Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Saints away support 21:40 - Oct 19 with 2103 viewsgrumpy

Has to be the Semi Final at Stamford Bridge in 76.
Best Saints away support on 21:50 - Oct 19 with 2073 viewsSaintsforeverj

In terms of numbers at an away game, Dellhurst park was a great day with more than 10 000 away fans that day in the great escape year 98 / 99.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 21:51]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Best Saints away support on 22:02 - Oct 19 with 2045 viewsSalisburySaint

Best Saints away support on 21:50 - Oct 19 by Saintsforeverj

In terms of numbers at an away game, Dellhurst park was a great day with more than 10 000 away fans that day in the great escape year 98 / 99.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 21:51]

Forest away Fa cup 77, when we had around 12,000 there, whole of the Trent End, one section down the side and loads in the Seats was superb

As was the support from 10,000 at West Brom in cup in 76
Best Saints away support on 22:18 - Oct 19 with 2019 views1ASIN12

Portsmouth in the cup in 84
Sheffield Wednesday in the cup the same year ( I think ?)
Derby in the play offs
Best Saints away support on 22:32 - Oct 19 with 2004 viewsdarthvader

Best Saints away support on 22:18 - Oct 19 by 1ASIN12

Portsmouth in the cup in 84
Sheffield Wednesday in the cup the same year ( I think ?)
Derby in the play offs

Spurs in the fa cup i think it was 1990 we won 3-1 remember le tis celebrating his goal right in front of me .

Flashbacks of drinking neat vodka on the stand behind goal
6000+ i think ?? Those were the days

keep the faith coyr

Best Saints away support on 22:56 - Oct 19 with 1984 viewsdirk_doone

Best Saints away support on 22:32 - Oct 19 by darthvader

Spurs in the fa cup i think it was 1990 we won 3-1 remember le tis celebrating his goal right in front of me .

Flashbacks of drinking neat vodka on the stand behind goal
6000+ i think ?? Those were the days

We took 10,000 to White Hart Lane in 1966 and packed the whole Park Lane End with Saints fans, who never stopped singing. You couldn't hear Spurs fans at all. We took 15,000 to Orient a few months earlier and filled three sides of the ground. But, the best away support, by far, taking into account factors like distance travelled and noise made was the 13,000 at the City Ground in 1977. The replay at the Dell was just about the noisiest and most hostile atmosphere ever produced there. The few hundred Forest fans hid up in the The Upper West Stand. If there were any at all on the terraces, they kept themselves very quiet.

As for the semi-final at Stamford Bridge in 1976, which I was also at, described by one of the papers as the noisiest Stamford Bridge had ever been, that was a neutral venue and we were given the home end, The Shed, so that doesn't really count but I still preferred it to the final at Wembley, where Man United fans filled much of the ground. From the point of view of our support, the '79 League Cup Final was much better and so was the '76 Charity Shield..

Inter Milan was a good turnout. Considering the distance and numbers, it must be up there but I wasn't there so I can't speak from personal experience about that one.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 23:26]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Best Saints away support on 23:37 - Oct 19 with 1921 views1teeminants

Orient 1978
Bristol Rovers 1978
Dell hurst park
Sheff Wed fa cup quarter final
Milan
Vitesse Arnhem
Stamford Bridge 76
Wembley 76
Moran Fratton 84
Forest filling The Trent end and more

I saw them all.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Best Saints away support on 09:45 - Oct 20 with 1763 viewsSaintNick

Best Saints away support on 22:56 - Oct 19 by dirk_doone

We took 10,000 to White Hart Lane in 1966 and packed the whole Park Lane End with Saints fans, who never stopped singing. You couldn't hear Spurs fans at all. We took 15,000 to Orient a few months earlier and filled three sides of the ground. But, the best away support, by far, taking into account factors like distance travelled and noise made was the 13,000 at the City Ground in 1977. The replay at the Dell was just about the noisiest and most hostile atmosphere ever produced there. The few hundred Forest fans hid up in the The Upper West Stand. If there were any at all on the terraces, they kept themselves very quiet.

As for the semi-final at Stamford Bridge in 1976, which I was also at, described by one of the papers as the noisiest Stamford Bridge had ever been, that was a neutral venue and we were given the home end, The Shed, so that doesn't really count but I still preferred it to the final at Wembley, where Man United fans filled much of the ground. From the point of view of our support, the '79 League Cup Final was much better and so was the '76 Charity Shield..

Inter Milan was a good turnout. Considering the distance and numbers, it must be up there but I wasn't there so I can't speak from personal experience about that one.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 23:26]

Not sure there was 13, 000 at the City Ground in 1977, we had the Trent End that held about 5,000 and then one section of the side both seats and terracing, I would have said we had about 10,000 tops, but we made a lot of noise as we had the only covered terracing in the ground.

One game not mentioned was the 12,000 taken to West Brom in the 5th round 1976, that was truly a big away support and in a covered end noisy as well .

Bizarrely we only took about 3,500 to Bradford in the quarter final leaving 500 tickets unsold as the prices had gone up

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Best Saints away support on 10:39 - Oct 20 with 1733 viewsSalisburySaint

Best Saints away support on 09:45 - Oct 20 by SaintNick

Not sure there was 13, 000 at the City Ground in 1977, we had the Trent End that held about 5,000 and then one section of the side both seats and terracing, I would have said we had about 10,000 tops, but we made a lot of noise as we had the only covered terracing in the ground.

One game not mentioned was the 12,000 taken to West Brom in the 5th round 1976, that was truly a big away support and in a covered end noisy as well .

Bizarrely we only took about 3,500 to Bradford in the quarter final leaving 500 tickets unsold as the prices had gone up

I did mention West Brom in post early on in this thread

as for Forest we not only had Trent End but also a large section on the side of ground plus loads in seats

i was in a section the far end of the main stand with at least 1,000 other Saints fans that if you were in the Trent area you wouldn't have realised, plus their were also some other Saints fans in seats at back of stand on opposite side of the ground, so 12k is my estimate for that game
Login to get fewer ads

Best Saints away support on 11:05 - Oct 20 with 1724 viewsdirk_doone

Best Saints away support on 09:45 - Oct 20 by SaintNick

I'm sure and so are Forest fans. The attendance that day was 38,324, for a 4th round cup match. It was easily their biggest attendance of the season. They had 12,000 for their 3rd round game v Bristol Rovers. Forest's average home gate that season was 18,082, a big improvement on the 12,805 average they had in 1976, but still a long way short of 38,324. The attraction of a fourth round cup match against Southampton might have added another 5,000 home fans but not 20,000 more than their season's average home gate..

As for the capacity of the Trent End, you are completely wrong about that. In the late 70s it could comfortably take 10,000 and we were packed in like sardines that day, well beyond the safe limit. A terraced home end with a capacity of only 5,000 would have looked ridiculously small in a ground with a capacity of 47,000, with seating at the sides.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2021 13:34]

Best Saints away support on 11:15 - Oct 20 with 1707 views1885_SFC

Milan away will always be the one that sticks in my mind. A great few days away - the flight, the hotel, the city itself, food and drink by the canal zone, the stadium/game itself and Saints fans everywhere you went!

Roll on Saints ever getting back to playing in Europe.

Old School is Cool

Best Saints away support on 11:32 - Oct 20 with 1689 viewsSaintNick

Best Saints away support on 11:05 - Oct 20 by dirk_doone

I'm sure and so are Forest fans. The attendance that day was 38,324, for a 4th round cup match. It was easily their biggest attendance of the season. They had 12,000 for their 3rd round game v Bristol Rovers. Forest's average home gate that season was 18,082, a big improvement on the 12,805 average they had in 1976, but still a long way short of 38,324. The attraction of a fourth round cup match against Southampton might have added another 5,000 home fans but not 20,000 more than their season's average home gate..

As for the capacity of the Trent End, you are completely wrong about that. In the late 70s it could comfortably take 10,000 and we were packed in like sardines that day, well beyond the safe limit. A terraced home end with a capacity of only 5,000 would have looked ridiculously small in a ground with a capacity of 47,000, with seating at the sides.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2021 13:34]

Back then the City ground held about 47,000, so you are saying that the Trent End would have made up almost a quarter of that attendance.

Given that the opposite end was more than twice the size of the Trent end and that the stand to the left had a terrace at the front which again would have held at least twice that i would say that perhaps 5,000 is low, but no more than about 7,000, maybe 7,500 at a push

Forest were promoted that season and there top crowd was around 32,000 , so they had a sizable support and cup games were a lot more popular then, the cup replay crowd was 6,000 up on the league game and a sell out, but there was hardly a forest fan in sight

This post has been edited by an administrator

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Best Saints away support on 11:34 - Oct 20 with 1685 viewsdwayne_dibley

Torquay was nice

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Best Saints away support on 13:32 - Oct 20 with 1596 viewsfranniesTache

In my lifetime i'd say Derby play offs, Dellhurst, Anfield in the cup semi final (for noise), Arnhem and Milan, Fratton in the league cup 4-0 for just being a proper rowdy away end.

Also a lot of the away supports in league one/championship were class, shame how bad our away support is now.

Can't argue the numbers but the only songs that are sung are oh when the saints and when our fans have an outbreak of colour induced tourettes and shout the shirt colour every time they see a player.
Best Saints away support on 13:33 - Oct 20 with 1590 viewsPatfromPoole

Derby in the play-offs was probably the best away support I have ever seen from our fans.

Was properly immense.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Best Saints away support on 13:39 - Oct 20 with 1586 views1885_SFC

Best Saints away support on 13:33 - Oct 20 by PatfromPoole

Derby in the play-offs was probably the best away support I have ever seen from our fans.

Was properly immense.

Just the memory of that monsoon rain exiting the ground afterwards fills me with dread. I didn't dry out until I got back to the M27...

Old School is Cool

Best Saints away support on 13:51 - Oct 20 with 1565 viewsSalisburySaint

Best Saints away support on 13:33 - Oct 20 by PatfromPoole

Was properly immense.

the turn out and vocal support that night was something special, even though we lost that game I still rate it as one of my top away days watching Saints
Best Saints away support on 17:13 - Oct 20 with 1486 viewsBicester_North

Best Saints away support on 13:32 - Oct 20 by franniesTache

In my lifetime i'd say Derby play offs, Dellhurst, Anfield in the cup semi final (for noise), Arnhem and Milan, Fratton in the league cup 4-0 for just being a proper rowdy away end.

Also a lot of the away supports in league one/championship were class, shame how bad our away support is now.

Can't argue the numbers but the only songs that are sung are oh when the saints and when our fans have an outbreak of colour induced tourettes and shout the shirt colour every time they see a player.

I’d like to add West Ham away 94 ish when we stayed up on the last day.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Best Saints away support on 19:57 - Oct 20 with 1399 viewsPatfromPoole

Best Saints away support on 17:13 - Oct 20 by Bicester_North

I’d like to add West Ham away 94 ish when we stayed up on the last day.

Yeah, that was a good one as well.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Best Saints away support on 15:03 - Oct 21 with 1236 viewsSouthSeaSaint

You're all young whippersnappers.

Best away support was on 8th April 1963, FA Cup 2nd Re-play at White Hart Lane.

Crowd was 45,000 and the estimate was that there were between 25-30,000 Saints fans there to see 2nd Division Saints play 1st Division Nottm Forest.
Saints had drawn 1-1 at the City Ground and come back from 3-0 down with 16 mins left to draw 3-3 in one of the best ever atmospheres at The Dell.

There was no M3 in those days and those Saints fans relying on road transport were pouring in the ground after half time.

In my recollection there were very few Forest fans there and when our 5 goals were scored the whole ground erupted so ig there were any neutrals there they were Saints fans for the day.

We also took around 30,000 to Villa Park for the semi final with many, including myself, going on specially chartered trains.

Those were the days!!!!!
[Post edited 21 Oct 2021 15:05]
Best Saints away support on 15:12 - Oct 21 with 1220 viewsdirk_doone

Best Saints away support on 15:03 - Oct 21 by SouthSeaSaint

You're all young whippersnappers.

Best away support was on 8th April 1963, FA Cup 2nd Re-play at White Hart Lane.

Crowd was 45,000 and the estimate was that there were between 25-30,000 Saints fans there to see 2nd Division Saints play 1st Division Nottm Forest.
Saints had drawn 1-1 at the City Ground and come back from 3-0 down with 16 mins left to draw 3-3 in one of the best ever atmospheres at The Dell.

There was no M3 in those days and those Saints fans relying on road transport were pouring in the ground after half time.

In my recollection there were very few Forest fans there and when our 5 goals were scored the whole ground erupted so ig there were any neutrals there they were Saints fans for the day.

We also took around 30,000 to Villa Park for the semi final with many, including myself, going on specially chartered trains.

Those were the days!!!!!
[Post edited 21 Oct 2021 15:05]

Thanks for that, Southsea. it was just before my time but I did wonder about that one. The numbers that travelled in the 60s were sometimes spectacular and have never really been beaten since. There were far more at Orient in '66, for example, than there were in '78 and I was at both of them.

Best Saints away support on 15:36 - Oct 21 with 1210 viewsBarnetSaint

Best Saints away support on 15:12 - Oct 21 by dirk_doone

Thanks for that, Southsea. it was just before my time but I did wonder about that one. The numbers that travelled in the 60s were sometimes spectacular and have never really been beaten since. There were far more at Orient in '66, for example, than there were in '78 and I was at both of them.

Going back to Forest in 77, not mentioned was the fact we had fans in the big open end opposite, i know cos i was in there!
Best Saints away support on 15:50 - Oct 21 with 1206 viewsdirk_doone

Best Saints away support on 15:36 - Oct 21 by BarnetSaint

Going back to Forest in 77, not mentioned was the fact we had fans in the big open end opposite, i know cos i was in there!

Yes, the Bridgford End was the official away end . The fact that the gate was 38,000 and their season's average home gate was 18,000, and they only had 12,000 for their 3rd round game, is an indication of just how many Saints fans were in the City Ground that day. The attraction of a 4th round cup game against Southampton might have added an extra 5,000 home fans to the gate but not 20,000.

Often when there are claims of a big away following in the days when away fans were never counted separately, it's quite telling to look at the home team's other gates that season.

For example, when Little Pompey claim they had their biggest ever away support of 12,000 (recently, some of them have even bumped it up to 15,000 lol) for a League Cup Quarter-final at Anfield 40 years ago, the total attendance was only 32,021, compared to Liverpool's average home gate that season of 37,547 and they had a gate of 41,575 for their game v Southampton just after that Pompey game. So, you can see the Pompey claims don't add up. Liverpool simply wouldn't have had that few home fans at a quarter-final.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2021 16:21]

Best Saints away support on 17:02 - Oct 21 with 1167 viewsgrumpy

Best Saints away support on 15:36 - Oct 21 by BarnetSaint

I remember that day,boy!was it cold
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024