Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More advanced and better for it 11:47 - Jan 16 with 1060 viewssaint901

There are many here who think that JWP is the cause of many of the problems we've had (and which we're still not clear of, although three wins against PL opposition in a week is a good start).

Looking at various heat maps of previous games, JWP was predominantly acting as a defensive midfield player. In the absence of Romeu (why was he sold?) it seems that RH and initially at least NJ saw him as a quarterback type player who could not only break up play but also make 30/40 yard passes.

For me - and now it seems for NJ - the penny has dropped that actually he's better higher up the pitch and able to play a part in the press and then play a 20 yard pass and find some space in or just outside the box.

When we had the purple patch last season and again earlier this season, JWP was played in that advanced (what some call a "No 10") position and we were a better team.

Now that's sorted, hopefully NJ can look at other areas which need attention. For example, why is one of the best right backs in the country being played on the left?
More advanced and better for it on 11:59 - Jan 16 with 1029 viewsSaintNick

I agree with most of what you say, however you ask why Romeu was sold, the answer was simple and logical, we had sold a player who was 31, we had signed a 20 year old who was clearly ready for the Premier league.

Romeu knew that his game time would be limited and therefore the club in discussion allowed him to leave so he could get a last payday

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

More advanced and better for it on 12:16 - Jan 16 with 1012 viewsTimSaint

As mentioned on another recent thread, Romeu wanted to leave and go back to Spain. We had other options in CM, so either gave his move a blessing as reward for his services to the Club, or sold him whilst we could still get a fee !! :-)

JWP could have had 4 at Goodison. At least we are now creating more chances and actually having shots on target - unlike v Forest !!

We still need to sign a striker. None of what we currently have is the answer. They all seem to randomly chip in with the odd goal or assist, but we need so much more from them all on a regular basis - which they are not capable of.

Maybe RH told NJ to play KWP on the left !! :-)

TimSaint

More advanced and better for it on 16:09 - Jan 16 with 927 viewssaint901

As somebody on here observed, Lyanco was played at left back earlier in the season and had a good game. Lyanco is actually showing some form now so playing him on the left and KWP on the right seems like a decent call to me.

I am a bit concerned that we're going to be on a good run of form when we have cup games ahead of us. Villa at home, the three cup games (Newcastle, Blackpool, Newcastle) before the league again.

I'd hate out purple patch to result in 6 league points, League cup final and FA cup quarters?
More advanced and better for it on 17:11 - Jan 16 with 887 viewsmushinexile

One might mischievously suggest thet moving JWP further up compensates for his lack of pace!
More advanced and better for it on 17:43 - Jan 16 with 865 viewskingslandstand1

More advanced and better for it on 17:11 - Jan 16 by mushinexile

One might mischievously suggest thet moving JWP further up compensates for his lack of pace!

And I'm sure I_Would would also say it gives him more space to pass backwards ................
More advanced and better for it on 23:02 - Jan 16 with 702 viewssledger

harry kane is slower than jwp pace aint everything gotta have brains
More advanced and better for it on 09:23 - Jan 18 with 567 viewsRon11

More advanced and better for it on 23:02 - Jan 16 by sledger

harry kane is slower than jwp pace aint everything gotta have brains

As in Ricky Lambert..
More advanced and better for it on 10:11 - Jan 18 with 549 viewssaint901

The old adage that the first twp yards are in your head is still true.

I can recall playing a match against an ex pro. I was a winger, he a full back. I was 20/21. He would have been twice that.

Absolutely left him for dead the first time there was a foot race for the ball. That was the only time in that match I got that opportunity because he always seemed to be in the right place at the right time.

One of the advantages of playing a high press/block is that play is stretched over a bigger area and more space appears in certain parts of the pitch. I think JWP is smart enough to exploit those.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024