Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reading Away 10:05 - Jul 24 with 1486 viewsSaintNick

Anyone go to Reading on Saturday what was it like

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Reading Away on 10:12 - Jul 24 with 1472 viewsMytchettSaint

Yes, had to drive as no train back for me. I’m sure Reading pubs haven’t changed much since we last played there.
I do worry about our Achilles heel (defence) heading into the season against better teams.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Reading Away on 10:53 - Jul 24 with 1416 viewsSaintNick

Reading Away on 10:12 - Jul 24 by MytchettSaint

Yes, had to drive as no train back for me. I’m sure Reading pubs haven’t changed much since we last played there.
I do worry about our Achilles heel (defence) heading into the season against better teams.

The centre of defence was a worry, but I think we all know, including the club, that we need at least two new central defenders in the next week or so.

I would suspect one we get rid of Salisu and Bella-Kotchap and even Lyanco then we will be able to sign a couple of faces

Reading Away on 12:02 - Jul 24 with 1357 viewssaint22

Reading Away on 10:12 - Jul 24 by MytchettSaint

Hard to believe we are about to start ANOTHER season needing a keeper AND centre backs!!!
We just don’t learn
Reading Away on 12:07 - Jul 24 with 1355 viewsSouthamptonfan

Reading Away on 12:02 - Jul 24 by saint22

Hard to believe we are about to start ANOTHER season needing a keeper AND centre backs!!!
We just don’t learn

Didn't we have this conversation 10 years ago? 😭

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Reading Away on 12:54 - Jul 24 with 1317 viewsSaintNick

Reading Away on 12:02 - Jul 24 by saint22

We just don’t learn

We need to offload before we sign anyone, lets be patient and see where we are firstly in the first game of the season and secondly when the transfer window closes

Reading Away on 13:16 - Jul 24 with 1297 viewsPatfromPoole

Reading Away on 12:54 - Jul 24 by SaintNick

We need to offload before we sign anyone, lets be patient and see where we are firstly in the first game of the season and secondly when the transfer window closes

But you don’t just have a new keeper and a new defence and have an automatic understanding between them.

It takes months to get that, not least with the added pressure of the ridiculous passing triangles in our own box which we are going to be able to enjoy in the coming weeks…..

It is more important that we have a keeper who can save shots rather than pass the ball.

Nick Pope is hopeless with his feet, but how many clean sheets did he keep for Newcastle last season? That’s why they are now in the Champions League.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Reading Away on 13:30 - Jul 24 with 1285 viewsTripleNiemi

Reading Away on 13:16 - Jul 24 by PatfromPoole

But you don’t just have a new keeper and a new defence and have an automatic understanding between them.

It takes months to get that, not least with the added pressure of the ridiculous passing triangles in our own box which we are going to be able to enjoy in the coming weeks…..

It is more important that we have a keeper who can save shots rather than pass the ball.

Nick Pope is hopeless with his feet, but how many clean sheets did he keep for Newcastle last season? That’s why they are now in the Champions League.

That and a decent manager (and Wonga) eh Pat……
[Post edited 24 Jul 2023 13:36]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Reading Away on 13:40 - Jul 24 with 1275 viewsPatfromPoole

Reading Away on 13:30 - Jul 24 by TripleNiemi

That and a decent manager (and Wonga) eh Pat……
[Post edited 24 Jul 2023 13:36]

Well, yes.

I am trying not to inflame further and just be deemed as completely negative all the time.

But you can’t just say “oh well, Bazunu wasn’t very good in the Prem because he was young and he didn’t have a settled back 4”.

The reality of the game now is that you very rarely get a settled back 4 due to the speed of the game meaning more injuries, added to the impact of there being 8 more League games this season.

It is pretty simple.

A good keeper is a good keeper, and he will manage his defence.

Bazunu and McCarthy are both too quiet, and neither of them seem to know where their goalposts are.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Reading Away on 13:42 - Jul 24 with 1272 viewsSaintNick

Reading Away on 13:16 - Jul 24 by PatfromPoole

You could be right you cant just bring in a new keeper and a new defence, but two central defenders are more of a priority than a keeper.

Getting used to the playing style isnt that difficult, Saints looked ok on it against Reading if you watched the match, both goals came from breakaways rather than poor passing, I am more concerned about our lack of pace in the centre of defence at the moment.

Whilst i see you point about stopping shots, you also have to look at just how many shots on target teams get these days, most of our goals last season were conceded by giving the opposition an unmarked attempt on goal from a close range, looks bad on a keepers stats, but truth is if someone is firing it in from close range you dont have a great chance of stopping it.

Professional teams look more about what a keeper does up and above saving shots they look at his ability to deal with crosses, (you get a lot more crosses than shots) they look at coming off his line and these days they look at how you distribute the ball.

Yes Nick Pope had a lot of clean sheets, but that doesn't get him in the England team either, as im sure you know he couldn't axe Pickford due to his poor distribution, despite conceding 24 goals less than the Everton man.

With Newcastle starting to vamp up the spending, how long do you think Pope will last ? last season Newcastle based it on getting behind the ball and keeping things tight and going on the break, with better players they will rely less on that and more on possession football

Reading Away on 16:22 - Jul 24 with 1201 viewsIfonly

Reading Away on 13:40 - Jul 24 by PatfromPoole

Well, yes.

I am trying not to inflame further and just be deemed as completely negative all the time.

But you can’t just say “oh well, Bazunu wasn’t very good in the Prem because he was young and he didn’t have a settled back 4”.

The reality of the game now is that you very rarely get a settled back 4 due to the speed of the game meaning more injuries, added to the impact of there being 8 more League games this season.

It is pretty simple.

A good keeper is a good keeper, and he will manage his defence.

Bazunu and McCarthy are both too quiet, and neither of them seem to know where their goalposts are.

One thing I noticed about Lis in the Goztepe game was how he managed his defenders. Probably can't speak Turkish but that didn't stop him. I really don't know why they didn't have a look at him before loaning him out. My guess is that was a SR decision not a Saints decision. On the very limited evidence of 45 mins in a friendly, he looked a better bet than both Bazunu and McCarthy.
Reading Away on 17:01 - Jul 24 with 1168 viewsSalisburySaint

Reading Away on 16:22 - Jul 24 by Ifonly

One thing I noticed about Lis in the Goztepe game was how he managed his defenders. Probably can't speak Turkish but that didn't stop him. I really don't know why they didn't have a look at him before loaning him out. My guess is that was a SR decision not a Saints decision. On the very limited evidence of 45 mins in a friendly, he looked a better bet than both Bazunu and McCarthy.

Went and had a great day out.

Travelled by train withourt any issues, my son went by car and got back to Salisbury at 7.30 due to heavy traffic, whilst those of us on train got back at 6.55, even though the train didn’t leave the new Reading Green Park station, a 20 min walk from ground, until 5.44.

Overall good performance, apart from a few defensive lapses for their goals, but the way we played the ball around was superb, nice quick, crisp passing, with people available in holes in the midfield to pick up the ball from defenders, rather than the slow build up and sideways stuff we’ve seen recently, that normally ended up with a hoof over the top

Also nice to see wide men taking on the full backs, it’s much more dangerous if you can pull the ball back from the by-line.

Smallbone and Adam Armstrong had good games, AA loking far better playing up the middle.

I know Reading aren’t very good, but I was pleasantly surprised how much better we looked, but let’s see how things work out against Bournemouth and AZ before going overboard.
Reading Away on 18:23 - Jul 24 with 1123 viewsSouthamptonfan

Reading Away on 17:01 - Jul 24 by SalisburySaint

Went and had a great day out.

Travelled by train withourt any issues, my son went by car and got back to Salisbury at 7.30 due to heavy traffic, whilst those of us on train got back at 6.55, even though the train didn’t leave the new Reading Green Park station, a 20 min walk from ground, until 5.44.

Overall good performance, apart from a few defensive lapses for their goals, but the way we played the ball around was superb, nice quick, crisp passing, with people available in holes in the midfield to pick up the ball from defenders, rather than the slow build up and sideways stuff we’ve seen recently, that normally ended up with a hoof over the top

Also nice to see wide men taking on the full backs, it’s much more dangerous if you can pull the ball back from the by-line.

Smallbone and Adam Armstrong had good games, AA loking far better playing up the middle.

I know Reading aren’t very good, but I was pleasantly surprised how much better we looked, but let’s see how things work out against Bournemouth and AZ before going overboard.

You mention about wide men taking on the full backs. Did you notice more crosses, once past the full backs? I'd love to see a lot more taking on of full backs but would also like to see more crosses in the box and some aggressive movement into the box. Did you see any of that?

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Reading Away on 18:48 - Jul 24 with 1096 viewsJellybaby

I went with a Reading fan, he was very taken with Edozie. I thought Smallbone was the pick of the bunch alongside JWP, he could be big for us this year.

Reading were poor, but the first 20 mins in particular we looked exceptionally good, the passing was crisp and confident. We actually looked like a prem team for once. At this moment in time I'm looking forward to the season, I think it should be fun.

Took a long time getting out of the stadium carpark, wouldn't do that again.

I know it was a friendly but Bazunu mostly took ages to release the ball, not sure if this was the plan to allow for the team to get organised or he is just slow?

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

Reading Away on 19:24 - Jul 24 with 1053 viewsSalisburySaint

Reading Away on 18:23 - Jul 24 by Southamptonfan

You mention about wide men taking on the full backs. Did you notice more crosses, once past the full backs? I'd love to see a lot more taking on of full backs but would also like to see more crosses in the box and some aggressive movement into the box. Did you see any of that?

Two of the goals came from balls pulled back from touchline, and we had several other good opportunities from same route, as you’ll see on video

Reading Away on 21:09 - Jul 24 with 979 views1ASIN12

Every time I go to Reading I come back pleased that St Mary’s is not in the middle of a nowhere and 3-4 miles out from the town centre . I think if I were a Reading Fan I’d have given up going to home games .

I was pleasantly surprised with Saints performance and it wasn’t as tippy tappy as some said our style of play would be . There wasn’t too many passes for the sake of it and we looked to attack - much better then the shlt Selles had us playing .

Having said that Reading looked a very poor side yet they still managed to score twice against us and as others have said we do need a better keeper if we go into the season with Bazunu as 1st choice then we will be in the shlt.

Enjoyed the game and it was nice to see a win though I still have my doubts we will finish in the top 6 .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024