Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? 09:13 - Aug 31 with 2575 viewssaints__fan__73

It's almost almost as if having the worst squad in the PL and regularly having to start players like McCarthy, Lyanco and Stephens may have had something to do with our bad form and, now we have improved the squad, results are looking up?

Or maybe not and if we had that tactical genius Sean Dyche we would have beaten Chelsea 4-1, yes?

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 10:18 - Aug 31 with 1798 viewsButty101

One win dosent suddenly make him a genius.
He choose McCarthy over forster. he chose to play lyanco up front on Saturday. He chose 5 at the back when it had been a disaster in preseason.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 10:24 - Aug 31 with 1791 viewssaints__fan__73

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 10:18 - Aug 31 by Butty101

One win dosent suddenly make him a genius.
He choose McCarthy over forster. he chose to play lyanco up front on Saturday. He chose 5 at the back when it had been a disaster in preseason.

It's 7 points from 5 games, not just 1 win. There's enough positive this season so far to show that sacking the manager would have been an horrendous decision.

Why do you assume that a club of our size with the finances we have should attract a 'genius' manager. From the likes of Puel, Hughes and Pellegrino I would say that is very unlikely.

Unless you're talking about Sean Football Genuis Dyche, yes?

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 10:39 - Aug 31 with 1768 viewsButty101

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 10:24 - Aug 31 by saints__fan__73

It's 7 points from 5 games, not just 1 win. There's enough positive this season so far to show that sacking the manager would have been an horrendous decision.

Why do you assume that a club of our size with the finances we have should attract a 'genius' manager. From the likes of Puel, Hughes and Pellegrino I would say that is very unlikely.

Unless you're talking about Sean Football Genuis Dyche, yes?

Its been great since the last 20 mins of the Leeds game when Ralph abandoned the 5 at the back out of necessity.

History shows that we are not far from a horrendous run. Ralph is a hot and cold manager. Enjoy it why it lasts.

How do you know a new manager wouldnt do a better job. Howe, cooper, vierra and Lage all came in last season and would have done a good job.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 10:50 - Aug 31 with 1740 viewsElijahK

Look as much as I’ve certainly not been with the “Ralph Out’rs” since he started, and love how well we’ve started this season, (especially seeing how we’ve actually played and displayed our quality in every single game since we lost to spurs on the opening game of the season) I don’t think we should necessarily be rubbing it in the face of anyone who though differently.

As yeah money and coaching staff has and will play a big part of us trying to progress up the table, and this is the first season in quite a while that we’ve had access to it all, but managers also do, so until one of those things had changed, no one really knew of what was to come hence why even the “Ralph in’ers”, such as myself, are quite surprised as to how well we’ve started this season in both displays and results. And even then, Ralph sure does like his amazing runs, but we shouldn’t forget that we do go on really poor ones as well, which is simply going to be the difference between this and last season (as in how long/short these runs will be).

But overall yeah I do agree that many did undermine him simply because they somehow expected a team with one of the worst NET spends in the league (who should realistically be finishing just above the relegation zone (which we always did or better)) to make top 10! And that’s where many of them can now shut up as we do look we’re starting to get the resources to expect that, and so far Ralph is certainly doing better than that (as I and many other saints fans I’ve spoken to, thought we’d only have like 3 to 5 points from our opening 5 games, and any saints fan would’ve bitten your hand off for 7 if you’d offered them it beforehand).

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 10:51 - Aug 31 with 1751 viewssaints__fan__73

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 10:39 - Aug 31 by Butty101

Its been great since the last 20 mins of the Leeds game when Ralph abandoned the 5 at the back out of necessity.

History shows that we are not far from a horrendous run. Ralph is a hot and cold manager. Enjoy it why it lasts.

How do you know a new manager wouldnt do a better job. Howe, cooper, vierra and Lage all came in last season and would have done a good job.

He was playing 5 at the back out of necessity as our squad was/is so weak we only had one fit FB in the squad and we would have had to throw a young new transfer CB in from day 1 against Spurs away which not many managers would have done.

We now have 2 fit FBs in the squad (whoo hoo) so we can play 4 at the back and don't have to have a winger as a Wingback.

Yes, we'll be inconsistent, that's what young teams, gathered on a shoe-string budget will do.

How do you know a new manager would have done a better job with the squad we had? There are plenty of examples of teams changing the manager mid-season and it going very badly.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 10:59]

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 11:08 - Aug 31 with 1725 viewssaint22

I agree we seem to be looking better but lets not get carried away yet, the next two will tell us if we should start looking up, not losing to Wolves or Nrentfird would show we have what it takes.
We often raise our game against the so called better teams

I must say though the team looks fresh and hungry which helps, interesting that the lack of the 'old guard' (redders Bedders Jack AM) coincides wot that

Equally 4 at the back is our best defensive set up so lets hope RH doesn't tinker too much ahead
How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 11:40 - Aug 31 with 1673 viewsBerber

Without Bednarek and Stephens in the side, our defence looks miles better, it has been a bit desperate sometimes in the last two games, but they seem to be gelling and learning.

Bella Kotchap looks to be a find, but remember, Salisu started out like that until the others started taking liberties. I thought there might be a case to retain Bednarek, but actually, he can sling his hook.
How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 12:27 - Aug 31 with 1638 viewsMytchettSaint

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 11:40 - Aug 31 by Berber

Without Bednarek and Stephens in the side, our defence looks miles better, it has been a bit desperate sometimes in the last two games, but they seem to be gelling and learning.

Bella Kotchap looks to be a find, but remember, Salisu started out like that until the others started taking liberties. I thought there might be a case to retain Bednarek, but actually, he can sling his hook.

Add to that McCarthy in goal for the defence.

Whether we are innies or outties. Last night was very enjoyable. The standard has been set now. Fingers crossed it wasn’t a flash in the pan.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Login to get fewer ads

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 15:12 - Aug 31 with 1522 viewsSaintsforeverj

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 10:39 - Aug 31 by Butty101

Have you seen where Forest are in the league after spending 150 million? They arn't above Saints! Crystal Palace also. Anyone but Ralph, for you, yet he does better than the managers mentioned. Changing managers causes a lot of upheaval, why an earth would you want a Gerrard, a Parker, a Cooper or a Lampard? They are all struggling. You may be right, Ralph is hot and cold but we beat Chelsea last night under the lights and it was a fantastic performance. Look at the managers I have mentioned who have all spent even more money. The grass isn't always greener. And anyway, look at the scenes after the game, the manager, his coaches and players together as one, enjoy the passion, it's brilliant!!!

With the new players we have brought in, there may be a lot less colds this season, as the manager has been given the resources to achieve.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 15:14]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 15:25 - Aug 31 with 1505 viewssaints__fan__73

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 15:12 - Aug 31 by Saintsforeverj

Have you seen where Forest are in the league after spending 150 million? They arn't above Saints! Crystal Palace also. Anyone but Ralph, for you, yet he does better than the managers mentioned. Changing managers causes a lot of upheaval, why an earth would you want a Gerrard, a Parker, a Cooper or a Lampard? They are all struggling. You may be right, Ralph is hot and cold but we beat Chelsea last night under the lights and it was a fantastic performance. Look at the managers I have mentioned who have all spent even more money. The grass isn't always greener. And anyway, look at the scenes after the game, the manager, his coaches and players together as one, enjoy the passion, it's brilliant!!!

With the new players we have brought in, there may be a lot less colds this season, as the manager has been given the resources to achieve.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 15:14]

They all want Dyche mate. Though given how a manager who only signed white players would do with a team 90% black is anyone's guess...

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 16:06 - Aug 31 with 1462 viewsfranniesTache

I'm still on the fence with Ralph, we've started well but the one consistent with Ralph's time here is that we're a "streaky" team, and the tell of if he's improved will be when we drop into one of our inevitable losing streaks.

So far we've got exceptionally lucky with those as we've built up enough points that they've not relegated us, but we can't carry on riding our luck and need to learn how to dig ourselves out of losing streaks faster, and i'd actually take a season where we're more consistent (and boring) over win streaks followed by long losing streaks.

The other side of the coin for me is that the squad looks considerably better than it has done for a while now, and i can't shake the feeling that this squad with a good manager could do really well, and i'm really not sure Ralph is that manager.
How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 16:11 - Aug 31 with 1456 viewsRon11

He abandoned the 5 at the back because the new coaches finally had enough and told him to change it. It was on the the TV screen for all to see - him actually listening to someone for a change.
The same with Djenepo, and the same with the new tactics, Adam Armstrong's playing position, etc.
They are pulling the strings now, and he's taking the credit for it.
And long may it last.
How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 16:18 - Aug 31 with 1442 viewsSaintsforeverj

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 16:06 - Aug 31 by franniesTache

I'm still on the fence with Ralph, we've started well but the one consistent with Ralph's time here is that we're a "streaky" team, and the tell of if he's improved will be when we drop into one of our inevitable losing streaks.

So far we've got exceptionally lucky with those as we've built up enough points that they've not relegated us, but we can't carry on riding our luck and need to learn how to dig ourselves out of losing streaks faster, and i'd actually take a season where we're more consistent (and boring) over win streaks followed by long losing streaks.

The other side of the coin for me is that the squad looks considerably better than it has done for a while now, and i can't shake the feeling that this squad with a good manager could do really well, and i'm really not sure Ralph is that manager.

Surely, you have to remember that in the past, Ralph has had next to nothing to spend on the team. I said in the summer, that this year is a big year for Ralph. He has to succeed, now that he has been given the resources to do so. But so far, he is and that's because he has good players on the pitch.

You say about other managers, but look at Villa with Gerrard. Or Everton with Koeman, Benitez, Lampard. Rodgers at Leicester. These are managers who were given lots of money to spend on the team. People say about Large at Wolves. They have had a terrible start. Or Watford with 3 sacked managers in one season resulting relegation. Where is the evidence that another manager would do better? Lots of managers there who are not doing well. And Everton despite changing managers, continue to struggle. I can't see it, the grass isn't always greener. I like Ralph's passion, love for the club, the great nights like last night. We also had some bad runs, but we had a poor team. Not many Southampton managers beat Chelsea, that I do know.

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 16:21 - Aug 31 with 1438 viewsSaintsforeverj

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 16:11 - Aug 31 by Ron11

He abandoned the 5 at the back because the new coaches finally had enough and told him to change it. It was on the the TV screen for all to see - him actually listening to someone for a change.
The same with Djenepo, and the same with the new tactics, Adam Armstrong's playing position, etc.
They are pulling the strings now, and he's taking the credit for it.
And long may it last.

Every manager needs good senior staff around them. It's great that the new coaches are decent and are helping. Ralph ultimately makes the final decision. He has listened if what you say is the case. The scenes last night showed that those players are fully behind their manager.

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 16:24 - Aug 31 with 1436 viewsfranniesTache

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 16:18 - Aug 31 by Saintsforeverj

Surely, you have to remember that in the past, Ralph has had next to nothing to spend on the team. I said in the summer, that this year is a big year for Ralph. He has to succeed, now that he has been given the resources to do so. But so far, he is and that's because he has good players on the pitch.

You say about other managers, but look at Villa with Gerrard. Or Everton with Koeman, Benitez, Lampard. Rodgers at Leicester. These are managers who were given lots of money to spend on the team. People say about Large at Wolves. They have had a terrible start. Or Watford with 3 sacked managers in one season resulting relegation. Where is the evidence that another manager would do better? Lots of managers there who are not doing well. And Everton despite changing managers, continue to struggle. I can't see it, the grass isn't always greener. I like Ralph's passion, love for the club, the great nights like last night. We also had some bad runs, but we had a poor team. Not many Southampton managers beat Chelsea, that I do know.

I'm basing it on his whole time here, whilst you right we've not spent this kind of money i'd argue we have spent money and they have been his players.

My one consistently big complaint with Ralph (well two) have been his inability to stop us conceding goals and the mental weakness the team has had.

Like i've said in the past i want him to succeed but I still think someone like Thomas Frank would do a far better job.
How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 16:31 - Aug 31 with 1422 viewsDorsetIan

It's more fundamental than having a weak team or bad runs of form.

Until this season, Ralph has consistently made strange decisions in relation to starting line ups, in game tactics and substitutions which have either dropped us points or failed to turn around losing positions.

There was always a sense that his performance in this respect dropped off when Danny Rohl left and now it seems that he has some new coaching support and things are improving again.

It could, of course, be all down to the new players and nothing to do with the tactical brains at play, but it's too much of a coincidence for me.

So 'Ralph [on his own] out' still makes sense, but as long as he can continue to work well with the new coaches then we'll all be happy for him to stay and them all to do well together.

From 0-6 to 2-1 in a relatively short space of time, is a huge statement for me.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 16:34 - Aug 31 with 1422 viewsSaintsforeverj

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 16:24 - Aug 31 by franniesTache

I'm basing it on his whole time here, whilst you right we've not spent this kind of money i'd argue we have spent money and they have been his players.

My one consistently big complaint with Ralph (well two) have been his inability to stop us conceding goals and the mental weakness the team has had.

Like i've said in the past i want him to succeed but I still think someone like Thomas Frank would do a far better job.

That's your opinion but I disagree. I see the bigger picture. When you have Stephens and Bednerak as your main centre backs, it's hard to build mental strength and stop conceding because they are poor. Now we have better players, last night we showed plenty of resilience, mental strength and defended brilliantly. I think it's because Ralph now has better players and more resources. Let's see how the season pans out, but last night and Saturday, were better performance you could ever ask for. No manager would better that performance last night IMO.

[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 16:35]

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 16:36 - Aug 31 with 1418 viewsBicester_North

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 15:25 - Aug 31 by saints__fan__73

They all want Dyche mate. Though given how a manager who only signed white players would do with a team 90% black is anyone's guess...

You really are a bit of a freak

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 16:37 - Aug 31 with 1416 viewsSaintsforeverj

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 16:31 - Aug 31 by DorsetIan

It's more fundamental than having a weak team or bad runs of form.

Until this season, Ralph has consistently made strange decisions in relation to starting line ups, in game tactics and substitutions which have either dropped us points or failed to turn around losing positions.

There was always a sense that his performance in this respect dropped off when Danny Rohl left and now it seems that he has some new coaching support and things are improving again.

It could, of course, be all down to the new players and nothing to do with the tactical brains at play, but it's too much of a coincidence for me.

So 'Ralph [on his own] out' still makes sense, but as long as he can continue to work well with the new coaches then we'll all be happy for him to stay and them all to do well together.

From 0-6 to 2-1 in a relatively short space of time, is a huge statement for me.

Incidentally, Djenepo has been excellent. Ralph made the call. The fans were wrong, Djenepo has done well as left back whilst Perraud was injured. I was worried when he came on last night but he made a cracking tackle on the left in front of the Kingsland North to stop a Chelsea attack.

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 16:42 - Aug 31 with 1414 viewsfranniesTache

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 16:34 - Aug 31 by Saintsforeverj

That's your opinion but I disagree. I see the bigger picture. When you have Stephens and Bednerak as your main centre backs, it's hard to build mental strength and stop conceding because they are poor. Now we have better players, last night we showed plenty of resilience, mental strength and defended brilliantly. I think it's because Ralph now has better players and more resources. Let's see how the season pans out, but last night and Saturday, were better performance you could ever ask for. No manager would better that performance last night IMO.

[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 16:35]

Yeah I can see the case for give him the season and I’m not going argue if your opinion is wrong or right because we should all have our own opinion.

My stance is give him till the first losing streak, if he pulls us out of it quickly he should stay if he doesn’t sack him and stop wasting time.
How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 16:48 - Aug 31 with 1401 viewsSaintsforeverj

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 16:42 - Aug 31 by franniesTache

Yeah I can see the case for give him the season and I’m not going argue if your opinion is wrong or right because we should all have our own opinion.

My stance is give him till the first losing streak, if he pulls us out of it quickly he should stay if he doesn’t sack him and stop wasting time.

Hmm, all teams have bad runs , look.at Villa at the moment with Coutinho, Ings, and expensive players and they still lose. You could have a manager with resources and top.players and still do badly. At least Ralph did badly without resources and even then we had some good results and stayed up. Im happy we haven't got Gerrard or Lampard. They are useless even with top quality players.

I'm happy with 7th in the PL and beating Chelsea personally, so don't see any need for changes but some want more, it's all about opinions I suppose.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 16:49]

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 17:04 - Aug 31 with 1361 viewssaint68

I'd be not in the slightest bit bothered if left tomorrow..the impetus and direction gained so far this season is the recruitment and coaching staff...

He had his own way at spurs and the first 50 odd minutes at home to Leeds..we were identical to last year's end of season run in..he got overruled in the second half against Leeds and that was from new eyes stopping the previous seasons rot..

So Ralph can go whenever ..not bothered

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 17:06 - Aug 31 with 1357 viewsfranniesTache

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 16:48 - Aug 31 by Saintsforeverj

Hmm, all teams have bad runs , look.at Villa at the moment with Coutinho, Ings, and expensive players and they still lose. You could have a manager with resources and top.players and still do badly. At least Ralph did badly without resources and even then we had some good results and stayed up. Im happy we haven't got Gerrard or Lampard. They are useless even with top quality players.

I'm happy with 7th in the PL and beating Chelsea personally, so don't see any need for changes but some want more, it's all about opinions I suppose.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 16:49]

My take on it is that Ralph uses form to mask tactical errors. In the good runs we’ve had it’s been a handful of players - Ings, ward prowse, broja - carrying the side, not good management and tactics.

Like DorestIan said one of the consistencies with Ralph is he doesn’t change the system well enough when we’re losing (before this season) and sticks with things that aren’t working for too long.

Also I’m less than convinced of his man management, and willingness to blame players in public.

I hope the new coaches will change that, but to my point earlier imagine this squad and those coaches with a really good manager like Frank…
How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 17:16 - Aug 31 with 1343 viewsSaintsforeverj

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 17:06 - Aug 31 by franniesTache

My take on it is that Ralph uses form to mask tactical errors. In the good runs we’ve had it’s been a handful of players - Ings, ward prowse, broja - carrying the side, not good management and tactics.

Like DorestIan said one of the consistencies with Ralph is he doesn’t change the system well enough when we’re losing (before this season) and sticks with things that aren’t working for too long.

Also I’m less than convinced of his man management, and willingness to blame players in public.

I hope the new coaches will change that, but to my point earlier imagine this squad and those coaches with a really good manager like Frank…

Tactical errors, players, man management, I've seen it and heard it all since 76. We haven't won a thing since then and had many seasons of struggle under many different managers. We had Hughes, Pellegrino, Puel, Grey, Wigley. I've seen dull, boring passionless teams in my time. Games like last night is good enough for me.

We are above Brentford in the table? yes they beat us at their place, we beat them at our place 4 1. He's better based on what? We beat them convincingly at St Mary' last season. We are above Brentford in the league. Last season Brentford had a good season but so did Huddersfield in their first year. Let's see how we get on against Brentford at St Mary's and we can get back to each other on that!
[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 17:17]

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 17:22 - Aug 31 with 1327 viewsBerber

How are the 'Ralph Out' Brains Trust getting on over here? on 17:04 - Aug 31 by saint68

I'd be not in the slightest bit bothered if left tomorrow..the impetus and direction gained so far this season is the recruitment and coaching staff...

He had his own way at spurs and the first 50 odd minutes at home to Leeds..we were identical to last year's end of season run in..he got overruled in the second half against Leeds and that was from new eyes stopping the previous seasons rot..

So Ralph can go whenever ..not bothered

You think that RH is subservient to the coaches? “He got over ruled.”

Playing a back3 is definitely something we should be able to do, and worth persevering with. Ultimately, it is his call, and having a coaching team that he trusts is now a boon. I am glad that he has changed tack, but the back 3/5 needs to be worked on over time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024