Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league 23:04 - May 30 with 7871 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

https://www.givemesport.com/premier-league-clubs-ranked-by-how-many-emoty-seats-

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 17:02 - May 31 with 1547 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 17:00 - May 31 by Wints76

Is this a new Portsmyth being born in front of our eyes?

Maybe he is on about the second division game when you had 1,800 or so turn up?

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 17:05 - May 31 with 1542 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 16:38 - May 31 by franniesTache

Yes i can very easily explain your large gate as it's pretty well documented, it was in 1949 and Portsmouth was still home to a significant number of conscripted navy men, those navy bolstered the crowd significantly.

What's interesting is you can actually see the drop off when the Navy was no longer conscripted and stationed for war.

Now if you look at the period from 1960 to now (63 years) you can actually see the real support.

Which is a high of around 16k-19k and for the most part being around the 12k-14k mark.

Obviously there's a few fluctuations for you, the premier league blip that's an anomaly in your history meaning more turned up, and of course the years in the 90s where you got sub 10k at home, plus a very impressive 2k for an FA Cup game in the 1980s.

I mean aside from 2/3 seasons in over half a century you've had lower support than us, and withdean aside lower support than brighton.

F*CKING PASHUUUUN that.

I mean if PASHUUUUN actually means complete delusion and a pretty sh*t support

,,,,, or maybe we were just very successful, and got large crowds, with a few visitors rocking up ie to see a glory team.

Its a bit similar to when you had Keegan , Moran and Channon and the like, and you got up to 32,000 which was very impressive TBH

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 17:07 - May 31 with 1536 viewsWints76

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 17:02 - May 31 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Maybe he is on about the second division game when you had 1,800 or so turn up?

If he/she was, they need to be clearer and say that, rather than saying "Premier League"
Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 18:13 - May 31 with 1502 viewshedgeend61

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 13:39 - May 31 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

I think we had enough passssssssssion to back the team to a bit of glory now and again, but enough nous to realise when the owners weren't really bothered.

Can you explain why your maximum ever gate is around 20,000 lower than ours? I do struggle to understand that one

Charlton had a maximum ever gate of 33,000 more than West Ham (Upton Park)
and 13,000 (new ground).

Cos maybe they had a bigger ground? What yous struggling with?
Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 18:53 - May 31 with 1461 viewsHeisenberg

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 13:51 - May 31 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Because they were the good times.

Good times, bad times, an old Zep song for you

Ramble on.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 19:31 - May 31 with 1452 viewsBLEEDRED

Yes it's a fact, after the war up to 33% of the crowd were service personal and just went to see a game of football, no only support one team in those days, it was a day out with your mates. Attendances steady dropped over the next 20 years.
Just like the other myths that the club never gave away free tickets to service personal (I took one while based in Portsmouth in the 70's!!). When an American Aircraft Carrier visited in the 70's the club offered free tickets to a game, unfortunately the take-up was zero.
Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 01:59 - Jun 1 with 1402 viewsLondonSaint76

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 16:38 - May 31 by franniesTache

Yes i can very easily explain your large gate as it's pretty well documented, it was in 1949 and Portsmouth was still home to a significant number of conscripted navy men, those navy bolstered the crowd significantly.

What's interesting is you can actually see the drop off when the Navy was no longer conscripted and stationed for war.

Now if you look at the period from 1960 to now (63 years) you can actually see the real support.

Which is a high of around 16k-19k and for the most part being around the 12k-14k mark.

Obviously there's a few fluctuations for you, the premier league blip that's an anomaly in your history meaning more turned up, and of course the years in the 90s where you got sub 10k at home, plus a very impressive 2k for an FA Cup game in the 1980s.

I mean aside from 2/3 seasons in over half a century you've had lower support than us, and withdean aside lower support than brighton.

F*CKING PASHUUUUN that.

I mean if PASHUUUUN actually means complete delusion and a pretty sh*t support

Spot on Frannies T - and here's a good little gem of a stat if 130 really needs any more convincing on an argument where he's on a hiding to nothing. Christmas 2009, (so not like throwing stats at us from the days when it was open terraces and everyone wore a flat cap to the game) Saints are in League 1 and play Exeter City on Boxing Day in front of a crowd of 30,890 - and that wasn't even the promotion season... That's PASHUUUUN without doubt. Can they who lurk in the blue quarter of Hampshire (it'll never be half) match that without resorting to the Goodnight Sweetheart's time portal? Nah, course not - partly because poxy old Fratton Park can't even hold that size of crowd in the modern era. That reminds me, Fratton Park, it's got to be one of THE best double semordnilaps in the English language. What's that? I hear 130 say - well, standard palindromes are words spelt or said backwards that mean the same (level, radar ect) but semordnilaps are words said / spelt backwards that take on a different meaning, so, as I'm sure a lot of you may already know, Fratton Park becomes KRAP NOTT ARF - enough said...

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 07:24 - Jun 1 with 1376 viewsPortchy_Blue

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 17:07 - May 31 by Wints76

If he/she was, they need to be clearer and say that, rather than saying "Premier League"

https://blog.mansion.com/sports/football/five-smallest-premier-league-crowds/

To be fair, my favourite bit is stated "Southampton regularly struggled to filled their South Coast home.....several gates around the 9-10000 mark."

Tinpot.
Login to get fewer ads

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 07:36 - Jun 1 with 1368 viewsTripleNiemi

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 07:24 - Jun 1 by Portchy_Blue

To be fair, my favourite bit is stated "Southampton regularly struggled to filled their South Coast home.....several gates around the 9-10000 mark."

Tinpot.

Talking of Tinpot; just how many charities did your lot screw over?

Lowest of the low……..

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 07:44 - Jun 1 with 1356 viewsPatfromPoole

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 07:24 - Jun 1 by Portchy_Blue

Tinpot.

Is 2,731 for a League Cup game tinpot enough for you?

https://www.playmakerstats.com/match.php?id=2761371

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 08:29 - Jun 1 with 1336 viewsWints76

Tinpot.

So if I look at Wimbledon attendances in 92/3, I won't find any lower attendances? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992%E2%80%9393_Wimbledon_F.C._season

I was at that Ipswich game. People stayed away because of Branfoot. He was gone a month later.

I was also at SMS on the night that we got almost twice as many fans for a JPT game against MK Dons as you got the same night for a Premier League game against Sunderland.

It's all dull stuff, isn't it?
Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 08:40 - Jun 1 with 1329 viewsPatfromPoole

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 08:29 - Jun 1 by Wints76

So if I look at Wimbledon attendances in 92/3, I won't find any lower attendances? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992%E2%80%9393_Wimbledon_F.C._season

I was at that Ipswich game. People stayed away because of Branfoot. He was gone a month later.

I was also at SMS on the night that we got almost twice as many fans for a JPT game against MK Dons as you got the same night for a Premier League game against Sunderland.

It's all dull stuff, isn't it?

I was at that Ipswich game.

If memory serves, it was an early exclusive of the infamous Ruben Selles 4-6-0 formation. And we filled the midfield with 35 year-olds.

Pretty it was not.

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 22:54 - Jun 1 with 1257 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 18:13 - May 31 by hedgeend61

Charlton had a maximum ever gate of 33,000 more than West Ham (Upton Park)
and 13,000 (new ground).

Cos maybe they had a bigger ground? What yous struggling with?

Well, how come you have had a 32.5k ground for over 2 decades and have only once averaged over 31k just the once?

Lots of years in the top flight as well, in a shiny new stadium

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 23:54 - Jun 1 with 1235 viewsPatfromPoole

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 22:54 - Jun 1 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Well, how come you have had a 32.5k ground for over 2 decades and have only once averaged over 31k just the once?

Lots of years in the top flight as well, in a shiny new stadium

When did Portsmouth last average over 20,000?

2004/05; by a whole 74 people.

As for your average in 1996/97 😳😳😳 (8,854)…..

https://www.transfermarkt.co.in/fc-portsmouth/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/1

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 09:17 - Jun 2 with 1189 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 23:54 - Jun 1 by PatfromPoole

When did Portsmouth last average over 20,000?

2004/05; by a whole 74 people.

As for your average in 1996/97 😳😳😳 (8,854)…..

https://www.transfermarkt.co.in/fc-portsmouth/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/1

Stadium size fella, stadium size fella.

ie jjust like all your attendances of 14-15k in the top flight.

Obvs - stadium size doesn't explain the Port Vale game at the Dell. The most embarrassing south coast attendance of all time.

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 23:01 - Jun 2 with 1141 viewshedgeend61

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 09:17 - Jun 2 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Stadium size fella, stadium size fella.

ie jjust like all your attendances of 14-15k in the top flight.

Obvs - stadium size doesn't explain the Port Vale game at the Dell. The most embarrassing south coast attendance of all time.

So when you said,

"Can you explain why your maximum ever gate is around 20,000 lower than ours?
I do struggle to understand that one"

Is the answer not, Stadium size fella?

'Fratton Park's maximum capacity reached a potential for 58,000 supporters in 1935 after the North Stand and North Terrace were rebuilt,[6] but was reduced to 52,000 for safety reasons after the Burnden Park disaster of 1946.[7]'

So you never got near filling to capacity?, barely got a crow of over 50k, and on average 15k short of capacity when you won 2 titles, that nobody alive can remember.

Can't be correct can it?
Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 23:13 - Jun 2 with 1123 viewsWestEndBoy

12000 v port vale? I suggest you check Pompey history records mate when you mention embarrasing attendances
Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 23:41 - Jun 2 with 1103 viewshedgeend61

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 23:13 - Jun 2 by WestEndBoy

12000 v port vale? I suggest you check Pompey history records mate when you mention embarrasing attendances

Think 130's going back pre war fella, nobody alive would remember it
Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 08:41 - Jun 3 with 1039 viewsMattFinish

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 09:04 - May 31 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

It looks alright to be honest, but FP certainly is a bit of a classic stadium now, unlike your stadium. You can't buy history can you!

No but you can buy cup finals at the tax payers expense
Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 10:35 - Jun 3 with 1016 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 23:01 - Jun 2 by hedgeend61

So when you said,

"Can you explain why your maximum ever gate is around 20,000 lower than ours?
I do struggle to understand that one"

Is the answer not, Stadium size fella?

'Fratton Park's maximum capacity reached a potential for 58,000 supporters in 1935 after the North Stand and North Terrace were rebuilt,[6] but was reduced to 52,000 for safety reasons after the Burnden Park disaster of 1946.[7]'

So you never got near filling to capacity?, barely got a crow of over 50k, and on average 15k short of capacity when you won 2 titles, that nobody alive can remember.

Can't be correct can it?

I think we have been here before. its alright stadium builders building a 58k space when there was no health and safety issues, and peeps were packed in like sardines, but the reality is that the 50k attendances at FP were maxed out.

But your club has had over 130 yrs to sort a decent sized stadium out in its entire history, but has failed. It must be the punter fault eh?

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 10:47 - Jun 3 with 1005 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 23:13 - Jun 2 by WestEndBoy

I suggest you look at this.

But maybe don't tell anyone you have seen it eh?

https://www.11v11.com/matches/southampton-v-port-vale-30-march-1936-102195/

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 10:50 - Jun 3 with 1000 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 07:44 - Jun 1 by PatfromPoole

Is 2,731 for a League Cup game tinpot enough for you?

https://www.playmakerstats.com/match.php?id=2761371

Nothing compares to the Port Vale low

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 10:51 - Jun 3 with 999 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 08:41 - Jun 3 by MattFinish

No but you can buy cup finals at the tax payers expense

Why don't you try to explain this ridiculous statement

Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 16:06 - Jun 3 with 953 viewsWestEndBoy

Maybe have a look at some of your pizza trophy attendances in the last few years … or perhaps the testimonial game a few days after you won the fa cup in 08….
Saying we are top of the league, we are top of the league on 16:08 - Jun 3 with 952 viewsWestEndBoy

Makes me laugh everyone and their gran got a ticket for Pompeys cup final … a lot of people who hadn’t been to fratton in 20 years got a ticket
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024