Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Protests Today 19:57 - Jun 6 with 9895 viewsBoris_

Disgusting scenes today in London, scumbags even attacking horses.

But we're all supposed to accept it because they are rioting about an incident in another country 4000 miles away?

Let's see what's on the front pages of the left wing press tomorrow, I bet it won't be pictures of horses coming under attack and a Policeman being knocked off his horse causing the horse to run away in fear?

To think the vast majority of those out protesting today would have had the nerve to be shouting and screaming about Cummings too...

[Post edited 6 Jun 2020 19:58]

Poll: Claude Puel

Protests Today on 09:12 - Jun 8 with 1070 viewsinthebox

Protests Today on 20:48 - Jun 7 by Frank_Steel

Most of my point is that we are responsible for what we do, and a lot of what we don't do. That is true whatever your race. White people aren't special in this or any regard. I hope you'd think so too.

It seems to me you would also agree that victims of crime are not responsible for what people do to them (certainly not always).

What you're saying is that these men, who act with unspeakable cruelty, specifically target their innocent victims because of their race. Apart from the horrors of the violence and subjugation, you're saying this targeting is wrong too.
I agree.

There is no moral quandary in holding both opinions:

Racial targeting of innocent white girls by Muslim men is wrong. Those men believe they are superior to those girls. Very few Muslims think that way. Obviously some do. Their ignorance and actions are violent and backwards.

Racial targeting of innocent men and women of colour by police is wrong. Very few white British vocally support racism, but it seems most people prefer to pretend it doesn't exist. My argument is that this ignorance is violent and backwards too.

It's offensive that you would use such appalling racist treatment and experiences of those young girls to set up a strawman argument in an attempt to sweep white supremacy under the carpet.

Don't get drawn in Frank, Boris is a troll and the rest follow.
Protests Today on 09:51 - Jun 8 with 1012 viewsSadoldgit

Protests Today on 08:19 - Jun 8 by Ron11

'White supremacy'
What, we're all walking around wearing Klu Klux Klan outfits?
The vast majority of people in this country spend each day getting up and going to work to earn money to keep their lives going, put food on the table, have a holiday once a year and pay the bills.
They're not the slightest bit INTERESTED in 'white supremacy', 'black lives matter' or being 'racist'.
But, whether they like it or not, it's rammed down their throats anyway.

“Rammed down their throats” Dear God.

Perhaps it has to be because there are still way too many people who don’t see this as an issue.

If all some of the inhabitants of this planet has to worry about was getting up and putting food on the table I am sure that they would be delighted.

Racism is a sick disease which needs wiping out. That begins with education. There are a few here who could do with some education.
Protests Today on 12:05 - Jun 8 with 977 viewsBoris_

Protests Today on 09:12 - Jun 8 by inthebox

Don't get drawn in Frank, Boris is a troll and the rest follow.

Not sure if this is aimed at me or my namesake?

Just to clarify, I am certainly not trolling by saying that anyone who carries out unprovoked attacks on animals or the police and/or defaces war memorials is a scumbag, regardless of the colour of their skin.

Protests Today on 12:39 - Jun 8 with 961 viewsarfurdent

whilst I will lose no sleep over a slavers statue being pulled down there ought to be some consistency and other statues related to abominable acts should also be pulled down. So how about:

- Lord Nelson - warmongering
- Florence Nightingale - aiding and abetting the Crimeria War
- Peter Pan - kidnapping children
- King Alfred - burning cakes
- Angel of the North - because we can

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Protests Today on 12:47 - Jun 8 with 929 viewsSadoldgit

Protests Today on 12:39 - Jun 8 by arfurdent

whilst I will lose no sleep over a slavers statue being pulled down there ought to be some consistency and other statues related to abominable acts should also be pulled down. So how about:

- Lord Nelson - warmongering
- Florence Nightingale - aiding and abetting the Crimeria War
- Peter Pan - kidnapping children
- King Alfred - burning cakes
- Angel of the North - because we can

They are going to need a very long rope for Nelson!
Protests Today on 14:02 - Jun 8 with 911 viewsDorsetIan

It's funny how no one talked about 'criminal damage' when we were cheering the toppling of Saddam statutes in Iraq or when, before that, all those statues of Lenin and Marx were removed in Eastern Europe.

A statue of a f*ckin slave trader in the middle of an English city!! It might seem like a mindless act of vandalism to pull it down but my understanding is that they've been talking about removing it for years and yet still it stood there. I wonder who the people were who were arguing that it should stay and why their view counted more than those wanting it down?

We are deeply conservative nation, resistant to change, and protective of any old cultural heritage no matter the historical consequences.

Sometimes it takes a moment and movement like this for the right thing to be done at long last.

I can't see anyone arguing that it should be dredged up and put back in place.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Protests Today on 14:28 - Jun 8 with 895 viewsJaySaint

Protests Today on 14:02 - Jun 8 by DorsetIan

It's funny how no one talked about 'criminal damage' when we were cheering the toppling of Saddam statutes in Iraq or when, before that, all those statues of Lenin and Marx were removed in Eastern Europe.

A statue of a f*ckin slave trader in the middle of an English city!! It might seem like a mindless act of vandalism to pull it down but my understanding is that they've been talking about removing it for years and yet still it stood there. I wonder who the people were who were arguing that it should stay and why their view counted more than those wanting it down?

We are deeply conservative nation, resistant to change, and protective of any old cultural heritage no matter the historical consequences.

Sometimes it takes a moment and movement like this for the right thing to be done at long last.

I can't see anyone arguing that it should be dredged up and put back in place.

do you not think we are slightly more civilised than Iraq or communist states?

We have a society where 'things' are done by democracy. I know you don't like that given you keep backing the losing side, but that is how we roll

in a recent vote in the local bristolian rag, 54% of people want to keep the statue.

Where would you say the un-lawful destruction stops?

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Protests Today on 14:41 - Jun 8 with 871 viewsSadoldgit

Starmer got it right. Statues are there to commemorate great deeds/people. Slavery is a stain on our history. The statue should have been removed properly a long time ago and put in a museum along with some text explaining that this man was partly responsible for the transportation of over 80,000 Africans to slavery in America (including women and children) of whom over 19,000 died in transit.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2020 16:08]
Login to get fewer ads

Protests Today on 15:00 - Jun 8 with 877 viewsDorsetIan

Protests Today on 14:28 - Jun 8 by JaySaint

We have a society where 'things' are done by democracy. I know you don't like that given you keep backing the losing side, but that is how we roll

in a recent vote in the local bristolian rag, 54% of people want to keep the statue.

Do you think it's 'civilised' to leave in place a statue to a slave trader? Again, should it be recovered and put back up?

Un-lawful destruction should not be the norm, so it's about where it should start rather than where it should stop.

Pulling down this statue is fine.

Protests Today on 15:17 - Jun 8 with 870 viewsJaySaint

Protests Today on 15:00 - Jun 8 by DorsetIan

Do you think it's 'civilised' to leave in place a statue to a slave trader? Again, should it be recovered and put back up?

Un-lawful destruction should not be the norm, so it's about where it should start rather than where it should stop.

Pulling down this statue is fine.

What if another group, say pompey fans, tore down the ted bates statue?

Protests Today on 15:21 - Jun 8 with 868 viewsinthebox

Protests Today on 14:41 - Jun 8 by Sadoldgit

Starmer got it right. Statues are there to commemorate great deeds/people. Slavery is a stain on our history. The statue should have been removed properly a long time ago and put in a museum along with some text explaining that this man was partly responsible for the transportation of over 80,000 Africans to slavery in America (including women and children) of whom over 19,000 died in transit.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2020 16:08]

The trouble is Bristol is run by a group of businessmen, their history goes back to the slave trade, they call themselves the 'savages' they own most of the land around the harbour
Protests Today on 15:25 - Jun 8 with 860 viewsHeisenberg

Protests Today on 14:28 - Jun 8 by JaySaint

Do you have a link to that poll in the local paper?

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Protests Today on 15:28 - Jun 8 with 857 viewsDorsetIan

Protests Today on 15:17 - Jun 8 by JaySaint

What if another group, say pompey fans, tore down the ted bates statue?

They should be prosecuted for criminal damage. Obviously.

Ted Bates wasn't a slaver trader responsible for the death of thousands of kidnapped human beings.

Protests Today on 15:28 - Jun 8 with 858 viewsJaySaint

Protests Today on 15:21 - Jun 8 by inthebox

The trouble is Bristol is run by a group of businessmen, their history goes back to the slave trade, they call themselves the 'savages' they own most of the land around the harbour

the council could have removed that statue any time over the last 100+ years

they do not need anyone else to tell them to do it

Protests Today on 15:30 - Jun 8 with 855 viewsHeisenberg

Protests Today on 15:28 - Jun 8 by JaySaint

the council could have removed that statue any time over the last 100+ years

they do not need anyone else to tell them to do it

Do you have a link to the recent poll ?

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'

Protests Today on 15:35 - Jun 8 with 845 viewsJaySaint

Protests Today on 15:30 - Jun 8 by Heisenberg

Do you have a link to the recent poll ?

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/vandals-paint-face-edward-colsto

Protests Today on 15:38 - Jun 8 with 839 viewsHeisenberg

Protests Today on 15:35 - Jun 8 by JaySaint

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/vandals-paint-face-edward-colsto

Thanks. It was 6 years ago. I think you will find most Bristolians agree it should have been removed now. The council didn’t act. A museum was called for where it could have placed in not on display in the centre of the city.

Protests Today on 15:43 - Jun 8 with 831 viewsJaySaint

Protests Today on 15:38 - Jun 8 by Heisenberg

Thanks. It was 6 years ago. I think you will find most Bristolians agree it should have been removed now. The council didn’t act. A museum was called for where it could have placed in not on display in the centre of the city.

6 years ago, which is a fair point. Unsure the frequency of polls about statues.
Maybe the result would have been the same? Maybe it would not. The council could have brought it down at anytime, so a bit rich to hear the mayor moaning about the government for it being pulled down!

Protests Today on 16:31 - Jun 8 with 804 viewsDorsetIan

Protests Today on 15:43 - Jun 8 by JaySaint

6 years ago, which is a fair point. Unsure the frequency of polls about statues.
Maybe the result would have been the same? Maybe it would not. The council could have brought it down at anytime, so a bit rich to hear the mayor moaning about the government for it being pulled down!

I'm not sure that it's true that it could have been taken down at any time.

It was Grade II listed. I can imagine that the process would be very involved, including the possibility of an appeal to a central govt department. Unlikely to be a particularly 'democratic' process with decisions made by planning committee heads or govt ministers. Likely that the status quo would have been upheld.

Protests Today on 17:41 - Jun 8 with 774 viewskingslandstand1

Protests Today on 15:43 - Jun 8 by JaySaint

There are still plenty of calls now to have Colston Hall renamed and have been ongoing for a few years now
I think that will happen soon and although I totally disagree with the manner in which the statue was removed (total vandalism that is a criminal offence), I think it is right that it is removed. As has been said, it should be placed in a museum as a record of the city's not so glorious past but as they say, different times back then
Protests Today on 18:20 - Jun 8 with 754 views1885_SFC

Protests Today on 17:41 - Jun 8 by kingslandstand1

There are still plenty of calls now to have Colston Hall renamed and have been ongoing for a few years now
I think that will happen soon and although I totally disagree with the manner in which the statue was removed (total vandalism that is a criminal offence), I think it is right that it is removed. As has been said, it should be placed in a museum as a record of the city's not so glorious past but as they say, different times back then

A bit like my enamel golly badge collection from Robertson's golden shred from when I was a kid. Worth a fortune some of them! Funnily enough - the one that's worth the most isn't even a golly.

Old School is Cool

Protests Today on 18:28 - Jun 8 with 744 viewsDorsetIan

Protests Today on 18:20 - Jun 8 by 1885_SFC

A bit like my enamel golly badge collection from Robertson's golden shred from when I was a kid. Worth a fortune some of them! Funnily enough - the one that's worth the most isn't even a golly.

My grandma used to collect those for me. As well as the enamal badges, I remember some porcelain figures too - a football team and a band come to mind.

Protests Today on 18:29 - Jun 8 with 743 viewsBoris_

Also noticed that a large number, perhaps even a majority of those causing trouble at the BLM march were actually the bitter, Brexit and Tory hating, anti-English posh white boys.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZ5tIRiWkAE-8uu?format=png&name=small

Is there anything that those scumbags won't politicise to have a pop at the government?
[Post edited 8 Jun 2020 18:30]

Protests Today on 18:37 - Jun 8 with 733 views1885_SFC

Protests Today on 18:28 - Jun 8 by DorsetIan

My grandma used to collect those for me. As well as the enamal badges, I remember some porcelain figures too - a football team and a band come to mind.

I still see a lot of golly-related items on my travels around auctions & fairs - including the musical band. eBay banned the selling of golly badges a few years ago but there are still many of them on there for sale. No one puts the word 'golly' anymore in their listings - just 'Robertsons' in order to evade the eBay police removing the listing.

Old School is Cool

Protests Today on 18:52 - Jun 8 with 721 viewsDorsetIan

Protests Today on 18:37 - Jun 8 by 1885_SFC

I still see a lot of golly-related items on my travels around auctions & fairs - including the musical band. eBay banned the selling of golly badges a few years ago but there are still many of them on there for sale. No one puts the word 'golly' anymore in their listings - just 'Robertsons' in order to evade the eBay police removing the listing.

There are worse things. Local acquaintance has a pewter relief of Hitler's face in his sitting room. Claims he just likes it is an object...mmm...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024