Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Man Utd Out Of Champions League 22:03 - Dec 8 with 1102 viewsSaintNick

3-0 down with 10 minutes to go they pulled back a couple of quick goals but couldnt get an equaliser that would have taken them through

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 22:20 - Dec 8 with 1083 viewsTripleNiemi

I ditched my United shirt years ago......

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 22:28 - Dec 8 with 1067 viewsSaintsforeverj

Glad they are out. Good.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 22:49 - Dec 8 with 1041 viewshedgeend61

Man City home Saturday, if that doesn't end well, Pochettino may well be back in employment Sunday.
Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 06:39 - Dec 9 with 949 viewskingslandstand1

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 22:49 - Dec 8 by hedgeend61

Man City home Saturday, if that doesn't end well, Pochettino may well be back in employment Sunday.

Hasn't OGS won more than Poch? Well, in Norway

I'd rather he stayed and they continue towards mediocrity
Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 07:11 - Dec 9 with 936 viewsRednWight

Yes. Pulled 2 back with a penalty that wasn’t and a handball goal
The ref did his best and should still be payed

The older I get the better I was
Poll: Cortese. Would we have him back

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 08:00 - Dec 9 with 905 viewsKennington

Is this Man U team really a top 4 team? Possibly with the right manager. Still that squad is a fair way off challenging. So in that sense OGS hasn’t done that badly. People just compare to the Man U team of 20 years ago.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 08:04 - Dec 9 with 899 viewsdwayne_dibley

Brexit blues for manure

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 08:10 - Dec 9 with 895 viewsdirk_doone

From a selfish point of view we want all of the other top teams to stay in Europe for as long as possible, as this will give us an advantage in the league. Fortunately, United will still have to play in the Europa League. It would be better if they were still in the Champions League though as there they can't afford to rest their best players.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 8:12]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 09:21 - Dec 9 with 852 viewsdwayne_dibley

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 08:10 - Dec 9 by dirk_doone

From a selfish point of view we want all of the other top teams to stay in Europe for as long as possible, as this will give us an advantage in the league. Fortunately, United will still have to play in the Europa League. It would be better if they were still in the Champions League though as there they can't afford to rest their best players.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 8:12]

playing on a Thursday will be a pain for them

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 10:34 - Dec 9 with 786 viewssolent_toffee

They’ve dropped into the Europa League though so they will still be able to pay the bills.

What an absolute disgraceful rule that is though.
Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 10:36 - Dec 9 with 785 viewsdirk_doone

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 10:34 - Dec 9 by solent_toffee

They’ve dropped into the Europa League though so they will still be able to pay the bills.

I agree, it's a travesty, along with Premier League U21 teams being allowed to play in the EFL Trophy.

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 11:58 - Dec 9 with 745 viewsBerber

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 10:34 - Dec 9 by solent_toffee

It is, there shouldn't be a Europa League, same as there shouldn't be a League Cup/Milk Cup or whatever the firk they call it now.
Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 13:15 - Dec 9 with 716 viewsBicester_North

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 11:58 - Dec 9 by Berber

It is, there shouldn't be a Europa League, same as there shouldn't be a League Cup/Milk Cup or whatever the firk they call it now.

Nothing wrong with the league cup, given us some great moments down the years, like the Anfield semi final

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 13:27 - Dec 9 with 707 viewsSaintsforeverj

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 13:15 - Dec 9 by Bicester_North

Nothing wrong with the league cup, given us some great moments down the years, like the Anfield semi final

Agreed. I love all the domestic cups. Even loved the JPT cup. Any chance to get to Wembley is welcome. The issue is should a team automatically be transferred to the European Cup if they get knocked out of the champions league. I don't think they should. But at least Man U, who we could be competing against for 6th, 5th, are having to travel on a Thursday night.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 13:28]

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 13:38 - Dec 9 with 689 viewsChesham_Saint

The previous structure of European Cup, UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup was much better but didn’t generate enough dosh to keep all the blazers in yachts, champagne and hookers.

I agree about the League Cup, it should be kept.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 14:17 - Dec 9 with 673 viewssolent_toffee

Although Everton have been useless, I really enjoy the EFL/League Cup. I’ve been to the last five and the atmosphere is great and there seems to be a lot more genuine fans than the FA Cup final.
Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 15:30 - Dec 9 with 629 viewsdirk_doone

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 13:27 - Dec 9 by Saintsforeverj

Agreed. I love all the domestic cups. Even loved the JPT cup. Any chance to get to Wembley is welcome. The issue is should a team automatically be transferred to the European Cup if they get knocked out of the champions league. I don't think they should. But at least Man U, who we could be competing against for 6th, 5th, are having to travel on a Thursday night.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 13:28]

I agree too.

The secret with any new tournament is to win it before the big clubs start taking it seriously. The first 2 League Cup Finals featured Rotherham and Rochdale and from the 60s to the 80s, it was being won by teams like Swindon, QPR, Oxford and Luton. Swansea v Bradford in 2013 was an exceptional throwback to the early years but, nowadays, the 2 big Manchester clubs and Chelsea especially take it very seriously and usually win it.

I was at both of our League Cup finals but unfortunately we came up just short against what were at the time 2 of the best teams in the land, Forest in '79 and Man United in '17. The support from Saints' fans was magnificent at both of them though. Let's hope it's third time lucky.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 15:45]

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 15:35 - Dec 9 with 625 viewsBerber

I respect everyone's opinion, but with managers now complaining about TV scheduling of PL games, it just rams home that the core, bread and butter football that should be the raison d'etre for all UK clubs is getting relegated down their priority lists, same as the FA cup has been. If the PL doesn't come first, they don't need to be in the PL IMHO.
Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 19:11 - Dec 9 with 564 viewsSaintsforeverj

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 15:30 - Dec 9 by dirk_doone

I agree too.

The secret with any new tournament is to win it before the big clubs start taking it seriously. The first 2 League Cup Finals featured Rotherham and Rochdale and from the 60s to the 80s, it was being won by teams like Swindon, QPR, Oxford and Luton. Swansea v Bradford in 2013 was an exceptional throwback to the early years but, nowadays, the 2 big Manchester clubs and Chelsea especially take it very seriously and usually win it.

I was at both of our League Cup finals but unfortunately we came up just short against what were at the time 2 of the best teams in the land, Forest in '79 and Man United in '17. The support from Saints' fans was magnificent at both of them though. Let's hope it's third time lucky.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 15:45]

So close to having more trophies in the cabinet, yet so far. But, I even sit and watch the draw for the cups with the same anticipation as ever. Love the romance of possibly playing at Accrington, Shrewsbury, Boston or getting Pompey. Love having the cup competitions.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 19:12]

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 19:42 - Dec 9 with 545 viewsdirk_doone

Liverpool struggling against Midtjylland. Who wouldn't? They know how to stifle better teams. I remember the last 15 minutes of our tie against them at St Mary's as the most effective 'game management' I've ever seen from any team. There was barely a minute of actual play yet not a single one of their players was yellow carded for timewasting.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 19:43]

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 20:05 - Dec 9 with 532 viewsSadoldgit

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 13:38 - Dec 9 by Chesham_Saint

The previous structure of European Cup, UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup was much better but didn’t generate enough dosh to keep all the blazers in yachts, champagne and hookers.

I agree about the League Cup, it should be kept.

Completely agree. Do you remember the Inter Cities Fairs cup too? The European Cup was a proper Champions league competition because it was fought for by the league winners. How does a team finishing fourth become worthy of playing in a Champion’s League? The games also were knock out (home and away) from the first round so the extra jeopardy made them much more interesting.
There is no way a team failing to qualify for the next stage of the Champion’s league should get another bite of the cherry by playing in the Europa Cup. It is just about the money and it sucks.
Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 20:47 - Dec 9 with 526 viewsdirk_doone

Man Utd Out Of Champions League on 20:05 - Dec 9 by Sadoldgit

Completely agree. Do you remember the Inter Cities Fairs cup too? The European Cup was a proper Champions league competition because it was fought for by the league winners. How does a team finishing fourth become worthy of playing in a Champion’s League? The games also were knock out (home and away) from the first round so the extra jeopardy made them much more interesting.
There is no way a team failing to qualify for the next stage of the Champion’s league should get another bite of the cherry by playing in the Europa Cup. It is just about the money and it sucks.

Any team wanting to win the Europa League should study very carefully what Sevilla did. We are a wealthier club than they are so if we follow their example, we should be able to emulate their success.

I know many posters on here, especially Nick and Boris, hate Cortese even now, but when Markus Liebherr asked him, an investment banker, to take control of Southampton FC, his response was to study carefully the most successful football clubs in Europe and try to emulate what they had done.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024