Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European Super league 2.0 announced! 12:08 - Dec 21 with 2085 viewsSFC_Referee

Well it now looks like it could genuinely be happening, to which the governing boards won’t be able to do anything about!…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67787981

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 12:21 - Dec 21 with 2056 viewsSFC_Referee

And this is how it’s gonna work by the looks of things…

https://fb.watch/p3VPX8seKJ/

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 12:36 - Dec 21 with 2032 viewssaint901

Never in doubt.

Top 5 European leagues gross circa €5.2bn a season.

The PL is €1.6bn. Around 30% of the top five leagues.

If the PL clubs going into the Super League can claim more of that money (which they can) there is no commercial reason why they will not.
European Super league 2.0 announced! on 12:45 - Dec 21 with 2023 viewsSFC_Referee

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 12:36 - Dec 21 by saint901

Never in doubt.

Top 5 European leagues gross circa €5.2bn a season.

The PL is €1.6bn. Around 30% of the top five leagues.

If the PL clubs going into the Super League can claim more of that money (which they can) there is no commercial reason why they will not.

Well hopefully the English FA, prem if not UEFA as well, actually hold their ground for once and don’t bottle it like last time! As any team that goes for it, and does say they’re committing to it, should now be kicked out of their leagues and kicked out of all the UEFA competitions.

As if they do that, it’ll make sure that no team wants to join it or do it again, because they’ll know of the consequences. Whist if they don’t, and just let them stroll back into their leagues and competitions like nothing happened, then it’ll just allow them to go for again if it didn’t work out for them this time and would be an almost certainty to happen again (which was exactly the case after what happened the first time).

As even if this did happen, I hope the prem does something about it, as even if we kicked out all the “top 6” I don’t think it would necessarily be such a bad thing. As without that “top 6” the game would be so much more competitive, and once they’d all buggered off we could make sure to put in place rules and such to prevent there from being as large of a gap as their currently is, allowing football to be as competitive as it was in the past where anyone could literally win anything!

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 12:46 - Dec 21 with 2021 viewsobelisk

Haven't watched a European competition game for years. I just wish the self-proclaimed top sides would just sod off permanently.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2023 12:48]
European Super league 2.0 announced! on 13:53 - Dec 21 with 1938 viewsarfurdent

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 12:46 - Dec 21 by obelisk

Haven't watched a European competition game for years. I just wish the self-proclaimed top sides would just sod off permanently.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2023 12:48]

totally agree

out of the league and all the cup competitions

however you can see them suggesting they play their reserve sides in the league and FA Cup

cake and eat it mode

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 13:58 - Dec 21 with 1927 viewsCenturion

I agree with most of the sentiments here.
If there is a super league, then let the clubs who want to go...go. No fudge decision.
The rest of football will continue well enough and it will be more real than 'exhibition' European super league football.
European Super league 2.0 announced! on 14:02 - Dec 21 with 1922 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 12:45 - Dec 21 by SFC_Referee

Well hopefully the English FA, prem if not UEFA as well, actually hold their ground for once and don’t bottle it like last time! As any team that goes for it, and does say they’re committing to it, should now be kicked out of their leagues and kicked out of all the UEFA competitions.

As if they do that, it’ll make sure that no team wants to join it or do it again, because they’ll know of the consequences. Whist if they don’t, and just let them stroll back into their leagues and competitions like nothing happened, then it’ll just allow them to go for again if it didn’t work out for them this time and would be an almost certainty to happen again (which was exactly the case after what happened the first time).

As even if this did happen, I hope the prem does something about it, as even if we kicked out all the “top 6” I don’t think it would necessarily be such a bad thing. As without that “top 6” the game would be so much more competitive, and once they’d all buggered off we could make sure to put in place rules and such to prevent there from being as large of a gap as their currently is, allowing football to be as competitive as it was in the past where anyone could literally win anything!

"allowing football to be as competitive as it was in the past where anyone could literally win anything! "

As it was before - when your club actually managed to win something

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 14:07 - Dec 21 with 1904 viewsSouthamptonfan

This will the death of English football, the final nail in the coffin. In practice, what this European Super League means, is a franchised style.NFL football. Arsenal vs Barcelona playing in Los Angeles. Then Chelsea v Newcastle in Mexico City. But these teams would then play their reserves for their Premier League games. Teams like Brighton, Palace and us will have their first teams bought by the super rich. The top 6 would effective have two teams, one for.the super league and one for the Premier League. There is talk of these teams having two managers,.one for the super league and one for the Premier League. So they won't be p!ssing off. The be all and end all will be this super league, where all the money is. It will make these too clubs ten times richer than they are now.

Questions?
So how will relegation and promotion work?
What does this mean for the lesser teams, who will have their teams depleted and will only be.playing the reserves of the top six?
What about the lower leagues?

I'd love these teams to just f@ck off to their super league. But they won't. They will still stay a part of the Premier League. They want the best of both worlds. This idea will destroy the game even more.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2023 14:40]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Login to get fewer ads

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 14:41 - Dec 21 with 1861 viewsSFC_Referee

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 14:07 - Dec 21 by Southamptonfan

This will the death of English football, the final nail in the coffin. In practice, what this European Super League means, is a franchised style.NFL football. Arsenal vs Barcelona playing in Los Angeles. Then Chelsea v Newcastle in Mexico City. But these teams would then play their reserves for their Premier League games. Teams like Brighton, Palace and us will have their first teams bought by the super rich. The top 6 would effective have two teams, one for.the super league and one for the Premier League. There is talk of these teams having two managers,.one for the super league and one for the Premier League. So they won't be p!ssing off. The be all and end all will be this super league, where all the money is. It will make these too clubs ten times richer than they are now.

Questions?
What does this mean for the lesser teams, who will have their teams depleted and will only be.playing the reserves of the top six?

I'd love these teams to just f@ck off to their super league. But they won't. They will still stay a part of the Premier League. They want the best of both worlds. This idea will destroy the game even more.

But the thing is that they wouldn’t be allowed to participate in the prem, if they did join the super league. As the prem just wouldn’t allow it, as what you’ve said would happen, I think most would agree with, and seeing how that wouldn’t be good whatsoever for the prem, they’d definitely not allow them to play in both knowing that it would be the reserves teams for the “top 6” that would be participating in their competition.

And yeah this super league may start off/become the main thing, but who’s to say the prem would collapse and make everything fall apart? As with all these teams buggering off, yeah the main part of the media and attention would go to this super league, and you wouldn’t get all the tourists or glory hunters at the games like you do today, but is that all such a bad thing? As this will certainly deal the English game a blow, but I’d be fairly certain that once the money teams leave, after a few years the league will be back on its feet, and this time (with hopefully all the right things put in place to stop history from repeating itself) everything will become competitive once more.

Whilst this ESL may get quite boring with it always being the same teams every year (and I’m sure they’ll be a few dominating that every year after a few years), with many of the real fans not being able to afford to go to the games, they may start to go to local prem games and start supporting the prem teams, as it’ll be a lot more interesting to watch, as well as more competitive and wouldn’t have all the tourists and glory hunters around, which will be a certainty at this ESL.

As I’d not think this’ll spell the end for English football whatsoever, and rather be the new chance to rebuild, having learnt from our past mistakes and making the game a lot better like it once was.

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 14:54 - Dec 21 with 1843 viewskingslandstand1

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 14:02 - Dec 21 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

"allowing football to be as competitive as it was in the past where anyone could literally win anything! "

As it was before - when your club actually managed to win something

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 15:01 - Dec 21 with 1833 viewsSouthamptonfan

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 14:41 - Dec 21 by SFC_Referee

But the thing is that they wouldn’t be allowed to participate in the prem, if they did join the super league. As the prem just wouldn’t allow it, as what you’ve said would happen, I think most would agree with, and seeing how that wouldn’t be good whatsoever for the prem, they’d definitely not allow them to play in both knowing that it would be the reserves teams for the “top 6” that would be participating in their competition.

And yeah this super league may start off/become the main thing, but who’s to say the prem would collapse and make everything fall apart? As with all these teams buggering off, yeah the main part of the media and attention would go to this super league, and you wouldn’t get all the tourists or glory hunters at the games like you do today, but is that all such a bad thing? As this will certainly deal the English game a blow, but I’d be fairly certain that once the money teams leave, after a few years the league will be back on its feet, and this time (with hopefully all the right things put in place to stop history from repeating itself) everything will become competitive once more.

Whilst this ESL may get quite boring with it always being the same teams every year (and I’m sure they’ll be a few dominating that every year after a few years), with many of the real fans not being able to afford to go to the games, they may start to go to local prem games and start supporting the prem teams, as it’ll be a lot more interesting to watch, as well as more competitive and wouldn’t have all the tourists and glory hunters around, which will be a certainty at this ESL.

As I’d not think this’ll spell the end for English football whatsoever, and rather be the new chance to rebuild, having learnt from our past mistakes and making the game a lot better like it once was.

Ultimately, surely the fans wouldn't allow this anyway? They wouldn't allow leaving the premier league, so that there arn't any games to watch in their own city. But if other European clubs join this.league and PL clubs don't, there wouldn't be a champions league anymore. The fans of the top six (apart from the tourists) won't want only five homes games a year. But will they like staying in the Premier League and not ever playing Barcelona and Madrid? If this was Saints, I can't think of anything worse, playing the same European teams year after year half way across the world, only on TV.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2023 15:13]

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 15:13 - Dec 21 with 1819 viewsSFC_Referee

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 15:01 - Dec 21 by Southamptonfan

Ultimately, surely the fans wouldn't allow this anyway? They wouldn't allow leaving the premier league, so that there arn't any games to watch in their own city. But if other European clubs join this.league and PL clubs don't, there wouldn't be a champions league anymore. The fans of the top six (apart from the tourists) won't want only five homes games a year. But will they like staying in the Premier League and not ever playing Barcelona and Madrid? If this was Saints, I can't think of anything worse, playing the same European teams year after year half way across the world, only on TV.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2023 15:13]

Yeah but I don’t think the fans will be able to stop it this time, as now that the governments have stopped UEFA and FIFA from doing what they wanted to, the owners can basically tell the fans to get studded, as I’m sure many of the glory hunters, tourists, or just fans that give up, would still go down to watch Liverpool against Real Madrid in the opening game of this ESL when it starts.
As unless anything major changes around the laws or what some of the major teams decide, then this ESL will be happening, it’s just a question of how long it takes, who’s involved and what will happen to everything outside of the ESL by the time it starts

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 15:23 - Dec 21 with 1798 viewsSouthamptonfan

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 15:13 - Dec 21 by SFC_Referee

Yeah but I don’t think the fans will be able to stop it this time, as now that the governments have stopped UEFA and FIFA from doing what they wanted to, the owners can basically tell the fans to get studded, as I’m sure many of the glory hunters, tourists, or just fans that give up, would still go down to watch Liverpool against Real Madrid in the opening game of this ESL when it starts.
As unless anything major changes around the laws or what some of the major teams decide, then this ESL will be happening, it’s just a question of how long it takes, who’s involved and what will happen to everything outside of the ESL by the time it starts

Putting the rich tourists aside, I think you're underestimating how much the local fans of these clubs won't want to be playing in New York, Mexico and Saudi week in, week out. If it was Saints, I would be bored playing the same European teams week in week out, and only being able to watch my team amongst a load of rich tourists every three months for £100 a ticket. I'm pretty sure these fans won't have it. There were massive protests the last time this was announced - tens of thousands of fans causing destruction outside the grounds. Individual owners yes will want the money from joining, but the real fans won't want this. They would never be able to afford to watch their team live, ever again. Will they just stand back and allow.it?

As for the implications of this, who knows. If fan power stops their club joining, there will be no more European champions League games and that will take out all the money.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2023 15:30]

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 15:42 - Dec 21 with 1767 viewsRipleys_revenge

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 15:23 - Dec 21 by Southamptonfan

Putting the rich tourists aside, I think you're underestimating how much the local fans of these clubs won't want to be playing in New York, Mexico and Saudi week in, week out. If it was Saints, I would be bored playing the same European teams week in week out, and only being able to watch my team amongst a load of rich tourists every three months for £100 a ticket. I'm pretty sure these fans won't have it. There were massive protests the last time this was announced - tens of thousands of fans causing destruction outside the grounds. Individual owners yes will want the money from joining, but the real fans won't want this. They would never be able to afford to watch their team live, ever again. Will they just stand back and allow.it?

As for the implications of this, who knows. If fan power stops their club joining, there will be no more European champions League games and that will take out all the money.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2023 15:30]

They couldn’t care less about the fans, hence why they’re planning to broadcast games on streaming platforms for free. Broadcasters, A22 and super league wantaway clubs will find a way of making it happen sooner or later. Football died a while ago which is why this season has been such a breath of fresh air. Loving it.

The sooner the so called elites f@ck off the better. Let the Americanisation of football happen since it’s inevitable and let proper football fans get back to watching their club play in equitable competitions. Absolutely fine by me
European Super league 2.0 announced! on 15:49 - Dec 21 with 1749 viewsFlamingbankers

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 14:07 - Dec 21 by Southamptonfan

Questions?

I concur with the last comment. It's just the scorched earth strategy of neoliberalism applied to football: they'll take as much as they can and sod the rest of us. The greed of the bureaucrats is boundless and the ordinary supporter will be left with nothing and like it.
European Super league 2.0 announced! on 16:25 - Dec 21 with 1709 viewsfranniesTache

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 15:42 - Dec 21 by Ripleys_revenge

They couldn’t care less about the fans, hence why they’re planning to broadcast games on streaming platforms for free. Broadcasters, A22 and super league wantaway clubs will find a way of making it happen sooner or later. Football died a while ago which is why this season has been such a breath of fresh air. Loving it.

The sooner the so called elites f@ck off the better. Let the Americanisation of football happen since it’s inevitable and let proper football fans get back to watching their club play in equitable competitions. Absolutely fine by me

They're making it free to air as a ruse, if the english clubs don't join immediately the overseas lot and telly clappers will get used to the competition being on tv and slowly start to pressure "their" sides to join it.

The proper fans actually from the cities the clubs are in count for nothing, there's not enough of them and easily ignored.

So eventually those clubs will cry off about loss of revenue and not being able to compete, and put out meaningless statements about how they do want to join, but have no choice.

Then like you say the ultimate end goal is harlem globetrotters style clubs that tour the world playing games for their foreign audiences in sold out stadiums.

Ultimately we can get angry at Sky, at the Premier League and the clubs, but what's killed the game in reality is plastics, tourists and overseas fans.

They broke the bond between club/city/fans and made it commercially viable to break away from their leagues, and from this point on they'll be more important to the super clubs than anything else.
European Super league 2.0 announced! on 16:45 - Dec 21 with 1675 viewskingslandstand1

I'm sure I've just heard that both Manchester clubs will be avoiding it so there's a start!

Will be interesting to see if this pans out the way the last attempt did

One thing is that it probably won't affect us a great deal other than what we watch on tv
European Super league 2.0 announced! on 16:55 - Dec 21 with 1646 viewsUTS1885

I don’t see how they will get the dozens of clubs they want to play in it. Also what TV channels will be able to pay out showing it ?

Remember premier league clubs would need to leave to participate in it.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2023 17:08]
European Super league 2.0 announced! on 16:56 - Dec 21 with 1646 viewsJellybaby

Will the Globalist predators never stop? These technocrats want to extract every last penny and enjoyment out of football (and in other areas). We the people need to resist their attempts - we do have the power, just by sheer volume.

Live matches for free? Yes, until they get enough mugs on board and then charge whatever they want, I think we know how this works.......

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 17:26 - Dec 21 with 1552 viewssolent_toffee

European Super league 2.0 announced! on 14:41 - Dec 21 by SFC_Referee

Didn’t they all sign up to an agreement that if the scenario were to happen again, there would be clear sanction’s including not being able to play in the domestic league and cups? That’s what should happen.

As others have said, this league isn’t for your regular match going supporters. It’s for the tourist fans and the telly clappers. The teams will be franchises and will play most of their games around the globe.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024