he cant see why a 100mill squad cant dismantle the worst team in the league that cost 5 mill to put together, then he is a moron.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 15:05 - Oct 9 with 2031 views1885_SFC

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 14:51 - Oct 9 by cocklebreath

Charles always improves us when he comes on so now he doesn’t get a game, I really don’t understand some of Russell’s decisions

Russell's our own version of Gareth Southgate. He picks his mates, not the ones in good form or with more skill. If you bring an apple to the training ground each morning or have a tongue that is long & silky smooth - then you're playing Saturday.

Old School is Cool

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 15:09 - Oct 9 with 2031 viewsSaintNick

Am I missing something, they are constantly referred to as the worst team in the League, but the table shows they are 3 points and one place above Sheffield Wednesday

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 15:11 - Oct 9 with 2029 viewsSaintNick

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 14:07 - Oct 9 by saint901

Mr Downes knows that his chance of a bonus depends to a degree on what the manager thinks rather than what the supporters think.

I'd like to say that the supporters ultimately pay that bonus but the financial value of the fan base is very much secondary now to the TV money.

If Mr Downes really is concrerned and baffled then perhaps he should show some courage and leadership and tell the players to ignore the managers "way of playing" and actually do what is needed to win the game.

Do the basics. Defend with conviction and purpose and some discipline.

Play the ball forward and not sideways.

Take some responsibility and shoot at the goal.

Perhaps when he has displayed those qualities and has grown up a little he will understand.

Im not sure what the manager thinks affects anyones bonus Downes will be being paid his full West Ham salary and he will get that whether Saints win lose or draw.

The insults thrown at him are a little out of order, I have seen nothing in his performances to suggest that he is giving less than 100%, the easiest thing for him to do was just keep quiet, but he is big enough to stand up and say what he believes in and put his name to it.

That shows a bit of guts and fight

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 15:46 - Oct 9 with 1992 viewssaint901

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 15:11 - Oct 9 by SaintNick

Im not sure what the manager thinks affects anyones bonus Downes will be being paid his full West Ham salary and he will get that whether Saints win lose or draw.

The insults thrown at him are a little out of order, I have seen nothing in his performances to suggest that he is giving less than 100%, the easiest thing for him to do was just keep quiet, but he is big enough to stand up and say what he believes in and put his name to it.

With respect Mr Saintnick, that is nonsense.

Almost all player contracts I've seen contain some form of discretionary payment based on a pot of money given to the manager to distribute as he sees fit. One club/manager I was involved with used his budget for weekly training grounds rewards (created a big tax issue as he was dishing out cash) and another had a complicated spreadsheet based on minutes played and all sorts of nonsense.

As for Mr Downes showing character, I'm all for it. Let's see it on the pitch with some leadership (he is after all meant to be better than most of our players) and perhaps on the training ground trying at least t have RM play to the strength of the team.

He is presumably not stupid enough to think that the booing (i didn't really hear that much) was directed at the team?
Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 15:48 - Oct 9 with 1985 viewsPatfromPoole

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 15:11 - Oct 9 by SaintNick

If he thinks his comments are helping the situation, I would suggest he is the mental one.

The crowd were very supportive on Saturday; it was a very good attendance, no other club south of London would have had nearly 28,500 at home to Rotherham, and the atmosphere in the ground was good (I thought).

Yes, there was frustration at not winning, but we were at home to a team who had lost every away game this season. If the team were expecting to be applauded off for not getting the win, they must be watching too many cartoons.

It's not just that we didn't win, it's more that we were so abject in the second-half. We could easily have lost in the end.

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 15:55 - Oct 9 with 1973 viewsButty101

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 15:09 - Oct 9 by SaintNick

Am I missing something, they are constantly referred to as the worst team in the League, but the table shows they are 3 points and one place above Sheffield Wednesday

According to you, Saints last season, were not as bad as their position and points tally suggested! So I’m confused that such a premise could confuse you!

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 18:33 - Oct 9 with 1857 viewsSouthamptonfan

Yes and they never boo at West ham do they. They just storm the directors box. Don't let them pull the wool over our eyes. Leicester are storming the league. Leeds look decent. We should be up there to. It's not acceptable that we are only 10th and so far behind the top two.

The fans are telling the players and RM to stop playing left and right and get the ball forward quickly. 80% possession and we don't win. There is a bit of learning there isn't there as there was as Swansea last season. Rotherham have lost all their away games, yes all of them and have conceded the most amount of goals, part from us ofcourse. They come here and get a result. We used to be a PL side. Now we can't beat a poor Rotherham team at home. I totally understand the boos. RM and Downes can do one. They haven't suffered for the last 6 years, defeat after defeat, disappointment after disappointment. RM took off Sulemana and both Armstrongs, thinking the game was won. It wasn't and we drew because we had nobody to get the winner. They had been taken off.

The answer Downes is to power forward, cut out the ridiculous sideways ineffective passing and get the ball in the box. We want wins and promotion. It's a simple as that. I urge the fans to keep booing if we don't get the results this squad must and should be getting. If we keep passing sideways for our 90% possession but not scoring any goals because it's going sideways, we should absolutely be demanding we stop doing that.

Get the ball forward, pack the box, be aggressive and stop this tippy tappy rubbish. Until it stops, I'm happy if the boos ring around the ground. Give the fans what they want and then they won't boo. We want wins, not beautiful football in 10 to 15th position. It's really very simple. We have a decent squad, play to their strengths and win games by hook or by crook. Nobody has asked for 50 thousand passes a game. We just want wins.

Lost to Grimsby, draw with Rotherham, thrashed five nil at Sunderland, this after the two nine nils. It's embarrassing and the fans patience is wearing very thin. Give us some success and some enjoyment or it won't be pretty.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2023 18:53]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 21:20 - Oct 9 with 1698 viewsBerber

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 13:01 - Oct 9 by felly1

A natural reaction from supporters when you've just blown a rare home win against the worst team in the division.
It's easy for the likes of Flynn Downes and the manager to have digs at the fans but these individuals probably won't be in the next few years.
We're a traumatised, defeated and pretty fed supporter base who pay lots of money and go home fed up .

Maybe the players could try as hard as the fans?.
Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 21:29 - Oct 9 with 1680 viewsgrumpy

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 13:01 - Oct 9 by felly1

Classic
12 goals we've conceded at home.
Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 21:57 - Oct 9 with 1647 viewsfelly1

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 15:48 - Oct 9 by PatfromPoole

If he thinks his comments are helping the situation, I would suggest he is the mental one.

The crowd were very supportive on Saturday; it was a very good attendance, no other club south of London would have had nearly 28,500 at home to Rotherham, and the atmosphere in the ground was good (I thought).

Yes, there was frustration at not winning, but we were at home to a team who had lost every away game this season. If the team were expecting to be applauded off for not getting the win, they must be watching too many cartoons.

It's not just that we didn't win, it's more that we were so abject in the second-half. We could easily have lost in the end.

Spot on.
Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 23:10 - Oct 9 with 1590 viewsUTS1885

Totally agree with Downes, booing has become some sort of weird culture due to not winning every game, so must boo.
Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 07:12 - Oct 10 with 1458 viewsPatfromPoole

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 23:10 - Oct 9 by UTS1885

Totally agree with Downes, booing has become some sort of weird culture due to not winning every game, so must boo.

Would normally agree.

However…..

This team should be doing a whole lot better than it is.

Our salary bill will be several times higher than the likes of Ipswich and Preston; however we are conspiring to woefully under-achieve.

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 07:58 - Oct 10 with 1424 viewsTripleNiemi

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 07:12 - Oct 10 by PatfromPoole

Would normally agree.

However…..

This team should be doing a whole lot better than it is.

Our salary bill will be several times higher than the likes of Ipswich and Preston; however we are conspiring to woefully under-achieve.

High salary bill doesn’t necessarily correlate to high quality though Pat although I agree we should be doing better than we are. Am sure a different manager and approach might garner slightly better results mind…..

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 09:16 - Oct 10 with 1367 viewsgrumpy

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 23:10 - Oct 9 by UTS1885

Since when has booing ' become some sort of weird culture'?
Personally I don't boo in the ground but fans have a right to do so if they want.
Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 10:18 - Oct 10 with 1321 viewssaint901

The fans can support the team during the game and overcome or bottle up their frustrations until the final whistle. That has been part of the game for ever.

Once the game is over, it's time to vent those frustration and short of organised protest or worse - disorganised protest - the options are limited.

Personally I don't agree with booing because as we see here it's the eyes and ears of the beholder that interpret the gesture and the intent and purpose of those booing is therefore degraded and compromised.

I do therefore think that other forms of protest (perhaps even this forum if read by players/mamagers/owners which I doubt) are better at getting the point over.

And that point is that in the eyes of the fans, the style of football we are playing is leading to poor results and loss of confidence in players and management . The fans want 100 mph football and would prefer a 4-3 loss at home to a dull 1-0 victory. Football is as much about entertainment and distraction from everyday woes as it is about business. Unfortunately money talks and the owners are not listening.
Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 13:10 - Oct 10 with 1255 viewsSaintNick

Southampton Midfielder Shocked By Fans Booing At St Mary's on 10:18 - Oct 10 by saint901

The fans can support the team during the game and overcome or bottle up their frustrations until the final whistle. That has been part of the game for ever.

Once the game is over, it's time to vent those frustration and short of organised protest or worse - disorganised protest - the options are limited.

Personally I don't agree with booing because as we see here it's the eyes and ears of the beholder that interpret the gesture and the intent and purpose of those booing is therefore degraded and compromised.

I do therefore think that other forms of protest (perhaps even this forum if read by players/mamagers/owners which I doubt) are better at getting the point over.

And that point is that in the eyes of the fans, the style of football we are playing is leading to poor results and loss of confidence in players and management . The fans want 100 mph football and would prefer a 4-3 loss at home to a dull 1-0 victory. Football is as much about entertainment and distraction from everyday woes as it is about business. Unfortunately money talks and the owners are not listening.

I agree with you I have no problem with fans venting their anger after a game.

Most on here seem to be trying to make the point that the booing was directed at Martin, how do players know that, Martin wasn't the one who failed to score more than 1 out of 20 attempts.

On another day, on Saturday we might have hit 3 or 4, the chances created warranted that, but it wasn't the players fault it was the managers and he was just unlucky in that he was being watched by 28,000 who had never ever seen a team who were supposedly far worse park the bus for 89 minutes and get something out of a game that they shouldn't have.

Football is a funny old game as they used to say, if Adam Armstrong's goal hadn't been offside and then Will Smallbone had kept down his shot a little bit in the second half and buried it, then no one would have booed we would have all gone home happy and all been thinking that we will now surge forward.

s**t happens in football, Rotherham players must have wondered what was happening, a team 1 point off the play offs is booed off whilst they don't get booed off at home even though they are in the bottom three.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024