Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Angus Gunn 22:57 - Mar 27 with 2384 viewsSaintNick

Has switched his allegiances to Scotland and won his first cap tonight against Cyprus in a 3-0 victory

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Angus Gunn on 23:10 - Mar 27 with 2356 viewsPatfromPoole

Eh?

Wasn’t that on Saturday afternoon?

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Angus Gunn on 00:07 - Mar 28 with 2318 viewsChesham_Saint

Just what is the point of international sport if you can switch your allegiance on a whim?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Angus Gunn on 07:57 - Mar 28 with 2236 viewskernow

Angus Gunn on 00:07 - Mar 28 by Chesham_Saint

Just what is the point of international sport if you can switch your allegiance on a whim?

His Dad is a Scot, so not a whim.
Angus Gunn on 08:24 - Mar 28 with 2219 viewsSaintNick

Angus Gunn on 23:10 - Mar 27 by PatfromPoole

Eh?

Wasn’t that on Saturday afternoon?

You could be right I don't pay any attention to International football these days, it's even more corrupt than club football

Angus Gunn on 08:29 - Mar 28 with 2212 viewsPatfromPoole

Angus Gunn on 08:24 - Mar 28 by SaintNick

You could be right I don't pay any attention to International football these days, it's even more corrupt than club football

I’m not quite sure how one could say that with a straight face…..

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Angus Gunn on 08:32 - Mar 28 with 2210 viewsSaintNick

Angus Gunn on 08:29 - Mar 28 by PatfromPoole

I’m not quite sure how one could say that with a straight face…..

International football should be the last bastion of football as it should be, the best players selected to represent their countries, but it isn't and don't get me started on the corruption surrounding last years World Cup

Angus Gunn on 09:58 - Mar 28 with 2169 viewssaints__fan__73

Angus Gunn on 00:07 - Mar 28 by Chesham_Saint

You can only swap before you play a competitive game for a country at senior level.

At least football is better than rugby where most of the home nations teams seem to be filled with players from NZ and the Pacific Islands.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Angus Gunn on 10:27 - Mar 28 with 2155 viewssaintwizzler

He’s no Tommy FourPast or Cody Crapper f’sure.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Login to get fewer ads

Angus Gunn on 10:39 - Mar 28 with 2147 viewsChesham_Saint

Angus Gunn on 07:57 - Mar 28 by kernow

His Dad is a Scot, so not a whim.

I don’t care if his father is the elder of the Clan McGunn. You either feel Scottish or you don’t, so he had no business pulling on an England shirt in the first place.

This isn’t an “England thing” either. The same would be true in reverse. Pulling on your national shirt should be the ultimate feeling for any athlete - not a badge of convenience.

Angus Gunn on 10:42 - Mar 28 with 2141 viewssaints__fan__73

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tommy-forecast-7590251b8/?originalSubdomain=uk

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Angus Gunn on 12:10 - Mar 28 with 2099 viewsSaintNick

Angus Gunn on 10:39 - Mar 28 by Chesham_Saint

I don’t care if his father is the elder of the Clan McGunn. You either feel Scottish or you don’t, so he had no business pulling on an England shirt in the first place.

This isn’t an “England thing” either. The same would be true in reverse. Pulling on your national shirt should be the ultimate feeling for any athlete - not a badge of convenience.

Declan Rice is a case in kind, played for the Republic Of Ireland youth sides and clearly that was were his allegiance was, then after 3 (non competitive) appearances turned down call ups for ROI whilst he considered his position, after 5 months he opted for England as obviously that was were all the glory was compared to ROI.

This is a perfect example of the abuse the system allows, the ability to abandon your country if a better offer comes along, the fact that he is said to be best friends with Mason Mount tells you a lot about it, Mount is the World's biggest Pompey fan except when it came to deciding where his football future lay and joined Chelsea rather than Pompey

Angus Gunn on 12:20 - Mar 28 with 2092 viewsdirk_doone

Most professional sports are mercenary: football, rugby, cricket, athletics, baseball, basketball, etc etc. Players move around from one team to another and frequently represent nations other than the ones they were born in. It's been like that for years. Armies are the same, for example, Nepalese soldiers have been fighting for the British army for years, and if you go back in history, soldiers have frequently switched their allegiances. That's life.

Anyway, more importantly, at 27, Angus Gunn is beginning to reach his peak. He is probably a lot better now than he was when he was as a youngster here. I guess we'll be saying the same about Bazunu in 6 years' time, whoever he is playing for then.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2023 12:27]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Angus Gunn on 14:45 - Mar 28 with 2004 viewsSpringhill_old_boy

Angus Gunn on 12:10 - Mar 28 by SaintNick

Declan Rice is a case in kind, played for the Republic Of Ireland youth sides and clearly that was were his allegiance was, then after 3 (non competitive) appearances turned down call ups for ROI whilst he considered his position, after 5 months he opted for England as obviously that was were all the glory was compared to ROI.

This is a perfect example of the abuse the system allows, the ability to abandon your country if a better offer comes along, the fact that he is said to be best friends with Mason Mount tells you a lot about it, Mount is the World's biggest Pompey fan except when it came to deciding where his football future lay and joined Chelsea rather than Pompey

Ditto Jack feckin Grealish
Angus Gunn on 17:21 - Mar 28 with 1968 viewskernow

Angus Gunn on 10:39 - Mar 28 by Chesham_Saint

I don't know how or what he feels, do you?

Maybe he feels a sense of entitlement.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2023 17:22]
Angus Gunn on 18:15 - Mar 28 with 1942 viewsChesham_Saint

Angus Gunn on 17:21 - Mar 28 by kernow

I don't know how or what he feels, do you?

Maybe he feels a sense of entitlement.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2023 17:22]

Let’s put it this way.. imagine you’re pulling on the red shirt for Wales against NZ in the rugby. You’ve got to be prepared to shed blood for your mates and the country you love.

Angus Gunn on 19:10 - Mar 28 with 1921 viewsdirk_doone

Angus Gunn on 18:15 - Mar 28 by Chesham_Saint

Let’s put it this way.. imagine you’re pulling on the red shirt for Wales against NZ in the rugby. You’ve got to be prepared to shed blood for your mates and the country you love.

Especially if you're Taulupe Faletau from Tonga or Christ Tshiunza from the Congo.

Angus Gunn on 20:34 - Mar 28 with 1890 viewsdirk_doone

Angus Gunn on 12:10 - Mar 28 by SaintNick

Declan Rice was born and brought up in Kingston upon Thames and both his parents were born in England as well so he hardly abandoned his country by choosing England.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2023 20:47]

Angus Gunn on 21:44 - Mar 28 with 1825 viewsMytchettSaint

Angus Gunn on 19:10 - Mar 28 by dirk_doone

Especially if you're Taulupe Faletau from Tonga or Christ Tshiunza from the Congo.

Or even Dylan Hartley from New Zealand who captained England

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Angus Gunn on 08:24 - Mar 29 with 1668 viewsChesham_Saint

Angus Gunn on 19:10 - Mar 28 by dirk_doone

So? Rupert Moon was born in England but was passionate about Wales. You don’t have to be born somewhere to love the place. It’s those who flip flop between countries to enhance their chances of being an international that debase the whole concept of international sport.

Angus Gunn on 12:38 - Mar 29 with 1604 viewsTimSaint

Angus Gunn on 08:24 - Mar 29 by Chesham_Saint

So? Rupert Moon was born in England but was passionate about Wales. You don’t have to be born somewhere to love the place. It’s those who flip flop between countries to enhance their chances of being an international that debase the whole concept of international sport.

How about our own Che McAdams ?

Born in Leicester and able to represent England and Antigua through parentage. Opted for England and played a couple of U20 games.

No chance of making the England senior squad, so opted for Scotland, courtesy of a Scottish Grandmother !!

TimSaint

Angus Gunn on 12:52 - Mar 29 with 1592 viewskernow

If the rules allow it to happen what's the problem?
Personally, I don't have one.
Anyone who doesn't like it can lobby and petition for the rules to be changed, or alternatively, have a good old rant on a football message board.
Angus Gunn on 14:31 - Mar 29 with 1562 viewsTimSaint

Angus Gunn on 12:52 - Mar 29 by kernow

Anyone who doesn't like it can lobby and petition for the rules to be changed, or alternatively, have a good old rant on a football message board.

Under Jack Charlton, you only needed to like Guinness or have an Irish Setter to be eligible to play for the Republic of Ireland !! :-)

......just ask Cascarino or our old mate Andy Townsend !!

TimSaint

Angus Gunn on 18:58 - Mar 29 with 1519 viewsdirk_doone

Angus Gunn on 12:38 - Mar 29 by TimSaint

How about our own Che McAdams ?

Born in Leicester and able to represent England and Antigua through parentage. Opted for England and played a couple of U20 games.

No chance of making the England senior squad, so opted for Scotland, courtesy of a Scottish Grandmother !!

Scotland may be regretting that decision. They discovered last night that they are a lot better off without him.

There should be some minimum qualification rule that the player has to have visited the country before he's selected to play for it. I'm not sure that either Che Adams or Italy's latest striker, Retegui, had. The Qatari national athletics team is bought wholesale from East Africa but they at least get to spend some time in Qatar before representing it in the Olympics.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2023 19:06]

Angus Gunn on 21:46 - Mar 29 with 1468 viewscotswoldsaint

There's a simple answer to all this:

Q: How do you tell a Scotsman's clan?

A: Look under his kilt, if he's got a quarter-pounder, he's a MacDonald !
Angus Gunn on 12:07 - Mar 30 with 1365 viewsSaintNick

Angus Gunn on 12:52 - Mar 29 by kernow

Im not sure anyone can lobby or petition for it to be changed, but in my book International football should be the last bastion of football, it not about a club being able to buy their way to the top, it is about country V country pitting the best that a nation can offer.

That means that everyone should be eligible for the country, not just players, but the manager as well, it demeans it for me if a team with a number of players with a grandparent from that country are coached by a top manager who has been paid big bucks to manage a country he has absolutely no allegiance to

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024