Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is Brexit 15:29 - Jan 21 with 25925 viewsinthebox

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/21/britons-buying-from-eu-websites
This is Brexit on 16:29 - Jun 21 with 1184 viewsDorsetIan

This is Brexit on 16:10 - Jun 21 by Ron11

Britain has scorned them after years of receiving nothing but their contempt.

Ron, it's ridiculous. The EU didn't treat us with contempt and neither did other European people.

The problem was that we couldn't handle the idea that we had to stand as equals with these countries. That they didn't treat us as special.

But it's OK now because we can convince ourselves we're special and look down on everyone else again. It's one of the things we do well.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

This is Brexit on 17:21 - Jun 21 with 1155 viewsRon11

This is Brexit on 16:29 - Jun 21 by DorsetIan

Ron, it's ridiculous. The EU didn't treat us with contempt and neither did other European people.

The problem was that we couldn't handle the idea that we had to stand as equals with these countries. That they didn't treat us as special.

But it's OK now because we can convince ourselves we're special and look down on everyone else again. It's one of the things we do well.

So the French constantly turning a blind eye to so called refugees (who had paid thousands to get there) leaving their channel ports to illegally land in England (despite a ten million agreement and deal to stop this) is not treating us with contempt?
We also were one of the biggest contributors to the EU budget, and they also so kindly allowed us to pay in the biggest amount to NATO compared to their input, and still sniggered behind our backs.
Which makes your comment that we couldn't handle the idea that we had to stand as equals with these countries as a nonsense when we were already contributing more than most of them to both the the EU budget AND NATO making us more than their equals, which of course they were more than happy to allow especially when the UK actually didn't even complain about it - which flies in the face of your crackpot theory that the UK couldn't handle not being treated as special.
And your patronising use of the the term 'we'..speak for yourself pal. I've lived and worked with people from all over Europe and the rest of the world for that matter and I've never looked down on anyone, from anywhere, and I've found most Brits to be the same. However, What I have seen (especially the French and the Dutch in Africa and the Middle East) are many Europeans treating locals with contempt and disrespect. The only reason I voted for Brexit was to enable control of our borders so we could turn back all the undesirables that the sniggering jackasses in Europe couldn't' wait to dump on us and our ridiculous kindness and benefits system (which of course they don't provide).
This is Brexit on 18:16 - Jun 21 with 1150 viewsDorsetIan

This is Brexit on 17:21 - Jun 21 by Ron11

So the French constantly turning a blind eye to so called refugees (who had paid thousands to get there) leaving their channel ports to illegally land in England (despite a ten million agreement and deal to stop this) is not treating us with contempt?
We also were one of the biggest contributors to the EU budget, and they also so kindly allowed us to pay in the biggest amount to NATO compared to their input, and still sniggered behind our backs.
Which makes your comment that we couldn't handle the idea that we had to stand as equals with these countries as a nonsense when we were already contributing more than most of them to both the the EU budget AND NATO making us more than their equals, which of course they were more than happy to allow especially when the UK actually didn't even complain about it - which flies in the face of your crackpot theory that the UK couldn't handle not being treated as special.
And your patronising use of the the term 'we'..speak for yourself pal. I've lived and worked with people from all over Europe and the rest of the world for that matter and I've never looked down on anyone, from anywhere, and I've found most Brits to be the same. However, What I have seen (especially the French and the Dutch in Africa and the Middle East) are many Europeans treating locals with contempt and disrespect. The only reason I voted for Brexit was to enable control of our borders so we could turn back all the undesirables that the sniggering jackasses in Europe couldn't' wait to dump on us and our ridiculous kindness and benefits system (which of course they don't provide).

There you go, suggesting that the French and the Dutch behave badly and we don’t. Let’s not get into a discussion of British Colonial history, but it’s a pretty silly generalisation isn’t it.

No, bottom line about Brexit is we don’t like Johnny Foreigner or sniggering European jackasses telling us what to do, because we’re better than them.

It’s one massive f*cking vanity project.

This is Brexit on 18:35 - Jun 21 with 1141 viewsBazza

This is Brexit on 18:16 - Jun 21 by DorsetIan

There you go, suggesting that the French and the Dutch behave badly and we don’t. Let’s not get into a discussion of British Colonial history, but it’s a pretty silly generalisation isn’t it.

No, bottom line about Brexit is we don’t like Johnny Foreigner or sniggering European jackasses telling us what to do, because we’re better than them.

Ian, you're entitled to your views but you're becoming extreme.
Do you really think the 52% of referendum voters ' don't like Johnny Foreigner or sniggering European jackasses telling us what to do, because we’re better than them'?
I think covid lockdown is getting to you.
This is Brexit on 18:44 - Jun 21 with 1137 viewsDorsetIan

This is Brexit on 18:35 - Jun 21 by Bazza

Ian, you're entitled to your views but you're becoming extreme.
Do you really think the 52% of referendum voters ' don't like Johnny Foreigner or sniggering European jackasses telling us what to do, because we’re better than them'?
I think covid lockdown is getting to you.

The 52% was a broad church. It’s the leaders of the project I‘m talking about. Crackpots like Farage and Bill Cash who dedicated their entire lives to this and who managed to con half the country into following joining them in their crazed fantasies.

This is Brexit on 19:04 - Jun 21 with 1119 viewsBison

This is Brexit on 18:44 - Jun 21 by DorsetIan

The 52% was a broad church. It’s the leaders of the project I‘m talking about. Crackpots like Farage and Bill Cash who dedicated their entire lives to this and who managed to con half the country into following joining them in their crazed fantasies.

So your minority view is the right one and you look down on the majority as following a couple of crazy characters , wow that was some achievement by those 2 crazies. Look up narcissist Ian , then look in a mirror.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

This is Brexit on 20:21 - Jun 21 with 1082 viewsRon11

Let's get into a discussion about French and Dutch colonial history then.
This is Brexit on 20:47 - Jun 21 with 1074 viewsBicester_North

What’s colonial history got to do with this subject?

You generalise about the British on this thread but then patronisingly tell somebody else they are generalising about other Europeans.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Login to get fewer ads

This is Brexit on 22:02 - Jun 21 with 1051 viewsDorsetIan

This is Brexit on 20:21 - Jun 21 by Ron11

Let's get into a discussion about French and Dutch colonial history then.

Happy to throw in Belgian, German and Spanish colonial history too. They're all appalling, but you seemed to be suggesting that the British were different.

This is Brexit on 22:09 - Jun 21 with 1042 viewsDorsetIan

This is Brexit on 19:04 - Jun 21 by Bison

So your minority view is the right one and you look down on the majority as following a couple of crazy characters , wow that was some achievement by those 2 crazies. Look up narcissist Ian , then look in a mirror.

Crackpots 'like' Farage and Cash. Who said there were only two?

But, yes, it was some achievement. A bunch of single issues fanatics managing to make an entire country obsess about the EU and then shoot itself in the foot. Quite brilliant but tragic nevertheless.

This is Brexit on 22:12 - Jun 21 with 1041 viewsDorsetIan

This is Brexit on 20:47 - Jun 21 by Bicester_North

What’s colonial history got to do with this subject?

You generalise about the British on this thread but then patronisingly tell somebody else they are generalising about other Europeans.

Have a chat with Ron. He kicked this one off with...

'Britain has scorned them after years of receiving nothing but their contempt.'

I'm just pointing out that that's tosh.

This is Brexit on 22:43 - Jun 21 with 1028 viewsBison

This is Brexit on 22:09 - Jun 21 by DorsetIan

Crackpots 'like' Farage and Cash. Who said there were only two?

But, yes, it was some achievement. A bunch of single issues fanatics managing to make an entire country obsess about the EU and then shoot itself in the foot. Quite brilliant but tragic nevertheless.

Wow , just wow.

I honestly thought you'd of got over the result by now. I guess you can't as it's in your make up.

This is Brexit on 00:22 - Jun 22 with 1013 viewsDorsetIan

This is Brexit on 22:43 - Jun 21 by Bison

Wow , just wow.

I honestly thought you'd of got over the result by now. I guess you can't as it's in your make up.

As I said, it‘s not me still feeling the need post stuff slacking off our European friends and colleagues.

I’ll be happy to ‚get over it’ when the supposed benefits arrive, when the so easily predicted downsides stop accumulating, and when the lies about everything being the EU’s fault (still ffs!!) stop.

It the w@nkers who are still trotting out the same old jingoistic tripe that can’t get over themselves. It’s all they’ve got.

This is Brexit on 08:54 - Jun 22 with 958 viewsgrumpy

This is Brexit on 17:21 - Jun 21 by Ron11

Illegal immigrants determination to cross the channel is incredible, you cant blame the French.
'We also were one of the biggest contributors to the EU budget' why shouldn't we be?
'allowed us to pay in the biggest amount to NATO compared to their input 'are they supposed to stop us?
'Europeans treating locals with contempt and disrespect' wow! that is some generalization. Of course we have never done that have we?
'control of our borders' does that include the Ireland one that we said wouldn't be there?
This view of 'sniggering jackasses in Europe 'is absolutely ridiculous.
This is Brexit on 09:17 - Jun 22 with 953 viewsBerber

Actually, I don't like "sniggering European jackasses telling me what to do," simply because I didn't vote for them to do that, and nor did anyone else who is a UK citizen. When I voted to join the EU, none of the political convergence was on the agenda, it was all about trade and free movement (neither of which I have a problem with). I came to resent this freedom that was effectively being stolen from me, even though on balance I favoured remaining. I certainly don't have many regrets about leaving though, and it is probably better to have the Franco-German moves to suppress UK interests for their own benefit out in the open.
This is Brexit on 13:26 - Jun 22 with 907 viewsDorsetIan

This is Brexit on 09:17 - Jun 22 by Berber

Actually, I don't like "sniggering European jackasses telling me what to do," simply because I didn't vote for them to do that, and nor did anyone else who is a UK citizen. When I voted to join the EU, none of the political convergence was on the agenda, it was all about trade and free movement (neither of which I have a problem with). I came to resent this freedom that was effectively being stolen from me, even though on balance I favoured remaining. I certainly don't have many regrets about leaving though, and it is probably better to have the Franco-German moves to suppress UK interests for their own benefit out in the open.

As the UK is now finding out rather dramatically, the EU is and always was first and foremost about freedoms: to move trade, work, live, travel, spend etc etc.

The supposed problem of being 'told what to do' by them was a nonsense - we joined a club and we therefore agreed to some collective decision making. It was no big deal and no Brexit supporter was ever able to describe in anything more than abstract terms what the things were that they were being 'told' to do that they objected to so much.

The freedom's we have lost and the instability brought to NI are very real. The freedom's we have gained are pretty abstract.

Even though we have now left, the EU is still cynically being painted as a bogeyman by certain politicians. I suspect it's always going to be like this. It's pretty tragic.

This is Brexit on 13:37 - Jun 22 with 903 viewsRon11

This is Brexit on 00:22 - Jun 22 by DorsetIan

As I said, it‘s not me still feeling the need post stuff slacking off our European friends and colleagues.

I’ll be happy to ‚get over it’ when the supposed benefits arrive, when the so easily predicted downsides stop accumulating, and when the lies about everything being the EU’s fault (still ffs!!) stop.

It the w@nkers who are still trotting out the same old jingoistic tripe that can’t get over themselves. It’s all they’ve got.

'W@nkers'.
You just don't get it, do you? Nobody is 'jingoistic' as you call it, and nobody has called anybody 'w@nkers' apart from you. You're just bitter, get over it - you lost (and how many times has that been said) and just because some people have a differing opinion to yours, they're 'w@nkers'. Makes you sound like another Brit hater.
And when we say 'jackasses' we mean some of the EU leaders, not most of the people. There's plenty in France and Spain who would love to get out of the dictatorship...and control their borders.
This is Brexit on 13:49 - Jun 22 with 891 viewsDorsetIan

This is Brexit on 13:37 - Jun 22 by Ron11

'W@nkers'.
You just don't get it, do you? Nobody is 'jingoistic' as you call it, and nobody has called anybody 'w@nkers' apart from you. You're just bitter, get over it - you lost (and how many times has that been said) and just because some people have a differing opinion to yours, they're 'w@nkers'. Makes you sound like another Brit hater.
And when we say 'jackasses' we mean some of the EU leaders, not most of the people. There's plenty in France and Spain who would love to get out of the dictatorship...and control their borders.

I am referring to the politicians who are still 'trotting out the same old jingoistic tripe'. They are the w@nkers.

We see things differently. I see a load of plastic patriots stressing about how many union jacks there are in a BBC report, or complaining if people want to critique British history. These people are not patriots. They are using simplistic ideas of patriotism to divide and rule.

We are great country, but not because we wear union jack socks. It's f*cking childish.

This is Brexit on 14:04 - Jun 22 with 886 viewsSadoldgit

This is Brexit on 13:37 - Jun 22 by Ron11

'W@nkers'.

When you talk about “controlling borders” surely you are just replacing one dictatorship with another?
This is Brexit on 14:19 - Jun 22 with 883 viewsBison

This is Brexit on 14:04 - Jun 22 by Sadoldgit

When you talk about “controlling borders” surely you are just replacing one dictatorship with another?

We can vote out Boris though SoG's and repeal any laws or rules he has imposed . under the ECJ that was that so its not the same is it, but yes you correct we replaced a dictatorship but we replaced it with a democratic government.

This is Brexit on 14:31 - Jun 22 with 880 viewsBerber

This is Brexit on 13:26 - Jun 22 by DorsetIan

As the UK is now finding out rather dramatically, the EU is and always was first and foremost about freedoms: to move trade, work, live, travel, spend etc etc.

The supposed problem of being 'told what to do' by them was a nonsense - we joined a club and we therefore agreed to some collective decision making. It was no big deal and no Brexit supporter was ever able to describe in anything more than abstract terms what the things were that they were being 'told' to do that they objected to so much.

The freedom's we have lost and the instability brought to NI are very real. The freedom's we have gained are pretty abstract.

Even though we have now left, the EU is still cynically being painted as a bogeyman by certain politicians. I suspect it's always going to be like this. It's pretty tragic.

The EEC was first and foremost about freedoms. The EU, as quite a few of their bureaucrats, and quite a lot of ex European politicians have stated many times over the years, is about ever increasing convergence. That actually is the antithesis of freedom, unless we continually agree to give up our freedom of choice.

Being told what to do by them is not a nonsense. The facts are, that Britain has never willingly given up our freedoms, Thatchers disillusion with them, John Major, the Maastricht Treat, "Those bastards," and many times since, are all testimony to that, and the political fudges where we were allowed to pretend that we had not acquiesced did not, in the end, satisfy many of our population. First and foremost, I believe in democracy. That means democracy of the UK. As Boris (God bless his cotton socks, whoever's bed they are in) said a few months ago in relation to the vaccines row with Queen Ursula, "The first duty of any national government is to protect its citizens ," which is kind of hard to argue against, and the EU had to zip up for a while, as they cannot disagree for fear of the Dutch, the Danish, many Italians and quite a lot of Spanish kicking off.

I agree that the freedoms of Brexit are pretty abstract, but utlimately, they are nased on the proviso that it is the UK citizens alone that get to vote on the key decisions regarding our future. I would liken the situation similar to animals trapped in a reservation, "You can go anywhere you like, just stick to the rules, it's for your own good." But ultimately, we are not free if consensus rules agreed by a majority of foreign politicians in the EU are enforced over us. Sure we had a voice, but it is not the deciding one.

You must have had the feeling when leaving a match, that actually, you cannot do anything but go with the flow, you are, for that time, trapped in the direction and actions of others. By the time you are able to change direction, you may be past your intended destination.

The Scots might argue the same, but the terms of the Union that they signed up to did not include provisions for exit, our deal with the EU did, so I'll accept the legal definitions and democratic vote on that one.

I know a large part of the UK still thought, and think, that it is worth it, but personally, I would never sell my freedom without the realistic option to buy it back at a time of my own choosing, for whatever reason.

EU bogeymen? So how do we explain the incredibly loaded goods testing demanded by the EU for N Ireland bound goods compared to the relatively few they demand elsewhere? I don't see much goodwill, or good faith (which underpins all legal agreements) and as they have shown regarding their poor vaccines purchase deal, they are not averse to throwing their legal weight about. I wait with anticipation the EU court ruling on the supply contract with AZ. I note too that they have claimed victory in their request for punitive fines to be levied on AZ, despite the judge (whilst finding some merit in their sourcing argument) declining to do so.
This is Brexit on 14:44 - Jun 22 with 878 viewsBison

They are now trying to control what EU citizens watch via Netflix , Amazon and co , apparently the british programs/ films are not European enough.

The EU is preparing to act against the “disproportionate” amount of British television and film content shown in Europe in the wake of Brexit, in a blow to the UK entertainment industry and the country’s “soft power” abroad.

If this was a marriage the EU would be a bunny boiler.

This is Brexit on 15:00 - Jun 22 with 870 viewsDorsetIan

This is Brexit on 14:31 - Jun 22 by Berber

The EEC was first and foremost about freedoms. The EU, as quite a few of their bureaucrats, and quite a lot of ex European politicians have stated many times over the years, is about ever increasing convergence. That actually is the antithesis of freedom, unless we continually agree to give up our freedom of choice.

Being told what to do by them is not a nonsense. The facts are, that Britain has never willingly given up our freedoms, Thatchers disillusion with them, John Major, the Maastricht Treat, "Those bastards," and many times since, are all testimony to that, and the political fudges where we were allowed to pretend that we had not acquiesced did not, in the end, satisfy many of our population. First and foremost, I believe in democracy. That means democracy of the UK. As Boris (God bless his cotton socks, whoever's bed they are in) said a few months ago in relation to the vaccines row with Queen Ursula, "The first duty of any national government is to protect its citizens ," which is kind of hard to argue against, and the EU had to zip up for a while, as they cannot disagree for fear of the Dutch, the Danish, many Italians and quite a lot of Spanish kicking off.

I agree that the freedoms of Brexit are pretty abstract, but utlimately, they are nased on the proviso that it is the UK citizens alone that get to vote on the key decisions regarding our future. I would liken the situation similar to animals trapped in a reservation, "You can go anywhere you like, just stick to the rules, it's for your own good." But ultimately, we are not free if consensus rules agreed by a majority of foreign politicians in the EU are enforced over us. Sure we had a voice, but it is not the deciding one.

You must have had the feeling when leaving a match, that actually, you cannot do anything but go with the flow, you are, for that time, trapped in the direction and actions of others. By the time you are able to change direction, you may be past your intended destination.

The Scots might argue the same, but the terms of the Union that they signed up to did not include provisions for exit, our deal with the EU did, so I'll accept the legal definitions and democratic vote on that one.

I know a large part of the UK still thought, and think, that it is worth it, but personally, I would never sell my freedom without the realistic option to buy it back at a time of my own choosing, for whatever reason.

EU bogeymen? So how do we explain the incredibly loaded goods testing demanded by the EU for N Ireland bound goods compared to the relatively few they demand elsewhere? I don't see much goodwill, or good faith (which underpins all legal agreements) and as they have shown regarding their poor vaccines purchase deal, they are not averse to throwing their legal weight about. I wait with anticipation the EU court ruling on the supply contract with AZ. I note too that they have claimed victory in their request for punitive fines to be levied on AZ, despite the judge (whilst finding some merit in their sourcing argument) declining to do so.

This...

'The EU, as quite a few of their bureaucrats, and quite a lot of ex European politicians have stated many times over the years, is about ever increasing convergence. That actually is the antithesis of freedom, unless we continually agree to give up our freedom of choice.'

...is just rubbish and illustrates the problem completely.

The 'convergence' idea is there, sure, but it hasn't moved very far. 'Up yours delors' was in 1990 and I don't see too much of a European superstate over 30 years later. And I don't know if you noticed but the UK opted out of so much of that stuff that it didn't like.

You focus on all these constitutional and political ideals, overstate their importance, and appear to give no weight whatsoever to the freedoms we had: to work, travel, retire, invest in, set up businesses in, export to, import from, study in, our nearest neighbours. Real freedoms. Fantastic freedoms. All flushed down the toilet. (With a bit of NI destabilisation thrown in too).

The triumph of ideology and disinformation over common sense.

This is Brexit on 15:12 - Jun 22 with 863 viewsSadoldgit

This is Brexit on 14:44 - Jun 22 by Bison

They are now trying to control what EU citizens watch via Netflix , Amazon and co , apparently the british programs/ films are not European enough.

The EU is preparing to act against the “disproportionate” amount of British television and film content shown in Europe in the wake of Brexit, in a blow to the UK entertainment industry and the country’s “soft power” abroad.

If this was a marriage the EU would be a bunny boiler.

I saw something on the fromt page of the Express about this (no surprise there).
Given that we have left the EU, can we really be surprised when things change?
I get the feeling that, just like when we were in it, we want to pick and chose what parts we sign up to and those we don’t. We don’t have a say anymore. Isn’t that the whole thing about getting our country back? We and the EU have parted company but we get all shirty when we have to face the realities of what that means.
This is Brexit on 15:23 - Jun 22 with 857 viewsI_would

This is Brexit on 15:12 - Jun 22 by Sadoldgit

I saw something on the fromt page of the Express about this (no surprise there).
Given that we have left the EU, can we really be surprised when things change?
I get the feeling that, just like when we were in it, we want to pick and chose what parts we sign up to and those we don’t. We don’t have a say anymore. Isn’t that the whole thing about getting our country back? We and the EU have parted company but we get all shirty when we have to face the realities of what that means.

Are you complaining about people complaining? Seems to be a thread through most of your posts.

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024