Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UNITED Kingdom 16:18 - Sep 11 with 14765 viewsCatullus

People can talk about Scottish indy but judging by the crowds forming and growing up in Scotland, a lot of people, a great lot of people are grieving the Queen's death and all across the UK we are seeing people united by this.

Happy times don't bring people together but tragedies do and it looks like the majority see her passing as a tragedy, maybe King Charles can take advantage of this and strengthen the unity going forward.

Will the Queen pasing actually make the UK a more unified place?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

UNITED Kingdom on 19:37 - Sep 25 with 1197 viewsKilkennyjack

UNITED Kingdom on 12:21 - Sep 25 by onehunglow

It's firking nuts
A massive gamble and I hate gambling.

What has also annoyed me is the abandoning of the Sugar Tax that would help the obesity time bomb we can all see.The fattest nation in Europe and we have not the guts to attack sugary drink and come to it,alcohol levies;just why is drink seen as so important. Being a cynic ,it's a ruse to keep the "working man" happy with his blessed pint .

It shows how utterly skewed we are . Cheap booze but dear food and energy

Cant argue with you OHL …

Beware of the Risen People

UNITED Kingdom on 19:52 - Sep 25 with 1183 viewsCatullus

UNITED Kingdom on 19:40 - Sep 24 by Kilkennyjack

Yet we have never been asked, of course ….. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

despite all the natinalistic language being shouted by the few, support for indy still isn;t anywhere near enough to talk of a vote. The support for the Royal family through the last month is also nominally support for the Union.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

UNITED Kingdom on 19:59 - Sep 25 with 1178 viewsBryanSwan

UNITED Kingdom on 12:21 - Sep 25 by onehunglow

It's firking nuts
A massive gamble and I hate gambling.

What has also annoyed me is the abandoning of the Sugar Tax that would help the obesity time bomb we can all see.The fattest nation in Europe and we have not the guts to attack sugary drink and come to it,alcohol levies;just why is drink seen as so important. Being a cynic ,it's a ruse to keep the "working man" happy with his blessed pint .

It shows how utterly skewed we are . Cheap booze but dear food and energy

I'd be amazed if any of the producers of the "sugar tax" goods reduced prices by much. The tax money has just become extra profit.
Its a sad state of affairs, I've never understood why the sugar tax wasn't used to subsidise healthy foods (fruit & veg).

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

UNITED Kingdom on 20:08 - Sep 25 with 1175 viewsCatullus

UNITED Kingdom on 19:59 - Sep 25 by BryanSwan

I'd be amazed if any of the producers of the "sugar tax" goods reduced prices by much. The tax money has just become extra profit.
Its a sad state of affairs, I've never understood why the sugar tax wasn't used to subsidise healthy foods (fruit & veg).

It's a complete nonsense to me that you can buy fizzy drinks and junk for around the same price as healthy food. Sweets are cheaper than fruit, Coke etc is often as cheap as water.

I admit to having a sweet tooth, I love chocolate but I very rarely drink anything other than water with a touch of sugrafree squash, apart from filter Coffee.

UNITED Kingdom on 20:45 - Sep 25 with 1167 viewsfelixstowe_jack

UNITED Kingdom on 20:08 - Sep 25 by Catullus

It's a complete nonsense to me that you can buy fizzy drinks and junk for around the same price as healthy food. Sweets are cheaper than fruit, Coke etc is often as cheap as water.

I admit to having a sweet tooth, I love chocolate but I very rarely drink anything other than water with a touch of sugrafree squash, apart from filter Coffee.

Water from the tap is always cheaper than coke etc. Why do people pay more for bottled water than milk especially during a so called cost of living crisis.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

UNITED Kingdom on 20:57 - Sep 25 with 1162 viewsKilkennyjack

UNITED Kingdom on 19:52 - Sep 25 by Catullus

despite all the natinalistic language being shouted by the few, support for indy still isn;t anywhere near enough to talk of a vote. The support for the Royal family through the last month is also nominally support for the Union.

The real debate is just starting in Cymru.
The late great Eddie Butler and Michael Sheen have both advocated powerfully.

The SNP are intent on keeping the Monarchy in an indy Scotland, so i don't think your read across is informed.

Big march in Cardiff on 01 October.
You should go and have a listen. A bit of fresh air for you.

UNITED Kingdom on 21:07 - Sep 25 with 1159 viewsfelixstowe_jack

UNITED Kingdom on 20:57 - Sep 25 by Kilkennyjack

The SNP are intent on keeping the Monarchy in an indy Scotland, so i don't think your read across is informed.

Yes indeed Eddie Butler was in favour of a United Kingdom, the British lions, and worked for tye BBC.

UNITED Kingdom on 21:18 - Sep 25 with 1157 viewsCatullus

UNITED Kingdom on 20:45 - Sep 25 by felixstowe_jack

Water from the tap is always cheaper than coke etc. Why do people pay more for bottled water than milk especially during a so called cost of living crisis.

I only drink tap water. I bought a One litre insulated bottle to take water to work with me so I wasn't buying plastic.

We try to be eco friendly.

Login to get fewer ads

UNITED Kingdom on 22:19 - Sep 25 with 1141 viewsKilkennyjack

UNITED Kingdom on 21:07 - Sep 25 by felixstowe_jack

Yes indeed Eddie Butler was in favour of a United Kingdom, the British lions, and worked for tye BBC.

As usual you are quite staggeringly wrong.

‘The united kingdom that made my parents proud to be British … no longer exists …..’

Be like Eddie 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

UNITED Kingdom on 07:08 - Sep 26 with 1113 viewsCatullus

UNITED Kingdom on 22:19 - Sep 25 by Kilkennyjack

As usual you are quite staggeringly wrong.

‘The united kingdom that made my parents proud to be British … no longer exists …..’

Be like Eddie 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"There is far more that binds us together than keeps us apart" those are Butlers words and that is true of the UK.

The real problem with the UK is the same thing that causes the biggest arguments in Wales, the politicians.

If we got genuine, wide ranging change in politics we could ALL be better off under Westminster, I include Northern England in that because they aren't as well off as Wales in some respects. The Capitalcentric thinking of politicians has made a complete mess of things, true in England and Wales. Without reform nothing will change.

UNITED Kingdom on 16:53 - Sep 26 with 1078 viewsKilkennyjack

UNITED Kingdom on 07:08 - Sep 26 by Catullus

"There is far more that binds us together than keeps us apart" those are Butlers words and that is true of the UK.

The real problem with the UK is the same thing that causes the biggest arguments in Wales, the politicians.

If we got genuine, wide ranging change in politics we could ALL be better off under Westminster, I include Northern England in that because they aren't as well off as Wales in some respects. The Capitalcentric thinking of politicians has made a complete mess of things, true in England and Wales. Without reform nothing will change.

Butler was specifically talking about the people of Cymru.

He is talking at an Indy rally.
He says the Britain that his parents loved ‘no longer exists’.

Please don't try to change what Eddie said, Eddie was 100% behind an Indy Wales.
This could not be clearer. ❤️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

I can feel your pain that it wasn’t so ….. go on the big Eddie ❤️

The only reform that will work is Indy.
Power devolved is power retained, we have seen that with Johnson and his M4 games.
His only interest was to undermine devolution.
We dont have to put up with this crapp.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2022 16:56]

UNITED Kingdom on 18:46 - Sep 26 with 1061 viewsCatullus

UNITED Kingdom on 20:57 - Sep 25 by Kilkennyjack

Butler and Sheen are 2 people, it's what the majority want that matters.

The SNP have been trying hard for indy yet still they are in the Union and their love for the Queen and her love for Scotland was obvious, they still support the Royals though and the Royals are obviously pro Union as long as the people want it, Charles has said so.

Big march in Cardiff, lets see what the numbers are. It won't be fresh air though, maybe a lot of hot air.
There are lots of financials thrown around but we dont have all the facts apart from the government tax figures and the subsidy to go on. There are lots of other claims including EU membership but we all know (or should know) that EU membership could be over a decade away from any indy date and several countries have waited longer. An indy Wales that ditches it's biggest trading trading parter, well we know what remainers said about ditching the EU. Of course we will still trade with England but under what rules? Oh yes, those darned WTO rules until we have a trade agreement and I'm sure England would be gagging to get that sorted out quickly! Until then we could have a hard border.

it's easy to talk passionately about something you want and believe in but it doesn't mean you are right. Unfortunately to know who is right could mean having to take a leap into a maelstrom.

UNITED Kingdom on 23:23 - Sep 26 with 1027 viewsKilkennyjack

UNITED Kingdom on 18:46 - Sep 26 by Catullus

Butler and Sheen are 2 people, it's what the majority want that matters.

The SNP have been trying hard for indy yet still they are in the Union and their love for the Queen and her love for Scotland was obvious, they still support the Royals though and the Royals are obviously pro Union as long as the people want it, Charles has said so.

Big march in Cardiff, lets see what the numbers are. It won't be fresh air though, maybe a lot of hot air.
There are lots of financials thrown around but we dont have all the facts apart from the government tax figures and the subsidy to go on. There are lots of other claims including EU membership but we all know (or should know) that EU membership could be over a decade away from any indy date and several countries have waited longer. An indy Wales that ditches it's biggest trading trading parter, well we know what remainers said about ditching the EU. Of course we will still trade with England but under what rules? Oh yes, those darned WTO rules until we have a trade agreement and I'm sure England would be gagging to get that sorted out quickly! Until then we could have a hard border.

it's easy to talk passionately about something you want and believe in but it doesn't mean you are right. Unfortunately to know who is right could mean having to take a leap into a maelstrom.

Brexit was a damaging lie.
It will hurt the UK until a proper deal is done with the EU.
It is inevitable, the only question is when ?

I totally agree that Indy Wales needs more hard headed facts alongside the poems, songs and flags.

That said, the current cost of living crisis and falling pound double whammy for working people does make you wonder how an indy wales could be any worse.

Borders and currency will see Scotland there before us.
Likewise the royal family and the EU.
We dont have to copy Scotland but its sure to inform us.

Likewise Irish unification matters, will both Ireland and Scotland in the EU perhaps.
And England getting newly realigned to EU trade under Labour (17% ahead today).

I think its too late to reform the UK. It ends.

UNITED Kingdom on 20:25 - Sep 27 with 969 viewsCatullus

UNITED Kingdom on 23:23 - Sep 26 by Kilkennyjack

Brexit was a damaging lie.
It will hurt the UK until a proper deal is done with the EU.
It is inevitable, the only question is when ?

I totally agree that Indy Wales needs more hard headed facts alongside the poems, songs and flags.

That said, the current cost of living crisis and falling pound double whammy for working people does make you wonder how an indy wales could be any worse.

Borders and currency will see Scotland there before us.
Likewise the royal family and the EU.
We dont have to copy Scotland but its sure to inform us.

Likewise Irish unification matters, will both Ireland and Scotland in the EU perhaps.
And England getting newly realigned to EU trade under Labour (17% ahead today).

I think its too late to reform the UK. It ends.

If ireland unified then their in the EU already unless any member objects I guess. Sctland is different, they have to apply and go throught the same process, to meet the Copenhagen criteria and other countries are still trying to do that over 10 years on.

UNITED Kingdom on 03:29 - Sep 30 with 923 viewsKilkennyjack

John was right.
Wales can afford Indy now.

Wales cannot afford to stay in the dead uk union. Truss-enomics is further evidence.

UNITED Kingdom on 09:41 - Sep 30 with 895 viewsjohnlangy

UNITED Kingdom on 03:29 - Sep 30 by Kilkennyjack

John was right.

Wales cannot afford to stay in the dead uk union. Truss-enomics is further evidence.

The research was carried out by Professor John Doyle of Dublin City University, someone with no particular axe to grind either way in relation to the idea of Welsh Independence.

'Professor Doyle analysed the main components of the fiscal gap — including pensions, UK national debt repayments, and defence spending, together with under-estimates of Wales’s share of tax revenues — and finds that the elements of these that would likely transfer to an independent Wales would amount to approximately £2.6bn'.
UNITED Kingdom on 20:32 - Sep 30 with 868 viewsCatullus

UNITED Kingdom on 09:41 - Sep 30 by johnlangy

The research was carried out by Professor John Doyle of Dublin City University, someone with no particular axe to grind either way in relation to the idea of Welsh Independence.

'Professor Doyle analysed the main components of the fiscal gap — including pensions, UK national debt repayments, and defence spending, together with under-estimates of Wales’s share of tax revenues — and finds that the elements of these that would likely transfer to an independent Wales would amount to approximately £2.6bn'.

Honest question, could he have an axe to grind with Westminster? Could he be hoping for the UK to break up?

UNITED Kingdom on 22:01 - Sep 30 with 848 viewsKilkennyjack

UNITED Kingdom on 20:32 - Sep 30 by Catullus

Honest question, could he have an axe to grind with Westminster? Could he be hoping for the UK to break up?

No.

Cymru simply cannot afford to stay in the economic kindergarden that the Tories have turned the uk into.

You just dont like the facts. 🤷‍♂️

UNITED Kingdom on 22:08 - Sep 30 with 835 viewsCatullus

UNITED Kingdom on 22:01 - Sep 30 by Kilkennyjack

No.

Cymru simply cannot afford to stay in the economic kindergarden that the Tories have turned the uk into.

You just dont like the facts. 🤷‍♂️

This study isnt a fact, it is an opinion. It disagrees with the opinion of many others which includes Westminster and the many experts therein.

You dont like that most Welsh voters want to stay in the Union, I reckon that's a fact but a prediction like this cannot be taken as a 100% fact.

UNITED Kingdom on 05:46 - Oct 1 with 814 viewsfelixstowe_jack

UNITED Kingdom on 03:29 - Sep 30 by Kilkennyjack

John was right.

Trouble is the latest poll shows only 24% of the people of Wales would vote for an independent Wales. Slightly less than the 26% who would vote to abolish the Senedd.

The research on Wales' fiscal deficit makes one basic error. It assumes that all people living in Wales would have their state pension paid by England. That would never happen an independent Wales would have to pay their own pension.
Another flawed piece of research by a pro independence Welsh body.

It also points out that GDP per person in Wales is only 75% of the UK average.

UNITED Kingdom on 21:48 - Oct 1 with 777 viewsKilkennyjack

UNITED Kingdom on 05:46 - Oct 1 by felixstowe_jack

Trouble is the latest poll shows only 24% of the people of Wales would vote for an independent Wales. Slightly less than the 26% who would vote to abolish the Senedd.

The research on Wales' fiscal deficit makes one basic error. It assumes that all people living in Wales would have their state pension paid by England. That would never happen an independent Wales would have to pay their own pension.

The poor GDP level in Cymru is entirely due to the uk not working well enough for Wales.

Roughly 1 in 3 preople in Wales are already for indy.
Its a great place to start.

Larger still on the younger age groups.

UNITED Kingdom on 22:06 - Oct 1 with 775 viewsBryanSwan

UNITED Kingdom on 05:46 - Oct 1 by felixstowe_jack

The topic of pensions is an interesting point, how it would be worked out would be immensely difficult considering the Welsh population will have paid into a UK pot.
What is the GDP per head in England excluding London as that would probably be a better comparison. I don't actually know myself, but I'd imagine it would be fairly close.
Either way i think if Truss and Kwarteng keep at it much longer the break up of the UK will be almost an inevitability, they are lunatics.

UNITED Kingdom on 22:17 - Oct 1 with 772 viewsCatullus

UNITED Kingdom on 22:06 - Oct 1 by BryanSwan

The topic of pensions is an interesting point, how it would be worked out would be immensely difficult considering the Welsh population will have paid into a UK pot.
What is the GDP per head in England excluding London as that would probably be a better comparison. I don't actually know myself, but I'd imagine it would be fairly close.
Either way i think if Truss and Kwarteng keep at it much longer the break up of the UK will be almost an inevitability, they are lunatics.

Thing is Londo will always be in England but an Indy Wales wouldn' be in the UK so we have to take that average.

If the Uk broke up entirely then England would be much better off. England must have the highest GDP of the 4 countries and if it's an average then they could easily be up around 120% because if Sootland and NI are being subsidised too then England has to be well above 100.

How an I disagrree about Truss and Kwarteng? Apart from the break up because the tories will surely be voted out at the next opportunity and we won't be having a referenda before that.

UNITED Kingdom on 22:27 - Oct 1 with 760 viewsBryanSwan

UNITED Kingdom on 22:17 - Oct 1 by Catullus

Thing is Londo will always be in England but an Indy Wales wouldn' be in the UK so we have to take that average.

If the Uk broke up entirely then England would be much better off. England must have the highest GDP of the 4 countries and if it's an average then they could easily be up around 120% because if Sootland and NI are being subsidised too then England has to be well above 100.

How an I disagrree about Truss and Kwarteng? Apart from the break up because the tories will surely be voted out at the next opportunity and we won't be having a referenda before that.

Would still be interesting to see a like for like comparison with areas similar to ourselves, London having a exceptionally high GDP isn't really representative of the rest of the country.

Possibly, but they are definitely sowimg the seeds of discontent. Provided they are voted out I'm not sure if Starmer is going to be the one to repair anything.

UNITED Kingdom on 22:43 - Oct 1 with 747 viewsCatullus

UNITED Kingdom on 22:27 - Oct 1 by BryanSwan

Would still be interesting to see a like for like comparison with areas similar to ourselves, London having a exceptionally high GDP isn't really representative of the rest of the country.

Possibly, but they are definitely sowimg the seeds of discontent. Provided they are voted out I'm not sure if Starmer is going to be the one to repair anything.

Ok, for a fair comparison then, what is the GDP of Cardiff as against the rest of Wales? Can you see my point?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024