Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football is broken beyond repair 13:02 - Feb 12 with 5085 viewsfranniesTache

Nothing new in here really, and i assume most of us probably agree with it all, but it's a good read non the less.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/champions-league-sup
Football is broken beyond repair on 13:19 - Feb 12 with 3939 viewsPatfromPoole

Cortese now a “Rent-a-Quote” type, I see.

Whatever became of him?

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Football is broken beyond repair on 13:20 - Feb 12 with 3938 viewsPatfromPoole

Realising I have partly answered my own question there......

Football is broken beyond repair on 13:47 - Feb 12 with 3904 viewsDorsetIan

It is a good read. Makes me think: what do football fans really want?

I would say, first we want to see our team win the game we are watching.
Secondly, entertaining football.
Third, it's good to watch the best players in the world playing for opposing teams.
Fourth, winning something more than a single game.

The problem with the premier league is that a team like Southampton has very limited hope of the fourth.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Football is broken beyond repair on 13:48 - Feb 12 with 3903 viewsfranniesTache

Football is broken beyond repair on 13:47 - Feb 12 by DorsetIan

It is a good read. Makes me think: what do football fans really want?

I would say, first we want to see our team win the game we are watching.
Secondly, entertaining football.
Third, it's good to watch the best players in the world playing for opposing teams.
Fourth, winning something more than a single game.

The problem with the premier league is that a team like Southampton has very limited hope of the fourth.

What i want is a European Super League to happen so it takes the plastics, tourists, money and hype out of our league.
Football is broken beyond repair on 13:54 - Feb 12 with 3889 viewsPatfromPoole

Football is broken beyond repair on 13:48 - Feb 12 by franniesTache

What i want is a European Super League to happen so it takes the plastics, tourists, money and hype out of our league.

Not convinced that it will.

People both here and overseas will still want to watch English football, as it is the most watchable football out there. So I think there will still be big TV deals and money slushing around the game, even if United, Liverpool etc aren’t in it.

Football is broken beyond repair on 14:22 - Feb 12 with 3830 viewsDorsetIan

Football is broken beyond repair on 13:48 - Feb 12 by franniesTache

Serious question, wouldn't you miss it if the 'biggest' game of the season was home to Everton or Wolves?

Football is broken beyond repair on 14:32 - Feb 12 with 3809 viewsthis_charming_man

Football is broken beyond repair on 13:19 - Feb 12 by PatfromPoole

Cortese now a “Rent-a-Quote” type, I see.

Whatever became of him?

“I had the money to buy players,” Cortese says. “But not the money to keep players.”

I thought the claim was that all the players that left would have stayed if Cortese had and the ambition left the club the day he went?

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Football is broken beyond repair on 15:31 - Feb 12 with 3755 viewsfranniesTache

Football is broken beyond repair on 14:22 - Feb 12 by DorsetIan

Serious question, wouldn't you miss it if the 'biggest' game of the season was home to Everton or Wolves?

I go to football to watch Saints not the opposition, the "biggest" game to me is the one that means the most, not the one with the most famous players. The game this season that'll be the biggest is the one where we smashed a small provincial league one side 4-0 in their own backyard in a cup many think is irrelevant.

Football is a day out with my mates, a chance to see my family, pride in my city, my heritage and an excuse for a p*ss up and a laugh (and a way to vent and let off steam from the week).

I love Southampton, i love the city, i love it's history, i love my roots, history and heritage. Playing the "big" teams doesn't change that one bit.

So no, no i don't give a f*ck if they f*ck off and take the cancer that is money, tourists, plastics and overseas fans, hype, media and noddy c*nts talking about stats and transfers with them.

In fact i'll celebrate it, because i hate everything they stand for.
Login to get fewer ads

Football is broken beyond repair on 16:40 - Feb 12 with 3699 viewsDorsetIan

Football is broken beyond repair on 15:31 - Feb 12 by franniesTache

I go to football to watch Saints not the opposition, the "biggest" game to me is the one that means the most, not the one with the most famous players. The game this season that'll be the biggest is the one where we smashed a small provincial league one side 4-0 in their own backyard in a cup many think is irrelevant.

Football is a day out with my mates, a chance to see my family, pride in my city, my heritage and an excuse for a p*ss up and a laugh (and a way to vent and let off steam from the week).

I love Southampton, i love the city, i love it's history, i love my roots, history and heritage. Playing the "big" teams doesn't change that one bit.

So no, no i don't give a f*ck if they f*ck off and take the cancer that is money, tourists, plastics and overseas fans, hype, media and noddy c*nts talking about stats and transfers with them.

Fair enough. I was in with 30 Chorley fans (total away contingent) who'd travelled down to Yeovil the other weekend, so I do know what you mean.

I think the Premier League does have its advantages though. Bigger crowds and generally a better standard of football on the pitch. It's also great when those bigger teams get turned over, and I do also like to see the exceptional players on other teams.

It's also a lot easier to get young kids to Premier League games (as my son who was dragged to Yeovil v Chorley will testify).

Football is broken beyond repair on 16:58 - Feb 12 with 3680 viewsJaySaint

Premier League could quite easily bypass BT, SKY and Amazon..

launch their own TV channel, show all the games live, charge everyone around the world around £10 month and would absolutely clean up.

however, that wont happen

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Football is broken beyond repair on 17:08 - Feb 12 with 3662 viewsthis_charming_man

Football is broken beyond repair on 16:40 - Feb 12 by DorsetIan

Fair enough. I was in with 30 Chorley fans (total away contingent) who'd travelled down to Yeovil the other weekend, so I do know what you mean.

I think the Premier League does have its advantages though. Bigger crowds and generally a better standard of football on the pitch. It's also great when those bigger teams get turned over, and I do also like to see the exceptional players on other teams.

It's also a lot easier to get young kids to Premier League games (as my son who was dragged to Yeovil v Chorley will testify).

You live in Dorset but went in the away end at Yeovil v Chorley?

Football is broken beyond repair on 17:50 - Feb 12 with 3626 viewsDorsetIan

Football is broken beyond repair on 17:08 - Feb 12 by this_charming_man

You live in Dorset but went in the away end at Yeovil v Chorley?

Yes, schoolfriend is involved with Chorley. Took the opportunity to go and say hello to him, so we were Chorley fans for the day.

Rock bottom of the National League, but should have won. 88min equaliser by Yeovil following a very harsh second yellow for a Chorley player.

Football is broken beyond repair on 17:58 - Feb 12 with 3621 viewsgrumpy

Whenever I get down I think of that Pompey result.
Football is broken beyond repair on 18:05 - Feb 12 with 3616 viewsericofarabia

Football is broken beyond repair on 17:50 - Feb 12 by DorsetIan

Yes, schoolfriend is involved with Chorley. Took the opportunity to go and say hello to him, so we were Chorley fans for the day.

Rock bottom of the National League, but should have won. 88min equaliser by Yeovil following a very harsh second yellow for a Chorley player.

I'm probably going to Chorley next month to see Eastleigh ... don't suppose there will be many more than 30 away fans there as it is a mid week match.
Football is broken beyond repair on 18:12 - Feb 12 with 3595 viewsthis_charming_man

Fair play, I love a bit of conference football. My local team are on for a double this season, conference and FL Trophy

Football is broken beyond repair on 18:13 - Feb 12 with 3590 viewskingslandstand1

I went to see Oxford vs Newport County a few years ago or so and sat in with the Newport fans (Son-in-law's 2nd team as family are all taffs), and their passion for their team was as great as ours is for Saints

Football was cr@p though and it was a "wet windy night" at the Kassam that ended as a 0-0 draw, but there was a few hundred of them there who then had the drive home to whinge and moan about their team as anybody else does but they had an "away day" to see their team which we all do. Not many plastics follow Newport!!

Not sure about this super league as that will take even more money away from the bread and butter leagues, which the Prem will become as the TV companies will put the majority of their resources in to that league and we will also suffer

But as that article says (haven't read it all), the top 6 and Premier League big wigs couldn't give a sh1t about teams outside of that top 6 despite Leicester and Sheff Utd currently being there
Football is broken beyond repair on 18:15 - Feb 12 with 3589 viewsthis_charming_man

Football is broken beyond repair on 18:05 - Feb 12 by ericofarabia

I'm probably going to Chorley next month to see Eastleigh ... don't suppose there will be many more than 30 away fans there as it is a mid week match.

I went to Harrogate v Eastleigh last season. Eastleigh has about 30 there and it was a right Strange bunch!

Football is broken beyond repair on 18:16 - Feb 12 with 3590 viewsthis_charming_man

Football is broken beyond repair on 18:13 - Feb 12 by kingslandstand1

I went to see Oxford vs Newport County a few years ago or so and sat in with the Newport fans (Son-in-law's 2nd team as family are all taffs), and their passion for their team was as great as ours is for Saints

Football was cr@p though and it was a "wet windy night" at the Kassam that ended as a 0-0 draw, but there was a few hundred of them there who then had the drive home to whinge and moan about their team as anybody else does but they had an "away day" to see their team which we all do. Not many plastics follow Newport!!

Not sure about this super league as that will take even more money away from the bread and butter leagues, which the Prem will become as the TV companies will put the majority of their resources in to that league and we will also suffer

But as that article says (haven't read it all), the top 6 and Premier League big wigs couldn't give a sh1t about teams outside of that top 6 despite Leicester and Sheff Utd currently being there

Your son in law doesn’t post on saintsweb as the 9 by any chance?

Football is broken beyond repair on 18:27 - Feb 12 with 3576 viewskingslandstand1

Football is broken beyond repair on 18:16 - Feb 12 by this_charming_man

Your son in law doesn’t post on saintsweb as the 9 by any chance?

If he does he hasn't told me! If his posts try to wind people up it may well be him so I'll start winding him up. He is a bit of a Social Media freak as well as most are of his age and daughter is always bolokin him with some of the things he says to deliberately wind other teams fans up (Manc and Scouse Surrey plastics for instance) Is there a Newport fan on there then?
Football is broken beyond repair on 18:57 - Feb 12 with 3539 viewsthis_charming_man

Football is broken beyond repair on 18:27 - Feb 12 by kingslandstand1

If he does he hasn't told me! If his posts try to wind people up it may well be him so I'll start winding him up. He is a bit of a Social Media freak as well as most are of his age and daughter is always bolokin him with some of the things he says to deliberately wind other teams fans up (Manc and Scouse Surrey plastics for instance) Is there a Newport fan on there then?

A few of us just happen to know a saints and Newport fan, I didn’t think there could be that many of them around

Football is broken beyond repair on 18:59 - Feb 12 with 3539 viewsdirk_doone

Football is broken beyond repair on 18:13 - Feb 12 by kingslandstand1

People keep going on about 'the top six' but they are different every year. Even Saints were in the top 6 in 2016 and Liverpool and Chelsea weren't. The current top six are Liverpool, Man City, Leicester, Chelsea, Sheffield United & Spurs. The top six in 2016 were Leicester, Arsenal, Spurs, Man City, Man United & Southampton.

Assuming Liverpool will become champions for the first time in 30 years, there will have been 5 different Premier League winners in 8 years. Next season, there will almost certainly be a different top six yet again.

The main reason we are not competing for a top six place this season is that we have particularly unambitious owners. Any club of our size, with ambitious owners, like Leicester, Wolves or Sheffield United, can break into the top six.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Football is broken beyond repair on 20:24 - Feb 12 with 3438 viewskingslandstand1

Football is broken beyond repair on 18:59 - Feb 12 by dirk_doone

People keep going on about 'the top six' but they are different every year. Even Saints were in the top 6 in 2016 and Liverpool and Chelsea weren't. The current top six are Liverpool, Man City, Leicester, Chelsea, Sheffield United & Spurs. The top six in 2016 were Leicester, Arsenal, Spurs, Man City, Man United & Southampton.

Assuming Liverpool will become champions for the first time in 30 years, there will have been 5 different Premier League winners in 8 years. Next season, there will almost certainly be a different top six yet again.

The main reason we are not competing for a top six place this season is that we have particularly unambitious owners. Any club of our size, with ambitious owners, like Leicester, Wolves or Sheffield United, can break into the top six.

Top 6 should probably be referred to as Big 6 as Fleet Street refers to them. One of the reasons they want that is because ambitious and other clubs do actually infiltrate the "top 6" positions meaning they miss out on a few million

I mean how do you think Arsenal feel this season? With this super league they wouldn't need to worry about that depending on how many teams this new league would take. The problem is that these clubs believe they have a God given right to be up there each season
Football is broken beyond repair on 21:01 - Feb 12 with 3412 viewsDorsetIan

Football is broken beyond repair on 20:24 - Feb 12 by kingslandstand1

Top 6 should probably be referred to as Big 6 as Fleet Street refers to them. One of the reasons they want that is because ambitious and other clubs do actually infiltrate the "top 6" positions meaning they miss out on a few million

I mean how do you think Arsenal feel this season? With this super league they wouldn't need to worry about that depending on how many teams this new league would take. The problem is that these clubs believe they have a God given right to be up there each season

Yes, it's more to do with financial clout than where they finish.

If you look at the top 6 English Clubs in the Deloitte Money League...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deloitte_Football_Money_League

...in terms of revenue it goes Man U (E711m), Man C (E610m), Liv (E604m), Spurs (E521m), Chelsea (E513m) and Arsenal (E445m) but then 7th, West Ham, (E216m) is less than half of 6th.

It's that E230m revenue gap which separates those 6 from the rest.

Football is broken beyond repair on 13:37 - Feb 13 with 3255 viewsWalkingRosie

Northam do your job, Northam, Northam do your job

Football is broken beyond repair on 19:00 - Feb 13 with 3150 viewsChopChop

Football is broken beyond repair on 13:37 - Feb 13 by WalkingRosie

Reckon you two should start up a twitter account extolling these virtues...

I'd ruin her... >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Poll: Does Hatchback enjoy having a barney on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024