Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mara 20:43 - Jan 6 with 2344 viewssaint22

He got a goal finally but he proved today he is not good enough at all
Mara on 21:49 - Jan 6 with 2239 viewskingolaf

I question his work ethic.
Mara on 21:55 - Jan 6 with 2228 viewsSouthamptonfan

Mara on 21:49 - Jan 6 by kingolaf

I question his work ethic.

I think you're right. He has some talent I think, but he just strolls around most of the time. He doesn't have the passion or attitude needed to succeed.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Mara on 09:44 - Jan 7 with 1931 viewsSaintNick

Mara on 21:55 - Jan 6 by Southamptonfan

I think you're right. He has some talent I think, but he just strolls around most of the time. He doesn't have the passion or attitude needed to succeed.

Sekou Mara is a fringe player he offers a different type of player than our other forwards, but to say he doesn't work hard is wrong, some players don't outwardly show passion or attitude etc, that doesn't mean they have it.

Judge Sekou Mara on the job he is here to do and that is as a squad players, rarely starting and coming on for 10 minutes at the end of games to help close them out , from that perspective he is doing a fine job.

If people are going to criticise players then they should say who would do the job better either at the club or from elsewhere and back that up with examples.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Mara on 10:01 - Jan 7 with 1907 viewsPatfromPoole

Mara on 09:44 - Jan 7 by SaintNick

Sekou Mara is a fringe player he offers a different type of player than our other forwards, but to say he doesn't work hard is wrong, some players don't outwardly show passion or attitude etc, that doesn't mean they have it.

Judge Sekou Mara on the job he is here to do and that is as a squad players, rarely starting and coming on for 10 minutes at the end of games to help close them out , from that perspective he is doing a fine job.

If people are going to criticise players then they should say who would do the job better either at the club or from elsewhere and back that up with examples.

Is that the job he is here to do?

Why is it then that we are in clear need of a striker with Ross Stewart injured?

Should a player supposedly on Lille’s radar be able to come in and show we don’t need to buy a striker?

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Mara on 11:10 - Jan 7 with 1843 viewsPatfromPoole

The thing is, Nick, we are not going to be 3-0 up with 20 minutes to play in every game.

A number of future games are likely to be tight, where after 70 minutes we might be a goal ahead, level or a goal behind.

At that point, we are going to need a forward to come on, make an impact and make the difference.

Small Jobs is clearly not that man. He has had ample chances.

If we are 3-0 up on 70 minutes and need a fresh set of legs to give an established player a bit of a rest, you might as well put Sam Amo or Dibling on and give them some more valuable experience.

As for an alternative, Kiefer Moore on a 6-month loan from Boscombe.

If we don’t do it, Leeds or Ipswich will.

Mara on 11:14 - Jan 7 with 1834 viewsdirk_doone

Most fans, including me, were calling for him to be subbed yesterday after he missed 2 easy chances but then he took his goal well. The swivel and shot were quite impressive. He may well have more improvement left in him so I'm holding off writing him off just yet, although he is still far from being one of my favourite players.

As for the missed chances, it shows how many chances we are creating nowadays, when we still won 4-0. There were also missed chances in our 5-0 win over Swansea. We could be winning these games 9-0!

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Mara on 13:20 - Jan 7 with 1750 viewsSouthamptonfan

He doesn't give enough for me. Adam Armstrong who runs from one of end of the pitch to the other to make a tackle, to huge cheers, is the type of player I like and is also the type of player that the majority of fans like, someone who goes above and beyond for the team. Mara, never does that, hence the fans criticism of him I think.

Another player I like is Charlie Alcaraz. He's raw, makes mistakes, but he puts a shift in and is everywhere on the pitch. Mara, seems to just stand up the front. He only moves when he is given the ball. I think he has something, but for me he needs to do more. It's not about replacing him as a fringe player necessarily, it's about Mara recognising that he has something but needs to look at what Adam Armstrong does and run around more. Same with Fraser yesterday, he was absolutely exhausted and gave everything. Mara, doesn't give the same levels as those players mentioned in my opinion, but if he did, I think he could be a very good player.

The point is, it's not always about ability. If you want to get the fans onside, show some passion and run like your life depends on it for our club. Adam Armstrong and others do that, same as Charlie, hence why they aren't criticised but Mara is.
[Post edited 7 Jan 13:59]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Mara on 14:42 - Jan 7 with 1690 views1885_SFC

Let's be brutally honest. If we're relying on Mara to start games & score goals - or come on late on and score a goal in order to rescue a point (or three) - we are going to be sadly disheartened.

Old School is Cool

Login to get fewer ads

Mara on 14:48 - Jan 7 with 1681 viewsBerber

Frankly Nick, that is absolute Tosh. See Pat’sreply.
Mara on 19:04 - Jan 7 with 1597 viewsSaintEPW

These comments remind me of what folks used to say about Le Tissier or Osgood .......strolling about..... How about we give him a break. He's only 21 - moved to a strange country......foreign language.....playing football that is totally different from the way he has played in France. It takes time to adjust. His movement is excellent in terms of positions he takes up and how he positions to receive the ball.....not in terms of how many miles he runs....he has scored two goals against Man City.......they are not exactly defenders who make it easy...
Mara on 19:11 - Jan 7 with 1585 viewsPatfromPoole

Mara on 19:04 - Jan 7 by SaintEPW

These comments remind me of what folks used to say about Le Tissier or Osgood .......strolling about..... How about we give him a break. He's only 21 - moved to a strange country......foreign language.....playing football that is totally different from the way he has played in France. It takes time to adjust. His movement is excellent in terms of positions he takes up and how he positions to receive the ball.....not in terms of how many miles he runs....he has scored two goals against Man City.......they are not exactly defenders who make it easy...

He’s been here for 18 months.

Movement?

Mara on 20:14 - Jan 7 with 1534 viewsgrumpy

There’s a good player in there trying to get out. He’s only 21 and has represented France youth teams he must be talented to have done that. The worst thing we could do is not encourage him.
Mara on 10:02 - Jan 8 with 1369 viewssaint901

I've said before that I'm not a fan of Mara.

He has a number of weaknesses which make him unsuited to us in the Champ and will make him more unsuited if we got to the PL.

These are issues that can be coached and made stronger but he's been with us a while now and either the coaching is not sticking in his head or he doesn't want it to.

For example, for me his strength is being in the box and reacting to the loose ball or a half chance. Give him time to think and it all goes awry. (That will improve as he gets older).

However RM wants to play a passing/possession game and that needs EVERY player to be available for a pass.

Mara has a tendency to patrol a rectangle from centre circle to penalty area which excludes any wide areas. He also stands behind defenders. If you can't see him, you can't pass to him.

He is a CB's dream. Immoblile, not that quick, predictable and only when other players have peeled off the other defenders, does he look good. He's a passenger most of the game.

All of these things he can fix - run a little harder, close people down, find the space and call for the ball. None of this is rocket science.

He has the skills. If he has the attitude and desire, he needs to show it.
Mara on 10:15 - Jan 8 with 1363 viewsSaintNick

Mara on 13:20 - Jan 7 by Southamptonfan

He doesn't give enough for me. Adam Armstrong who runs from one of end of the pitch to the other to make a tackle, to huge cheers, is the type of player I like and is also the type of player that the majority of fans like, someone who goes above and beyond for the team. Mara, never does that, hence the fans criticism of him I think.

Another player I like is Charlie Alcaraz. He's raw, makes mistakes, but he puts a shift in and is everywhere on the pitch. Mara, seems to just stand up the front. He only moves when he is given the ball. I think he has something, but for me he needs to do more. It's not about replacing him as a fringe player necessarily, it's about Mara recognising that he has something but needs to look at what Adam Armstrong does and run around more. Same with Fraser yesterday, he was absolutely exhausted and gave everything. Mara, doesn't give the same levels as those players mentioned in my opinion, but if he did, I think he could be a very good player.

The point is, it's not always about ability. If you want to get the fans onside, show some passion and run like your life depends on it for our club. Adam Armstrong and others do that, same as Charlie, hence why they aren't criticised but Mara is.
[Post edited 7 Jan 13:59]

One mans meat is anothers poison as they say.

"Another player I like is Charlie Alcaraz. He's raw, makes mistakes, but he puts a shift in and is everywhere on the pitch. Mara, seems to just stand up the front. He only moves when he is given the ball. "

Alcaraz is loved, Ryan Manning isn't, but he too puts a shift in and is everywhere on the pitch, he too makes mistakes !!!!! so why isn't Manning loved for his commitment.

"He only moves when he is given the ball. " Matt Le Tissier was revered as a god for doing that.

I don't think Mara is the best player I have ever seen, but he is far from the worst, I would rather have Mara coming off the bench than Dan N'Lundulu for instance, nothing against Dan, he was raw, put a shift in and was everywhere on the pitch chasing the ball.

Football these days is a squad game, you can't have 10 Kyle Walker - Peters in your team and you cant have 10 Adam Armstrongs, you have to have contrast.

Im just baffled that after 18 games unbeaten some still look to point out players for criticism Sekou Mara is being used to come on late and close out games, we are 18 games unbeaten he is doing his job.

If he starts scoring regularly then perhaps he will get more game time, but as it is this is his role, at the moment we are a forward down with Ross Stewart not playing, there is no other option

Mara on 12:21 - Jan 8 with 1309 viewsPatfromPoole

Mara on 10:15 - Jan 8 by SaintNick

One mans meat is anothers poison as they say.

"Another player I like is Charlie Alcaraz. He's raw, makes mistakes, but he puts a shift in and is everywhere on the pitch. Mara, seems to just stand up the front. He only moves when he is given the ball. "

Alcaraz is loved, Ryan Manning isn't, but he too puts a shift in and is everywhere on the pitch, he too makes mistakes !!!!! so why isn't Manning loved for his commitment.

"He only moves when he is given the ball. " Matt Le Tissier was revered as a god for doing that.

I don't think Mara is the best player I have ever seen, but he is far from the worst, I would rather have Mara coming off the bench than Dan N'Lundulu for instance, nothing against Dan, he was raw, put a shift in and was everywhere on the pitch chasing the ball.

Football these days is a squad game, you can't have 10 Kyle Walker - Peters in your team and you cant have 10 Adam Armstrongs, you have to have contrast.

Im just baffled that after 18 games unbeaten some still look to point out players for criticism Sekou Mara is being used to come on late and close out games, we are 18 games unbeaten he is doing his job.

If he starts scoring regularly then perhaps he will get more game time, but as it is this is his role, at the moment we are a forward down with Ross Stewart not playing, there is no other option

If his job is coming on at the end of a game for the last 20 minutes and seeing out a 3-0 win, then any of our academy players could do that.

Mara on 12:34 - Jan 8 with 1299 viewsSaintNick

Mara on 12:21 - Jan 8 by PatfromPoole

If his job is coming on at the end of a game for the last 20 minutes and seeing out a 3-0 win, then any of our academy players could do that.

Given that of the 18 games unbeaten only 5 saw a win by more than 1 goal or indeed of the 22 games we have not lost in total it's still only 5 of the 22, Mara is the man for the job.

Given that in many of these games Ryan Manning was also on the pitch in the final phase, it is a miracle that we are not laying in 17th

Mara on 12:38 - Jan 8 with 1295 viewsSaintNick

Mara on 12:21 - Jan 8 by PatfromPoole

I have yet to hear

When the games in the bag
It's not Cameron Bragg
It's Sekou Mara

Mara on 12:38 - Jan 8 with 1295 viewsPatfromPoole

Mara on 12:34 - Jan 8 by SaintNick

Given that of the 18 games unbeaten only 5 saw a win by more than 1 goal or indeed of the 22 games we have not lost in total it's still only 5 of the 22, Mara is the man for the job.

Given that in many of these games Ryan Manning was also on the pitch in the final phase, it is a miracle that we are not laying in 17th

If all the players were of the standard of those two, we would be lucky to be 17th.

As it is, we have 6 or 7 first-team players who are too good for this League.

Mara on 13:02 - Jan 8 with 1270 viewsSonicBoom

For me the issue is with Mara that he doesn't seem to be progressing. He arrived and looked like he had potential and he still does. He just doesn't seem to be making that progress.

When he plays I still have that feeling that he "might" do something and if he does it's a bonus, rather than having the feeling that he actually is going to contribute.
He is still very young though and has time to improve.
Mara on 14:00 - Jan 8 with 1247 viewsBerber

Mara on 12:38 - Jan 8 by PatfromPoole

If all the players were of the standard of those two, we would be lucky to be 17th.

As it is, we have 6 or 7 first-team players who are too good for this League.

Exactly, Manning is a league 1/Championship journeyman at best. If Nick was arguing that he should be brought on to see out games, he might have something of a case. I think that both Manning and Mara are not good enough for a team that is in the playoff places in the Championship or in the PL.

Assuming that is where most fans would like is to be in the near future, I can’t see how either of these players really has much of a role apart from making up numbers.
Mara on 18:19 - Jan 8 with 1185 viewsTimSaint

To give us all some idea of how Mara is doing......

We bought him 18 months ago for 11 Million Euros, plus a further 2 Million Euros in Add-Ons. Not sure what those Add-Ons are, or whether we've paid any of them, but he could cost us as much as 13 Million Euros.

Currently on (the Nick used and approved) Transfermarkt his value is 7 Million Euros.

TimSaint

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024