Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ralph Hasenhuttl 08:31 - Jun 10 with 12222 viewsMattFinish

For years we've been needing a manager who sees Saints as a long term project. We finally have one in Ralph and there's people on here who want him out because we had a poor second half of the season.
What exactly do these people expect the manager to do with this squad and investment.
With an investment record only slightly better than Norwich, somehow Ralph got us to top of the league, for a time in the top 6 and a semi final.
Our bench and first team was regularly filled with inexperienced youth team players and we had no back up for crucial positions.
Yet we still competed and finished 2 points behind 12th place. There were few games where we lost and played badly. A lot of defeats could have been victories if we'd taken our chances.
Yet some people on here think a cup semi final, occupying top spot for the first time in 32 years and mid table finish wasn't good enough with this squad. Unbelievable.
Ralph needs the backing of the owner and the supporters and maybe he can build something we all want.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 8:32]
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 20:16 - Jun 10 with 1680 viewsI_would

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 20:05 - Jun 10 by Bicester_North

How do you remember this inspiration from Redmond?
Was it you he told about this creative partnership he wanted to form?

Yes, of course.

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 07:20 - Jun 14 with 1453 viewsMattFinish

Just a question to those saying Ralph should have done better. We got to a cup semi final and 2 points off 12th spot. Exactly what do you think Ralph should have done with this squad? Win the Cup and finish above 12th?
Villa finished 11th spending £145m on 12 new players.
What would you be saying about Ralph if he'd spent £145m and only finished 11th?
Time to get real
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 10:02 - Jun 14 with 1393 viewsDorsetIan

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 07:20 - Jun 14 by MattFinish

Just a question to those saying Ralph should have done better. We got to a cup semi final and 2 points off 12th spot. Exactly what do you think Ralph should have done with this squad? Win the Cup and finish above 12th?
What would you be saying about Ralph if he'd spent £145m and only finished 11th?
Time to get real

Given that we topped the league, finishing 12th isn't really that exciting.

And, yes, we got to a semi-final but then didn't turn up for it.

But it's large number of really poor performances and his bizarre tactical decisions that make people questions Ralph as manager.

I agree though that he's got a very flimsy squad now, so let's hope we can get some good players in in the summer and let's see what he can do with them.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 13:26 - Jun 14 with 1368 viewsI_would

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 07:20 - Jun 14 by MattFinish

Time to get real

We weren't two points off 12th spot. We were 2 points off 14th spot due to goal difference and we finished 15th. We were 4 points from 17th. We were close to relegation, we broke all the wrong records and Ralph couldn't motivate the team at Wembley.

Ralph's team picks are dodgy, as are his subs and the timing of subs is suspect. He needs to improve his own performance next season.

We also need to play 3 CB's as our MF is not up to helping defend and we need to drop the high press since we've now been found out and the opposition know just when and how to sit and wait to punish us.

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 18:47 - Jun 14 with 1320 viewsMattFinish

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 10:02 - Jun 14 by DorsetIan

Given that we topped the league, finishing 12th isn't really that exciting.

And, yes, we got to a semi-final but then didn't turn up for it.

But it's large number of really poor performances and his bizarre tactical decisions that make people questions Ralph as manager.

I agree though that he's got a very flimsy squad now, so let's hope we can get some good players in in the summer and let's see what he can do with them.

But that's just my point.

We should never have been top and we should never have got to a cup semi final with that side.

God knows how Ralph got us to both with that squad. It was due to a lack of depth that we petered out. Ralph got us to a point that was unsustainable.

So I assume you think we should have finished far higher? That is completely unrealistic with this set of players.

I disagree that there were a large number of poor performances. We competed in a large number of games but when you have no option but to bring on or start with players like N'Lundulu, Tella, Jankowitz, Smallbone, Chauke, Watts it's an uphill struggle.

I agree, let's see what happens when we get a load of bargain basement signings and loans in
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 18:49 - Jun 14 with 1318 viewsMattFinish

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 13:26 - Jun 14 by I_would

We weren't two points off 12th spot. We were 2 points off 14th spot due to goal difference and we finished 15th. We were 4 points from 17th. We were close to relegation, we broke all the wrong records and Ralph couldn't motivate the team at Wembley.

Ralph's team picks are dodgy, as are his subs and the timing of subs is suspect. He needs to improve his own performance next season.

We also need to play 3 CB's as our MF is not up to helping defend and we need to drop the high press since we've now been found out and the opposition know just when and how to sit and wait to punish us.

Here you go fella - https://www.online-calculator.com/

You'd better give him a call and tell him how to pick a team.
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 18:52 - Jun 14 with 1310 viewsMattFinish

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 13:26 - Jun 14 by I_would

We were 15 points off relegation and 18 points behind Arsenal
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 19:05 - Jun 14 with 1292 viewsI_would

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 18:52 - Jun 14 by MattFinish

We were 15 points off relegation and 18 points behind Arsenal

And 44 points off being PL Champions and a few games from European Cup winners.

Login to get fewer ads

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 19:09 - Jun 14 with 1290 viewsI_would

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 18:49 - Jun 14 by MattFinish

Here you go fella - https://www.online-calculator.com/

You'd better give him a call and tell him how to pick a team.

Wouldn't be hard to pick a losing side. Let's hope he makes some changes this season with personnel and tactically. Hope he bins the doomed high press.

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 19:19 - Jun 14 with 1282 viewsHeisenberg

The best description of Saints I heard came from Brendan Rodgers. Loath him but he is a fine manager. He called Saints an ‘all in’ team. Anyone who plays poker will know going all in might bring the odd spectacular win but in the long run is doomed to failure. I like Ralph but he must know there is more than one way to play.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 19:29 - Jun 14 with 1262 viewsI_would

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 19:19 - Jun 14 by Heisenberg

The best description of Saints I heard came from Brendan Rodgers. Loath him but he is a fine manager. He called Saints an ‘all in’ team. Anyone who plays poker will know going all in might bring the odd spectacular win but in the long run is doomed to failure. I like Ralph but he must know there is more than one way to play.

A good description of Ralph's tactics. Against Leicester after Vest got sent off Ralph panicked and put 3 in at the back. We kept them out for 80 mins and even managed to score first. These would be decent tactics against the top 6 teams as it's futile to compete with our squad.

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 19:53 - Jun 14 with 1251 viewsMattFinish

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 19:29 - Jun 14 by I_would

A good description of Ralph's tactics. Against Leicester after Vest got sent off Ralph panicked and put 3 in at the back. We kept them out for 80 mins and even managed to score first. These would be decent tactics against the top 6 teams as it's futile to compete with our squad.

Seriously have you considered throwing your hat in for the job.
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 19:57 - Jun 14 with 1243 viewsMattFinish

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 19:05 - Jun 14 by I_would

And 44 points off being PL Champions and a few games from European Cup winners.

Totally agree, don't know what Ralph thinks he's playing at.

We were 44 points and £560m behind Man City
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 20:30 - Jun 14 with 1213 viewsI_would

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 19:53 - Jun 14 by MattFinish

Seriously have you considered throwing your hat in for the job.

If you're using 2 dodgy CB's, your FB's aren't covering and you've got 2 very slow DM's you're going to get caught on some of the high presses. It ain't rocket science. If he dumps the press next season we could get to 12th maybe. If he doesn't then we'll carry on where we left off.

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 21:28 - Jun 14 with 1188 viewssledger

bad start for ralph and hes gone,howe waiting in the wings hence hes turning down jobs,just my opinion.
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 21:29 - Jun 14 with 1188 viewsDorsetIan

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 18:47 - Jun 14 by MattFinish

But that's just my point.

We should never have been top and we should never have got to a cup semi final with that side.

God knows how Ralph got us to both with that squad. It was due to a lack of depth that we petered out. Ralph got us to a point that was unsustainable.

So I assume you think we should have finished far higher? That is completely unrealistic with this set of players.

I disagree that there were a large number of poor performances. We competed in a large number of games but when you have no option but to bring on or start with players like N'Lundulu, Tella, Jankowitz, Smallbone, Chauke, Watts it's an uphill struggle.

I agree, let's see what happens when we get a load of bargain basement signings and loans in

If you don't think that there were many poor performances, how about the many points we threw away from winning and drawing positions?

We had a really good ten game spell before Christmas that gave a false impression of how 'up and down' the season was. Apart from that spell and the Liverpool win, last season was mainly poor.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 10:17 - Jun 15 with 1123 viewsSadoldgit

I don’t think that there were too many dreadful performances last season. There were also plenty of times where we battered teams only to fail to press home our advantage with goals, run out of steam and lose the initiative. It was a very strange season not helped with Covid but a combination of losing key players and some very questionable decisions threw us a curve ball that we never really recovered from. There was plenty to be optimist about in 2020 and plenty to be pessimistic about in 2021 and Ralph has his work cut out in finding the level of consistency needed to see us through a whole season at the required level of performance. I think we all understand that a good transfer window is the key thing now. I don’t hold out much hope of Gao finding a buyer any time soon so the back room staff have their work cut out to bring in quality on a budget. Ralph has his supporters and detractors, but the truth is that any manager would struggle with the lack of depth in our squad. Unfortunately for Ralph, due to most of the performances this year, he is going to be scrutinised even more closely from game one in the new season and I can’t see many cutting him much slack if we have a slow start.
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 11:51 - Jun 15 with 1106 viewsI_would

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 10:17 - Jun 15 by Sadoldgit

I don’t think that there were too many dreadful performances last season. There were also plenty of times where we battered teams only to fail to press home our advantage with goals, run out of steam and lose the initiative. It was a very strange season not helped with Covid but a combination of losing key players and some very questionable decisions threw us a curve ball that we never really recovered from. There was plenty to be optimist about in 2020 and plenty to be pessimistic about in 2021 and Ralph has his work cut out in finding the level of consistency needed to see us through a whole season at the required level of performance. I think we all understand that a good transfer window is the key thing now. I don’t hold out much hope of Gao finding a buyer any time soon so the back room staff have their work cut out to bring in quality on a budget. Ralph has his supporters and detractors, but the truth is that any manager would struggle with the lack of depth in our squad. Unfortunately for Ralph, due to most of the performances this year, he is going to be scrutinised even more closely from game one in the new season and I can’t see many cutting him much slack if we have a slow start.

All Ralph's detractors are hoping for is for him to play a system that the whole squad buys in to and that they can sustain their performances for 90 mins without letting 3 goals in per game.

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 12:36 - Jun 15 with 1095 viewsMattFinish

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 11:51 - Jun 15 by I_would

All Ralph's detractors are hoping for is for him to play a system that the whole squad buys in to and that they can sustain their performances for 90 mins without letting 3 goals in per game.

We faded at the second half of last season because we don't have strength in depth. When players got injured or lost form, which happens to all teams we had no back up. You've got to remember also that there was less of a break between seasons which had an effect.
This transfer window Ralph has been told no signings over £10m. We need probably 7 to 8 players if we don't sell anyone. That's £80m. To raise that money we'll have to sell Ings, Vestergaard, JWP and Bertrand. So after we've replaced those 4 with cheaper options we'll only have enough money to bring in 4 additional players.
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 12:57 - Jun 15 with 1083 viewsBicester_North

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 21:29 - Jun 14 by DorsetIan

If you don't think that there were many poor performances, how about the many points we threw away from winning and drawing positions?

We had a really good ten game spell before Christmas that gave a false impression of how 'up and down' the season was. Apart from that spell and the Liverpool win, last season was mainly poor.

Poor or terrible matches
Palace A
Spurs H
Man U H
Villa H
Arsenal H
Leicester A
Man U A
Newcastle A
Wolves H
Leeds A
Everton A
Man C A
Brighton H
West Brom A
Spurs A
Liverpool A
Leeds H
West Ham A

So that’s 18 poor or worse
20 decent or good

The problem is some of those were so shockingly bad it exaggerated things

Man U, Newcastle, West Ham etc
[Post edited 15 Jun 2021 12:58]

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 14:16 - Jun 15 with 1042 viewsSonicBoom

I think we could change the word "poor" for disappointing.

There were indeed many games where we looked pretty good only to let in a goal then collapse. If we weren't ahead by half time then we knew we would probably concede.
We were rarely rubbish from the start.

Unfortunately we lost more points from winning positions than almost anyone else. I think that's true, I can't be arsed to research it. Yes we have a thin squad but that also points toward a lack of game management and tactics. It happen too often to be a coincidence.
also didn't we have the worst defensive record in the league? Worse than the relegated clubs? Again ok we don't have the players, but it also appeared that despite making the same mistakes we never changed our approach at all. We were playing exactly the same in March as we were in December. Surely if you are shipping goals at an alarming rate you change things? God forbid we ever get Big Sam, but when he went to a club on the slide the first thing he did is attempt to shut the back door. Once you stop conceding you can start worrying about the other end. We did not seem to learn all season.
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 14:16 - Jun 15 with 1042 viewsSadoldgit

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 12:57 - Jun 15 by Bicester_North

Poor or terrible matches
Palace A
Spurs H
Man U H
Villa H
Arsenal H
Leicester A
Man U A
Newcastle A
Wolves H
Leeds A
Everton A
Man C A
Brighton H
West Brom A
Spurs A
Liverpool A
Leeds H
West Ham A

So that’s 18 poor or worse
20 decent or good

The problem is some of those were so shockingly bad it exaggerated things

Man U, Newcastle, West Ham etc
[Post edited 15 Jun 2021 12:58]

I think in many matches we had a good half and a poor half so perhaps it is unfair to label the whole performance as poor.
Anyway I just found out that 2 of my daughters have got firsts at Glasgow Uni today so I am off to crack open the bubbly and will worry about us again later. That’s all 3 daughters with firsts now! GIF knows where they got their brains from 🤪
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 14:21 - Jun 15 with 1038 viewsBison

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 14:16 - Jun 15 by Sadoldgit

I think in many matches we had a good half and a poor half so perhaps it is unfair to label the whole performance as poor.
Anyway I just found out that 2 of my daughters have got firsts at Glasgow Uni today so I am off to crack open the bubbly and will worry about us again later. That’s all 3 daughters with firsts now! GIF knows where they got their brains from 🤪

The milkman

Congratulations SoG's too you and your girls , don't get the bubbles up your nose.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 14:27 - Jun 15 with 1035 viewsSadoldgit

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 14:21 - Jun 15 by Bison

The milkman

Congratulations SoG's too you and your girls , don't get the bubbles up your nose.

You could well be right Bison! And thank you 👍
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 16:22 - Jun 15 with 1006 viewsMattFinish

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 14:16 - Jun 15 by Sadoldgit

Congratulations, what have they got them in?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024