Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict 10:35 - Mar 5 with 1814 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/59758/southampton-v-leic

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 11:12 - Mar 5 with 1750 viewsButty101

I know you like to be positive Nick. But we massively got away with one. Baz in goal had a stinker all night. Poor distribution from goalkicks eg passing it to marked players, flapping at crosses and kicking it to their players. He needs to be taken out for the run in. The Defence just dosent trust him.
Armstrong ran around like a headless chicken.

And how is Mara ahead of tall Paul? If he wasn’t going to play today why not start him against Grismby?

Ps have a listen to jo tessem on Solent areaally good summarizer
[Post edited 5 Mar 2023 11:14]

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 11:17 - Mar 5 with 1742 viewsSaintNick

Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 11:12 - Mar 5 by Butty101

I know you like to be positive Nick. But we massively got away with one. Baz in goal had a stinker all night. Poor distribution from goalkicks eg passing it to marked players, flapping at crosses and kicking it to their players. He needs to be taken out for the run in. The Defence just dosent trust him.

And how is Mara ahead of tall Paul? If he wasn’t going to play today why not start him against Grismby?

Bazunu kicked it to their players once, but he was given an awful back pass, clearly Bazunu is told to play out from the back, if the players dont trust him they could stop him passing short by pushing up, but they are clearly playing to instruction.

In the final minute Bazunu had to do something, it wasn't flap or coming and missing, sometimes you have to make an effort even though you have no chance of getting there, just to put the opposition off.

What Bazunu needs is a defence in front of him that actually helps him rather than puts him in trouble,

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 11:21 - Mar 5 with 1742 viewsPatfromPoole

Agreed.

All the subs apart from Stu Armstrong were terrible.

Mara adds absolutely nothing; no trickery or pace.

Elyounoussi nearly cost us at the end by not taking one for the team and fouling Maddison on the left-wing. Ward-Prowse had to bring him down 30 yards nearer the goal, leading to a free-kick near the goal and a passage of play from which they hit the bar at the end.

Gutless play by Elyounoussi. I hate things like that.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 11:29 - Mar 5 with 1733 viewsSaintNick

Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 11:21 - Mar 5 by PatfromPoole

Agreed.

All the subs apart from Stu Armstrong were terrible.

Mara adds absolutely nothing; no trickery or pace.

Elyounoussi nearly cost us at the end by not taking one for the team and fouling Maddison on the left-wing. Ward-Prowse had to bring him down 30 yards nearer the goal, leading to a free-kick near the goal and a passage of play from which they hit the bar at the end.

Gutless play by Elyounoussi. I hate things like that.

Hang on a minute, all the subs came on and battled their socks off, if they hadn't Leicester would have rolled us over, we are a team low on confidence and that leads to a lack of quality because players are scared to play killer balls etc.

This has been the best weekend for us in about 6 months, we should look at the positives going forward and not dwell on the negatives.

The positive yesterday was that every man battled for his team mates, when one made a mistake then another made up for it. The subs didn't have good games, but they didn't have bad ones either, in our own half they did their jobs, Mara was up front and rarely actually saw the ball

We are near the bottom for a reason, but we havent been cast adrift and yesterday came off the bottom, it isn't suddenly going to turn us into Manchester City, the rest of the season wont be pretty, we will have to battle for every point and it will need a few lucky breaks as we got yesterday

Come on Pat if you can't be happy about this win what can you be happy about

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 11:47 - Mar 5 with 1701 viewsSouthamptonfan

I'm not overly convinced but we got the win. Mara I felt came on yesterday and didn't battle enough. He just sort jogged about. As I said in the other thread, Onuachu should have come on. But having said that, we won the game. I agree that we have a chance to escape, and we need to support the team and manager, whilst it's possible to survive.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 13:31 - Mar 5 with 1587 viewsmushinexile

It isn't difficult.
To get points you need to score goals. You need three players feeding two strikers. Constantly.
Know where your next man is and if he isn't a striker, he needs to be one kick away from one. Sooner or later they go in.
Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 14:04 - Mar 5 with 1541 viewsPatfromPoole

Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 11:29 - Mar 5 by SaintNick

Hang on a minute, all the subs came on and battled their socks off, if they hadn't Leicester would have rolled us over, we are a team low on confidence and that leads to a lack of quality because players are scared to play killer balls etc.

This has been the best weekend for us in about 6 months, we should look at the positives going forward and not dwell on the negatives.

The positive yesterday was that every man battled for his team mates, when one made a mistake then another made up for it. The subs didn't have good games, but they didn't have bad ones either, in our own half they did their jobs, Mara was up front and rarely actually saw the ball

We are near the bottom for a reason, but we havent been cast adrift and yesterday came off the bottom, it isn't suddenly going to turn us into Manchester City, the rest of the season wont be pretty, we will have to battle for every point and it will need a few lucky breaks as we got yesterday

Come on Pat if you can't be happy about this win what can you be happy about

I’m really happy that we won.

But I’m not deluding myself.

We were largely outplayed at home by an out of form relegation rival team who could easily have scored 5 or 6, given the number of sitters they missed.

The back four and the central midfielders all played well, but we are still carrying too many players who simply aren’t up to the required standard.

As at Chelsea, Selles got away with some utterly bizarre substitutions.

I’d rather we were lucky than good, but our luck will run out sometime.

Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 15:42 - Mar 5 with 1467 viewsBuenosSaint

I get we are happy with the 3 points but Saints were basically pretty awful again. So so lucky to get the win , i would be absolutely livid if i was a Leicester fan.

Very rose tinted report , but i do get that we shouldn't dwell on the negative and maybe this ought to be to generate positivity for the run in.

However, the reality is Saints will get absolutely slaughtered by any of the top 6 sides if they play like that. Possibly double figures this time. I'm done with the hope that kills, just want saints to not be embarrassed any more.

Poll: The Long Future

Login to get fewer ads

Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 19:09 - Mar 5 with 1347 viewssledger

Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 14:04 - Mar 5 by PatfromPoole

We were largely outplayed at home by an out of form relegation rival team who could easily have scored 5 or 6, given the number of sitters they missed.

The back four and the central midfielders all played well, but we are still carrying too many players who simply aren’t up to the required standard.

this,lets hope we can rapidly improve
Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 06:31 - Mar 6 with 1233 viewssaintwizzler

The third and fourth best teams are up next.
A point from these two games would be a bonus.

WE MARCH ON

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 06:57 - Mar 6 with 1220 viewsPatfromPoole

Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 06:31 - Mar 6 by saintwizzler

The third and fourth best teams are up next.
A point from these two games would be a bonus.

WE MARCH ON

Brentford in between, no?

Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 07:12 - Mar 6 with 1201 viewssaintwizzler

Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 06:57 - Mar 6 by PatfromPoole

Brentford in between, no?

Indeed hun. We will destroy them so left them out. Kuntz

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 08:09 - Mar 6 with 1155 viewssaintpaz

absolutely spot on, Bazunu was awful, we don't need him to help us get relegated.
Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 08:13 - Mar 6 with 1154 viewssaintpaz

We need a proper goalie and then Bazunu can be the understudy, I know I'm saying the obvious. Moreover, I would love to not see Mara, Ely and Adam Armstrong play again in a Saints shirt, just nowhere near good enough and offer nothing between them. League 1/2 at best as people have said. Get rid in the summer and I fully well know there should be others too, what a mess but yea sure glad we got the win ofc but let's not paper over the cracks here.
Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 09:03 - Mar 6 with 1109 viewsSonicBoom

This forum should be a place where we can air our worries Nick. Just relentlessly "being positive" doesn't hide the facts.
Obviously a win is brilliant and if Leicester were crap that's their problem. However we won more by luck than anything else. Their strikers had a huge off day and missed three absolute sitters.
Bazunu deserves our support of course. but how you make a positive of his ridiculous charge from his line in the last minute I do not know. You are suggesting he needed to do that to put off the striker?? He rushed out for a ball he was never going to get and left the guy with a free header. Anywhere remotely downwards and it was in. All our effort would have been down the drain. He looks so panicky.
Also we were winning and decided to drop deep with 30 minutes to play. OK but why not bring on our expensive January signing that is 6 foot 7. He could hold the ball up and take some pressure off. But we don't and the ball kept coming straight back. Selles team selections and subs seem no better than Jones. He just got luckier.
BUT.....
There were indeed positives.
Alcaraz looks a great player. Bit of nastiness, bit of skill, and unlike our other midfielders, he can actually score goals. He needs to be in every game regardless of who were' playing.
And whilst I said we were lucky, we did win. Wins like that can change a season. The players might think "well if we can win playing like that then maybe we can actually stay up". Winning brings all sorts of benefits not least of all confidence. Confidence changes everything. The passing improves, the team are calmer in defence and strikers don't tend to rush their shots. So hopefully the players will believe and maybe next time we win it will be a great performance to match the result.
I just wish we weren't playing United after their hammering....
Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 09:24 - Mar 6 with 1082 views10i

Of course we all are happy with the three points, but there are several things that need to be adressed, because we won't be that lucky every week... On a normal day we would hav at least conceded three goals, which is why I don't understand that the defense played well - they didn't. It's been three(!) totally unmarked headers about six yards out, and it's the job of the CDs with the GK to prevent that. I'd say it had been one for each of those three, with two of them coming from the left CD-side. ABK did not control that area and I wonder if he just switched off or if it is the weaker side for him to play on.
So my take would be to finally get Bazunu out, switch ABK to the right side and partner him with Salisu which for some games earlier on worked fine.

The subs were abysmal again. It seemed like AA never played football before - skied a big chance, forgot the ball while running, ran around with seemingly no aim or brain, fouled Maddison for a yellow who ran around AA like he wasn't there... Mara jogging around was not much better. These two had shown against Grimsby that L2 might be too much for them, so why bring them on for players that are far superior? Walcott had a good game, there was absoluetely no need to take him off? Onuachu had been left out of Grimsby to then sit on the bench for 90 minutes? SA was still on the bench too when those came on?

There for sure must be someone better at taking penalties at the club than JWP from now on? He seems to have a better converstion rate of his free kicks than penalties... It is 11 of 16 in the PL now, which equals a very poor 68,75%. The good ones, like Kane, Salah, Fernandes or Jorginho, are at about 90%, while the average in the PL is at about 83%, still far superior to that of JWP. Onuacho e.g. has sored 19/21 in Belgium (90,48%).
Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 09:31 - Mar 6 with 1071 viewsPatfromPoole

There seem to be a lot of fans on here voicing the same comments about the subs on Saturday.

They can’t all be wrong, surely?

We cannot keep carrying these obvious weak links.

Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 09:35 - Mar 6 with 1067 viewsfelly1

Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 09:03 - Mar 6 by SonicBoom

This forum should be a place where we can air our worries Nick. Just relentlessly "being positive" doesn't hide the facts.
Obviously a win is brilliant and if Leicester were crap that's their problem. However we won more by luck than anything else. Their strikers had a huge off day and missed three absolute sitters.
Bazunu deserves our support of course. but how you make a positive of his ridiculous charge from his line in the last minute I do not know. You are suggesting he needed to do that to put off the striker?? He rushed out for a ball he was never going to get and left the guy with a free header. Anywhere remotely downwards and it was in. All our effort would have been down the drain. He looks so panicky.
Also we were winning and decided to drop deep with 30 minutes to play. OK but why not bring on our expensive January signing that is 6 foot 7. He could hold the ball up and take some pressure off. But we don't and the ball kept coming straight back. Selles team selections and subs seem no better than Jones. He just got luckier.
BUT.....
There were indeed positives.
Alcaraz looks a great player. Bit of nastiness, bit of skill, and unlike our other midfielders, he can actually score goals. He needs to be in every game regardless of who were' playing.
And whilst I said we were lucky, we did win. Wins like that can change a season. The players might think "well if we can win playing like that then maybe we can actually stay up". Winning brings all sorts of benefits not least of all confidence. Confidence changes everything. The passing improves, the team are calmer in defence and strikers don't tend to rush their shots. So hopefully the players will believe and maybe next time we win it will be a great performance to match the result.
I just wish we weren't playing United after their hammering....

Spot on with this.
I really think our poor goalkeeper situation could be the difference between staying up or going down and SR made a massive error in not forseeing us struggling with lots of young players and what a decent experienced keeper brings to the table.
With this and a proper goal threat we'd be a decent mid table side.
I actually think we have reasonably decent defenders and there's been a definite improvement compared to the last 3 or 4 seasons.
Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 09:48 - Mar 6 with 1061 viewsHollywood56

Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 14:04 - Mar 5 by PatfromPoole

Personally I'd of liked to of seen Onuachu and Dejempo come on instead of AA and Ely. Add some speed trickery and height to the attack.
Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 09:57 - Mar 6 with 1043 viewsPatfromPoole

Southampton V Leicester City The Verdict on 09:48 - Mar 6 by Hollywood56

Personally I'd of liked to of seen Onuachu and Dejempo come on instead of AA and Ely. Add some speed trickery and height to the attack.

Would like to think that if selected, Onuachu would get some joy on Sunday, given the lack of height in United’s defence.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024