Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
3rd January Who Went To These Games 11:04 - Jan 3 with 716 viewsSaintNick

1981 Saints 3 Chelsea 1 FA Cup at the Dell

1987 Saints 1 Man Utd 1

1988 Saints 0 Pompey 2

1998 Derby 2 Saints 0 FA Cup

2011 Dagenham & Redbridge 1 Saints 3 League One

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

3rd January Who Went To These Games on 11:15 - Jan 3 with 700 viewsericofarabia

Just the 1st. Can't remember anything about the game but expect that there was fun and games down Hill Lane and around the station as was the norm back then when Chelsea came to town!
3rd January Who Went To These Games on 11:38 - Jan 3 with 683 viewsericofarabia

Any reason you missed out perhaps the most important last minute equaliser in the Club's history when Wee Hughie Fisher snatched the goal that kept us in The Cup against Villa at The Dell in 76?
3rd January Who Went To These Games on 11:39 - Jan 3 with 682 viewsgrumpy

3rd January Who Went To These Games on 11:15 - Jan 3 by ericofarabia

Just the 1st. Can't remember anything about the game but expect that there was fun and games down Hill Lane and around the station as was the norm back then when Chelsea came to town!

I remember that game, at the height of the Skinhead era. Never seen so many Skinheads, mostly Chelsea.I remember seeing Chelsea running towards town and I have never seen so many bald heads jogging down a road.
3rd January Who Went To These Games on 11:45 - Jan 3 with 677 viewsChesham_Saint

3rd January Who Went To These Games on 11:39 - Jan 3 by grumpy

I remember that game, at the height of the Skinhead era. Never seen so many Skinheads, mostly Chelsea.I remember seeing Chelsea running towards town and I have never seen so many bald heads jogging down a road.

It was like chucking out time at a Telly Savalas convention.

They brought a lot down as I recall, but they didn’t necessarily have it all their own way...

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

3rd January Who Went To These Games on 12:25 - Jan 3 with 660 viewsericofarabia

3rd January Who Went To These Games on 11:39 - Jan 3 by grumpy

I would have to say the height of the, for me, classic skinhead look of Doc Marten Laced Up Bovver Boots, Faded Jeans, Ben Sherman Buttoned Down Collar short sleeved shirts, Levi Jean Jacket and Bracers was the late 60s earlt 70s. The 80s were more NF wannabes in Green Harringtons. But I know what you mean though!
3rd January Who Went To These Games on 12:33 - Jan 3 with 653 viewsgrumpy

3rd January Who Went To These Games on 12:25 - Jan 3 by ericofarabia

I would have to say the height of the, for me, classic skinhead look of Doc Marten Laced Up Bovver Boots, Faded Jeans, Ben Sherman Buttoned Down Collar short sleeved shirts, Levi Jean Jacket and Bracers was the late 60s earlt 70s. The 80s were more NF wannabes in Green Harringtons. But I know what you mean though!

I went to the game with a friend who wore his black leather biker jacket, after the game Chelsea came round to the Milton Road End which we were departing from, needless to say they were not too impressed
3rd January Who Went To These Games on 12:42 - Jan 3 with 643 viewsWints76

Went to all except the 1981 game, as didn't make my debut till the following year.

Remember the United game as they had someone sent off after a minute (O'brian?) and Holmes scored a blinder I think.

The skates game was just awful. Seem to remember we battered them but missed loads of easy chances, Clarke and Wallace in particular. Steve Baker was given abuse for the rest of his Saints career. Probably harshly.

The Derby game was a non event and a pretty meek surrender.

Dagenham was a decent day out in their social club. We were cruising to victory, they pulled one back and then somehow didn't equalise from a free kick and we went down the other end and finished them off.
3rd January Who Went To These Games on 14:47 - Jan 3 with 584 views1teeminants

I went to all those games except Derby away .

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Login to get fewer ads

3rd January Who Went To These Games on 17:44 - Jan 3 with 492 viewsNumber_58

Was at all pf them except Dagenham. As others have said, the Chelsea match was pretty hairy, which is ironic since Chelsea brought thousands of skinheads. The 1988 Pompey match was a very dark day. We were terrible and looked totally disinterested. At the time I thought Chris Nicholl should've been sacked after that performance. We went to Old Trafford the following Saturday and won 2-0. Summed up Nicholl's reign.
3rd January Who Went To These Games on 17:48 - Jan 3 with 489 views1teeminants

The league one Away day’s were great. I Loved visiting the new grounds , only missed a few aways that season. UTFS

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

3rd January Who Went To These Games on 08:17 - Jan 4 with 403 viewsSalisburySaint

yes did them all

went in Dagenham social club after the game, was just like attending Salisbury game, really friendly and beer prices cheap, one of the bonuses of our league one days
3rd January Who Went To These Games on 09:37 - Jan 4 with 372 viewsSaintNick

3rd January Who Went To These Games on 11:38 - Jan 3 by ericofarabia

Any reason you missed out perhaps the most important last minute equaliser in the Club's history when Wee Hughie Fisher snatched the goal that kept us in The Cup against Villa at The Dell in 76?

The main reason was I started looking at the date after 1980

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

3rd January Who Went To These Games on 12:27 - Jan 4 with 321 viewsTimSaint

Chelsea - No

Man Utd - Yes, thought we would win easily after their early red card and Nick Holmes scoring a couple of mins after.

Pompey - Unfortunately yes - awful game for us, but we had the last laugh as they were relegated in their then, one and only season in the top flight in my life time !! They loved the win so much they named a fanzine after that date I believe, sad, but I guess that win meant more to them than their top flight status.

Derby - Yes - don't remember much about the game - a bit like many of the other times I have visited both the Baseball and Pride Park, all with little success. The worst being the 6-2 defeat and the play off pens.

Dagenham - No - in hindsight I am disappointed not to have gone to this one and tick it off the list. We will probably never get the chance to go their again as they have dropped down a couple of leagues since we played them. Was potentially going to see Hartley Wintney (my cousin's local team) play them in the FA Cup, but covid rules changed and fans weren't allowed to travel.

TimSaint

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024