Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Look it's just us here.... 14:15 - Sep 23 with 3037 viewsSonicBoom

What do we actually think of womens football?
We are being force fed it all the time now.

These days Sky will cut to a match and get live updates from a womens game whilst the mens games are on. They even include goals from womens games in their goals of the week packages.
The written media all carry womens stories in amongst the mens stuff - and most tv stations carry live games of club and international matches.

From a parental point of view I don't mind it, it's good to promote sport to girls and that can only be a good thing. Also there is no reason women shouldn't play football - and the standard is not too bad.
From the point of view of a grumpy git that started going to football in the bad old days of the early 80's I can't find any enthusiasm. I'm often caught out as they talk about Arsenal V Spurs or whatever and I suddenly realise they are talking about the womens game.
I do think that the womens game is receiving coverage and promotion that it currently doesn't justify. The media are pushing it hard and maybe it will work and bring in viewers and crowds. Obviously the plan is to promote it hard in the hope that at some point in the future it can stand on its merits. I wouldn't presume to say whether this is viable or not, we'll see.
Personally I have very little interest but I'm not the target audience. Maybe we'll look back in 20 years when the women's games are pulling in decent crowds and realise this is where it all started. Or maybe it'll disappear from our screens in 5 years who knows. I know I'm unlikely to be watching either way.
Look it's just us here.... on 14:40 - Sep 24 with 959 viewsChesham_Saint

Look it's just us here.... on 14:11 - Sep 24 by Sadoldgit

There are plenty of crap male pundits so why can’t we have crap female pundits too? It has been quite refreshing to see new faces appear. The only way people will improve is to be given air time and eventually the wheat will be sorted from the chaff, although Andy Townsend still makes a living as a pundit. Plenty of women watch football and if this encourages more then surely it is a good thing.

Why even consider anyone crap? All this does is drag things down to the lowest common denominator. With all the media training pros get theses days you’d think it wouldn’t be that hard to identify someone who’s articulate with a bit of charisma and high end knowledge would you?

And by the way, I see your Townsend and raise you a Robbie Savage…!

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Look it's just us here.... on 15:55 - Sep 24 with 925 viewsSadoldgit

Look it's just us here.... on 14:40 - Sep 24 by Chesham_Saint

Why even consider anyone crap? All this does is drag things down to the lowest common denominator. With all the media training pros get theses days you’d think it wouldn’t be that hard to identify someone who’s articulate with a bit of charisma and high end knowledge would you?

I gave up listening to the pundits some time ago. At least some of them are worth looking at now! 😉
Look it's just us here.... on 16:35 - Sep 24 with 912 viewskingslandstand1

Look it's just us here.... on 14:40 - Sep 24 by Chesham_Saint

And I'll raise you Garth Crooks!

Re the training etc, that is a valid point but there are also other boxes that need "ticking"
Look it's just us here.... on 17:16 - Sep 24 with 897 viewsChesham_Saint

Look it's just us here.... on 16:35 - Sep 24 by kingslandstand1

And I'll raise you Garth Crooks!

Re the training etc, that is a valid point but there are also other boxes that need "ticking"

To which I respond with…..Paul Merson!🤣

Look it's just us here.... on 19:48 - Sep 24 with 872 viewsSadoldgit

Look it's just us here.... on 17:16 - Sep 24 by Chesham_Saint

To which I respond with…..Paul Merson!🤣

All credit to you guys. You have managed to trump mine several times over. I would throw in Alan Brazil but don’t think he qualifies as a pundit, just a presenter?
Look it's just us here.... on 22:17 - Sep 24 with 845 viewsWints76

Had this conversation with a couple of members of this board in De Hems Dutch Bar in Soho last night. I am normally quite woke or whatever, but yeh, the women's game is getting attention it hasn't earned and I'm not sure it is healthy.

I can watch any football on TV and will find interest in it. One of the reasons for that is knowing fans of many other teams, and also appreciating the culture and sub culture of games. Watching something like Chelsea v Leeds and you know there's a bit of needle because of the early 70s and also the two sets of fans and their reputations. These things have grown organically over the years. You can't just put two women's teams together and assume that the same people will want to watch it. That interest needs to be nurtured over the years, not just giving it equal importance straight away
[Post edited 24 Sep 2021 22:44]
Look it's just us here.... on 23:15 - Sep 24 with 826 viewspjt50

Look it's just us here.... on 22:17 - Sep 24 by Wints76

Had this conversation with a couple of members of this board in De Hems Dutch Bar in Soho last night. I am normally quite woke or whatever, but yeh, the women's game is getting attention it hasn't earned and I'm not sure it is healthy.

I can watch any football on TV and will find interest in it. One of the reasons for that is knowing fans of many other teams, and also appreciating the culture and sub culture of games. Watching something like Chelsea v Leeds and you know there's a bit of needle because of the early 70s and also the two sets of fans and their reputations. These things have grown organically over the years. You can't just put two women's teams together and assume that the same people will want to watch it. That interest needs to be nurtured over the years, not just giving it equal importance straight away

If somebody doesn't want to watch women's football on TV that's fine. Surely there's more than enough other stuff they can watch. It's not necessarily aimed at existing supporters of men's football & why should it be? If there's no demand, eventually it will disappear from our screens.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Look it's just us here.... on 00:30 - Sep 25 with 812 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Look it's just us here.... on 22:17 - Sep 24 by Wints76

I don't read much news online as it's generally sh*t. Poor quality 'journalism', poor grammar, constant references to f**king social media and generally quite vacuous and inane. However on the off chance I load up the news and I see something like "Man City lose 7-0 against Arsenal", my interest is piqued as that is highly unusual and I wasn't aware there was football on, click on it, women's football.

Why not make it clear from the start that it's women's football? I have no problem with it and have watched some on TV recently as it's been on, but it's the click bait, trying to make everything the same level that is pissing me off.

Dinosaur etc., I don't care, I just want the headlines to state clearly what they're referring to. Actually that doesn't just apply to women's football, but that's another rant.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Login to get fewer ads

Look it's just us here.... on 07:34 - Sep 25 with 787 viewsHeisenberg

Personally I’m sick and tired of them flouncing around and screaming every time they get tackled. They will be wearing make up next and rocking imaginary babies when they score.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Look it's just us here.... on 08:14 - Sep 25 with 777 viewssaint68

It's shit

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Look it's just us here.... on 12:52 - Sep 25 with 748 viewsBison

Look it's just us here.... on 12:41 - Sep 24 by Sadoldgit

It is the same sport. The quality levels are different. Same as tennis. You can’t compare them the same way you compare Saints and Aston Villa say. No one tunes in to a current women’s game expecting to see a Man City type performance. It doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a value though and it does have an audience and interest is growing. Should we separate all women’s sports reports from men’s? Have a segregated Olympics? I really don’t see a problem.

My son just gone upto 'big' school.

The girls are allowed to trial for the boys teams but the boys not for the girls team.

Scouts , there are girls in scouts but boys not allowed to join the Girl Guides.

Equality my arse. Why let the girls play in the boys team when you know in a year or 2 that they will just not be good or strong enough so its stopping the development of potential good boy players. Look at the comparison when a bunch of 14 year olds boys beat the USA World Champions womens team.

Whats worse than a girl guide in your pocket ?

A Brownie in your pants....

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Look it's just us here.... on 13:07 - Sep 25 with 739 viewsSaintsforeverj

I've no problem at all with women playing football if they want to. I've no problem watching some of the women games. But in my opinion, they should not be explaining how the men's teams can win a massive derby, win a title or avoid relegation, when they don't know. They haven't played in front of 80 000 fans baying for blood, they haven't played under the pressure that the men are under, so again they don't know. They can have an opinion ofcourse and some of the men might have opinions we don't agree with, but they have experienced the thing they are talking about. In the same way that I wouldn't take much notice of man explaining how a women should give birth because a man has never done that before. Or have they?

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Look it's just us here.... on 14:47 - Sep 29 with 640 viewspjt50

Look it's just us here.... on 13:07 - Sep 25 by Saintsforeverj

I've no problem at all with women playing football if they want to. I've no problem watching some of the women games. But in my opinion, they should not be explaining how the men's teams can win a massive derby, win a title or avoid relegation, when they don't know. They haven't played in front of 80 000 fans baying for blood, they haven't played under the pressure that the men are under, so again they don't know. They can have an opinion ofcourse and some of the men might have opinions we don't agree with, but they have experienced the thing they are talking about. In the same way that I wouldn't take much notice of man explaining how a women should give birth because a man has never done that before. Or have they?

What about male obstetricians?

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Look it's just us here.... on 18:43 - Sep 29 with 568 viewsSonicBoom

Look it's just us here.... on 23:15 - Sep 24 by pjt50

If somebody doesn't want to watch women's football on TV that's fine. Surely there's more than enough other stuff they can watch. It's not necessarily aimed at existing supporters of men's football & why should it be? If there's no demand, eventually it will disappear from our screens.

The point is they deliberately mislead you with headlines that don't tellyou its women's football.
And they mix women's and men's football on purpose so you are force fed. If they actually put womens football on separately then that would be fine, and yes you could choose to not watch.
But by mixing it all they can skew the viewing figures.
Look it's just us here.... on 08:38 - Sep 30 with 504 viewskentsouthampton

Misogyny is still thriving then.
Look it's just us here.... on 08:57 - Sep 30 with 490 viewskentsouthampton

Look it's just us here.... on 12:01 - Sep 30 with 449 viewsBerber

Anyone who has followed their team from the Premiership to League One and back knows full well that there is plenty of low grade men's professional football.

Whilst I don't really follow Women's top level football, when I have watched it, I have found it to be skilful and tactically interesting, but at a slower pace than the current men's game. But this is the same for most Women's sports. There have been some slick moves and cracking goals too.

I do find it annoying though that the media have taken to mixing reporting in with the men's game for the reason's given above. I don't bother looking at the BBC website football pages any more for this reason. They can be bothered to separate PL from Championship and League 1, so why mix in the women's game with the men's?
Look it's just us here.... on 13:35 - Sep 30 with 415 viewsKennington

Not got an issue with women’s sport other than it needs to be clearly marked as women’s sport. For example the BBC Sport app today has a headline India and Aus test finally poised. Well I’m thinking there’s no such test and then I click to check and it’s the women’s game, I don’t mind if the men’s game is labelled too, but I’ve made so many pointless clicks over the past year or so ago thinking I’m looking at something but just wasting my time.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Look it's just us here.... on 16:58 - Sep 30 with 378 viewsChesham_Saint

Look it's just us here.... on 08:38 - Sep 30 by kentsouthampton

Misogyny is still thriving then.

Bollix.

Look it's just us here.... on 17:13 - Sep 30 with 376 viewsBazza

Look it's just us here.... on 16:58 - Sep 30 by Chesham_Saint

Bollix.

Why not moan at boy's playing less skilful football, or Sunday leagues.
My annoyance is also, as others have said, the way woman's games are not advertised as such.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024