Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ralph interview 22:23 - Nov 6 with 1838 viewsBicester_North

Lack of the crowd suits us. Got to be said we’re miles better without. Interesting stuff.

As much as it’s shit the fans aren’t there to see this result he’s got a point.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Ralph interview on 08:56 - Nov 7 with 1683 viewsTripleNiemi

Do you know i was actually thinking about our recent results and the fanbase towards the end of the game last night. Whilst i think it has been hugely beneficial to our results (with no supporters being at games dripping), this for me undeniably backs up claims by Nick et al on getting behind the team regardless of who owns the club, who is on the board, what players we have lost, how much money is being spent or not. When the fans return we need to wholeheartedly get behind the team for the 90 minutes and then do all the booing, slating, negative stuff once the final whistle is blown. Whilst i dont think it would have us benefitting to the points we are now, i do think it easily would mean a couple of extra league positions each season.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Ralph interview on 09:30 - Nov 7 with 1657 viewsTheWestStand

I think the home results since lockdown last season totally confirm the negative impact of the St Mary’s crowd on the team.
Sad indictment actually and fans must take a hard look at themselves
Ralph interview on 09:33 - Nov 7 with 1642 viewsKennington

Ralph interview on 09:30 - Nov 7 by TheWestStand

I think the home results since lockdown last season totally confirm the negative impact of the St Mary’s crowd on the team.
Sad indictment actually and fans must take a hard look at themselves

Or perhaps the current results show fans have no influence on results at all? We are there to enjoy and let off steam. Any perceived benefits of crowds on results is hugely exaggerated.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Ralph interview on 19:19 - Nov 7 with 1538 viewsThermosNBlanket

Why did we lose first 2 home games then...can’t blame crowd

Lifes a marathon not a sprint

Ralph interview on 19:53 - Nov 7 with 1509 viewsgreen

He’s a good coach and without the crowd noise he can tell the players what to do all over the pitch.
Ralph interview on 20:38 - Nov 7 with 1473 viewsBicester_North

If it comes from Ralph himself he must believe it, maybe the players as well. We all say the crowd at the Dell gave us the edge. St Mary’s a lot more hit and miss, I can see what he means where they don’t feel any pressure without certain elements moaning and groaning whenever a pass goes astray.

Ralph interview on 07:26 - Nov 8 with 1371 viewskernow

Saints' crowds have always been reactive and responsive when they like what they see. The players in turn respond to that.
There have been times when the crowd have lifted the team but they have also, at times, had a negative effect on individual players and the team as a whole.
Personally I get extremely annoyed at fans who abuse Saints players during matches and have had many heated exchanges on a couple of occasions to the point of fisticuffs with some so called fans.
What help is foul mouthed abuse to a struggling player?
Ralph interview on 10:19 - Nov 8 with 1310 viewsSaintNick

Ralph interview on 07:26 - Nov 8 by kernow

Saints' crowds have always been reactive and responsive when they like what they see. The players in turn respond to that.
There have been times when the crowd have lifted the team but they have also, at times, had a negative effect on individual players and the team as a whole.
Personally I get extremely annoyed at fans who abuse Saints players during matches and have had many heated exchanges on a couple of occasions to the point of fisticuffs with some so called fans.
What help is foul mouthed abuse to a struggling player?

Everyone on this thread has made some valid points, although I would say if anyone thinks that crowds don't affect players then they have never been to a football match, this is not the theatre it is football.

Like Kernow I have been concerned about the tendency for some supporters to think that verbally abusing a player is a form of support, this is not a new thing, it's been going on for years, even when we finished sixth Pelle got dogs abuse and Mane wasn't completely free of criticism until the last half a dozen games or so.

We seem to have always had a tendency to take a dislike to certain players and abuse them whilst others seem to to have a status way beyond their ability.

Everyone has a right to an opinion, places like this or the pub are where to express them, when you go to the game you should get behind the team and everyone playing in it, even if it is just the occasional "come on Saints"

When I'm at the game every Saints player gets my backing and I want them to do well, whatever my personal view on their abilities

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Login to get fewer ads

Ralph interview on 11:07 - Nov 8 with 1272 viewsericofarabia

Ralph definitely has a point! I have to plead guilty to shouting at my computer screen to get the ball forward faster and stop passing it back to the halfway line 🙄
I changed my view when I was halfway through typing a bit of a rant about it, when we scored a fantastic goal at the end of something like 30 odd passes build up 😂. But for sure that goal would never have happened in front of 30000 dickheads like me 🧐
Ralph interview on 13:29 - Nov 8 with 1229 viewsChesham_Saint

Ralph interview on 11:07 - Nov 8 by ericofarabia

Ralph definitely has a point! I have to plead guilty to shouting at my computer screen to get the ball forward faster and stop passing it back to the halfway line 🙄
I changed my view when I was halfway through typing a bit of a rant about it, when we scored a fantastic goal at the end of something like 30 odd passes build up 😂. But for sure that goal would never have happened in front of 30000 dickheads like me 🧐

Don't forget we have been pre-conditioned by the likes of Puel with his incessant sideways passing back and forth across the back four.

Also if you have a look at other teams' fan sites and you'll see they generally moan about the same things,: lack of atmosphere, negative atmosphere, need for a quality centre forward/defensive midfielder/creative midfielder/centre back.

In short, and at the risk of sounding like that Liverpool dirge, We are not alone.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Ralph interview on 15:56 - Nov 9 with 1145 viewsPoirot

Its part and parcel of football and not just at stmarys, our home form has been so bad over recent years its got under the skin of many fans.
Ralph interview on 04:22 - Nov 10 with 1056 viewsScoot

Blaming the fans? Its taken time for the players to get to grips with Ralph's philosophy thats all. If it was the fans then west ham would be doing what we're doing because I'm dammed sure their fans get on their backs more than we do.
I agree with Ralph some of the pressure is off but let's not take that point to far. Don't forget our turnaround started after Xmas when fans were still going. Having no fans their hasn't done Burnley, Sheffield United, Newcastle United or Manchester United any favours.
Soon as we have a run of defeats people will be saying its because there's no fans there.
Its the same for all the clubs.

Poll: Should NJ go?

Ralph interview on 09:33 - Nov 10 with 983 viewsSonicBoom

I think it's just the modern game so I don't know why Nick always has a go at Saints fans for it.
Nick you've been to pretty much every ground in the country and you know as well as I do that the higher the expectation the more demanding the fans are.
Look at Arsenal. That place is terrible in terms of support and as someone else mentioned West Ham are well know for turning on players. Even the fabled Newcastle fans who are supposed to be football mad - you always hear that they are great to play in front of if they love you but can be very harsh if not.

As for your favourite subject of Mane and Pelle....
They are the product of the modern day football. I honestly can't find much sympathy for them. BITD when footballers earned 2 or 3 times the average wage I believe fans had more patience. These days players arrive at the club for millions, they have every possible need catered for and they are paid more in one season that most of us get in a hundred years.
What it all means is that fans expect them to deliver. Pelle in particular was abject, yes yes I know it's harsh but if you want the fame and the big bucks then you have to deal with the pressure and expectation. In his first games he was shite, he was jumping under the ball and looked terrible. Were the crowd on his back from the first whistle, no, they just got frustrated because he was crap. He improved of course and then the crowd gave him all the love he could want.
Even more so with Mane. He was on strike at his last club and was very much a player more concerned with himself than the team. Again you see a guy on more money than your average lottery winner seemingly unable to do the basics and fans get p'ed off.
I'd still say those players generally weren't not boo'ed but it was more like groans of frustration. The days of blind support I think are gone and I think it's down to the perceived distance between players and fans.
Witness when they get off the coach, there are fans to greet them but most of them don't even deign to take off their headphones, or lower their hoods such is their disregard.
And yes of course it's not right and of course the player would do better with unconditional support but those days are gone. I'd still say however that crowds are generally supportive if they feel a player is young or putting in huge effort. Che Adams comes to mind.
Ralph interview on 16:19 - Nov 12 with 916 viewsBerber

Ralph interview on 08:56 - Nov 7 by TripleNiemi

Do you know i was actually thinking about our recent results and the fanbase towards the end of the game last night. Whilst i think it has been hugely beneficial to our results (with no supporters being at games dripping), this for me undeniably backs up claims by Nick et al on getting behind the team regardless of who owns the club, who is on the board, what players we have lost, how much money is being spent or not. When the fans return we need to wholeheartedly get behind the team for the 90 minutes and then do all the booing, slating, negative stuff once the final whistle is blown. Whilst i dont think it would have us benefitting to the points we are now, i do think it easily would mean a couple of extra league positions each season.

Given some of the **ite that has been served up over the past two years (and even more before that), I think the fans have been incredibly tolerant. At the debacle against Leicester, sure there was a little booing in the first half, and why not? (I didn't by the way). The team were gutless and clueless. Instead of making their feelings known verbally, a lot of fans left throughout the game. There actually wasn't much at all to cheer the team on at that game. Support is like respect, it has to be earned. Every game is an opportunity for the team to show that they deserve the fans, not the other way around, especially how many fans are season card holders, so have committed up front to the club and the team.

The ongoing weaknesses of some players, McCartney taking far too long to decide how to distribute, Redmond failing to deliver again and again, the frequent waste of throw in advantage that we all know is coming, is bound to get some noises of disapproval, and which are almost non existent. The volume and quantity of positive, supportive noise game after game should not be seen as any kind of pressure for professional footballers.

I think that there has been a lack of character and leadership generally in evidence, which thankfully seems to be slowly eradicated.

Anyhow, I am enjoying the moment and will be more than happy with any top half position after 38 games.
Ralph interview on 17:29 - Nov 12 with 889 viewsBicester_North

Ralph interview on 16:19 - Nov 12 by Berber

Given some of the **ite that has been served up over the past two years (and even more before that), I think the fans have been incredibly tolerant. At the debacle against Leicester, sure there was a little booing in the first half, and why not? (I didn't by the way). The team were gutless and clueless. Instead of making their feelings known verbally, a lot of fans left throughout the game. There actually wasn't much at all to cheer the team on at that game. Support is like respect, it has to be earned. Every game is an opportunity for the team to show that they deserve the fans, not the other way around, especially how many fans are season card holders, so have committed up front to the club and the team.

The ongoing weaknesses of some players, McCartney taking far too long to decide how to distribute, Redmond failing to deliver again and again, the frequent waste of throw in advantage that we all know is coming, is bound to get some noises of disapproval, and which are almost non existent. The volume and quantity of positive, supportive noise game after game should not be seen as any kind of pressure for professional footballers.

I think that there has been a lack of character and leadership generally in evidence, which thankfully seems to be slowly eradicated.

Anyhow, I am enjoying the moment and will be more than happy with any top half position after 38 games.

I agree before Ralph we watched 2+ years with a lot of crap, but since he got here it’s obvious he has been doing his best to transform the team and the club, most decent fans could see that, only a few bellends were slagging him off or saying he was clueless.

But it is harder to get behind the team now in this era of greed and rip off culture the premier league has brought.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024