Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread: Doncaster H 14:17 - May 1 with 21132 views442Dale

Lynch, McLaughlin, Keohane, OConnell, Osho, Morley, Rathbone, Lund, Grant, Done, Beesley.

It says on OS that Shaughnessy fit enough to be on the bench so may have a knock. Not really sure why we’ve changed the formation.

Oh and you can bet Doncaster’s young sub keeper will come on and save a penalty to send us down.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread: Doncaster H on 21:20 - May 1 with 3146 viewsEllDale

Match thread: Doncaster H on 17:22 - May 1 by Shun

I’m with you here. We didn’t play badly at all today. We deserve to be relegated over the season as a whole. The apathy I feel to today’s news though says a lot about how the season’s been.

I’m not one for hyperbole, like a lot seem to be on here, and even more on Twitter. We haven’t been the worst side in the league. This isn’t the worst Dale side ever seen, or even the worst in the past decade. We won’t go straight down to the National League.

I’d like to agree but think that most of today’s team, for a variety of reasons, won’t be at the club come August.
God knows what sort of rag, tag and bobtail squad we’ll have by then.
Match thread: Doncaster H on 22:08 - May 1 with 2975 viewsboromat

Match thread: Doncaster H on 21:20 - May 1 by EllDale

I’d like to agree but think that most of today’s team, for a variety of reasons, won’t be at the club come August.

Yep agree with Shuns comments but also worried about where we'll be come the start of next season.

Majority of the players out of contract, no youth team players offered terms, season tickets not in offer until late June. It's all sounding like it'll be another rushed together squad and if we lose the players I think we will then we'll be looking at a full overhaul probably on the cheap.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Match thread: Doncaster H on 00:04 - May 2 with 2773 viewsShun

Match thread: Doncaster H on 17:53 - May 1 by IOMDale

Southend’s 101 year stay in the Football League ended today, suffering consecutive relegations. A very real danger that we’ll replicate their ‘effort’ by this time next year unless drastic measures are taken.

With respect, Southend have been an absolute basket case of a club for a number of years now, they were the worst side League One has seen in however many years (based on points amassed over a season), and they’ve had near-constant flirtations with financial ruin. They were always expected to struggle this year and risked going down again.

We are not Southend. Our current squad is streets ahead of theirs this time last year. We’re relatively financially stable (despite what the board say), and as much as we dislike our board, it isn’t anywhere near their level of ridiculousness. If there is a team who goes straight from League One to the NL then odds on it’ll be Swindon, not us.

Edit: just realised jonahwhereru has said similar!
[Post edited 2 May 2021 0:47]
Match thread: Doncaster H on 08:21 - May 2 with 2517 viewsNorthernDale

Match thread: Doncaster H on 20:29 - May 1 by RooleyMoorBlue

But for Covid19 this would have happened 12 months ago. That's the only thing that saved BBM from dismissal any earlier. He kept us up just the season before that, but has had his chance now. It is obvious he isn't cut out for management, the last 7 minutes at Wimbledon proved that all on its own.

I have to agree that BBM is not a manager, he may be a decent coach, but he lacks the ability to manage. Wimbledon is just one of many examples of this, Oxford and Peterborough at home, when we should have had the sense to close the game down, but the failure to do so cost us 4 points! What is our home record for wins under BBM over the last two seasons, is it just 10 home wins, which is if the case, is shocking.

What worries me is,

1. BBM has not changed his tactics in two seasons, it is almost a fundamental belief in possession football is more important, then winning games or hus lack of ability to change tactics. The question is will he change next season and play attacking football or will he return to his preferred and only approach to games, possession and crap like football?

2. We have the basis of a decent squad and if we can hold on to the core, O'Connell, Rathbone, Lund and Humphrys, we may be okay. However I fear that DB will look to reduce the wage bill and get money in, by selling players like Rathbone and Humphrys and failing to get O'Connell and Lund signed up by offering them good terms. His attitude will be cheap and low budget players from league 2 or non-league. I pointed out to DB last season, when getting my season ticket/card that the squad was weak, his response was that we had going on 20 players (this included kids of course, but that did not seem to matter, it was the number that mattered and the budget). That we are looking to lose two exciting prospects in Baah and possibly Brierley, rather than looking to develop them into long-term first team players, we did last year and the year before with Luke Matherson and Adshead. I accept Baah is out of contract and the money is useful. But we have a reputation of promoting promising young players into the first team and raising their value through first team experience, but the £ sign is what matters at the moment.

3. We seem to be on a downward spiral under DB and the present board, in that we have failed to offer contracts to some of the youth team (who are already interesting other teams from posts on this forum), which as been suggested due to financial reasons, which will damage the reputation of the academy and club. The relationship between the club, board and fans seem to be at the lowest for years, the board approach seems to be ignore the fans opinions and views, we know better. The Gold Bond is a classic example of this, we all said it was a mistake to end it, but DB thought we would all flock to the new Lotto and pay for through Direct Debit, but failing to understand most people who did the Gold Bond were no
Dale fans.

I agree we are not Southend or Swindon, and I feel for their loyal fans, but we could well struggle next season with the cheap low budget approach of the board and a manager, who knows that as a 'Yes' man he will keep his job. In the knowledge, he can continue with his youth coach approach to managing the team, winning is not that important, but it is about developing players.
Match thread: Doncaster H on 08:36 - May 2 with 2491 viewsNorthernDale

May I also add, I accept that many on the board are loyal Dale fans and operating a tight budget may be the approach to maintain the club, after seeing what as happened at Bury and Macclesfield for example.

However this season their best intentions back fired in that the loss of income in going down , may be in the short-term damaging. I just hope that the fans recognise the boards efforts and the board recognise that they have made some serious mistakes. Then we can rebuild the great club and hopefully get back into league 1.
Match thread: Doncaster H on 08:41 - May 2 with 2476 viewsMass_Debater

Match thread: Doncaster H on 08:21 - May 2 by NorthernDale

I have to agree that BBM is not a manager, he may be a decent coach, but he lacks the ability to manage. Wimbledon is just one of many examples of this, Oxford and Peterborough at home, when we should have had the sense to close the game down, but the failure to do so cost us 4 points! What is our home record for wins under BBM over the last two seasons, is it just 10 home wins, which is if the case, is shocking.

What worries me is,

1. BBM has not changed his tactics in two seasons, it is almost a fundamental belief in possession football is more important, then winning games or hus lack of ability to change tactics. The question is will he change next season and play attacking football or will he return to his preferred and only approach to games, possession and crap like football?

2. We have the basis of a decent squad and if we can hold on to the core, O'Connell, Rathbone, Lund and Humphrys, we may be okay. However I fear that DB will look to reduce the wage bill and get money in, by selling players like Rathbone and Humphrys and failing to get O'Connell and Lund signed up by offering them good terms. His attitude will be cheap and low budget players from league 2 or non-league. I pointed out to DB last season, when getting my season ticket/card that the squad was weak, his response was that we had going on 20 players (this included kids of course, but that did not seem to matter, it was the number that mattered and the budget). That we are looking to lose two exciting prospects in Baah and possibly Brierley, rather than looking to develop them into long-term first team players, we did last year and the year before with Luke Matherson and Adshead. I accept Baah is out of contract and the money is useful. But we have a reputation of promoting promising young players into the first team and raising their value through first team experience, but the £ sign is what matters at the moment.

3. We seem to be on a downward spiral under DB and the present board, in that we have failed to offer contracts to some of the youth team (who are already interesting other teams from posts on this forum), which as been suggested due to financial reasons, which will damage the reputation of the academy and club. The relationship between the club, board and fans seem to be at the lowest for years, the board approach seems to be ignore the fans opinions and views, we know better. The Gold Bond is a classic example of this, we all said it was a mistake to end it, but DB thought we would all flock to the new Lotto and pay for through Direct Debit, but failing to understand most people who did the Gold Bond were no
Dale fans.

I agree we are not Southend or Swindon, and I feel for their loyal fans, but we could well struggle next season with the cheap low budget approach of the board and a manager, who knows that as a 'Yes' man he will keep his job. In the knowledge, he can continue with his youth coach approach to managing the team, winning is not that important, but it is about developing players.

Surprised none of that's already been said by others.
Match thread: Doncaster H on 09:19 - May 2 with 2410 viewsfunkkk

Match thread: Doncaster H on 08:21 - May 2 by NorthernDale

What worries me is,

Dale fans.

BBM has a complete blind faith in his philosophy. His post match interview yesterday summed it up, he really did just think that if he persisted that results would look after themselves. He’s delusional and the board are complicit enablers by extending his contract by way of reward.

What concerns me is I’m starting to see Dale fans coming out and saying he deserves a shot at League 2. As if somehow League 2 cloggers won’t be able to deal with our scintillating possession football. I’ve seen absolutely nothing in his time here to suggest he is a manager capable of success.
Match thread: Doncaster H on 12:26 - May 2 with 2176 viewsQuigley_dale

Match thread: Doncaster H on 15:55 - May 1 by D_Alien

Talking of composure (and apart from one decent tackle) Morley's looked all over the place; whilst starting from the wrong place, a tactic which has been demonstrably a failure during the season

Not sure we're unlucky, just short of being effective enough when it really matters

I've seen you mention several times this season about Morley's talent not being utilised due to being played too deep and out of position, and I completely agree, he has the best passing range of any Dale player since Jamie Allen. But his progression is being stymied by BBM tactics, a criminal waste of his talent.
Login to get fewer ads

Match thread: Doncaster H on 12:32 - May 2 with 2160 viewsQuigley_dale

Match thread: Doncaster H on 18:16 - May 1 by AtThePeake

No you didn't James, and we did need a left-back - which is why we probably should have had a plan B in place for when Blackpool didn't allow us to take Mitchell. A lack of plan B is a bit of a theme, this season eh?

I don't think anyone is arguing that a left-back would've helped, but to suggest a left-back would've took us from a team that's been relegated to play-off chasers is probably overstating it ever so slightly, especially when Keohane has been one of our better performers in the last few months anyway.

You seem to haven taken it upon yourself to blame literally anything but the manager but the reality is that our results this season have been affected far more by his tactics, his philosophy and his naivety than by the lack of a loanee left-back for the final few months of the campaign.

Absolutely spot on.

Another post from Jimbo thats left me scratching my head🤔😂
Match thread: Doncaster H on 13:07 - May 2 with 2096 viewsBillyRudd

Match thread: Doncaster H on 09:19 - May 2 by funkkk

BBM has a complete blind faith in his philosophy. His post match interview yesterday summed it up, he really did just think that if he persisted that results would look after themselves. He’s delusional and the board are complicit enablers by extending his contract by way of reward.

What concerns me is I’m starting to see Dale fans coming out and saying he deserves a shot at League 2. As if somehow League 2 cloggers won’t be able to deal with our scintillating possession football. I’ve seen absolutely nothing in his time here to suggest he is a manager capable of success.

Absolutely this. The very root of our demise this season.
I also don,t understand the love in with EOC on this board. For a centre back he has an above average pair of feet and on a one to one with his back to goal he is excellent but the first attribute of a centre back is a command of the box in the air. In this respect he is woeful as has been proved time and time again this season. He,s no Colin Parry.
As for Morley it does,nt matter what position he is being asked to play, he should still be told to cut out the ludicrous Hollywood balls and his statuesque attempt at a clearance for Doncasters first when he gave the Donny striker all the time in the world to nip in front of him just about sums up the defending for the season.
I,m not so much worried about who we can retain for next season as concerned that they are all so in love with BBM,S no losers, they are all brilliant regime that they will all want to stay.
One of the players that gets more than his fair share of grief on here, Done, was the one outstanding player when it came to caring for the cause.
I listened to BBM,s post match interview and I lost count of the number of superlatives he was heaping on them. It,s more of the same next season I,m afraid. I just hope he looks at the table next season with more than 7 games to go.
[Post edited 2 May 2021 13:09]
Match thread: Doncaster H on 13:10 - May 2 with 2079 viewsboromat

Match thread: Doncaster H on 12:26 - May 2 by Quigley_dale

I've seen you mention several times this season about Morley's talent not being utilised due to being played too deep and out of position, and I completely agree, he has the best passing range of any Dale player since Jamie Allen. But his progression is being stymied by BBM tactics, a criminal waste of his talent.

I also would like to see Morley given a chance further forwards I can see why he's been played in the positions he has though. When he's played in the deeper positions it means we can get him into the ball in space and with time. If he is going to play further forwards we'll need to see him be able to play with more speed and with less time on the ball. If he can do that and continue to provide some quality passes he could be a massive player for us.

Match thread: Doncaster H on 13:12 - May 2 with 2046 viewsdamaka

Match thread: Doncaster H on 18:44 - May 1 by judd

It really would not surprise me to hear that the CE is in tears at the players awards event, saying he’s not bothered about relegation and that this club is going on an amazing journey over the next 5 years.

But the media team will probably edit that bit out.

yes, an amazing journey to the national league and beyond
Match thread: Doncaster H on 13:16 - May 2 with 2033 viewsdamaka

Match thread: Doncaster H on 21:20 - May 1 by EllDale

its going to be like the 80's again, 10 out, 10 in and no time to gel together
Match thread: Doncaster H on 13:25 - May 2 with 2023 viewsfitzochris

Match thread: Doncaster H on 18:16 - May 1 by AtThePeake

No you didn't James, and we did need a left-back - which is why we probably should have had a plan B in place for when Blackpool didn't allow us to take Mitchell. A lack of plan B is a bit of a theme, this season eh?

I don't think anyone is arguing that a left-back would've helped, but to suggest a left-back would've took us from a team that's been relegated to play-off chasers is probably overstating it ever so slightly, especially when Keohane has been one of our better performers in the last few months anyway.

You seem to haven taken it upon yourself to blame literally anything but the manager but the reality is that our results this season have been affected far more by his tactics, his philosophy and his naivety than by the lack of a loanee left-back for the final few months of the campaign.

For me, that’s it in a nutshell. Some people can’t see it - or don’t want to - and that’s fine, but that’s absolutely why we have been relegated this season.

I’ve felt like a stuck record - at times like I’ve been wading through treacle - but I won’t change my opinion, no matter how much stick I get online. I’ve supported the club too long for that.

This season has only been further mired by the off-field carry on, best epitomised by the manager’s secret contract extension.

Combined, it’s probably the lowest I’ve felt as a Rochdale supporter. The late 80s and 90s? There was an acceptance of place that never gave rise to much hope. The naughties? Parkin gave me real hope for the first time. The defeat to Rushden & Diamonds? Hard to take but that was failure brought about by success. The relegation in 2012 was inevitable. The squad was bloated and ever changing and was hampered by three different managers. With all that going on, you at least still felt confident that the board had things under control.

This feels different. I have absolutely no confidence in off-field or on-field operations at the minute and it terrifies me. There is a chink of light, however. A small one. And I am praying that the correct decisions are made in the coming days/weeks that set us on the right path again. It will require a good sweep of the club, though.

I’ve been critical of the Trust in the past, but am fully behind its efforts now. The volunteers are doing all they can to shed light on the current situation on behalf of the supporters.

We are in League Two now. Seven seasons in League One done. Nothing we can do about that. Let’s hope things align to make sure we can at least enjoy next season.

Up the Dale.
[Post edited 2 May 2021 13:27]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match thread: Doncaster H on 13:58 - May 2 with 1902 viewsboromat

I'm currently having nightmares about the Alan Buckley pre-season.

Poor signings and a side to side passing style that led to few goals for.

Match thread: Doncaster H on 15:10 - May 2 with 1752 viewsNorthernDale

Does anyone know, if Baah passed his medical with Watford.
Match thread: Doncaster H on 16:15 - May 2 with 1634 viewselectricblue

Match thread: Doncaster H on 15:10 - May 2 by NorthernDale

Does anyone know, if Baah passed his medical with Watford.

Email Bottomley and ask.......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Match thread: Doncaster H on 17:00 - May 2 with 1503 viewsBigKindo

Match thread: Doncaster H on 16:15 - May 2 by electricblue

Email Bottomley and ask.......

... and receive a reply when Baah has retired from football.
Match thread: Doncaster H on 18:04 - May 2 with 1398 viewsfinberty

Match thread: Doncaster H on 13:07 - May 2 by BillyRudd

Absolutely this. The very root of our demise this season.
I also don,t understand the love in with EOC on this board. For a centre back he has an above average pair of feet and on a one to one with his back to goal he is excellent but the first attribute of a centre back is a command of the box in the air. In this respect he is woeful as has been proved time and time again this season. He,s no Colin Parry.
As for Morley it does,nt matter what position he is being asked to play, he should still be told to cut out the ludicrous Hollywood balls and his statuesque attempt at a clearance for Doncasters first when he gave the Donny striker all the time in the world to nip in front of him just about sums up the defending for the season.
I,m not so much worried about who we can retain for next season as concerned that they are all so in love with BBM,S no losers, they are all brilliant regime that they will all want to stay.
One of the players that gets more than his fair share of grief on here, Done, was the one outstanding player when it came to caring for the cause.
I listened to BBM,s post match interview and I lost count of the number of superlatives he was heaping on them. It,s more of the same next season I,m afraid. I just hope he looks at the table next season with more than 7 games to go.
[Post edited 2 May 2021 13:09]

I absolutely agree with what you said about Done. When played up front he alone seemed to know how to drive at opposing defences. He has been made scapegoat by being played as left back and then blamed for not excelling in that role.

I also agree with what you said about EOC. Most on here seemed resigned to losing him at the end of the season. Over the years we have been spoiled with some excellent CBs - I can go back as far as Joe Cooke, John Bramhall, Alan Reeves, Tony Brown, Gareth Griffiths, Craig Dawson. I'm sure I've missed many other good ones. I've never put EOC on a par with these.
Match thread: Doncaster H on 18:22 - May 2 with 1326 views49thseason

Match thread: Doncaster H on 18:04 - May 2 by finberty

I absolutely agree with what you said about Done. When played up front he alone seemed to know how to drive at opposing defences. He has been made scapegoat by being played as left back and then blamed for not excelling in that role.

I also agree with what you said about EOC. Most on here seemed resigned to losing him at the end of the season. Over the years we have been spoiled with some excellent CBs - I can go back as far as Joe Cooke, John Bramhall, Alan Reeves, Tony Brown, Gareth Griffiths, Craig Dawson. I'm sure I've missed many other good ones. I've never put EOC on a par with these.

I thought we should have got David Wheater on board when he fell out with Oldham. He is 34, Andy Butler played well enough yeaterday at 37. Class is permanent.
Match thread: Doncaster H on 18:41 - May 2 with 1282 viewsoff2div1

Match thread: Doncaster H on 19:30 - May 1 by fitzochris

It’s absolutely disgusting. A complete charade that’s pulled the wool over many people’s eyes - mine included.

People will mobilise to get our club back and it will happen soon.

Looks like that's what's happened today at ManU v Liverpool
Match thread: Doncaster H on 19:11 - May 2 with 1228 viewsfitzochris

Match thread: Doncaster H on 18:41 - May 2 by off2div1

Looks like that's what's happened today at ManU v Liverpool

They’re clearly not a happy lot, but I was referring to a much more official and civilised process.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match thread: Doncaster H on 19:20 - May 2 with 1202 viewsnordenblue

Totally agree with you about EOC, he's fairly decent but I wouldnt lose sleep about him leaving,we've had far better options down the years
Match thread: Doncaster H on 20:08 - May 2 with 1105 viewsD_Alien

O'Connell has been outclassed by Osho, when the latter has been played in his correct position

Osho's performances have been one of the very few highlights recently, but it's almost certain we'll have 'brought him on' only to benefit either Luton or some other club. Has huge potential but certainly Championship class

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread: Doncaster H on 20:31 - May 2 with 1030 viewsrichfoad32

Match thread: Doncaster H on 19:20 - May 2 by nordenblue

Totally agree with you about EOC, he's fairly decent but I wouldnt lose sleep about him leaving,we've had far better options down the years

But do we have far better options now?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024