Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Remain With or Leave the EU 19:55 - Jun 2 with 129893 viewsunion_jack

Remain With or Leave the EU

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:08 - Jun 15 with 1539 viewsexiledclaseboy

Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:10 - Jun 15 by A_Fans_Dad

The UK MEPs voted against the motions in the best interests of the UK and were outvoted on all 72 occasions what more can I tell you?
If you need to know the details go and find them yourself, I am not interested in what they voted FOR if it was in the best interest of the UK or were told to vote for them by our Government.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2016 12:11]

All UK MEPs voted against these things? There are 73 of them all from different parties and they all voted the same way on 72 separate occasions?

Poll: Tory leader

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:12 - Jun 15 with 1525 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:08 - Jun 15 by exiledclaseboy

All UK MEPs voted against these things? There are 73 of them all from different parties and they all voted the same way on 72 separate occasions?

Why are you nit picking about quantity or party politics, the point is the people representing the UK's interests were out voted every time and that is the way that it will always be.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:13 - Jun 15 with 1525 viewsNeathJack

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:08 - Jun 15 by exiledclaseboy

Council of ministers, not the MEP's.

https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-facts-behind-claims-uk-influence/
Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:14 - Jun 15 with 1520 viewsexiledclaseboy

Remain With or Leave the EU on 17:07 - Jun 15 by westwiltsjack

There was a documentary/news item on the other night where an interviewer and film crew had set up in some godforsaken bingo hall, slash, ‘working mens’ club in the North East I think. (How do they find these places? I’m convinced that TV companies employ teams of hovel sniffers trained to track the scent of spliff, attack dogs, Lynx and emaciated hags). Anyway, a half dozen or so dentally deficient local ladies were being questioned regarding their likely vote in the referendum and - surprise, surprise - they were, all of them, minded to vote for Brexit because (as one of them stated enthusiastically (or rather cackled inanely)) it was time to put the ‘Great’ back into Britain (or similar). And, at the point where she finished saying the word ‘Brittn’ and her cracked lips formed into a hideous grin, any lingering doubts I had about my instinctive remain vote vanished completely — a moment of clarity if you like. And so, on the 23 June they will stride out, these modern day Bodiceas, to the polling station — flip flops, ankle tattoos and 2 month old toe varnish - through some desolate, dog shat ravaged northern ghetto, imbued with a perverse fusion of patriotism and racial superiority, and reeking of a late morning fag/cider/fry up combo, to put a tick in the box for Blighty. They are of course the same types booking cheap holidays to places in southern Europe; that they are unlikely to be able to pronounce or locate on a map, where they will (probably) consume liver pickling quantities of alco-pops, contract some localised gonorrhoea super variant (entirely possible and possibly knowingly) and compete to see who can develop the largest melanoma (almost definitely and possibly unknowingly). Oh yes! I can just imagine Penny (Mordaunt - French name) and ‘Pretty’ (Patel - Indian name I guess) discussing with these lovelies the feminist economic benefits of Brexit and the possible reduction in the cost of casual rubber footwear over a convivial Pimms or fourteen; that engagement wouldn’t register at all on their frightful & ghastly monitors, would it? And I’m certain that Gove (Scottish name), Farage (French Name) and Sir ob Nosnhoj (thoroughly British ancestry) are straining to align themselves proudly with this bunch of Brexit babes — not me thanks, I’m in! A sudden and uncontrolled influx of Romanian gangsters wielding garage manufactured hand guns and the latest line in credit card cloning techno-gadgetry appeals more, frankly. That last bit is over the top I admit.

It is however going to be massively interesting if Tribe Brexit prevails, the coverage thus far will pale.

While I find myself firmly on the remain camp now (mainly on account of who I see in the leave camp and the consequences of having those particular lunatics running the asylum) that kind of condescending, snobbish diatribe does the remain argument absolutely no good at all I'm afraid.

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:15 - Jun 15 with 1519 viewsnice_to_michu

Remain With or Leave the EU on 19:57 - Jun 15 by londonlisa2001

The problem is though, that when anyone tries to explain why Brexit doesn't really have an impact on immigration as I and others have done just today, it's ignored.

A few hours later we hear the same cry about immigration because when it comes down to it - that's what it's all about for the majority of brexiters.

Exactly. It falls on deaf ears.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:16 - Jun 15 with 1516 viewsexiledclaseboy

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:12 - Jun 15 by A_Fans_Dad

Why are you nit picking about quantity or party politics, the point is the people representing the UK's interests were out voted every time and that is the way that it will always be.

I'm just questioning your claim which as it turns out is at least partially incorrect.

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:18 - Jun 15 with 1511 viewsexiledclaseboy

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:13 - Jun 15 by NeathJack

Council of ministers, not the MEP's.

https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-facts-behind-claims-uk-influence/

Thanks. This is far more like the truth.

Official EU voting records* show that the British government has voted ‘No’ to laws passed at EU level on 56 occasions, abstained 70 times, and voted ‘Yes’ 2,466 times since 1999, according to UK in a Changing Europe Fellows Sara Hagemann and Simon Hix.

In other words, UK ministers were on the “winning side” 95% of the time, abstained 3% of the time, and were on the losing side 2%. The Vote Leave campaign has counted another 16 votes between 1996 and 1998 where it says the UK was on the losing side, to bring its total up to 72. We haven’t been able to check this figure but the general picture won’t change much whether the number is 56 or 72.
So the UK government has actively supported 95% of the laws that originated from the EU since 1999.

Not the whole picture of course but them neither is implying that MEPs (sic) voting 72 times against a certain policy is in any way significant given the actual numbers.

Facts schmacts.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2016 20:23]

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:20 - Jun 15 with 1507 viewsnice_to_michu

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:12 - Jun 15 by A_Fans_Dad

What do you say to this then:

- "The British government has voted against EU laws 2% of the time since 1999

Official EU voting records* show that the British government has voted ‘No’ to laws passed at EU level on 56 occasions, abstained 70 times, and voted ‘Yes’ 2,466 times since 1999, according to UK in a Changing Europe Fellows Sara Hagemann and Simon Hix.

In other words, UK ministers were on the “winning side” 95% of the time, abstained 3% of the time, and were on the losing side 2%."

This is counting votes in the EU Council of Ministers, which passes most EU laws jointly with the European Parliament.
Login to get fewer ads

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:21 - Jun 15 with 1506 viewsnice_to_michu

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:18 - Jun 15 by exiledclaseboy

Thanks. This is far more like the truth.

In other words, UK ministers were on the “winning side” 95% of the time, abstained 3% of the time, and were on the losing side 2%. The Vote Leave campaign has counted another 16 votes between 1996 and 1998 where it says the UK was on the losing side, to bring its total up to 72. We haven’t been able to check this figure but the general picture won’t change much whether the number is 56 or 72.
So the UK government has actively supported 95% of the laws that originated from the EU since 1999.

Not the whole picture of course but them neither is implying that MEPs (sic) voting 72 times against a certain policy is in any way significant given the actual numbers.

Facts schmacts.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2016 20:23]

Me and you are on the same wavelength tonight, fella
Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:26 - Jun 15 with 1490 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:20 - Jun 15 by nice_to_michu

In other words, UK ministers were on the “winning side” 95% of the time, abstained 3% of the time, and were on the losing side 2%."

This is counting votes in the EU Council of Ministers, which passes most EU laws jointly with the European Parliament.

"In other words, UK ministers were on the “winning side” 95% of the time"
of course they have, they totally support the EU, why the hell do you think we wanted the referendum in the first place?
Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:28 - Jun 15 with 1486 viewsexiledclaseboy

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:26 - Jun 15 by A_Fans_Dad

of course they have, they totally support the EU, why the hell do you think we wanted the referendum in the first place?

But your original point was to draw attention to how these same ministers keep voting against EU law and keep getting voted down.

Except that turned out not to be true.

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:29 - Jun 15 with 1477 viewsnice_to_michu

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:26 - Jun 15 by A_Fans_Dad

You said the following:

"Why are you nit picking about quantity or party politics, the point is the people representing the UK's interests were out voted every time and that is the way that it will always be"

- the points just made above totally refute what you said. But instead, you move the goal posts
Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:32 - Jun 15 with 1468 viewsdonkeylabour

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:14 - Jun 15 by exiledclaseboy

While I find myself firmly on the remain camp now (mainly on account of who I see in the leave camp and the consequences of having those particular lunatics running the asylum) that kind of condescending, snobbish diatribe does the remain argument absolutely no good at all I'm afraid.

Argh bollox it's true stop pussy footing around

My father voted labour and his father voted labour and his father voted labour so I vote labour

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:32 - Jun 15 with 1463 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:28 - Jun 15 by exiledclaseboy

But your original point was to draw attention to how these same ministers keep voting against EU law and keep getting voted down.

Except that turned out not to be true.

I just love the way that you cherry picked that data, just like warmists do to make their points.
You forgot to mention thais part
The UK has been in a losing minority more often over the past few years

In recent years the UK has been more often on the losing side of these votes.

Research by Dr Hagemann and Professor Hix shows that between 2009 and 2015 the UK voted against the majority 12.3% of the time, compared to 2.6% of the time between 2004 and 2009.

That made it the country most likely to be on the losing side during the later period–the closest competitors were Germany and Austria, which were on the losing side 5.4% of the time.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:33 - Jun 15 with 1460 viewsNeathJack

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:29 - Jun 15 by nice_to_michu

You said the following:

"Why are you nit picking about quantity or party politics, the point is the people representing the UK's interests were out voted every time and that is the way that it will always be"

- the points just made above totally refute what you said. But instead, you move the goal posts

To be fair, I think the point being made was the UK were outvoted every time they voted against the EU proposals.

Which I'm fairly sure is 100% accurate.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:33 - Jun 15 with 1460 viewsdonkeylabour

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:15 - Jun 15 by nice_to_michu

Exactly. It falls on deaf ears.

Yep. Brexit is basically the answer to all of life's problems. It reminds me of labours bankers bonus tax, the tax that kept on giving

My father voted labour and his father voted labour and his father voted labour so I vote labour

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:35 - Jun 15 with 1458 viewsdonkeylabour

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:20 - Jun 15 by nice_to_michu

Stop stating facts you project fear establishment lackey

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:35 - Jun 15 with 1454 viewsexiledclaseboy

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:32 - Jun 15 by A_Fans_Dad

I just love the way that you cherry picked that data, just like warmists do to make their points.
You forgot to mention thais part

Research by Dr Hagemann and Professor Hix shows that between 2009 and 2015 the UK voted against the majority 12.3% of the time, compared to 2.6% of the time between 2004 and 2009.

That made it the country most likely to be on the losing side during the later period–the closest competitors were Germany and Austria, which were on the losing side 5.4% of the time.

You cherry picked the data my friend. It was you who posted it. I'd never heard of it before. I just added context from NJ's link (NJ is a fellow Brexiteer of yours, by the way) when you refused do so to for now obvious reasons. Let it go.

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:36 - Jun 15 with 1450 viewsexiledclaseboy

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:33 - Jun 15 by NeathJack

To be fair, I think the point being made was the UK were outvoted every time they voted against the EU proposals.

Which I'm fairly sure is 100% accurate.

Means nothing without the context you provided though.

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:36 - Jun 15 with 1446 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:35 - Jun 15 by donkeylabour

Stop stating facts you project fear establishment lackey

Didn't quote these facts though form the same report did he?

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:38 - Jun 15 with 1441 viewsdonkeylabour

What makes this democracy question even more ridiculous is the fact the EU is elected under a proportional system where as the Uk is stuck in the old two party rut.

Bring on the super State I say

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:38 - Jun 15 with 1440 viewsexiledclaseboy

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:39 - Jun 15 with 1437 viewsNeathJack

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:36 - Jun 15 by exiledclaseboy

Means nothing without the context you provided though.

Indeed.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:40 - Jun 15 with 1435 viewsexiledclaseboy

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:38 - Jun 15 by donkeylabour

What makes this democracy question even more ridiculous is the fact the EU is elected under a proportional system where as the Uk is stuck in the old two party rut.

Bring on the super State I say

Elections for MEPs are far more democratic and representative than Westminster elections are, that much is certainly true.

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:40 - Jun 15 with 1435 viewsdonkeylabour

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:36 - Jun 15 by A_Fans_Dad

Didn't quote these facts though form the same report did he?

Compromise, completely happy with that.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024