Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
30 years ago today 17:21 - Mar 29 with 1860 viewsPatfromPoole

My first time of seeing Saints at Wembley.

Our fans were immense, and our team kicked Forest off the park. Proper shithousery from Hurlock, Ruddock etc.

Roy Keane didn’t get a look-in.

But we somehow lost.

[Post edited 29 Mar 2022 17:26]

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

30 years ago today on 18:29 - Mar 29 with 1793 viewsChesham_Saint

My god, I’d forgotten what a pudding headed miserable prick Branfoot was..

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

30 years ago today on 09:12 - Mar 30 with 1577 viewsSaintNick

30 years ago today on 18:29 - Mar 29 by Chesham_Saint

My god, I’d forgotten what a pudding headed miserable prick Branfoot was..

Having met Branfoot, he was actually quite a nice fella who was passionate about football.

The problem for Saints was that he had realised he was never going to coach a big team and be able to play free flowing football as such, so he focused on making his teams hard to score against and hard to play against and clearing the ball quickly from defence to the strikers.

It was a system that wasn't pretty to watch, he also knew that he was going to lose the likes of Shearer, Flowers, Ruddock etc and was never going to be able to replace them with players of a similar quality.

He did what he did to keep Saints in the Premier League.

I'm not defending this here, it was awful to watch and not the way forward long term, it essentially took us 7 years after he left to get back on track.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

30 years ago today on 09:32 - Mar 30 with 1566 viewsChesham_Saint

30 years ago today on 09:12 - Mar 30 by SaintNick

Having met Branfoot, he was actually quite a nice fella who was passionate about football.

The problem for Saints was that he had realised he was never going to coach a big team and be able to play free flowing football as such, so he focused on making his teams hard to score against and hard to play against and clearing the ball quickly from defence to the strikers.

It was a system that wasn't pretty to watch, he also knew that he was going to lose the likes of Shearer, Flowers, Ruddock etc and was never going to be able to replace them with players of a similar quality.

He did what he did to keep Saints in the Premier League.

I'm not defending this here, it was awful to watch and not the way forward long term, it essentially took us 7 years after he left to get back on track.

I can’t forget or forgive the way he treated MLT - at times preferring preferring that cart horse Paul Moody. Maybe he was a nice guy, I don’t know. But I DO know that Chris Nichol and Alan Ball (amongst others) managed to play better football with similar resources.

30 years ago today on 10:38 - Mar 30 with 1556 viewsfranniesTache

30 years ago today on 09:32 - Mar 30 by Chesham_Saint

I can’t forget or forgive the way he treated MLT - at times preferring preferring that cart horse Paul Moody. Maybe he was a nice guy, I don’t know. But I DO know that Chris Nichol and Alan Ball (amongst others) managed to play better football with similar resources.

He was utter sh*t as a manager, made worse by the fact we'd come from having a Nicholl side playing 4-2-4 and scoring goals for fun.

The fact he got booed at Wembley before the ZDS cup final should show what most fans thought of him.
30 years ago today on 12:35 - Mar 30 with 1502 viewsSaintNick

30 years ago today on 09:32 - Mar 30 by Chesham_Saint

Im not sticking up for him on the footballing side of things, he had a philosophy and he stuck to it.

Paul Moody is held up as an example of Branfoot, but the truth is in his 3 seasons at the club he barely played.

In his first season he started just 2 games and in both of them Le Tiss also started, in his two sub appearances Le Tiss came off in one of them, but the books dont show whether he came on for Le Tiss or Rideout.

Season two (92/93) saw him start just 2 games also plus 1 as sub , Le Tiss seems to be injured in one of them and played in the other, overall Le Tiss started 40 out of 42 games that season.

Season 93/94 Moody started 3 plus 2 as sub, the three he started was as a replacement for Le Tissier, not sure if he was injured, but again Le Tiss started 38 out of 42 that season, indeed when Moody came on as sub he didnt replace Le Tiss.

Paul Moody was never a great player at Premier league level, but to say he was preferred to Le Tissier is not backed up, Moody only started 7 games for Saints, in the same period Le Tiss started 109 out of 126 League games , most games being missed in Branfoots first season.

I cant say how many of those games were missed through injury or suspension but it leaves very few under Branfoot that Le Tissier didn't start in.

Indeed Moody as an out and out centre forward was not in competition with le Tiss he was behind firstly Shearer & Dowie in that position and then just Dowie after Shearer left

The myth that Moody was preferred for Le Tiss stems mainly from the fact that Branfoot was allegedly going to take Le Tiss off and bring Moody on just before Le Tiss scored the first of two wonder goals.

Like a lot of things in football fiction makes a lot better story than fact, throughout the 91-94 years Moody who left in Feb 94 was mostly playing in the reserves every Saturday and not in the first team squad, 32 out of 38 games 91/92 & 92/93 & 15 out of 20 games in his final half season.

Paul Moody was a long shot who was rarely selected for the first team squad , it wasn';t his fault he got lumbered with the "replace Le Tiss" tag, he went on to have a long and successful career at Oxford, Fulham, Millwall & Oxford again mainly in League 2, in 271 games he scored 106 goals

30 years ago today on 12:38 - Mar 30 with 1501 viewsSaintNick

30 years ago today on 10:38 - Mar 30 by franniesTache

He was utter sh*t as a manager, made worse by the fact we'd come from having a Nicholl side playing 4-2-4 and scoring goals for fun.

The fact he got booed at Wembley before the ZDS cup final should show what most fans thought of him.

The Nicholl sides scored goals for fun, but that side was disintegrating even before Nicholl was sacked, both Wallaces had left by the time Branfoot had arrived and other players had also gone or where about to, Shearer & Ruddock for instance at the end of 1991/92 for bigger clubs

30 years ago today on 12:57 - Mar 30 with 1490 viewsfranniesTache

30 years ago today on 12:38 - Mar 30 by SaintNick

The Nicholl sides scored goals for fun, but that side was disintegrating even before Nicholl was sacked, both Wallaces had left by the time Branfoot had arrived and other players had also gone or where about to, Shearer & Ruddock for instance at the end of 1991/92 for bigger clubs

Yup not denying that his side had gone to pot, and i remember how angry the fansswere and how happy a lot were to have him out, but more the stark contrast between the Nicholl and Branfoot era made Branfoot's football look even worse.

Also Branfoot's arrogance - perceived or not - didn't help him, that famous "hope you die soon" cover was done to mock it and most of us thought he was a grade a pr*ck.
30 years ago today on 14:42 - Mar 30 with 1430 viewsChesham_Saint

30 years ago today on 12:57 - Mar 30 by franniesTache

Yup not denying that his side had gone to pot, and i remember how angry the fansswere and how happy a lot were to have him out, but more the stark contrast between the Nicholl and Branfoot era made Branfoot's football look even worse.

Also Branfoot's arrogance - perceived or not - didn't help him, that famous "hope you die soon" cover was done to mock it and most of us thought he was a grade a pr*ck.

He also shipped out Jimmy Case way too early.

Login to get fewer ads

30 years ago today on 15:10 - Mar 30 with 1407 viewsdirk_doone

43 years ago this month was the third time I saw Saints at Wembley and the result was the same:

[Post edited 30 Mar 2022 15:17]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

30 years ago today on 15:40 - Mar 30 with 1383 viewsSonicBoom

I remember going on a coach from the Drummond in Hythe. Well it was actually an old double decker bus so not he most comfortable. We immediately proceeded to get absolutely smashed and I don't remember a lot till about half time when we were 2-0 down. Then we equalised (was it Kevin Moore - the world's least glamourous footballer?) - then we lost it near the end. Everything else is pretty much a blur.
30 years ago today on 15:54 - Mar 30 with 1376 viewsBuggalugs

"Brian Clough, shut your mouth, the ZDS is coming South"

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

30 years ago today on 17:28 - Mar 30 with 1312 viewsgrumpy

30 years ago today on 15:40 - Mar 30 by SonicBoom

I remember going on a coach from the Drummond in Hythe. Well it was actually an old double decker bus so not he most comfortable. We immediately proceeded to get absolutely smashed and I don't remember a lot till about half time when we were 2-0 down. Then we equalised (was it Kevin Moore - the world's least glamourous footballer?) - then we lost it near the end. Everything else is pretty much a blur.

I remember seeing that double decker bus arrive at Wembley,it was so funny, those on top were wearing straw hats with straws sticking out their mouths.The Worzels had come to town that day.
Enormous Saints support that day.
30 years ago today on 19:09 - Mar 30 with 1246 viewsMytchettSaint

30 years ago today on 12:35 - Mar 30 by SaintNick

Im not sticking up for him on the footballing side of things, he had a philosophy and he stuck to it.

Paul Moody is held up as an example of Branfoot, but the truth is in his 3 seasons at the club he barely played.

In his first season he started just 2 games and in both of them Le Tiss also started, in his two sub appearances Le Tiss came off in one of them, but the books dont show whether he came on for Le Tiss or Rideout.

Season two (92/93) saw him start just 2 games also plus 1 as sub , Le Tiss seems to be injured in one of them and played in the other, overall Le Tiss started 40 out of 42 games that season.

Season 93/94 Moody started 3 plus 2 as sub, the three he started was as a replacement for Le Tissier, not sure if he was injured, but again Le Tiss started 38 out of 42 that season, indeed when Moody came on as sub he didnt replace Le Tiss.

Paul Moody was never a great player at Premier league level, but to say he was preferred to Le Tissier is not backed up, Moody only started 7 games for Saints, in the same period Le Tiss started 109 out of 126 League games , most games being missed in Branfoots first season.

I cant say how many of those games were missed through injury or suspension but it leaves very few under Branfoot that Le Tissier didn't start in.

Indeed Moody as an out and out centre forward was not in competition with le Tiss he was behind firstly Shearer & Dowie in that position and then just Dowie after Shearer left

The myth that Moody was preferred for Le Tiss stems mainly from the fact that Branfoot was allegedly going to take Le Tiss off and bring Moody on just before Le Tiss scored the first of two wonder goals.

Like a lot of things in football fiction makes a lot better story than fact, throughout the 91-94 years Moody who left in Feb 94 was mostly playing in the reserves every Saturday and not in the first team squad, 32 out of 38 games 91/92 & 92/93 & 15 out of 20 games in his final half season.

Paul Moody was a long shot who was rarely selected for the first team squad , it wasn';t his fault he got lumbered with the "replace Le Tiss" tag, he went on to have a long and successful career at Oxford, Fulham, Millwall & Oxford again mainly in League 2, in 271 games he scored 106 goals

I remember going to a game at Highbury and Moody came on for MLT. He had very short spells of being involved in the first team squad as it was painfully clear he wasn’t good enough. So when he did get near the team and MLT was getting dropped or subbed by Sh1t for brainsfoot it quite rightly riled a lot of the remaining paying punters who forlornly keep turning up in those dark dark days in the hope of seeing that moment of magic we all knew MLT would give us.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

30 years ago today on 20:13 - Mar 30 with 1202 viewsDellHero_Would

30 years ago today on 19:09 - Mar 30 by MytchettSaint

I remember going to a game at Highbury and Moody came on for MLT. He had very short spells of being involved in the first team squad as it was painfully clear he wasn’t good enough. So when he did get near the team and MLT was getting dropped or subbed by Sh1t for brainsfoot it quite rightly riled a lot of the remaining paying punters who forlornly keep turning up in those dark dark days in the hope of seeing that moment of magic we all knew MLT would give us.

I’ve read some of the comments on this thread and it’s interesting. I was mid 20s in that time and can’t remember the hatred of Branfoot being that bad. A few bell ends used to stand near the dugout and shout abuse. Maybe I was too pissÄ—d up to take much notice back then 😀
[Post edited 30 Mar 2022 20:14]

Poll: Wearing a mask

30 years ago today on 20:22 - Mar 30 with 1182 viewsBicester_North

30 years ago today on 20:13 - Mar 30 by DellHero_Would

I’ve read some of the comments on this thread and it’s interesting. I was mid 20s in that time and can’t remember the hatred of Branfoot being that bad. A few bell ends used to stand near the dugout and shout abuse. Maybe I was too pissÄ—d up to take much notice back then 😀

There was the organised protest and a couple of death threats I think, as if we were AS Roma

But I think Branfoot shrugged it off as just a few plums and that riled everyone up even more

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

30 years ago today on 21:00 - Mar 30 with 1132 viewsDellHero_Would

30 years ago today on 20:22 - Mar 30 by Bicester_North

There was the organised protest and a couple of death threats I think, as if we were AS Roma

But I think Branfoot shrugged it off as just a few plums and that riled everyone up even more

I don’t recall it…I went to most home games from mid 80s to 90s, although football came second to having a few drinks before going clubbing…. Maybe I should have taken it more seriously, haha.

30 years ago today on 21:36 - Mar 30 with 1097 viewsButty101

30 years ago today on 15:54 - Mar 30 by Buggalugs

We will be running round Wembley with our willies hanging out....

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

30 years ago today on 22:23 - Mar 30 with 1072 viewsMytchettSaint

30 years ago today on 20:13 - Mar 30 by DellHero_Would

I remember the sit in protests at the dell after games had finished. I also remember the reception the bloke got when he appeared from the tunnel and walked to the dugout. In the end it was the dwindling attendances that did for him. I went to the Norwich NYD game at the dell and vowing not to go again until he’d got the sack. Fortunately it was only a few weeks later it happened.

30 years ago today on 22:49 - Mar 30 with 1035 viewsChesham_Saint

30 years ago today on 12:35 - Mar 30 by SaintNick

The wonder goal game you mention. Look at the footage and you don’t need to be a lip reader to see Branfoot grimace and say “sit down” to Moody who was warming up and about to come on for MLT when he scored.

It’s not Moody’s fault he was shite, it’s the fact that Branfoot would even consider putting him on for MLT even ONCE FFS.

30 years ago today on 22:52 - Mar 30 with 1033 viewsDellHero_Would

30 years ago today on 22:23 - Mar 30 by MytchettSaint

I remember the sit in protests at the dell after games had finished. I also remember the reception the bloke got when he appeared from the tunnel and walked to the dugout. In the end it was the dwindling attendances that did for him. I went to the Norwich NYD game at the dell and vowing not to go again until he’d got the sack. Fortunately it was only a few weeks later it happened.

We all follow Saints in our own way….Don’t be mistaken. I love the club and the history as I’m from Southampton. I have family members who have played for our club…
[Post edited 30 Mar 2022 22:52]

30 years ago today on 22:52 - Mar 30 with 1030 viewsChesham_Saint

30 years ago today on 15:54 - Mar 30 by Buggalugs

“When you walk down Wembley Way, you will hear the Saints fans say, who are we going to stuff? Forest and Brian Clough!”

Although that may have been from the ‘79 League Cup final….

30 years ago today on 08:29 - Mar 31 with 927 viewsPatfromPoole

One thing about Branfoot teams.

We rarely got bullied or out-shithoused.

That game when we beat United on penalties at Old Trafford. Most sides would have collapsed after conceding in the 93rd minute. But we battled through extra-time.

Some of the football was appalling to watch, but football was a different game in those days. A lot of the teams were long-ball. I recall Leeds winning the League with Lee Chapman up front FFS.

30 years ago today on 09:42 - Mar 31 with 900 viewsfranniesTache

30 years ago today on 08:29 - Mar 31 by PatfromPoole

One thing about Branfoot teams.

We rarely got bullied or out-shithoused.

That game when we beat United on penalties at Old Trafford. Most sides would have collapsed after conceding in the 93rd minute. But we battled through extra-time.

Some of the football was appalling to watch, but football was a different game in those days. A lot of the teams were long-ball. I recall Leeds winning the League with Lee Chapman up front FFS.

That was more to do with Cantona though mush.
30 years ago today on 09:55 - Mar 31 with 897 viewsPatfromPoole

30 years ago today on 09:42 - Mar 31 by franniesTache

That was more to do with Cantona though mush.

I thought he was only there for the last few games (?).

In the halcyon days when you didn’t have a Jan transfer window….

30 years ago today on 12:22 - Mar 31 with 842 viewsMytchettSaint

30 years ago today on 09:55 - Mar 31 by PatfromPoole

I thought he was only there for the last few games (?).

In the halcyon days when you didn’t have a Jan transfer window….

Wasn’t the ability to transfer players in/out open all through the season until March back then?

I think I remember us getting Barry Venison in Octoberish time one season…halcyon days indeed!
[Post edited 31 Mar 2022 12:23]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024