Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London 07:18 - Jun 12 with 7670 viewsPatfromPoole

Could be lively this weekend.

Looks like a few football lads will he going up to defend Churchill’s statue with more BLM protests planned.

Should be a sunny weekend, this may not end well at all.....

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

London on 14:46 - Jun 12 with 1621 viewsSadoldgit

London on 13:13 - Jun 12 by solent_toffee

Taking down Fawlty Towers is an attack on Sybil liberties.

😂😂😂😂
London on 17:13 - Jun 12 with 1526 views1885_SFC

London on 12:17 - Jun 12 by PatfromPoole

I see that BLM have now cancelled their Hyde Park protests.....

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-06-12/black-lives-matter-protest-called-off-over-f

Good. I have no doubt that Churchill's statue & the Cenotaph would have been vandalised by idiots who are nothing to do with the BLM movement.

I'm sure Captain Tom would approve.

Old School is Cool

London on 10:24 - Jun 13 with 1391 viewsdirk_doone

I feel sorry for the police. They will be facing constant provocation. People are going to be abusing them, spitting at them, throwing rocks and bottles at them and then thrusting mobile phone cameras in their faces to see if they can get a reaction .

The heavy rain prevented last weekend from turning into a full-blown riot, so only 27 police were injured, but a hot, sunny day will be a different matter. Let's hope it isn't a repeat of August 2011 when rioters took over the streets of London for a whole weekend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_England_riots

Police recruitment is going to be a very big problem in future. Who would want to do their job nowadays?

[Post edited 13 Jun 2020 11:06]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

London on 11:46 - Jun 13 with 1308 viewsSadoldgit

This isn’t new Dirk, it’s been going on forever. The police job has always been a thankless task. They are not all saints though!
London on 12:41 - Jun 13 with 1296 viewsdirk_doone

London on 11:46 - Jun 13 by Sadoldgit

This isn’t new Dirk, it’s been going on forever. The police job has always been a thankless task. They are not all saints though!

I know. Obviously, the calibre of job applicants they get is badly affected by their situation and it is a job which is always going to attract more than its fair share of aggressive types.

They would love to be able to police black areas with black policemen only but if they do that, they'll be accused of racism so they can't win.

London on 12:49 - Jun 13 with 1272 viewsChesham_Saint

London on 11:39 - Jun 12 by Sadoldgit

I think that you are right that some people are getting involved to further their own agendas, which is a huge shame because it is taking the focus off of what we should be talking about. I don’t think we can make assumptions about their motives without hard proof though. You label them as loony left. How do you know that there aren’t some right wing agitators getting involved to try and discredit the BLM movement? We have seen it happening in America. Or some people might just get involved because they like violence or just like to disrupt peaceful demonstrations. I am not saying that all legitimate protestors are as pure as the driven snow, but it is dangerous to make assumptions about other people’s motives.

Sorry Sad, that sounds a bit like the Liverpool fans at Heysel who claimed all the fighting was really down to Chelsea fans and the BNP. I just don’t buy it.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

London on 12:52 - Jun 13 with 1268 viewsChesham_Saint

London on 12:41 - Jun 13 by dirk_doone

I know. Obviously, the calibre of job applicants they get is badly affected by their situation and it is a job which is always going to attract more than its fair share of aggressive types.

They would love to be able to police black areas with black policemen only but if they do that, they'll be accused of racism so they can't win.

Isn’t the corollary of that only white police for ‘white areas’? That would be outrageous.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

London on 13:12 - Jun 13 with 1247 viewsdirk_doone

London on 12:52 - Jun 13 by Chesham_Saint

Isn’t the corollary of that only white police for ‘white areas’? That would be outrageous.

Not really, as there is no issue with perceived racism in those areas or we would be seeing mass White Lives Matter demonstrations. The police are desperately keen to recruit as many people as they can from minority groups because they find they are better accepted by their minority communities.

Login to get fewer ads

London on 13:15 - Jun 13 with 1244 viewskingolaf

Are the Judean People's Front going to be there?
London on 14:56 - Jun 13 with 1183 viewsRon11

London on 08:35 - Jun 12 by saint22

Sounds like fascist propaganda to me

Squeak squeak, I hear a rat.
London on 15:34 - Jun 13 with 1150 viewsRon11

London on 11:47 - Jun 12 by thissceptredsaint

This post doesn't make sense is it a p#ss take?

I don't really regard anarchy as particularly left wing. I mean if you regard Stalin as left wing (which some people don't you may be surprised to hear) then he was the furthest you could get from an anarchist. Well at least from 1918 onwards. Dictators come in all flavours

I love libraries. You find books there and learn things

Where did I mention Stalin?
So, next time you visit a library, can you find out where anarchy lies in the political spectrum and let me know, as you obviously regard yourself as intellectually superior.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2020 16:10]
London on 16:04 - Jun 13 with 1114 viewsSadoldgit

London on 12:49 - Jun 13 by Chesham_Saint

Sorry Sad, that sounds a bit like the Liverpool fans at Heysel who claimed all the fighting was really down to Chelsea fans and the BNP. I just don’t buy it.

Maybe, but there are some people trying to discredit the legitimate protestors. Did you see the fake leaflets that were called for death to white people under the BLM logo?
London on 16:10 - Jun 13 with 1111 viewsSadoldgit

London on 11:08 - Jun 12 by JaySaint

many are hijacking the BLM movement for their own ends.
Probably the same far-left lunatics that can't accept a Troy Govt (probably not even a Starmer govt). Can't accept Brexit and can't accept they are not getting their own way.

horrible

It is horrible. Violence is never the answer whichever direction it comes from. Also if people are trying to discredit the BLM movement then I would ask them why? Surely any normal decent person wants to see an equal, fair society for all? It has been quite depressing seeing some people arguing that there is no discrimination. You have to wonder what planet some folks live on!
London on 16:54 - Jun 13 with 1091 viewsDorsetIan

London on 10:29 - Jun 12 by solent_toffee

Totally agree.

I listened to five live a few days ago and there was a guest on who wanted to see all statues, street names etc relating to Queen Victoria taken down and changed. This was along with a whole host of tv programmes and films, that it became clear when being challenged by a counter argument guest, that she’d never heard of until a few hours beforehand, but was now completely outraged and offended by. It’s become an unbelievably dangerous parody.

I lived and worked in Warrington for years. For reasons that escape me the town is linked to Oliver Cromwell and there are lots of street names and statues named after him. I was raised a Catholic so on paper/history, Cromwell could have been seen as someone who could Catholic’s could take offence by, but it would be madness to even think about taking the statue etc. It’s history, it happened, we are where we are and thats that, learn from it and move forward. Airbrushing history is a very dangerous precedent.

Isn’t the question, do you as a Catholic still feel discriminated against in this country? i imagine that there are parts of Northern Ireland and Glasgow that people would not be so sanguine about a Cromwell statue.

And the issue isn‘t really about the statues, it’s about the attitude of this country towards its role in the slave trade. This is seen by many who do feel discrimination today as a cultural blind spot and simply not taken seriously enough and, Imo once what slavery involved is understood, I just can’t see any justification for leaving statues of those involved in place. It’s like leaving up statues of those involved in the Holocaust - the idea would be preposterous and pretty sick.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

London on 17:30 - Jun 13 with 1048 viewsRon11

British involvement in slavery ended in 1833 - that's 187 years ago.
Why were'n't those whining on here about statues now whining about it one year ago? Or ten years ago? Because it hadn't even crossed their minds.
History is good and bad, but that's just what it is - history.
London on 17:52 - Jun 13 with 1023 viewskentsouthampton

People being furious about police being attacked now attacking police.
Pathetic.
London on 18:01 - Jun 13 with 1011 viewsBicester_North

London on 16:10 - Jun 13 by Sadoldgit

It is horrible. Violence is never the answer whichever direction it comes from. Also if people are trying to discredit the BLM movement then I would ask them why? Surely any normal decent person wants to see an equal, fair society for all? It has been quite depressing seeing some people arguing that there is no discrimination. You have to wonder what planet some folks live on!

What BLM want includes defunding and even abolition of the police, and banning tasers, all stop and search etc A lot of it is far too extreme for the UK.

It’s not just about peace and equality.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

London on 18:02 - Jun 13 with 1009 viewsBicester_North

London on 17:52 - Jun 13 by kentsouthampton

Pathetic.

Yep, c*nts on both extreme sides

London on 18:15 - Jun 13 with 985 viewsKennington

Those ‘football’ hooligans are a strange bunch. They say they’ve gone to protect Churchill’s statue, yet use racist language and are exactly the type of far right types that Churchill led he country against. Yet they clearly don’t see the irony of this situation.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

London on 18:18 - Jun 13 with 980 viewsSaintsforeverj

London on 17:52 - Jun 13 by kentsouthampton

Pathetic.

Yep this is the danger of the extreme left and the extreme right. They are both angry, dangerous groups of people on opposite sides, who end up doing the same violent things. Problem with protests too is that things escalate and get worse rather than initiate change.

So the initial protest was about black lives. Will it change attitudes of the far right? Will it change the views of ignorant people set in their ways? I doubt it, so what's the point? In fact, the protests are making the far right and ignorant people even more racist than they were before.

Far better to sign a petition for a particular change, a law or write to MP. But even laws don't change what someone is really thinking in their head. Just loads of people shouting, arguing, pulling down statues and attacking police won't change sod all. Just a waste of police resources, spread of the virus, waste of our money. The far left are stupid, the far right are stupid. They are all stupid.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2020 18:26]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

London on 18:28 - Jun 13 with 963 views1885_SFC

I can see why the government want everyone back at work & things to return to some sort of normality. The economy needs to get going again certainly - but more importantly, I can see a whole Summer of civil unrest in this country if we're not careful. People are bored with nothing to do & time on their hands. This will lead to demos and civil unrest on a large scale. No wonder we're being encouraged to go shopping again!

Old School is Cool

London on 18:30 - Jun 13 with 955 viewsBicester_North

London on 18:28 - Jun 13 by 1885_SFC

I can see why the government want everyone back at work & things to return to some sort of normality. The economy needs to get going again certainly - but more importantly, I can see a whole Summer of civil unrest in this country if we're not careful. People are bored with nothing to do & time on their hands. This will lead to demos and civil unrest on a large scale. No wonder we're being encouraged to go shopping again!

Exactly right

London on 18:38 - Jun 13 with 944 views1885_SFC

London on 18:30 - Jun 13 by Bicester_North

Exactly right

And it won't just be London either. I can see unrest in several large cities & towns.

Old School is Cool

London on 18:43 - Jun 13 with 936 viewsBicester_North

London on 18:38 - Jun 13 by 1885_SFC

And it won't just be London either. I can see unrest in several large cities & towns.

A lot will be either still furloughed or layed off all over summer. Perfect storm

London on 18:56 - Jun 13 with 921 viewsSadoldgit

You have to hand it to the far right thugs. Anything the left can do, they can do better. Urinating next to the memorial to PC Palmer was a quality touch.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024