Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lumley 03:07 - Sep 15 with 12688 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I've seen a few posts hinting at "the elephant in the room" (whatever that means). This is a forum so let's just cut to the chase. This season Lumley has been prone to some brain farts (Stoke and Brizzle away spring to mind). Whilst you could put some down to inexperience, today's mistake for Luton's first goal was simply unacceptable. Every week Warburton talks about cutting out individual errors and learning from mistakes but Joe doesn't seem to be taking heed. So what do you good people think? Does Joe deserve another chance or is it time to give Kelly his shot?
Lumley on 11:22 - Sep 15 with 2528 viewsstevec

Lumley on 11:10 - Sep 15 by Esox_Lucius

Can we talk about the real elephant in the room? The people who only post about the negatives and can't seem to take any joy in the football we are currently experiencing at KPFS. It is hard to remember any better football being played at W12 in the last 50 years but there are those who only want to point out the faults, and not in a constructive criticism way either. Lumley probably made the least mistakes of any of our players yesterday, one, but he is being held up as the only reason we aren't further up the table. That is a load of testicles. This isn't a a team assembled for £30-50m or more it is a team of kids, freebies, rejects and loanees, next time you want to post about how bad some of them are try to remember that... and don't bother posting it.
Just about everyone thought we would be in a season long relegation scrap and the fact that we are in the upper part of the top half is a testament to ALL the players concerned.

This is a message board and everyone’s entitled to their view, positive or negative.

I’ve stated earlier we had ten outstanding performances from outfield players, Eze was majestic, an absolute class act, true enough he should have his own thread on here this morning and happy to contribute but If there’s any negative aspect to the game then it shouldn’t be buried otherwise the whole ethos of a message board becomes disingenuous.
Lumley on 11:37 - Sep 15 with 2506 viewsEsox_Lucius

Lumley on 11:22 - Sep 15 by stevec

This is a message board and everyone’s entitled to their view, positive or negative.

I’ve stated earlier we had ten outstanding performances from outfield players, Eze was majestic, an absolute class act, true enough he should have his own thread on here this morning and happy to contribute but If there’s any negative aspect to the game then it shouldn’t be buried otherwise the whole ethos of a message board becomes disingenuous.

He made one mistake, ONE! the least of any QPR player and you want to dig him out. You don't want to mention how he got BFG out of trouble? or the magnificent save he made to keep the score at 3-2?

The grass is always greener.

Lumley on 11:58 - Sep 15 with 2443 viewsjonno

Lumley on 11:37 - Sep 15 by Esox_Lucius

He made one mistake, ONE! the least of any QPR player and you want to dig him out. You don't want to mention how he got BFG out of trouble? or the magnificent save he made to keep the score at 3-2?

Agree although it was a needless and idiotic mistake. But the point is that if he was a great keeper he wouldn't be playing for us would he? My view is that Lumley will never be a great keeper, but he can become better than he is now and that will hopefully happen, starting with eliminating errors such as that one yesterday. But I think we should be celebrating how well the team is playing and the fact that we are currently seventh, one point off second place in the league, when many thought we would be at the other end of the table.
Lumley on 12:03 - Sep 15 with 2435 viewsBoston

Lumley is better than Kelly.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2019 12:04]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Lumley on 12:08 - Sep 15 with 2419 viewspaulparker

Lumley on 09:20 - Sep 15 by MedwayR

Lumley has made more howlers than Ingram ever did yet keeps getting a free pass each time whilst Ingram was slated, the difference in the reaction is bizarre. In fact Toby Roberts & Rob Green got more stick despite making fewer errors at a higher level than Lumley will ever play. People seriously thought Bristol City were ready to spend £2m on Lumley, really. Lumley has his strengths and I hope he improves to become a good player but I struggle to see past the regular costly f**k ups at the moment.

Got to agree
I find Lumley very overrated if truth be told , I’d play kelly , we were cruising yesterday and that mistake just before half time gave them a new found energy we could have lost 3 points
With his height and presence he should be a monster in this league but I find him to flappy and he loses concentration

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Lumley on 12:29 - Sep 15 with 2372 viewsNortholt_Rs

Can we talk about the real elephant in the room? The people who only post about the negatives and can't seem to take any joy in the football we are currently experiencing at KPFS. It is hard to remember any better football being played at W12 in the last 50 years but there are those who only want to point out the faults, and not in a constructive criticism way either. Lumley probably made the least mistakes of any of our players yesterday, one, but he is being held up as the only reason we aren't further up the table. That is a load of testicles. This isn't a a team assembled for £30-50m or more it is a team of kids, freebies, rejects and loanees, next time you want to post about how bad some of them are try to remember that... and don't bother posting it.
Just about everyone thought we would be in a season long relegation scrap and the fact that we are in the upper part of the top half is a testament to ALL the players concerned.

....and the manager. I’ve been hugely surprised as I feared the worst although I backed us for top two! Yesterday was a fabulous day. The Lumley brain fart just added to the whole atmos as the pikeys thought they’d turn the game around but still walked away with nada. Perfect! COYRs!!!!

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Lumley on 12:37 - Sep 15 with 2363 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Lumley on 10:33 - Sep 15 by MrSheen

Ha! You call that fannying around at the back? This is fannying around at the back.

Classic Mr Sheen! - that was real fannying around at the back
I blame the pink kit Rochdale were wearing - for QPR don't miss it one little bit
Lumley on 12:57 - Sep 15 with 2331 viewsEsox_Lucius

Lumley on 12:08 - Sep 15 by paulparker

Got to agree
I find Lumley very overrated if truth be told , I’d play kelly , we were cruising yesterday and that mistake just before half time gave them a new found energy we could have lost 3 points
With his height and presence he should be a monster in this league but I find him to flappy and he loses concentration

You've obviously never paid any attention to Kelly when you've watched him then? Kelly on a good day isn't anywhere near as good as Joe on a bad day. Don't forget, he made less mistakes than any other QPR player yesterday... one!

Login to get fewer ads

Lumley on 13:04 - Sep 15 with 2323 viewsNed_Kennedys

Lumley on 12:57 - Sep 15 by Esox_Lucius

You've obviously never paid any attention to Kelly when you've watched him then? Kelly on a good day isn't anywhere near as good as Joe on a bad day. Don't forget, he made less mistakes than any other QPR player yesterday... one!

So you slag people off for talking negatively about Lumley but Kelly is fair game for you? He's only played a couple of cup games so a bit too early to write him off don't you think?

I think we signed Kelly to compete for the number one position so it makes sense to consider playing him.
Lumley on 13:13 - Sep 15 with 2302 viewsEsox_Lucius

Lumley on 13:04 - Sep 15 by Ned_Kennedys

So you slag people off for talking negatively about Lumley but Kelly is fair game for you? He's only played a couple of cup games so a bit too early to write him off don't you think?

I think we signed Kelly to compete for the number one position so it makes sense to consider playing him.

I wasn't slagging him off, I was pointing out that he is nowhere near as good as Lumley. Kelly is more on a par with Seny Dieng IMO, not a bad keeper but has a lot to do to oust Lumley. Slagging him would have been saying something stupid like Tyla Dickinson would be better in goal. If Joe gets dropped and Kelly comes in and shows us what he is capable of then I'll be right there cheering him on but I don't see it in him yet.

Lumley on 13:27 - Sep 15 with 2276 viewsNed_Kennedys

Lumley on 13:13 - Sep 15 by Esox_Lucius

I wasn't slagging him off, I was pointing out that he is nowhere near as good as Lumley. Kelly is more on a par with Seny Dieng IMO, not a bad keeper but has a lot to do to oust Lumley. Slagging him would have been saying something stupid like Tyla Dickinson would be better in goal. If Joe gets dropped and Kelly comes in and shows us what he is capable of then I'll be right there cheering him on but I don't see it in him yet.

I haven't been hugely impressed with Kelly in the cup games but its very early days for him and having competition for the goalkeeper's position has got to be good for the team. Lumley hopefully feels under pressure for his place this season and raises his game accordingly.
Lumley on 15:21 - Sep 15 with 2152 viewsstainrods_elbow

Lumley on 10:40 - Sep 15 by Northolt_Rs

Kelly hasn’t looked very good when he has played though....so it’s not like we have a real plan B option. Lumley mistake yesterday was catastrophic and may well have cost us the game so it cannot be overlooked by MW. Don’t forget our strikers missed a whole bunch of chances to put the game out of sight - Hugill should have had a hat trick.

By which logic, Hugill could equally be construed as potentially costing us three points! I have mixed feelings about Lumley, because he does have his qualities and I agree he's still developing. But he's not 'very young', he's 24, and has already racked up 100 professional games, albeit at lower levels. The three standout errors he's made this season vs Stoke, Brizzle and this weekend could have been even more costly by the end of play - he's definitely had some luck with that, overall. Saturday's brain fart was an absolute horrorshow, though; to call it even a misplaced pass would be ridiculously kind.

On balance, I'd leave him in for now, but Warburton needs to keep as careful as eye on the goalkeeping situation as I hope he is. We're joint 2nd top scorers in the division (and should easily be top - Hugill is decent, but will still only take one chance in three or four), but have also conceded more than everyone bar Luton (ha ha) and the bottom three! I'd say if we still had Smithies and a decent centre back, we'd be potential playoff material. As it is, a clean sheet at Millwall (and hopefully one or two at the other end) will be a massive tonic for the troops, and a crucial step forward.

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Lumley on 15:49 - Sep 15 with 2099 viewscaliforniahoop

Lumley on 04:25 - Sep 15 by ozexile

I'd stick with him. I think there's a great keeper in there.

I am with you!!
Lumley on 15:54 - Sep 15 with 2089 viewscaliforniahoop

Lumley on 09:17 - Sep 15 by Hunterhoop

I want Lumley to be our keeper for years too. And the mistake yesterday happens now and again. But it’s not the first time in his career with us he has done it. He needs to reduce those errors obviously,

IMO the bigger issue is how he handles crosses. A few times this season he come out flapping and not got there. Today in the second half he was rooted to his line and didn’t come for several crosses in his 6 yard box. Presumably the mistake shook his confidence, but we will concede a lot of goals if he stands on his line whilst opposition sides sling it in there.

I bet when we play practise games, very few crosses come in, hope he has extra sessions coming for crosses, as someone posted above, errors apart, he has been solid, Rangers No1.
Lumley on 16:11 - Sep 15 with 2068 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Lumley on 04:25 - Sep 15 by ozexile

I'd stick with him. I think there's a great keeper in there.

What I’ve seen of his errors, they appear down to lapses in concentration as opposed to being a rubbish keeper.

For your top-top keepers, such tardiness is seen as a surprise when it happens; they can be sat on their butt for 90 minutes and still be on the ball to make a vital save deep into injury time. Smithies was very reliable, whereas you always felt Green had one in him (that said, the latter’s performance in the PO final was undervalued by many).

If I were QPR, I’d be working flat-out on improving his concentration. Get that right and his decision making should improve to compliment the ability he has. That said, a Dundee supporting mate was very complimentary about Dieng so hopefully he’s getting minutes up at Donny.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Lumley on 16:19 - Sep 15 with 2062 viewssmegma

What Ive seen in preseason I think Dillon Barnes is better than Kelly.
Lumley on 17:34 - Sep 15 with 1994 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Lumley on 11:58 - Sep 15 by jonno

Agree although it was a needless and idiotic mistake. But the point is that if he was a great keeper he wouldn't be playing for us would he? My view is that Lumley will never be a great keeper, but he can become better than he is now and that will hopefully happen, starting with eliminating errors such as that one yesterday. But I think we should be celebrating how well the team is playing and the fact that we are currently seventh, one point off second place in the league, when many thought we would be at the other end of the table.

I don't buy this idea that if he was a better player he wouldn't play for us and, to be honest, I find it rather derogatory of QPR. We're not a Sunday league outfit, we're a decent team playing in one the best leagues in the world. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect players of a certain quality with decent levels of concentration.
Lumley on 17:47 - Sep 15 with 1974 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I think that's a tad unfair and a bit of a stretch to say that we haven't witnessed better football in the last 50 years. There are plenty threads celebrating the current form of the team and I, for one, am loving it. However, given the number of clangers Joe has dropped this season, criticism of him is fair and the responsible and professional thing to do is to work out how to eliminate them. That could take many forms like tweaking tactics, extra training, sports psychology or simply dropping Joe to the bench.
Lumley on 18:53 - Sep 15 with 1913 viewsdaveB

I'd stick with him, it was a bad mistake but that is the risk of playing out from the back, I thought we did it brilliantly until that mistake. He did make a good save at the end to ensure we won
Lumley on 20:14 - Sep 15 with 1829 viewsEsox_Lucius

Lumley on 18:53 - Sep 15 by daveB

I'd stick with him, it was a bad mistake but that is the risk of playing out from the back, I thought we did it brilliantly until that mistake. He did make a good save at the end to ensure we won

You only have to look at Man City and Arsenal this weekend to see it isn't just Joe that falls foul of this risky strategy, we were the only ones to get the three points though. He made less mistakes than any other QPR player yesterday and despite making a great save and cleaning up after a BFG mistake there are those who want to hang him out to dry. Hugill made more, and worse mistakes in the last 15 minutes than Lumley did all game and no-one is after him. If we had paid £10m for him I could understand the opprobrium but this is ridiculous.

Lumley on 21:10 - Sep 15 with 1774 viewsNW5Hoop

Did you not see any football in W12 during Warnock's promotion season? Not even going to go back further than that.

We are playing some very nice football. We are also making *a lot* of really bad mistakes, No one is really complaining hard, just talking about them. That's fair enough.
Lumley on 22:57 - Sep 15 with 1668 viewsNed_Kennedys

Lumley on 20:14 - Sep 15 by Esox_Lucius

You only have to look at Man City and Arsenal this weekend to see it isn't just Joe that falls foul of this risky strategy, we were the only ones to get the three points though. He made less mistakes than any other QPR player yesterday and despite making a great save and cleaning up after a BFG mistake there are those who want to hang him out to dry. Hugill made more, and worse mistakes in the last 15 minutes than Lumley did all game and no-one is after him. If we had paid £10m for him I could understand the opprobrium but this is ridiculous.

Here are the current LFW player ratings from those who presumably saw the game yesterday: no idea what you were watching.

Joe Lumley
Todd Kane
Grant Hall
Toni Leistner
Yoann Barbet
Ryan Manning
Eberechi Eze
Dominic Ball
Ilias Chair
Jordan Hugill
Nahki Wells
Marc Pugh
Luke Amos
Jan Mlakar
Lumley on 23:32 - Sep 15 with 1634 viewsstainrods_elbow

Lumley on 18:53 - Sep 15 by daveB

You're missing the point - no one's saying he doesn't make good saves, too. And, as for brain farts like that, it's stretching credulity to the point of lunacy claim this is an inevitable consequence of playing from the back. I don't think anyone in the ground knew what Joe was trying to do (except pass directly to their player) - maybe not even Joe. He's a 24 year old professional footballer playing for QPR, not a pasty kid with the U-11s, and that mistake would have embarrassed a schoolboy. Warburton needs to have a short, sharp word, and keep his 2nd choice keeper warm and ready.

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Lumley on 00:24 - Sep 16 with 1583 viewsconnell10

I like Joe , its his personality on the pitch he just comes across as a player that really cares about the club, sure he will make mistakes but i for one am willing to forgive him , as for Kelly from what ive seen of him id stick with Joe.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Lumley on 01:15 - Sep 16 with 1545 viewsqueensparker

He's had some catastrophic moments, but he's also got two assists this season IMO - the ball to Barbet in the run up to Eze's wonder goal against Stoke (massively risky, but without which the goal wouldn't have happened) and the throw out to Manning against Sheff Wed that won us the game.

His distribution isn't sh*t, it's a work in progress, and it's got us two goals.

I'm in the "give him a break" camp. It can't be easy as a keeper to suddenly be expected to play football with your feet as well as be a proper goalie.

If he was throwing the ball into the net or letting shots in underneath his body a la Rob Green it's a different story, but he isn't.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024