Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pubs Set To Re open 09:45 - Jun 8 with 3161 viewsSaintNick

Apparently 22nd June for pubs with beer gardens and outdoor spaces

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Pubs Set To Re open on 11:05 - Jun 9 with 826 viewsSaintNick

Pubs Set To Re open on 10:54 - Jun 9 by Boris_

You keep saying part-time staff Nick. Pubs are open 12 hours a day at least. It doesn't matter whether the hours are made up of part-time or full-time, they need to staff it for 12 hours.

Most pubs will have been given a £25,000 grant. The very small pubs ( Tudor Rose etc ) will have got a £10,000 grant. Generally the smaller pubs aren't going to have an outdoor area of any decent size.

The pubs run by landlord/landlady and a couple of helpers don't exist with more than a very few exceptions ( Tudor Rose is the only one I can think of in Romsey and possibly Star Inn but neither have decent outdoor areas ).
[Post edited 9 Jun 2020 10:56]

I do keep saying it, but go into most of the pubs in Totton during the day and you will find either landlord/owner and at the most one bar staff.

In the evening Monday to Thursday most just have one member of staff on, so how much does that cost ? £10 -11 an hour if that.

You keep telling me that these pubs don't exist, perhaps not in City Centres where they are mainly chain pubs , but increasingly outside of the centres it is smaller independently owned bars that are flourishing, take a walk down Shirley high street.

Pubs Set To Re open on 11:13 - Jun 9 with 817 viewsBoris_

Pubs Set To Re open on 11:05 - Jun 9 by SaintNick

I do keep saying it, but go into most of the pubs in Totton during the day and you will find either landlord/owner and at the most one bar staff.

In the evening Monday to Thursday most just have one member of staff on, so how much does that cost ? £10 -11 an hour if that.

You keep telling me that these pubs don't exist, perhaps not in City Centres where they are mainly chain pubs , but increasingly outside of the centres it is smaller independently owned bars that are flourishing, take a walk down Shirley high street.

We live in different worlds mush. I don't know a single pub in Romsey or surrounding areas with the exception of the Tudor that has only 1 person working Monday - Thursday.

How are you supposed to police social distancing ( which will be a rule of opening ) , clean and sanitise tables, toilets etc ( which will be a rule of opening ) , serve drinks to people outside in the beer garden in a timely manner, seat people and then cook and serve food ( which is how the vast majority of pubs earn their money, especially brewery pubs ) with 1 person?!

Poll: Claude Puel

Pubs Set To Re open on 11:32 - Jun 9 with 795 viewsSaintNick

Pubs Set To Re open on 11:13 - Jun 9 by Boris_

We live in different worlds mush. I don't know a single pub in Romsey or surrounding areas with the exception of the Tudor that has only 1 person working Monday - Thursday.

How are you supposed to police social distancing ( which will be a rule of opening ) , clean and sanitise tables, toilets etc ( which will be a rule of opening ) , serve drinks to people outside in the beer garden in a timely manner, seat people and then cook and serve food ( which is how the vast majority of pubs earn their money, especially brewery pubs ) with 1 person?!

I havent been in a pub in Romsey in years, but they seem to be the same old pubs that have always been there a lot of them food based .

In in Totton there are not many chain pubs, the Old Farmhouse and Testwood are and had more staff on, but the rest were more pubs than restaurants so could cope throughout the day with minimal staff.

When I popped into the Salmon Leap on a Monday night sometimes there was always one bar staff, it was all that was needed.

The newest bar is the 6 barrels and aside from weekend evenings they only needed one bar maid and she could handle 10-15 people in there comfortably.

You seem to frequent the big chain or as you say brewery food pubs like the Luzborough around Romsey.

You are right perhaps more staff will be needed to police social distancing, but the pubs im talking about being reopened will be able to deal with it, you seem to think that it will be all about food and table service, but they wont all be like that

Pubs Set To Re open on 18:52 - Jun 9 with 738 viewskentsouthampton

I have a beer hawk draught beer machine and more barrels of draught Belgian beer than you can shake a stick at, who needs pubs.

[Post edited 9 Jun 2020 18:56]
Pubs Set To Re open on 19:06 - Jun 9 with 715 viewsdirk_doone

Pubs Set To Re open on 18:52 - Jun 9 by kentsouthampton

I have a beer hawk draught beer machine and more barrels of draught Belgian beer than you can shake a stick at, who needs pubs.

What does the price per litre work out to on those barrels of Leffe?
[Post edited 9 Jun 2020 19:35]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Pubs Set To Re open on 20:30 - Jun 9 with 663 viewsBoris_

Pubs Set To Re open on 18:52 - Jun 9 by kentsouthampton

I was looking at them. I have a Blade which has Moretti, Heineken and Tiger as the main beers. Works out at £2 a pint.

I also have a kegerator which can take normal pub 50l kegs but until the pubs open again, I'm struggling to find where to get them.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2020 20:30]

Pubs Set To Re open on 20:40 - Jun 9 with 649 viewsBoris_

Pubs Set To Re open on 11:32 - Jun 9 by SaintNick

I havent been in a pub in Romsey in years, but they seem to be the same old pubs that have always been there a lot of them food based .

In in Totton there are not many chain pubs, the Old Farmhouse and Testwood are and had more staff on, but the rest were more pubs than restaurants so could cope throughout the day with minimal staff.

When I popped into the Salmon Leap on a Monday night sometimes there was always one bar staff, it was all that was needed.

The newest bar is the 6 barrels and aside from weekend evenings they only needed one bar maid and she could handle 10-15 people in there comfortably.

You seem to frequent the big chain or as you say brewery food pubs like the Luzborough around Romsey.

You are right perhaps more staff will be needed to police social distancing, but the pubs im talking about being reopened will be able to deal with it, you seem to think that it will be all about food and table service, but they wont all be like that

Most pubs are food based now to be honest, it's the only way you can make a profit.

I've had a look at 2 pubs in Romsey over the last couple of years about leasing them as has always been a bucket list to own a pub but the numbers just don't add up unless you do a decent food trade.

My inner and extended friendship group are all pub goers and all feel the same... unless we're able to leave the wives and girlfriends at home and meet at the pub together, what's the point?

Pubs Set To Re open on 20:42 - Jun 9 with 648 viewshedgeend61

Pubs Set To Re open on 09:49 - Jun 8 by Heisenberg

That's the issue. How do you get served and the toilets will have to be monitored. All it will take is one pissed up punter to start messing about and it could all kick off.

Slightly off track, the toilets at the River Hamble Country Park opened last week, not monitored and probably used more often than any pub.

Wouldn't have thought Pubs won't have enough staff to do it anyway.
Login to get fewer ads

Pubs Set To Re open on 20:53 - Jun 9 with 634 views1ASIN12

Pubs, with or without beer gardens are not going to be allowed to open until July 4th at the earliest.

We have a couple of pubs / bars in Gospot that have been selling take-aways and people have been drinking them on the public grounds outside that has caused some local residents to complain.
Pubs Set To Re open on 21:32 - Jun 9 with 616 viewskentsouthampton

Pubs Set To Re open on 20:30 - Jun 9 by Boris_

I was looking at them. I have a Blade which has Moretti, Heineken and Tiger as the main beers. Works out at £2 a pint.

I also have a kegerator which can take normal pub 50l kegs but until the pubs open again, I'm struggling to find where to get them.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2020 20:30]

The beer hawk one is made by Phillips it chills the beer to 4 degrees, pours a very good draught pint, the sheer amount of beer available for it is what makes it for me.
Pubs Set To Re open on 21:38 - Jun 9 with 608 viewskentsouthampton

Pubs Set To Re open on 19:06 - Jun 9 by dirk_doone

What does the price per litre work out to on those barrels of Leffe?
[Post edited 9 Jun 2020 19:35]

Leffe blonde works out £5.80 a litre
Leffe La Legere comes in at £5.60 a litre
Rituel is pricey at £8 a litre but at that strength it's not a session beer.
Pubs Set To Re open on 21:49 - Jun 9 with 602 viewskernow

Sweet, suffering Jayzus !
Ffs open the pubs!
I'm turning in to and out to be an alcoholic!
Pubs Set To Re open on 21:49 - Jun 9 with 602 viewssaintwizzler

Heineken £2 a pint through The Blade.
£1.12 a pint from cans from Morrisons (£13 a case)
Pubs really rip us off. £4.80/£5 a pint.
Pub trade is dying due to greedy breweries.
Fûck em.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Pubs Set To Re open on 23:52 - Jun 9 with 570 viewsPatfromPoole

Pubs Set To Re open on 21:49 - Jun 9 by saintwizzler

Heineken £2 a pint through The Blade.
£1.12 a pint from cans from Morrisons (£13 a case)
Pubs really rip us off. £4.80/£5 a pint.
Pub trade is dying due to greedy breweries.
Fûck em.

To be honest Wiz, I think it’s mainly down to the (relatively) significant increases in the minimum wage over the last few years. It’s had a massive impact on the cost base of the hospitality industry.

The bigger chains like Wetherspoon can more easily absorb it and keep prices low to customers, making it really hard for the smaller pubs to compete as they have had to increase prices by a bigger relative amount.

I’m not arguing against the minimum wage increases, they have however made it much more difficult for smaller businesses over the last few years.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Pubs Set To Re open on 08:40 - Jun 10 with 521 viewsSaintNick

Pubs Set To Re open on 23:52 - Jun 9 by PatfromPoole

To be honest Wiz, I think it’s mainly down to the (relatively) significant increases in the minimum wage over the last few years. It’s had a massive impact on the cost base of the hospitality industry.

The bigger chains like Wetherspoon can more easily absorb it and keep prices low to customers, making it really hard for the smaller pubs to compete as they have had to increase prices by a bigger relative amount.

I’m not arguing against the minimum wage increases, they have however made it much more difficult for smaller businesses over the last few years.

This is why the pub trade is changing, in Southampton at least it is moving away from big chain or brewery pubs apart from the city centre and moving towards smaller free house type bars, where the overheads are low and the emphasis is on alcohol and not food.

The big pubs charge high prices because the owners are greedy, the free houses can buy in much cheaper as they are not tied, so although the retail prices are not much different from the big pubs, there is more profit in the margin and so therefore they can make a living with less beer sold.

Weatherspoons keep their prices low by buying in bulk especially beer that is approaching a sell by date

Pubs Set To Re open on 08:43 - Jun 10 with 521 viewsBoris_

Pubs Set To Re open on 23:52 - Jun 9 by PatfromPoole

Another reason is companies like Enterprise etc which own a huge amount of the pubs in the UK and lease them out to people, insisting the alcohol is purchased from them at huge mark-ups.

The only way for a pub to make any money on drink nowadays is if you're freehold and own your premises. The cost of a pint wholesale is between £1 and £2... the breweries chuck a £1 on that for themselves which leaves landlords with very little money for themselves.

That's why so many pubs turn to food.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2020 8:43]

Pubs Set To Re open on 08:51 - Jun 10 with 514 viewsSaintNick

Pubs Set To Re open on 08:43 - Jun 10 by Boris_

Another reason is companies like Enterprise etc which own a huge amount of the pubs in the UK and lease them out to people, insisting the alcohol is purchased from them at huge mark-ups.

The only way for a pub to make any money on drink nowadays is if you're freehold and own your premises. The cost of a pint wholesale is between £1 and £2... the breweries chuck a £1 on that for themselves which leaves landlords with very little money for themselves.

That's why so many pubs turn to food.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2020 8:43]

That is basically what I said, if you are a landlord/manager for companies like Enterprise you struggle to make a profit on drink as you are tied to them and have to go for food.

For many years there was a monopoly in that it was premises that were regulated but now it is more individuals due to changes in the licensing laws, in the past numbers were restricted but you can now open a bar almost anywhere hence all these small bars popping up in what where once shops.

As you say beer can be brought wholesale for as little as £1 a pint

Pubs Set To Re open on 14:50 - Jun 10 with 472 viewsPatfromPoole

Seems people will have to wait rather longer.....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11828243/pub-beer-gardens-wont-open-before-july-4-

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024