Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What Ralph brings 09:35 - Apr 22 with 4350 viewsDorsetIan

One thing that's been constant throughout Ralph's time in charge has been the extraordinary inconsistency.

I've come to the conclusion that basically the team/squad we have is really not much better than those we had under Puel, Pellingrino & Hughes and the only difference it that Ralph has a greater ability to lift the team to a higher lever from time to time. You can see how his enthusiasm and positivity alone could do that.

But it can never last because all he is doing is pressing the turbo or nitrous oxide button from time to time - so we get a good performance or a brief run of good performances and then we revert back to our base performance level, which is not that good.

Last night's performance, as were the ones against Watford and Chelsea were as disappointing as anything we watched under those other three managers.

It's the hope that kills.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

What Ralph brings on 09:37 - Apr 22 with 2465 viewsfranniesTache

Dunno he's pretty damn consistent to be fair,

League finishes of 15th, 11th, 16th and most likely 14th-16th this season.

Goals conceded 60/+ each season he's been here.

Getting beaten by 6 or more goals in every season he's been here.

How the hell he's still manager i have no idea.
What Ralph brings on 09:41 - Apr 22 with 2452 views1885_SFC

What Ralph brings on 09:37 - Apr 22 by franniesTache

Because he's cheap salary wise and he's agreed to buy cheap, young players and sell them on for lots the following season. He's a 'yes' man. That's why he's still the manager.

Old School is Cool

What Ralph brings on 09:51 - Apr 22 with 2423 viewssaintwizzler

What Ralph brings on 09:41 - Apr 22 by 1885_SFC

Because he's cheap salary wise and he's agreed to buy cheap, young players and sell them on for lots the following season. He's a 'yes' man. That's why he's still the manager.

He has kept us in The Premier League that’s why he’s still here.
I’d take relegation and a cup win all day long.

What the new owner(s) will want we will see.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

What Ralph brings on 10:09 - Apr 22 with 2393 viewspjt50

What Ralph brings on 09:41 - Apr 22 by 1885_SFC

Don't know where you get the idea that he's cheap. Last I saw he was the 8th highest paid PL manager on £6m. Just look at the 7 above him. Realistically we're unlikely to get anybody of their calibre. If we did they probably wouldn't hang around for long.

One thing I can't see Ralph being is a 'yes' man.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 10:11]

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

What Ralph brings on 10:48 - Apr 22 with 2338 viewsElijahK

Ok but then with the resources he’s had at his disposal, is that not good enough? As both him and Dyche have had very similar resources and such over the last few seasons, with one team going on some decent cup runs and spending a majority of the season in a pretty comfortable mid table spot, whilst the other has always consistently been in a relegation battle and never really gotten anywhere. That’s why one got sacked and the other hasn’t, as there’s a reason why practically all the teams with our sort of resources have been finishing down there soo often, and since Ralph joined we’ve not, but before he did and after Koeman, we’ve almost always been down there.

As someone said something on another page earlier that I thought was spot on, and it’s that the PL right now is like F1, as you’ve just got like 5/6 big teams going for the title and the rest just make up the numbers, which is exactly why until we get any investment we will just be making up those numbers, and until that investment comes, we won’t be finishing much higher than like 8th/9th or so.

As this season we’ve struggle away, but that’s been made up for by our home form, and we’ve also struggled against the lower teams, but that’s then been made up for how well we’ve done against the bigger teams, we’ve had some poor runs but that’s also been made up for the great runs we’ve been on! And the fact is that right now we’re a mid table team that should be where we are, but we shouldn’t be where we are with the resources we’ve lacked, which is exactly why I don’t see the point in us sacking him.

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

What Ralph brings on 11:15 - Apr 22 with 2300 viewsDorsetIan

I agree that the overall position at the end of the season has been consistently mid -bottom half but it's the inconsistency in performances that are hard to fathom.

Last season, doing really well pre -Christmas and then the wheels completely fall off.

This season, looking like a decent well-balanced side going into the Villa game and then again the wheels completely fall off.

Looking at it positively, maybe Ralph has been able to squeeze more good performances out of this bunch than anyone else could. But I'm not sure he's ever going to be able to to do more than that.

What Ralph brings on 11:18 - Apr 22 with 2296 viewsSonicBoom

It's tricky.
You can be consistently average and end up mid table - or you can be brilliant then terrible and end up mid table.

I'm not a Ralph fan and I think tactically he is often very muddled. But I would stick with him. If we got someone "better" they'd take us up the league for a season then leave. Poch is the perfect example. RH does give us stability which for a club like is is good, we really don't want those years back of a new manager every season.
What Ralph brings on 11:29 - Apr 22 with 2283 viewsfelly1

Bang on the money with those views DorsetIan.
Login to get fewer ads

What Ralph brings on 12:06 - Apr 22 with 2248 viewsfranniesTache

I just want a manager who doesn't concede a record amount of goals every season, pre-Ralph we'd concede 60+ once in the premier league, the season we went down, since he's come here it's been every season.
What Ralph brings on 12:54 - Apr 22 with 2178 viewsDorsetIan

What Ralph brings on 12:06 - Apr 22 by franniesTache

I just want a manager who doesn't concede a record amount of goals every season, pre-Ralph we'd concede 60+ once in the premier league, the season we went down, since he's come here it's been every season.

Just looking at that Puel season 2016/17...

Southampton p w d l F A GD. PTs
8Southampton 38 12 10 16 41 48 −7 46

I feels from here like it was a bore-fest but we still won 12 and I'd say we're unlikely to do that this season now (9 currently). We've already conceded more than 48 goals. We've only lost 12 so far but I can easily see it getting near to 16.

I suspect the new owners will want a bit more than Ralph has to offer but we'll see.

What Ralph brings on 13:46 - Apr 22 with 2118 viewsI_would

His boss is gutless.

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

What Ralph brings on 13:50 - Apr 22 with 2101 viewssaints__fan__73

What Ralph brings on 12:54 - Apr 22 by DorsetIan

Just looking at that Puel season 2016/17...

Southampton p w d l F A GD. PTs
8Southampton 38 12 10 16 41 48 −7 46

I feels from here like it was a bore-fest but we still won 12 and I'd say we're unlikely to do that this season now (9 currently). We've already conceded more than 48 goals. We've only lost 12 so far but I can easily see it getting near to 16.

I suspect the new owners will want a bit more than Ralph has to offer but we'll see.

I suspect Ralph would want a bit more than the new owners have to offer, but we'll see...

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

What Ralph brings on 14:12 - Apr 22 with 2070 viewsRon11

From what I saw last night, he has one or two players who are either just not interested anymore (Broja for example) just not very good (Valery for example) one on ramadan (he wasn't interested) and yet he starts them in preference to the the likes of Che Adams, Nathan Redmond and even Adam Armstrong.
Some don't rate Redmond, but almost as soon as he came on last he put a lovely chip over the top straight to Adams who unfortunately blazed it straight at Pope.
And how is Adam Armstrong going to get a chance at a goal if he's not on the pitch?
Broja, Elyounoussi and Valery (we had a back four, Walker -Peters, Bednarek Lyanco and Perraud) either did absolutely fu ck all or in Valery's case caused chaos.And yet they were still on at the start of the second half.
That's down to Hassenhutl.
What Ralph brings on 14:12 - Apr 22 with 2064 viewsSaintsforeverj

Ralph certainly looks fed up and I wouldn't be surprised if he left at the end of the season but not sure as he has also said how he couldn't ask for a better job etc. People have to remember that he has had 3 years, but he has also had the lowest budget. He has had to run this team on a shoe string. Is there any recognition at all for this fact?

Plus, another manager might provide an enthusiasm boost, telling us what potential there is here blah blah blah. And then we soon get back in our place as we have done for the last 40 years. And we could still finish 9th, so let's see.

But nothing will change unless we invest more in the team. Next year and many years to come will still look like this.
Man City
Liverpool
Man U (with Ten Hag and money to spend)
Chelsea (they might be replaced by Newcastle)
Arsenal
Tottenham
Newcastle
West Ham
Villa
Leicester.

So where are things going to change? We still won't finish any higher. Who will we finish above regularly?
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 14:14]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

What Ralph brings on 14:20 - Apr 22 with 2043 viewsPoirot

He simply cannot organize a team and we have players lost with no system other than the tiresome wingback approach which can easily be exploited.

Hes a busted flush
What Ralph brings on 14:28 - Apr 22 with 2034 views1885_SFC

What Ralph brings on 14:12 - Apr 22 by Ron11

From what I saw last night, he has one or two players who are either just not interested anymore (Broja for example) just not very good (Valery for example) one on ramadan (he wasn't interested) and yet he starts them in preference to the the likes of Che Adams, Nathan Redmond and even Adam Armstrong.
Some don't rate Redmond, but almost as soon as he came on last he put a lovely chip over the top straight to Adams who unfortunately blazed it straight at Pope.
And how is Adam Armstrong going to get a chance at a goal if he's not on the pitch?
Broja, Elyounoussi and Valery (we had a back four, Walker -Peters, Bednarek Lyanco and Perraud) either did absolutely fu ck all or in Valery's case caused chaos.And yet they were still on at the start of the second half.
That's down to Hassenhutl.

Correct Ron.

If a manager plays the wrong formation (one solitary striker who doesn't play as a solitary striker), or if a manager doesn't start with his best players (surely even Adam Armstrong is capable against a poor Burnley?), and if a manager fails to motivate everyone out on the pitch bar the goalkeeper - then the buck stops at a certain person (or rather, manager)?

Old School is Cool

What Ralph brings on 14:31 - Apr 22 with 2023 viewsRon11

What Ralph brings on 14:28 - Apr 22 by 1885_SFC

Correct Ron.

If a manager plays the wrong formation (one solitary striker who doesn't play as a solitary striker), or if a manager doesn't start with his best players (surely even Adam Armstrong is capable against a poor Burnley?), and if a manager fails to motivate everyone out on the pitch bar the goalkeeper - then the buck stops at a certain person (or rather, manager)?

What Ralph brings on 14:39 - Apr 22 with 2010 viewsSaintsforeverj

We didn't like Puel.
We didn't like Pellegrino.
We didn't like Hughes.
We don't like Ralph.
We did like Koeman and Poch (who both had world class players) but they sod off after one year to bigger clubs because they wanted much bigger budgets than we could ever offer.

I would actually love to see another manager come in, just to see what we all say, when we still only finish between 20th and 10th at best. Redmond will still miss sitters, Stephens will still make howlers, Adams will still only score 8 goals. I bet things wouldn't change very much.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 14:47]

What Ralph brings on 15:08 - Apr 22 with 1966 viewsDellHero_Would

What Ralph brings on 14:39 - Apr 22 by Saintsforeverj

We didn't like Puel.
We didn't like Hughes.
We don't like Ralph.
We did like Koeman and Poch (who both had world class players) but they sod off after one year to bigger clubs because they wanted much bigger budgets than we could ever offer.

I would actually love to see another manager come in, just to see what we all say, when we still only finish between 20th and 10th at best. Redmond will still miss sitters, Stephens will still make howlers, Adams will still only score 8 goals. I bet things wouldn't change very much.

My memory isn’t great, but wasn’t there a sh1t load of moaning going on when both Poch and Ron were here? Some of you need to go and support Manchester City.

Poll: Wearing a mask

What Ralph brings on 15:17 - Apr 22 with 1945 viewsfranniesTache

What Ralph brings on 14:39 - Apr 22 by Saintsforeverj

We didn't like Puel.
We didn't like Hughes.
We don't like Ralph.

I liked Puel, we were hard to beat, excellent away from home, finished 8th and got to only the 3rd major final of my life.

It was people who said he was "boring" that were the idiots.

I also enjoyed Hughes' first season or so, although he was gotten rid of at the right time, and i've enjoyed bits of Ralph's time i just think he's now done and should go.

Not everything has to be as black and white as a lot of people make out.
What Ralph brings on 15:20 - Apr 22 with 1937 viewsSaintsforeverj

What Ralph brings on 15:08 - Apr 22 by DellHero_Would

My memory isn’t great, but wasn’t there a sh1t load of moaning going on when both Poch and Ron were here? Some of you need to go and support Manchester City.

At times yes, you're right. We lost to Norwich under Koeman and Mane was fined for being late to training. The fans were moaning a lot then.

What Ralph brings on 15:28 - Apr 22 with 1921 viewsSaintsforeverj

What Ralph brings on 15:17 - Apr 22 by franniesTache

I liked Puel, we were hard to beat, excellent away from home, finished 8th and got to only the 3rd major final of my life.

It was people who said he was "boring" that were the idiots.

I also enjoyed Hughes' first season or so, although he was gotten rid of at the right time, and i've enjoyed bits of Ralph's time i just think he's now done and should go.

Not everything has to be as black and white as a lot of people make out.

I agree Puel in hindsight did a decent job. But that brings us round to why some are reluctant to call for Ralph to go. The grass isn't always greener. I also quite liked Hughes but again, being near the bottom of the league wasn't good enough for our fans, so we got rid. And now here we are again, the same old problems with a different manager. It will be the same with next manager I bet. A few defeats, which we will get, and the fans will questioning the next one and we go round and round and round.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 15:31]

What Ralph brings on 15:37 - Apr 22 with 1899 viewsfranniesTache

What Ralph brings on 15:28 - Apr 22 by Saintsforeverj

I agree Puel in hindsight did a decent job. But that brings us round to why some are reluctant to call for Ralph to go. The grass isn't always greener. I also quite liked Hughes but again, being near the bottom of the league wasn't good enough for our fans, so we got rid. And now here we are again, the same old problems with a different manager. It will be the same with next manager I bet. A few defeats, which we will get, and the fans will questioning the next one and we go round and round and round.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 15:31]

The reason I want Ralph out now is that he's had three years and not fixed the main thing that's broken, the defence.

I don't really expect a huge amount in this league, bank balance counts for most things in it, but if you have an employee that makes the same mistake time and time again and doesn't learn from them you get rid of that employee and try something different.

Ralph has had his chance, he doesn't learn and we're stagnating, surely it's time for a change?

And before you say beware what you wish for, I remember Nicholl to Brantfoot...
What Ralph brings on 15:47 - Apr 22 with 1877 viewsSaintsforeverj

What Ralph brings on 15:37 - Apr 22 by franniesTache

The reason I want Ralph out now is that he's had three years and not fixed the main thing that's broken, the defence.

I don't really expect a huge amount in this league, bank balance counts for most things in it, but if you have an employee that makes the same mistake time and time again and doesn't learn from them you get rid of that employee and try something different.

Ralph has had his chance, he doesn't learn and we're stagnating, surely it's time for a change?

And before you say beware what you wish for, I remember Nicholl to Brantfoot...

Yep, and under Puel he sorted the defence but at the end of that season we didn't score a single goal for 6 home games in a row. People (obviously not you) were saying how Puel had destroyed our attacking threat. Now it's the opposite. If we find a manager who can sort the defence and still have a good attack, so that we win many more games, then we will all be celebrating won't we. It won't happen because we will be facing teams spending huge amounts of money, and they will have better players as always. If it does, I will happily come.on here and celebrate with you and say you were right to call for a new manager. But we have still only ever won one major trophy in well over 100 years, with what over 100 managers, so I wont hold my breath!
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 15:51]

What Ralph brings on 16:20 - Apr 22 with 1830 viewsMytchettSaint

I’ll use the Brentford manager as a comparison here

They went on a horrendous run but I didn’t see them getting spectacularly humped/ rolling over and dying.

They’ve got a similar budget to ours I’m guessing?

Why is it we’re not seeing them getting a shoeing as often and regularly as we seem to get? Their players seem to give a feck and don’t want to be embarrassed out on the pitch out of professional pride.

Every team is going to have an off day each season (so now I’ve said this they’re due a humping tomorrow) but I fully expect them to comfortably beat us in a few weeks when neither side has got anything but pride to play for.

I’m sorry but the manager sets the agenda.

Each season is becoming like Groundhog Day.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024