Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No crowds at games 08:19 - Sep 22 with 5461 viewsPatfromPoole

Inevitable I guess....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/plans-bring-back-live-sport-22721367

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

No crowds at games on 08:49 - Sep 22 with 2668 viewsSalisburySaint

I wonder if they'll continue to allow fans to lower level non -league games

I watched first game since March at Salisbury on Saturday

There were no issues at all, everyone well spaced out on terraces with a crowd of 524 (maximum allowed 600). Everything was well organised with one way system for moving around the ground, and added bonus of letting you take beer into ground throughout the game

i'm off to watch them in FA cup Kidlington tomorrow

Hope they let this continue as if not clubs at lower non league level will die
No crowds at games on 09:00 - Sep 22 with 2651 viewsSadoldgit

It’s a tricky one but they have to be seen to be doing something as they are determined not to have another total lockdown it seems.

Not sure about the logic of closing places at 10pm mind. The virus doesn’t magically appear then does it? Not sure about the difference table service instead of going to the bar will make either when the problem is having people in confined spaces.

In yet another u-turn, having been told a few weeks ago to go back to work, Gove is now saying work from home again. Yes, it is a difficult situation to manage, but employ some joined up thinking and park this constant reactive mindset.

There has to be a balance between taking sensible safety precautions and allowing life to carry on as relatively normal as possible in the circumstances and this is something they have been struggling with from the beginning. Given the projected figures and the speed with which this virus escalates, its hard to see another lockdown not being avoided in the next month or so. Still, at least there is no longer an argument about a second wave.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2020 10:14]
No crowds at games on 12:01 - Sep 22 with 2549 viewsDorsetIan

I am completely fed up with all of it now.

I am not quite sure how we got to the stage where the numbers were rising quickly before the schools and universities returned, but there we are.

It felt OK in the summer when for months the numbers were staying pretty low - so what's happened?

Everyone donning masks from 24 July doesn't seem to have helped much.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

No crowds at games on 12:23 - Sep 22 with 2533 viewsfranniesTache

No crowds at games on 12:01 - Sep 22 by DorsetIan

I am completely fed up with all of it now.

I am not quite sure how we got to the stage where the numbers were rising quickly before the schools and universities returned, but there we are.

It felt OK in the summer when for months the numbers were staying pretty low - so what's happened?

Everyone donning masks from 24 July doesn't seem to have helped much.

What happened was we rushed people back to work too early and opened the pubs too early.
No crowds at games on 12:25 - Sep 22 with 2527 viewsJaySaint

No crowds at games on 12:23 - Sep 22 by franniesTache

What happened was we rushed people back to work too early and opened the pubs too early.

Throw in entertaining mass protests

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

No crowds at games on 12:30 - Sep 22 with 2520 viewsfranniesTache

can't have helped can they? Feels like there's been an anti mask or blm every weekend the last few weeks
No crowds at games on 12:53 - Sep 22 with 2509 viewssaintwizzler

No crowds at games on 08:49 - Sep 22 by SalisburySaint

I wonder if they'll continue to allow fans to lower level non -league games

I watched first game since March at Salisbury on Saturday

There were no issues at all, everyone well spaced out on terraces with a crowd of 524 (maximum allowed 600). Everything was well organised with one way system for moving around the ground, and added bonus of letting you take beer into ground throughout the game

i'm off to watch them in FA cup Kidlington tomorrow

Hope they let this continue as if not clubs at lower non league level will die

Nice ground Kidlington.
Just up the road from me.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

No crowds at games on 13:14 - Sep 22 with 2477 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

This. Plus all the holiday helmets, who probably haven't quarantined coming back.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Login to get fewer ads

No crowds at games on 13:41 - Sep 22 with 2440 viewsDorsetIan

It feels like that but the pubs reopened on 4 July and all through the summer the covid numbers seemed pretty level.

Likewise George Floyd died on 25 May and the biggest protests were not long after.

Just in terms of the timings, it feels more likely that it was the people returning from holiday in mid to late August...

...but it would just be really good to have some proper statistics on it all and someone identifying which things did have an impact and which didn't have an impact. So we can change our behaviours accordingly.

By now they should have some pretty detailed data on all this and we are supposed to be living in an age when the data scientists are king. It still feels to me as though there is an awful lot of guesswork and 'suck it and see' involved, and I'm not quite sure why.

No crowds at games on 13:54 - Sep 22 with 2430 viewsSadoldgit

No crowds at games on 13:41 - Sep 22 by DorsetIan

It feels like that but the pubs reopened on 4 July and all through the summer the covid numbers seemed pretty level.

Likewise George Floyd died on 25 May and the biggest protests were not long after.

Just in terms of the timings, it feels more likely that it was the people returning from holiday in mid to late August...

...but it would just be really good to have some proper statistics on it all and someone identifying which things did have an impact and which didn't have an impact. So we can change our behaviours accordingly.

By now they should have some pretty detailed data on all this and we are supposed to be living in an age when the data scientists are king. It still feels to me as though there is an awful lot of guesswork and 'suck it and see' involved, and I'm not quite sure why.

Nail on head. There has been enough time to evaluate the spreading effects of the virus both here and abroad and you would expect a strategy to have been devised for dealing with it through autumn and winter. At the moment we just have a series of diktats every few days following the latest briefings from the experts. Businesses, schools, the entertainment industry, every one of us needs to know what is ahead so that we can prepare our lives and get in with things. Badgering people back to work and kids back to school one minute and then throwing in a u-turn the next minute isn’t doing anyone any favours, least of all the economy.

I still can’t understand why the government haven’t put a select committee of cross party representatives and “experts” together to deal with this situation and to come up with a long term plan. Whatever Cummings skill set is, one thing he has proved that he isn’t good at is directing the government during a pandemic.
No crowds at games on 14:04 - Sep 22 with 2423 viewsSaintsforeverj

No crowds at games on 13:54 - Sep 22 by Sadoldgit

Nail on head. There has been enough time to evaluate the spreading effects of the virus both here and abroad and you would expect a strategy to have been devised for dealing with it through autumn and winter. At the moment we just have a series of diktats every few days following the latest briefings from the experts. Businesses, schools, the entertainment industry, every one of us needs to know what is ahead so that we can prepare our lives and get in with things. Badgering people back to work and kids back to school one minute and then throwing in a u-turn the next minute isn’t doing anyone any favours, least of all the economy.

I still can’t understand why the government haven’t put a select committee of cross party representatives and “experts” together to deal with this situation and to come up with a long term plan. Whatever Cummings skill set is, one thing he has proved that he isn’t good at is directing the government during a pandemic.

The plan is, suck it up, grin and bear it until the expected vaccine arrives. The scientist said yesterday it will be arriving soon. We need to all take responsibility, take it at face value, save lives and just accept a few months of no parties, get togethers, living it up etc. It is not the end of the world to have a temporary stall to normal life. Hopefully the vaccine works and we are back to normal by next summer. Let's just get on with it.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2020 14:05]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

No crowds at games on 14:23 - Sep 22 with 2394 viewsJaySaint

most of us want the government to do something...that the least amount of impact to each of us.

I do not see an issue going to the pub (outside). Some think you are effectively murdering others doing that, but going to a protest is fine as that is 'important'

shutting pubs at 10pm as a measure is nothing.

Personally, we have all been conditioned to wear masks, wash hands etc. Should just let us get on with it

No crowds at games on 14:31 - Sep 22 with 2388 viewsSadoldgit

I wouldn’t hold you breath about the imminent arrival of a vaccine, unless that are going to cut corners.

Jay, if you are fine with people going to pubs, why do you have a problem with people going on protest marches or to the beach? As for just getting in with it, you have seen the projected mortality rates if we don’t take further action now? Mind you, you were convinced that there would be no second wave so I guess we have nothing to worry about.
No crowds at games on 14:37 - Sep 22 with 2382 viewsJaySaint

No crowds at games on 14:31 - Sep 22 by Sadoldgit

I wouldn’t hold you breath about the imminent arrival of a vaccine, unless that are going to cut corners.

Jay, if you are fine with people going to pubs, why do you have a problem with people going on protest marches or to the beach? As for just getting in with it, you have seen the projected mortality rates if we don’t take further action now? Mind you, you were convinced that there would be no second wave so I guess we have nothing to worry about.

You make a good point. Any why the government are on a hiding to nothing, no matter what they do.

a vaccine is a daft idea. There is a flu vaccine, yet I seem to get it every year, regardless

I think the destruction to the economy will mean the medicine is worse than the venom. Lets see if we get 50k cases a day in 2 weeks time

No crowds at games on 14:43 - Sep 22 with 2370 viewsSaintsforeverj

I can't see a problem with pubs and restaurants being open, if social distancing is enforced. That is pretty much safe. This supports the economy and is safe too. People crowding together for a protest, on the beach, a party, at a football ground are not socially distanced and is therefore more risky.

No crowds at games on 14:51 - Sep 22 with 2358 viewsDorsetIan

No crowds at games on 14:43 - Sep 22 by Saintsforeverj

I can't see a problem with pubs and restaurants being open, if social distancing is enforced. That is pretty much safe. This supports the economy and is safe too. People crowding together for a protest, on the beach, a party, at a football ground are not socially distanced and is therefore more risky.

But outdoor seems to be OK. So maybe a protest or the beach isn't a problem. It certainly didn't seem to be early in the summer, as the numbers didn't go up. And maybe an outdoor stadium like St Mary's is also low risk.

I want more information and less speculation.

I wash my hands, try to keep my mouth shut when in shops etc, try not to touch my face, keep away from people as best I can, put a mask on in public places, but otherwise I go about my business as normal. I want to know whether this is enough or whether I doing anything wrong.

No crowds at games on 14:53 - Sep 22 with 2355 viewsSadoldgit

No crowds at games on 14:37 - Sep 22 by JaySaint

You make a good point. Any why the government are on a hiding to nothing, no matter what they do.

a vaccine is a daft idea. There is a flu vaccine, yet I seem to get it every year, regardless

I think the destruction to the economy will mean the medicine is worse than the venom. Lets see if we get 50k cases a day in 2 weeks time

Hopefully we won’t because the new measures will kick in by then. I’d rather they worked on the principle that it is better to be safe than sorry.

As for social distancing in the pub, early research showed the airborn virus from coughs and sneezes can travel up to 8 metres. Also we are socially distancing in supermarkets and shops but have to wear masks yet you can spend all day in a pub surrounded by people without masks. I don’t want to see my local close down again, but can’t see the logic that it is safer than any other public gathering.
No crowds at games on 14:54 - Sep 22 with 2354 viewssolent_toffee

No crowds at games on 13:14 - Sep 22 by Gennaro_Contaldo

This. Plus all the holiday helmets, who probably haven't quarantined coming back.

Defo this, there’s a fella I know (and can’t stand) who came back from Spain last weekend. Went on a pub crawl around town on Saturday afternoon, thankfully a few bars who knew him and knew he’d been away wouldn’t let him in.

Seems fairly standard.
No crowds at games on 15:00 - Sep 22 with 2352 viewsSaintsforeverj

No crowds at games on 14:51 - Sep 22 by DorsetIan

But outdoor seems to be OK. So maybe a protest or the beach isn't a problem. It certainly didn't seem to be early in the summer, as the numbers didn't go up. And maybe an outdoor stadium like St Mary's is also low risk.

I want more information and less speculation.

I wash my hands, try to keep my mouth shut when in shops etc, try not to touch my face, keep away from people as best I can, put a mask on in public places, but otherwise I go about my business as normal. I want to know whether this is enough or whether I doing anything wrong.

Nobody knows as an exact science, how the virus spreads. But people staying away from each other, is almost guaranteed to stop the spread. If you don't come into contact with anyone, you won't get it. People crowding on a beach, it maybe outside, but people might bump into each other etc etc. At St Mary's, people cuddle during a goal, bump into others, spit and shout etc. It's a risk.

Same with a protest. A few people might get it, whereas they wouldn't if it didn't happen. Holidays have certainly not helped. If everybody just took responsibility, like you are from what you say, don't join big crowds etc, in theory the virus shouldn't spread. As for people going on the beach and it not spreading, we don't know.

Some people were interviewed from Birmingham, on Bournemouth beach. We don't know if they might or might not have set off a chain when they returned to Birmingham. We do know, th at if nobody goes to the beach, the virus can't possibly spread. Imo, we are talking six months of a bit "hardship". Having travelled through the slums of India, I wouldn't call it hardship but some might. Let's just get on with it, hope the vaccine works and back yo normal by next summer.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2020 15:01]

No crowds at games on 15:01 - Sep 22 with 2346 viewsJaySaint

No crowds at games on 14:53 - Sep 22 by Sadoldgit

Hopefully we won’t because the new measures will kick in by then. I’d rather they worked on the principle that it is better to be safe than sorry.

As for social distancing in the pub, early research showed the airborn virus from coughs and sneezes can travel up to 8 metres. Also we are socially distancing in supermarkets and shops but have to wear masks yet you can spend all day in a pub surrounded by people without masks. I don’t want to see my local close down again, but can’t see the logic that it is safer than any other public gathering.

safe than sorry?

this is not dangerous to 99.97% of the population. We should implement measures to protect the sick and elderly, whilst the significant majority of others can get on with normal and save the economy.

No crowds at games on 15:05 - Sep 22 with 2335 viewsSaintsforeverj

No crowds at games on 14:53 - Sep 22 by Sadoldgit

Pubs and restaurants arn't risk free, but closing these in particular, would bring devastation to the economy and other health damage to those losing their jobs and businesses. It is one of th risks worth taking. If people are distanced and are sensible, it shouldn't be a problem.

No crowds at games on 15:08 - Sep 22 with 2326 viewsSaintsforeverj

No crowds at games on 15:01 - Sep 22 by JaySaint

safe than sorry?

this is not dangerous to 99.97% of the population. We should implement measures to protect the sick and elderly, whilst the significant majority of others can get on with normal and save the economy.

Conspiracies aside, I think we just have to accept that there is a danger that we should take seriously, otherwise the whole world wouldn't purposely destroy their own economies without good reason. There is no logic to that.

No crowds at games on 20:54 - Sep 22 with 2242 viewsBoris_

You won't see crowds back in football stadiums this season now.

Thankfully I have not paid for my season tickets yet so I'll be winging in an email asking for my refund now as there is literally no point in the club having holding on to the cash.

Poll: Claude Puel

No crowds at games on 21:03 - Sep 22 with 2233 viewsSadoldgit

No crowds at games on 15:01 - Sep 22 by JaySaint

safe than sorry?

Where do you get the 99.97% from?
No crowds at games on 21:52 - Sep 22 with 2402 viewsDorsetIan

Yes, what an amazing 'twist' for to a post about 'no crowds at games' to segue into a wider discussion of new Covid policies.

A wide range of interesting comments on this thread and all perfectly civilised and friendly.

But you really just can't help yourself can you. The urge in you to post this same post must be truly overwhelming.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024