Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quiz Question 14:27 - Apr 1 with 2295 viewsSaintNick

How many average attendances in a season under the 10,000 mark have Portsmouth had in the last 50 years ?

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Quiz Question on 14:30 - Apr 1 with 1402 views1teeminants

You can only have one average crowd in a season .
[Post edited 1 Apr 2020 14:33]

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Quiz Question on 14:36 - Apr 1 with 1383 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

In the last 50 years

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Quiz Question on 14:38 - Apr 1 with 1388 viewskingslandstand1

More than Saints?
Quiz Question on 14:39 - Apr 1 with 1384 viewskingslandstand1

Quiz Question on 14:36 - Apr 1 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

In the last 50 years

Oh, forgot the only stats that count are pre 1946 (FAC holders the longest)
Quiz Question on 14:46 - Apr 1 with 1370 viewsTimSaint

In the last 50 years

Nick has set the parameters, so don't go moving the goal posts again !!

My estimate would be around 8 to 10 ?

But I'm guessing that all of the Under 10k averages happened in the last 50 years anyway, so does it really matter ?

TimSaint

Quiz Question on 14:48 - Apr 1 with 1356 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Quiz Question on 14:46 - Apr 1 by TimSaint

Nick has set the parameters, so don't go moving the goal posts again !!

My estimate would be around 8 to 10 ?

But I'm guessing that all of the Under 10k averages happened in the last 50 years anyway, so does it really matter ?

Nick has set the parameters

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Quiz Question on 15:01 - Apr 1 with 1350 viewsButty101

Dont forget they used to pack 30k into the old girl, but only declare 10k for tax reasons....

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Quiz Question on 15:05 - Apr 1 with 1347 viewsTimSaint

Quiz Question on 15:01 - Apr 1 by Butty101

Dont forget they used to pack 30k into the old girl, but only declare 10k for tax reasons....

That must have basically been the whole of the 90's then, which is definitely within Nick's 'last 50 years' settings !! :-)

TimSaint

Login to get fewer ads

Quiz Question on 15:30 - Apr 1 with 1324 views1teeminants

I reckon about 7 or 8 . I know they had a few Averages around the 8000 Mark in the 70’s /80’s
[Post edited 1 Apr 2020 15:34]

Quiz Question on 21:36 - Apr 1 with 1230 viewshedgeend61

Quiz Question on 15:30 - Apr 1 by 1teeminants

I reckon about 7 or 8 . I know they had a few Averages around the 8000 Mark in the 70’s /80’s
[Post edited 1 Apr 2020 15:34]

Don't forget the 90's, only one season average of over 12000 (1993 when 3rd)
all in the 2nd tier.
https://www.11v11.com/matches/portsmouth-v-stoke-city-30-november-1994-177324/
5,772 turned out to watch Stoke

1982, 4,889 rocked up for one of the games #FalklandsWar

Not as bad as this one though, 4,688
https://www.11v11.com/matches/portsmouth-v-middlesbrough-16-december-1972-115911
#XmasShopping?
#TheBoycott30years
Quiz Question on 22:01 - Apr 1 with 1216 viewshedgeend61

In the last 50 years

Nick could have said the last 85 years and the result would still be the same.

Little Pompey 8 Saints 0.

Overall, Little Pompey still take Gold.

Nobody alive today would remember Saints having a sub-10000 average.
Quiz Question on 22:08 - Apr 1 with 1204 viewsthis_charming_man

Quiz Question on 22:01 - Apr 1 by hedgeend61

Nick could have said the last 85 years and the result would still be the same.

Little Pompey 8 Saints 0.

Overall, Little Pompey still take Gold.

Nobody alive today would remember Saints having a sub-10000 average.

this is my personal favourite

https://www.11v11.com/matches/portsmouth-v-blackburn-rovers-26-september-2000-16

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Quiz Question on 22:18 - Apr 1 with 1196 viewsdirk_doone

Quiz Question on 22:08 - Apr 1 by this_charming_man

https://www.11v11.com/matches/portsmouth-v-blackburn-rovers-26-september-2000-16

4,021 for a top flight league game v Liverpool on a Saturday afternoon and half of them were probably sailors from the North:

http://pompeyrama.com/pompey-fc-match-3682-25-Feb-1933-Pompey-2-Liverpool-1.html

To be fair, Portsmouth is a smaller city than Southampton, which helps explain why they have fewer fans,
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 7:50]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Quiz Question on 22:42 - Apr 1 with 1173 viewsPatfromPoole

Cracking thread, Nick.

I’ll guess 12.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Quiz Question on 22:49 - Apr 1 with 1161 viewsthis_charming_man

I think it’s 8.

Quiz Question on 22:57 - Apr 1 with 1159 viewsdirk_doone

Little Pompey have averaged less than 10,000 in 8 of the last 50 years and below 20,000 in all but 2 of them.

In spite of all the sailors from around the country, temporarily based there, who boosted their gates in the 1940s, they are, as you'd expect, below Southampton in the all-time attendance table but, to be fair, Portsmouth is smaller than Southampton and its football team has spent a lot more time in the bottom two divisions while Southampton is a bigger city and its team has spent far more seasons in the top flight.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 8:50]

Quiz Question on 23:10 - Apr 1 with 1144 viewsPatfromPoole

It’s not just their home support which is so poor.

Little Pompey also only took 1,288 fans to the away leg of a play-off semi-final. Shameful and utterly embarrassing.

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/2019/may/match-report-for-sunderland-vs-port

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Quiz Question on 23:39 - Apr 1 with 1122 viewsdirk_doone

Little Pompey away for a Premier League game. What are there? About 50 of them.

But, to be fair, about 200 of them turned up for a glamour game at Man City:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fansnetwork.co.uk%2Ffoot
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 0:00]

Quiz Question on 08:18 - Apr 2 with 1019 viewsMytchettSaint

Quiz Question on 22:08 - Apr 1 by this_charming_man

I’m shocked that so few turned up that night to give Kenna and Ostenstad a damn good scumming, what happened to that much talked about pashun???

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Quiz Question on 08:42 - Apr 2 with 1001 views1teeminants

Quiz Question on 22:57 - Apr 1 by dirk_doone

Little Pompey have averaged less than 10,000 in 8 of the last 50 years and below 20,000 in all but 2 of them.

In spite of all the sailors from around the country, temporarily based there, who boosted their gates in the 1940s, they are, as you'd expect, below Southampton in the all-time attendance table but, to be fair, Portsmouth is smaller than Southampton and its football team has spent a lot more time in the bottom two divisions while Southampton is a bigger city and its team has spent far more seasons in the top flight.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 8:50]

So I was bang on then

Quiz Question on 09:11 - Apr 2 with 971 viewsSaintNick

In the last 50 years

I think I said somewhere else but just for clarification, in their entire history Pompey have had only 7 seasons in their history where they have averaged over 30,000, that in a stadium that since the second world war at least held 49,000 for at least half that time and around 30,000 for all but the last 20 years.

We have had the last 7 seasons over 30,000.

I love how Pompey fans base how good a supporter base is solely on how loud a man can ring a bell and get a couple of thousand to join in with him, rather than how the rest of the world base it ie on how many turn up to watch.

When Pompey were averaging 8,000 back in 1997 & 12k in 2013 they were still claiming to be the bestest supporters in the World and saw no irony in this, they think the whole world looks up to them, they have never looked at themselves as others see them.

WE have never claimed to be the best supporters in the World, we know where we stand in the pecking order, Pompey do not.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Quiz Question on 09:21 - Apr 2 with 963 viewsdirk_doone

Quiz Question on 09:11 - Apr 2 by SaintNick

I think I said somewhere else but just for clarification, in their entire history Pompey have had only 7 seasons in their history where they have averaged over 30,000, that in a stadium that since the second world war at least held 49,000 for at least half that time and around 30,000 for all but the last 20 years.

I love how Pompey fans base how good a supporter base is solely on how loud a man can ring a bell and get a couple of thousand to join in with him, rather than how the rest of the world base it ie on how many turn up to watch.

When Pompey were averaging 8,000 back in 1997 & 12k in 2013 they were still claiming to be the bestest supporters in the World and saw no irony in this, they think the whole world looks up to them, they have never looked at themselves as others see them.

WE have never claimed to be the best supporters in the World, we know where we stand in the pecking order, Pompey do not.

This is actually our 12th season in the last 20 years averaging over 30,000. In their history, Little Pompey had a total of 7, the last one being nearly 70 years ago.

Let's be honest, Nick: if it weren't for a certain overseas poster who will be on here later, we wouldn't bother having threads like this. He doesn't do Pompey fans any favours, does he?
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 9:23]

Quiz Question on 09:41 - Apr 2 with 940 viewsthis_charming_man

Quiz Question on 09:11 - Apr 2 by SaintNick

What i find amusing is the excuse that our attendances are manipulated up and some odd police attendance report proves. I remember being at the ground in a crowd of 31000 or so, not an empty seat to be seen, yet the police report said it 26,000 which means that an entire Northam stand would be empty, simply not true. Meanwhile every time Pompey had a small crowd or season of low attendances it was due to a boycott or a dodgy owner falsifying attendances so they could dodge tax. This explains why their attendances are 2.5m lower than ours over the course of our histories,

Quiz Question on 09:56 - Apr 2 with 925 viewsdirk_doone

Quiz Question on 09:41 - Apr 2 by this_charming_man

What i find amusing is the excuse that our attendances are manipulated up and some odd police attendance report proves. I remember being at the ground in a crowd of 31000 or so, not an empty seat to be seen, yet the police report said it 26,000 which means that an entire Northam stand would be empty, simply not true. Meanwhile every time Pompey had a small crowd or season of low attendances it was due to a boycott or a dodgy owner falsifying attendances so they could dodge tax. This explains why their attendances are 2.5m lower than ours over the course of our histories,

Those figures have long since been discredited. The police have got better things to do.

You can imagine what happened: "Here, Bert, we've got some wally here who wants some attendance numbers under the freedom of information act. Can you make something up for him so we can get rid of him?"

Any football club that over-reported the number of tickets sold for their games would be mad as they'd have to pay more tax.

These portsmyths are almost as laughable as the Greater Portsmouth conurbation one. If he lived in this country, he'd be able to drive to Portsmouth from either Fareham or Havant and see that it's surrounded by sea and marshland.

If they ever reclaimed Farlington marshes or built bridges across to Gosport or Hayling Island, they might be able to develop a Greater Portsmouth one day in the future but, with sea levels rising, that seems very unlikely. Instead, the relentless development of any remaining green areas between Southampton and Fareham is going to create an even bigger Southampton conurbation.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 10:19]

Quiz Question on 11:26 - Apr 2 with 867 viewsthissceptredsaint

Thank you this thread has cheered me up
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024