Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dobo on the podcast 10:11 - May 5 with 11809 viewsconnell10

I was really impressed with him. He was honest , intelligent and has set my mind at rest a fair bit! Also he totally gets Rangers!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Dobo on the podcast on 16:30 - May 5 with 3535 viewsDorse

Dobbo made mention of 'intensity' in training and that we're not at the Wycombe level yet. Can't say I'm surprised but you can see that we've upped the physical side of things recently.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Dobo on the podcast on 16:51 - May 5 with 3440 viewsdmm

There is a depth to Dobson's and Ainsworth's football philosophy that obviously developed over their years at Wycombe together. The club culture they fostered there is, I think, one of the main reasons they've been brought in. I find this very encouraging.

I am still concerned about the style of football we'll be playing next season. Dobson says they're not long ball merchants which is good to hear but he also indicated they have to cut their cloth according to the quality they have.

I was pleased to hear Dobson's enthusiasm for developing young players and hope we see that played out in the continuation of the club's player development strategy.
Dobo on the podcast on 16:55 - May 5 with 3416 viewsPunteR

Dobo on the podcast on 16:51 - May 5 by dmm

There is a depth to Dobson's and Ainsworth's football philosophy that obviously developed over their years at Wycombe together. The club culture they fostered there is, I think, one of the main reasons they've been brought in. I find this very encouraging.

I am still concerned about the style of football we'll be playing next season. Dobson says they're not long ball merchants which is good to hear but he also indicated they have to cut their cloth according to the quality they have.

I was pleased to hear Dobson's enthusiasm for developing young players and hope we see that played out in the continuation of the club's player development strategy.

"I was pleased to hear Dobson's enthusiasm for developing young players and hope we see that played out in the continuation of the club's player development strategy."

They all say that. Must be written in the contract.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Dobo on the podcast on 17:01 - May 5 with 3395 viewswesty

Dobo on the podcast on 13:03 - May 5 by E15Hoop

Briiliant listen. This guy is a true gem, and its nice to see now why the sceptics amongst you lot are now finally starting to believe what I've been banging on about for these last couple of weeks. Literally ALL your questions should now have been answered, including all the rubbish that has been spouted about GA's chosen style of play going forwards.

They’ll still come for us mate. Though it seems like one has disappeared. Can only hope I suppose.
I honestly cannot understand the glass half empty brigade.
I suppose that’s the beauty of football it really is all about opinions.
However I’ve seen plenty of GA first hand over the years both in and around match days and the training ground to firmly believe in my opinions of him and his coaching staff.
He won’t get it right all the time but in GA and Dobbo we have two people who care so much for this club and whilst that does not guarantee success it does guarantee work ethic and loyalty something QPR should be thankful for and appreciate what he will bring to the club if given the time.
Dobo on the podcast on 17:10 - May 5 with 3374 viewsQPRcounsellor

Dobo on the podcast on 16:51 - May 5 by dmm

"I am still concerned about the style of football we'll be playing next season. Dobson says they're not long ball merchants which is good to hear but he also indicated they have to cut their cloth according to the quality they have".

Sounds like commonsense to me, and a good thing. We don't want to be playing fancy football if we don't have the players to do it.
Dobo on the podcast on 17:18 - May 5 with 3341 viewsE15Hoop

Dobo on the podcast on 17:01 - May 5 by westy

They’ll still come for us mate. Though it seems like one has disappeared. Can only hope I suppose.
I honestly cannot understand the glass half empty brigade.
I suppose that’s the beauty of football it really is all about opinions.
However I’ve seen plenty of GA first hand over the years both in and around match days and the training ground to firmly believe in my opinions of him and his coaching staff.
He won’t get it right all the time but in GA and Dobbo we have two people who care so much for this club and whilst that does not guarantee success it does guarantee work ethic and loyalty something QPR should be thankful for and appreciate what he will bring to the club if given the time.

Cheers, me old china
I genuinely believe its no accident that these two are here 20 years on from 2003-4. Its a similar sort of period in the club's cycle in terms of the finances (although we have much better security than we did back then, of course).
I do believe over time even the harshest critics will be won over and many people will look back over this period with fondness. I've had many long chats with Marc Bircham over the years about this (who's the best mate of an old work mate of mine) and he always talks in the same way that Ollie used to about this club being a proper working man's (sorry, person's) club, and that we should embrace that historical dirty urchin street fighter mentality that got lost when Tango and Cash poured their ill gotten gains into the club and made us apparently a "boutique" (although it was one in which the clothes were too expensive, and no-one wanted to buy them off us). Isee next season and the seasons to come as a return to our true roots, but updated for Gen Z (or whatever they call themselves now).
Anyway, when everyone else is doubting, there's always you, me, R from Afar and a few other friends in the wilderness to have each others' backs!
I'd better disappear as too many people are sick of hearing my voice for now - so take care and enjoy the weekend!
Dobo on the podcast on 17:25 - May 5 with 3326 viewswesty

Dobo on the podcast on 17:18 - May 5 by E15Hoop

Cheers, me old china
I genuinely believe its no accident that these two are here 20 years on from 2003-4. Its a similar sort of period in the club's cycle in terms of the finances (although we have much better security than we did back then, of course).
I do believe over time even the harshest critics will be won over and many people will look back over this period with fondness. I've had many long chats with Marc Bircham over the years about this (who's the best mate of an old work mate of mine) and he always talks in the same way that Ollie used to about this club being a proper working man's (sorry, person's) club, and that we should embrace that historical dirty urchin street fighter mentality that got lost when Tango and Cash poured their ill gotten gains into the club and made us apparently a "boutique" (although it was one in which the clothes were too expensive, and no-one wanted to buy them off us). Isee next season and the seasons to come as a return to our true roots, but updated for Gen Z (or whatever they call themselves now).
Anyway, when everyone else is doubting, there's always you, me, R from Afar and a few other friends in the wilderness to have each others' backs!
I'd better disappear as too many people are sick of hearing my voice for now - so take care and enjoy the weekend!

Very true mate. Yes enjoy your long weekend and let’s hope for a win on Monday. Take good care 👊
Dobo on the podcast on 17:37 - May 5 with 3282 viewsPhilmyRs

I did really like the interview, and the guy comes across well and a passionate fan that’s got his dream job. I really want him to succeed and does make a sceptic like me feel guilty for being critical of them because they seem genuine, if a little David Brent at times. Overall I do like what he say’s and the passion he has for the club.

There is obviously a fair few cheerleaders for this management team, especially on this board but statements like “all questions should now have been answered” is clearly wrong. I can list countless people I’ve heard speak a good game, but when it comes to it what they deliver is not as they described. As others have said, ‘the proof is in the pudding’ so we have to wait and see. Without taking anything away from the interview, which was great, there were still snippets which doesn't convince me we'll find it easy to retain or convince certain players to sign for us. For example, he speaks well of Chair, but emphasising how understanding his position in the team is key, and uses his performance at Burnley where he hardly touched the ball - Ramsey said it's the best Chair has played without the ball since he's been with us - yet still managed to get 2 shots away so while he didn't have lot's of ball, his key metrics were still good. I personally don’t believe players like Chair will easily buy into this approach of spending large parts of games without the ball and making sure they are positionally sound because they'll still get a couple of opportunities to showcase their talent during the game. I think they live for having the ball at their feet, not watching others have it.

Overall though, I really liked the interview.
[Post edited 5 May 2023 17:38]
Login to get fewer ads

Dobo on the podcast on 19:20 - May 5 with 3136 viewsCateLeBonR

It's nice to hear people talking about the club in the long term. I can't remember the last time I heard anyone talk about lack of culture at the club. LF has improved our treatment of former players but it goes much deeper than that. I hope they're here a long time and I hope it works out.
Dobo on the podcast on 19:56 - May 5 with 3077 viewsthehat

Wow brilliant podcast well done Paul and the gang for putting this on.

I really believe the future looks a lot brighter - Yes there will be bumps along the way but if we all stick together this club can go places again.

See you Monday.

Come on you R’rrrs
Dobo on the podcast on 20:14 - May 5 with 3041 viewsDejR_vu

There were a few podcasts around when they were appointed. He came across really well in those as well. He sounds like the coach we thought we were getting with Beale, just without the Bealeshit.

He and GA seem to be very different in terms of personality and roles; interesting to hear him say that GA had said he wouldn’t have come here without him. They obviously compliment each other and they’ve been successful together. Let’s hope that carries on here.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Dobo on the podcast on 21:56 - May 5 with 2887 viewsstainrods_elbow

Dobo on the podcast on 13:07 - May 5 by Superhoop83

I rarely call things right with our club, but I suspected Beale was a wrong 'un from the first moment I saw him. The second biggest charlatan to manage QPR, beaten only by Redknapp.

Just out of interest, when did you forewarn us all about that?

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Dobo on the podcast on 23:15 - May 5 with 2819 viewsMrSheen

Can hardly complain about the content of a free podcast, but it does frustrate me a little that they don’t listen to their interviewee’s answers and just press ahead with their prepared questions. Dobson complained about the players’ fitness so the obvious questions are…
How do you improve it?
How does it affect recruitment and retention?
What does this mean for our medical/physio team?
How do they square this focus on fitness with a 34-year-old captain?
[Post edited 5 May 2023 23:17]
Dobo on the podcast on 06:46 - May 6 with 2654 views08olesen

I he thought he came across well.

My fear is that we keep saying 'we dont have this..., we cant do that... FFP etc.' and it just sounds like we are beaten already. Luton, Milwall, Huddersfield (in the past) have shown you dont need to have huge resources to do well in this league. Our aim should be top 6 next year. I dont want to get to the point where we are grateful for 16th and I get that feeling when i listen to GA.

I would go back to Warbs in a second, but I can understand why others dont want to.

Poll: Who will the other play off

Dobo on the podcast on 10:09 - May 6 with 2478 viewsQPRSteve

Dobo on the podcast on 06:46 - May 6 by 08olesen

I he thought he came across well.

My fear is that we keep saying 'we dont have this..., we cant do that... FFP etc.' and it just sounds like we are beaten already. Luton, Milwall, Huddersfield (in the past) have shown you dont need to have huge resources to do well in this league. Our aim should be top 6 next year. I dont want to get to the point where we are grateful for 16th and I get that feeling when i listen to GA.

I would go back to Warbs in a second, but I can understand why others dont want to.

Ainsworth has said he is determined that we will be competitive next season.

I am hoping that their knowledge of the lower divisions will bring in a few gems. I feel quite upbeat about next season.
[Post edited 6 May 2023 12:26]
Dobo on the podcast on 10:22 - May 6 with 2450 viewsozexile

Really impressed with him. I don't care if we kick a few teams in there next season if I'm honest. Just wanna see us competitive again.
Dobo on the podcast on 12:16 - May 6 with 2345 viewsderbyhoop

Very impressive.
Confirmation that the side they inherited was mentally weak. Because of that the long run of defeats was no surprise.
Will be interesting to see how this develops. Fitness levels improved, younger players brought on when ready, a better culture, pragmatic. Hopefully competitive.
Who will leave and who we recruit will be they key to next season.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Dobo on the podcast on 12:42 - May 6 with 2287 viewsdutch

Dobo on the podcast on 17:37 - May 5 by PhilmyRs

I did really like the interview, and the guy comes across well and a passionate fan that’s got his dream job. I really want him to succeed and does make a sceptic like me feel guilty for being critical of them because they seem genuine, if a little David Brent at times. Overall I do like what he say’s and the passion he has for the club.

There is obviously a fair few cheerleaders for this management team, especially on this board but statements like “all questions should now have been answered” is clearly wrong. I can list countless people I’ve heard speak a good game, but when it comes to it what they deliver is not as they described. As others have said, ‘the proof is in the pudding’ so we have to wait and see. Without taking anything away from the interview, which was great, there were still snippets which doesn't convince me we'll find it easy to retain or convince certain players to sign for us. For example, he speaks well of Chair, but emphasising how understanding his position in the team is key, and uses his performance at Burnley where he hardly touched the ball - Ramsey said it's the best Chair has played without the ball since he's been with us - yet still managed to get 2 shots away so while he didn't have lot's of ball, his key metrics were still good. I personally don’t believe players like Chair will easily buy into this approach of spending large parts of games without the ball and making sure they are positionally sound because they'll still get a couple of opportunities to showcase their talent during the game. I think they live for having the ball at their feet, not watching others have it.

Overall though, I really liked the interview.
[Post edited 5 May 2023 17:38]

I agree with everything you say except"'the proof is in the pudding." No it isn't 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating".
Dobo on the podcast on 12:44 - May 6 with 2277 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dobo on the podcast on 12:42 - May 6 by dutch

I agree with everything you say except"'the proof is in the pudding." No it isn't 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating".

Dammit.
I got that one wrong as well!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dobo on the podcast on 16:29 - May 6 with 2087 viewsAndybrat

You know what, I feel we have a plan again
Dobo on the podcast on 17:07 - May 6 with 1997 viewsEsox_Lucius

Dobo on the podcast on 13:07 - May 5 by Superhoop83

I rarely call things right with our club, but I suspected Beale was a wrong 'un from the first moment I saw him. The second biggest charlatan to manage QPR, beaten only by Redknapp.

I think you'll find Redknapp takes the top three spots with Hughes claiming the next two to close out the top five.

The grass is always greener.

Dobo on the podcast on 19:06 - May 6 with 1916 viewsnumptydumpty

Intelligent man seen in QPR dugout shock !!

Top interview. Very encouraging.

Preseason and up until Xmas will give us an idea if Dobson and Ainsworth can bring to the table what they are hopeful of achieving.

Watch this space.

At least with more hope than previous..

We will see...

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Dobo on the podcast on 20:15 - May 6 with 1800 viewsB_Wad

Liked that interview and was impressed although he and GA seem to be saying don't expect too much next year, it's going to take awhile to build their vision. It seems like let's avoid a relegation scrap and build from there.

Once again, building a team and culture from scratch. Not something that builds confidence in the DOF.
Dobo on the podcast on 11:10 - May 7 with 1507 viewsE15Hoop

Dobo on the podcast on 20:15 - May 6 by B_Wad

Liked that interview and was impressed although he and GA seem to be saying don't expect too much next year, it's going to take awhile to build their vision. It seems like let's avoid a relegation scrap and build from there.

Once again, building a team and culture from scratch. Not something that builds confidence in the DOF.

I'm not sure you can blame that last part too much on the DoF, can you? isn't thst as much to do with the natural movement that happens with players reaching the ends of their contracts and us not being able to offer as much as other clubs due to the impact of FFP?
Also to be fair to Sir Les, he was the first person to actually modernise the club's general Code of Conduct when he first came in to the role.
With all the madness of the Tango and Cash reign and then Tony Fernandes blowing his wad on embedding hubris into the club, its no real surprise that there wasn't a healthy base foundational culture set at that time. When you have the amount of player movement that we've had (along with most other clubs to be fair) it's again not really a massive surprise that you have to consciously reset cultural values and make sure that everyone is pulling in the same direction.
Dobo on the podcast on 12:01 - May 7 with 1420 viewsdmm

Dobo on the podcast on 11:10 - May 7 by E15Hoop

I'm not sure you can blame that last part too much on the DoF, can you? isn't thst as much to do with the natural movement that happens with players reaching the ends of their contracts and us not being able to offer as much as other clubs due to the impact of FFP?
Also to be fair to Sir Les, he was the first person to actually modernise the club's general Code of Conduct when he first came in to the role.
With all the madness of the Tango and Cash reign and then Tony Fernandes blowing his wad on embedding hubris into the club, its no real surprise that there wasn't a healthy base foundational culture set at that time. When you have the amount of player movement that we've had (along with most other clubs to be fair) it's again not really a massive surprise that you have to consciously reset cultural values and make sure that everyone is pulling in the same direction.

While I agree with you that Ferdinand did well when he first came, as I think most Rs fans do, it would be hard to retain the same opinion of him in recent years. As the director of football things like the club's culture, players' recruitment, players' retention and release, and players' contracts are all his particular responsibility.

No doubt he has to work within challenging restrictions but that's the same for most Championship clubs. Ferdinand therefore cannot be blameless for where we've ended up this season.

It would be no surprise to me if he left in the summer, the director of football position scrapped, and Ainsworth and Dobson were given full control of the football side of things.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024