Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New owner - new ground? 16:44 - Jan 5 with 3720 viewssaint901

I don't know much about Mr Solak but I hope he takes a real interest in his new acquisition.

If so, can I ask that he consider moving the stadium - pretty please?

Anybody coming into Sampton for a match finds the stadium an utter PITA to get to, park nearby, get out of, and leave the city. It should never have been put where it was.

Instead sell the land for housing - which is what all the surrounding property is going for and use the money to build something out near the motorway.

The sites near the old Transit factory look favourite to me. Easy access, good links into and out of town. A railway line ready.

I seem to think that Rupert whatshisface tried to build a stadium out there and got outline permission? He then got greedy and wanted a hotel, shops, residential and the planners said no.

Perhaps it would be a good time to try again and build a bigger (40k) stadium?
New owner - new ground? on 16:48 - Jan 5 with 1891 viewssaints__fan__73

Yes, an out of town stadium, just what the club is crying out for.

We can't even sell out this stadium so why on earth would we want a bigger one?

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

New owner - new ground? on 17:05 - Jan 5 with 1848 viewsstmichael

No thanks
A horrific idea

Poll: Do we bring back Bernard at the weekend or stick with Bree?

New owner - new ground? on 17:08 - Jan 5 with 1836 viewsBicester_North

What a waste of money that would be. Most people who actually live in Southampton like it where it is, in the heart of the city with plenty of pubs around, easy walk to Central or Woolston. F*ck becoming the next soulless Reading type ground.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

New owner - new ground? on 17:14 - Jan 5 with 1822 viewsSaintsforeverj

I like the ground being close to the city centre. If ever we needed to, we could extend St Mary's but to be honest 32 000 is about right for us.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

New owner - new ground? on 17:14 - Jan 5 with 1819 viewsTripleNiemi

Cannot fill 32k - no need to build a new out of town stadium.

Mind you, if it meant a home stand of circa 20k we could call the 2nd Kop then let's crack on......

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

New owner - new ground? on 17:18 - Jan 5 with 1811 viewsBicester_North

New owner - new ground? on 17:14 - Jan 5 by Saintsforeverj

I like the ground being close to the city centre. If ever we needed to, we could extend St Mary's but to be honest 32 000 is about right for us.

I don’t love St Mary’s as a stadium, if there was a way of sorting safe standing or moving the away fans that would be nice, but this has been done to death many times.
But the location is absolutely fine.

New owner - new ground? on 17:22 - Jan 5 with 1794 viewsTripleNiemi

New owner - new ground? on 17:18 - Jan 5 by Bicester_North

I don’t love St Mary’s as a stadium, if there was a way of sorting safe standing or moving the away fans that would be nice, but this has been done to death many times.

I agree, St Marys is a pretty 'bang average' stadium similar to the rest built around that era; that said, it is in the City and close to some boozers (unlike places such as the Amex)

New owner - new ground? on 17:22 - Jan 5 with 1794 viewsgrumpy

New owner - new ground? on 17:18 - Jan 5 by Bicester_North

Location is fine.
Just somehow please give us our own end.
Login to get fewer ads

New owner - new ground? on 17:26 - Jan 5 with 1776 viewsTripleNiemi

New owner - new ground? on 17:22 - Jan 5 by grumpy

Location is fine.
Just somehow please give us our own end.

Need that Kop stand behind the Northam with no away fans.....worth an extra 45 points a season.....

New owner - new ground? on 17:31 - Jan 5 with 1769 viewsCapt_Koons

New owner - new ground? on 17:08 - Jan 5 by Bicester_North

What a waste of money that would be. Most people who actually live in Southampton like it where it is, in the heart of the city with plenty of pubs around, easy walk to Central or Woolston. F*ck becoming the next soulless Reading type ground.

Agreed. One of the things Rupert Lowe got right, building the stadium in the heart of the community.

Poll: If our new manager is a success, which club will he be managing in 2 years time?

New owner - new ground? on 17:35 - Jan 5 with 1755 viewsHeisenberg

And the nominees for worst idea of 2022 are………..

Ridiculous idea. Let’s all drive to the middle of nowhere and have a beer in a packed spoons.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

New owner - new ground? on 17:38 - Jan 5 with 1746 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

What an hilarious thread

The guy has just forked out 100m or 150m, and maybe is paying off the 70m debt, and you also want a brand new stadium

He sounds really dodgy, I expect he will be using your club as a means of laundering his money, I would think the last thing on his mind is building a new stadium when the current one will be fine for another 15/20 years.

I expect he also thinks your academy will be producing sublime talent every year, whilst relying on the Xgoals stats which has already been used to hoover up all the Danish talent for Brentford. Which nation next? as a lot of other clubs will now be using the same formula. I half expect them to concentrate on Germany or another scando nation next. It worked well at Brentford, but so many other clubs will be doing the same.

Brand new stadium
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 17:43]

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

New owner - new ground? on 17:40 - Jan 5 with 1735 viewsBuggalugs

Even with some stiff competition, this hands down wins shitest post of the year.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

New owner - new ground? on 18:19 - Jan 5 with 1664 viewssaint901

OK, just me who finds it inconvenient and expensive to get to and frustrating to drive out of town.

I must be the only out of towner who actually goes to matches.
New owner - new ground? on 18:19 - Jan 5 with 1659 viewsBicester_North

New owner - new ground? on 18:19 - Jan 5 by saint901

OK, just me who finds it inconvenient and expensive to get to and frustrating to drive out of town.

I think Dorset Ian does as well, if he can find any petrol
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 18:20]

New owner - new ground? on 18:20 - Jan 5 with 1655 viewsTripleNiemi

No and No

New owner - new ground? on 18:25 - Jan 5 with 1644 views1885_SFC

You're far from that! I reckon more people travel to St Marys from out of town than actually live in the city itself... considerably more.

Old School is Cool

New owner - new ground? on 18:34 - Jan 5 with 1630 viewscocklebreath

Awful idea, we might have a sh!t bowl like Leicester but at least it’s not on a roundabout.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

New owner - new ground? on 18:35 - Jan 5 with 1626 viewsgrumpy

New owner - new ground? on 17:38 - Jan 5 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

What an hilarious thread

The guy has just forked out 100m or 150m, and maybe is paying off the 70m debt, and you also want a brand new stadium

He sounds really dodgy, I expect he will be using your club as a means of laundering his money, I would think the last thing on his mind is building a new stadium when the current one will be fine for another 15/20 years.

I expect he also thinks your academy will be producing sublime talent every year, whilst relying on the Xgoals stats which has already been used to hoover up all the Danish talent for Brentford. Which nation next? as a lot of other clubs will now be using the same formula. I half expect them to concentrate on Germany or another scando nation next. It worked well at Brentford, but so many other clubs will be doing the same.

Brand new stadium
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 17:43]

A Pompey fan telling us about people sounding dodgy and new stadiums, you couldn't make it up.
New owner - new ground? on 18:39 - Jan 5 with 1611 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

New owner - new ground? on 18:35 - Jan 5 by grumpy

A Pompey fan telling us about people sounding dodgy and new stadiums, you couldn't make it up.

We are the experts on this, we have seen it all before, just like you lot know all about 'competing'

New owner - new ground? on 18:43 - Jan 5 with 1599 viewsgrumpy

'We are the experts on this'
New owner - new ground? on 18:49 - Jan 5 with 1588 viewsSaintsforeverj

New owner - new ground? on 18:25 - Jan 5 by 1885_SFC

You're far from that! I reckon more people travel to St Marys from out of town than actually live in the city itself... considerably more.

Never really thought about it, but I think you're right. A lot of people do come to the game from outside the city. I don't live in the city centre and never have. Some do naturally live around the ground, but many people living in the inner city areas are foreign (Polish, and from other lands) and support other teams or don't like football, especially in St Mary's street. Nonetheless, I like coming to the city for a football game as everything you might need is near by, pubs, restaurants, public transport etc.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 18:51]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

New owner - new ground? on 18:52 - Jan 5 with 1578 viewsSouthSeaSaint

The fact of life here is that Rupert Lowe (for all his faults) did a deal with Barr Construction to build St Marys for £32m.
It would probably cost that much to extend the capacity to 40k.
Spurs have a fantastic ground but the near on £1billion cost is likely to hamper their spending going forward.>
Meantime Everton have a similar challenge with a new stadium costed in at around £660m.
Down the road Pompey are unable to match player wages paid to big clubs like Wigan(!!) as they have to spend a couple of million to keep 'The Old Girl' on life support.
New owner - new ground? on 18:53 - Jan 5 with 1570 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

New owner - new ground? on 18:52 - Jan 5 by SouthSeaSaint

The fact of life here is that Rupert Lowe (for all his faults) did a deal with Barr Construction to build St Marys for £32m.
It would probably cost that much to extend the capacity to 40k.
Spurs have a fantastic ground but the near on £1billion cost is likely to hamper their spending going forward.>
Meantime Everton have a similar challenge with a new stadium costed in at around £660m.
Down the road Pompey are unable to match player wages paid to big clubs like Wigan(!!) as they have to spend a couple of million to keep 'The Old Girl' on life support.

Once all the Health & Safety is complete, there will be no holding us back
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 18:54]

New owner - new ground? on 18:54 - Jan 5 with 1569 viewsBazza

I think the current location is poor. As an out of towner it’s a real pain to access even the season ticket parking can be 20 mins walk through the worst part of town. Without allocated parking you can spend ages looking for parking on Saturdays.
Perhaps I was spoilt by going to USA baseball where you could park outside with crowds over 40000.

However I do think moving location will be the last priority in the new owners agenda/budget
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024