Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Predicted League table for next season 07:50 - May 31 with 6891 viewsPatfromPoole

Notoriously probably the most difficult league in the world to predict, but this would be my current prediction, based on Russell Martin being appointed and then out on his ear by November:-

1. Middlesbrough
2. Watford

3. Norwich
4. Leeds
5. Sunderland (promoted in play-offs)
6. West Brom

7. Stoke
8. Millwall
9. Leicester
10. Birmingham
11. Coventry
12. Blackburn
13. Preston
14. Swansea
15. Ipswich
16. Sheff Wed
17. Saints
18. Bristol City
19. Hull
20. Plymouth
21. Cardiff

22. QPR
23. Rotherham
24. Huddersfield

I think our best chance of getting back up is the season after next. This season is going to be full of disruption again, can see us having 2 or 3 managers by the end of May next year.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Predicted League table for next season on 08:03 - May 31 with 4400 viewsPatfromPoole

Before people start to mock…..

If it wasn’t for Reading’s 6-point deduction, Cardiff would have been relegated last season; they won 13 games last season. We won 6.

Anybody thinking we are suddenly going to go from winning 6 games in a season up to 20 (which is what you need to get in the play-offs) is wildly optimistic, when the whole nucleus of our team needs an overhaul, right through the spine of the team.

Predicted League table for next season on 08:26 - May 31 with 4358 viewsCenturion

17th in the Premier league is relatively successful but I would feel disappointed if that was our position in the Championship.
Predicted League table for next season on 08:34 - May 31 with 4344 viewsA1079

It is a very tough league Pat and there are some very good sides amongst that list.

I can see the top 6 changing regularly. One of the relegated sides will be in that top 6 but I don't think it will be us. We have a lot to sort out in the club and the season is little more than 8 weeks away. We are traditionally slow starters but I hope we build as the season progresses.

Realistically, I think we need to keep our expectations reasonable without being defeatist. I would hope we will do alot better than the 17th you are predicting and I would consider around 10th as a reasonable first year.
Predicted League table for next season on 08:43 - May 31 with 4332 viewscocklebreath

We won’t be as bad as 17th, I’ll go 5th. Think we’ll buy some good championship players and score lots of goals, might concede too many but it’ll be fun. Just checked only 3 teams in the league who don’t have recent history in top league, Plymouth, Rotherham and Preston. Really looking forward to this season.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Predicted League table for next season on 10:29 - May 31 with 4270 viewsdirk_doone

Predicted League table for next season on 08:26 - May 31 by Centurion

17th in the Premier league is relatively successful but I would feel disappointed if that was our position in the Championship.

MK Dons finished 19th in League One after Russell Martin's first season there and Swansea finished 15th in the Championship so 17th wouldn't be surprising if he were our manager.

Remember at Swansea he was taking over at a team that had finished 6th and 4th the previous 2 seasons under Cooper, so you'd have expected them to make the play offs again under a decent manager and I think we could too if we appoint one. We saw against Liverpool that the attacking talent is there if we have the right tactics. We just need a decent goalkeeper.
[Post edited 31 May 2023 10:45]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Predicted League table for next season on 10:34 - May 31 with 4253 viewsPatfromPoole

Norwich normally come straight back up when they get relegated, and they only finished 13th last season.

Predicted League table for next season on 10:55 - May 31 with 4226 viewsIfonly

Remember, we took Jones and that led to Luton being promoted. So, by the same logic, there's a good chance of Swansea being promoted next year ...
Predicted League table for next season on 12:28 - May 31 with 4162 viewssledger

bloo=y hell there are some doom and gloom merchants on this site,no so called big 6/7 beatings to look forward to,we will score more goals,we will have more wins and we will start the season with a chance to finish anywhere in the league instead of wondering where our 40 points are coming from,i for one cant wait
Login to get fewer ads

Predicted League table for next season on 13:05 - May 31 with 4126 viewsSonicBoom

I'd be surprised if we weren't top 10 at least. I get that the championship is a tough league but we won't be playing City, United, Liverpool etc week in week out.
Also it's a league where you can be 12th at Christmas and still get automatic promotion so there are going to be highs and lows.
I would think our aim has to be a minimum of top 6 by the end of the season.
Predicted League table for next season on 13:25 - May 31 with 4114 viewsPatfromPoole

Predicted League table for next season on 13:05 - May 31 by SonicBoom

I'd be surprised if we weren't top 10 at least. I get that the championship is a tough league but we won't be playing City, United, Liverpool etc week in week out.
Also it's a league where you can be 12th at Christmas and still get automatic promotion so there are going to be highs and lows.
I would think our aim has to be a minimum of top 6 by the end of the season.

Totally agree that we should be aiming to get top 6.

I just think it’s a tall order to get the 20 wins you need from 46 games to get in the top 6 when the whole spine of the team needs an overhaul, and we are about to make another “wacky” appointment of a manager with no track record of success.

Predicted League table for next season on 13:25 - May 31 with 4114 viewsfelly1

I'm predicting a poor start but we'll push up to a midtable finish.. Please can we just start winning some home games ffs!!
Predicted League table for next season on 13:45 - May 31 with 4084 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Is your club loaded up with bags of debt?

What is stopping you sinking into L1? Got any decent young players from your academy? as that was always your go-to formula

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Predicted League table for next season on 13:50 - May 31 with 4091 viewsPatfromPoole

Predicted League table for next season on 13:45 - May 31 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Is your club loaded up with bags of debt?

What is stopping you sinking into L1? Got any decent young players from your academy? as that was always your go-to formula

We have serviceable debt.

I don’t think our mince pie supplier needs to worry about being paid this Yuletide. Or charities not receiving monies due.

Predicted League table for next season on 13:56 - May 31 with 4072 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Predicted League table for next season on 13:50 - May 31 by PatfromPoole

We have serviceable debt.

I don’t think our mince pie supplier needs to worry about being paid this Yuletide. Or charities not receiving monies due.

Should be a fir few years sitting around the middle of the table then, waiting for your academy to get you promotion.

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Predicted League table for next season on 14:27 - May 31 with 4057 viewsSaintNick

Predicted League table for next season on 08:03 - May 31 by PatfromPoole

Before people start to mock…..

If it wasn’t for Reading’s 6-point deduction, Cardiff would have been relegated last season; they won 13 games last season. We won 6.

Anybody thinking we are suddenly going to go from winning 6 games in a season up to 20 (which is what you need to get in the play-offs) is wildly optimistic, when the whole nucleus of our team needs an overhaul, right through the spine of the team.

This is a bit of a premature prediction, until we know who has stayed or gone and more importantly who has come in it is hard to make any sort of judgement.

Why would anyone not think it is implausible that we could go from winning 6 games this season to winning 20, Burnley won only 7 last season in being relegated in bottom place and in this one they have won 24.

Likewise Fulham they went down in 2020/21 bottom winning just 5 games and finishing bottom and won 27 in winning the Championship the following season, Norwich bottom in 2019/20 winning 5 and top winning 29 the following season.

So the evidence shows that in each of the last three season, the team that has finished bottom of the Premier League has stormed to the title the following season in the Championship

In the summer of 2022 Burnley raked in just £58 million in transfer fees and spent just £17 million.

We will raise at least £150 million from transfer fees and potentially even as much as £200 million.

We have a bigger squad, arguably some of those players who will stay have proved themselves in the Championship if not the Premier League.

On paper i would suggest it would have been more wildly optimistic to suggest Burnley would have done what they did, than to back us to do so.

Yes the spine of the team needs an overhaul, but hopefully it will get it, it is less of a task than Burnley faced last summer.

Add to that when Burnley were taken over in December 2020, their new owners leveraged their takeover by taking the club from debt free to having £100 million against it.

So even in terms of ownership they didnt look in a good position.

As for the manager they appointed Kompany, whose only had two years experience as manager of Anderlecht, two seasons of 3rd and then 4th in the Belgian league in what is usually a two horse race between Club Brugge and Anderlecht was not success.

I'm not mocking, but you have only painted one picture, you havent given a balanced view, thats football for you though you never know what happens next, but what is clear is that the gap between the Premier League and the Championship is widening

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Predicted League table for next season on 14:48 - May 31 with 4043 viewsPatfromPoole

Predicted League table for next season on 14:27 - May 31 by SaintNick

This is a bit of a premature prediction, until we know who has stayed or gone and more importantly who has come in it is hard to make any sort of judgement.

Why would anyone not think it is implausible that we could go from winning 6 games this season to winning 20, Burnley won only 7 last season in being relegated in bottom place and in this one they have won 24.

Likewise Fulham they went down in 2020/21 bottom winning just 5 games and finishing bottom and won 27 in winning the Championship the following season, Norwich bottom in 2019/20 winning 5 and top winning 29 the following season.

So the evidence shows that in each of the last three season, the team that has finished bottom of the Premier League has stormed to the title the following season in the Championship

In the summer of 2022 Burnley raked in just £58 million in transfer fees and spent just £17 million.

We will raise at least £150 million from transfer fees and potentially even as much as £200 million.

We have a bigger squad, arguably some of those players who will stay have proved themselves in the Championship if not the Premier League.

On paper i would suggest it would have been more wildly optimistic to suggest Burnley would have done what they did, than to back us to do so.

Yes the spine of the team needs an overhaul, but hopefully it will get it, it is less of a task than Burnley faced last summer.

Add to that when Burnley were taken over in December 2020, their new owners leveraged their takeover by taking the club from debt free to having £100 million against it.

So even in terms of ownership they didnt look in a good position.

As for the manager they appointed Kompany, whose only had two years experience as manager of Anderlecht, two seasons of 3rd and then 4th in the Belgian league in what is usually a two horse race between Club Brugge and Anderlecht was not success.

I'm not mocking, but you have only painted one picture, you havent given a balanced view, thats football for you though you never know what happens next, but what is clear is that the gap between the Premier League and the Championship is widening

Do you really think we will get £150 million from selling players, Nick?

I’d say nearer £100 million; if that.

Predicted League table for next season on 15:15 - May 31 with 4026 viewsSaintNick

Predicted League table for next season on 14:48 - May 31 by PatfromPoole

Do you really think we will get £150 million from selling players, Nick?

I’d say nearer £100 million; if that.

My rough guide to transfers using a conservative estimate is

JWP £40 million
Lavia £40 million
Walker Peters £20 million
Salisu £20 million
Bella Kotchap £20 million
Bednarek £10 million
Adams £15 million
Orsic £5 million

That's £170 million on those 8 and there could be more from Tella, Onaucho name just 2

Predicted League table for next season on 15:29 - May 31 with 4007 viewsIfonly

Predicted League table for next season on 15:15 - May 31 by SaintNick

JWP £40 million
Lavia £40 million
Salisu £20 million
Bednarek £10 million
Adams £15 million
Orsic £5 million

That's £170 million on those 8 and there could be more from Tella, Onaucho name just 2

Those look like reasonable estimates but how much of the fee do we actually receive? Agents probably take 10%.
Predicted League table for next season on 16:05 - May 31 with 3975 viewsHollywood56

Sorry, but I think your about 6 or 7 positions too low, 10th or 11th for me, UNLESS we get a decent/experienced manager like Graeme Potter.
Predicted League table for next season on 16:14 - May 31 with 3972 viewsPatfromPoole

JWP £40 million
Lavia £40 million
Salisu £20 million
Bednarek £10 million
Adams £15 million
Orsic £5 million

As ever, the problem will be how quickly we can shift players out to generate the cash and free up squad places to fund replacements. And then quickly get the replacements in.

I wouldn’t mind betting that half of those players listed will go out on loan as nobody will pay the fees to buy the players outright.

I also expect a significant proportion of our signings (quite possibly on loan) to be Man. City youngsters, given Wilcox’s influence.

Predicted League table for next season on 16:28 - May 31 with 3962 viewsSaintNick

Predicted League table for next season on 16:14 - May 31 by PatfromPoole

As ever, the problem will be how quickly we can shift players out to generate the cash and free up squad places to fund replacements. And then quickly get the replacements in.

I wouldn’t mind betting that half of those players listed will go out on loan as nobody will pay the fees to buy the players outright.

I also expect a significant proportion of our signings (quite possibly on loan) to be Man. City youngsters, given Wilcox’s influence.

Given that we would perhaps only need to spend about £30-40 million which would be a big outlay in the Championship, I think we can hang on a bit.

I would expect JWP, Lavia, Salisu, KWP, Bella Kotchap to all be signed on a permanent basis, so that is £140 million that we will get, Adams is said to be wanted by Forest so that just leaves Bednarek & Orsic who might potentially only be loan deals, Tella will either stay or be bought outright and Onaucho could go either way.

Predicted League table for next season on 16:46 - May 31 with 3945 viewsgrumpy

JWP £40 million
Lavia £40 million
Salisu £20 million
Bednarek £10 million
Adams £15 million
Orsic £5 million

Why with so many players valued as such did we manage to get relegated?
Predicted League table for next season on 16:48 - May 31 with 3928 viewsSFC_Referee

Tbf I’ve got absolutely no idea whatsoever of whereabouts we’ll be finishing next season, as I don’t think anyone’s gonna truly know until a few questions start to get answered like who’s staying, who’s going, who’s gonna be joining us, are the owners gonna keep investing, who is gonna be our new gaffer (as the fact that everyone was saying Martins was gonna be announced yesterday but still nothing a day afterwards does make me wonder) etc… is just too much to give a guess as to where we’re gonna finish next season. So for my guesstimate, I won’t bother including us as I’ve honestly got no idea as to what to expect…

1. Norwich
2. Leicester
3. Middlesbrough
4. Watford (wins playoffs)
5. Leeds
6. West Brom
7. Sunderland
8. Birmingham
9. Blackburn
10. Millwall
11. Bristol
12. Coventry
13. Huddersfield
14. Plymouth
15. Sheffield Wednesday
16. Swansea
17. QPR
18. Ipswich
19. Hull
20. Stoke
21. Cardiff
22. Preston
23. Rotherham

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

Predicted League table for next season on 16:55 - May 31 with 3931 views1885_SFC

Predicted League table for next season on 08:43 - May 31 by cocklebreath

We won’t be as bad as 17th, I’ll go 5th. Think we’ll buy some good championship players and score lots of goals, might concede too many but it’ll be fun. Just checked only 3 teams in the league who don’t have recent history in top league, Plymouth, Rotherham and Preston. Really looking forward to this season.

Agreed, we should be aiming for the play-offs absolute bare minimum. Anything less than that, even with a new manager & new players, would be a disaster.

We will sell a few players this Summer and recoup what, £100M - maybe more? That should be enough to buy some decent players to plug the gaps.

Old School is Cool

Predicted League table for next season on 17:49 - May 31 with 3891 viewsSFC_Referee

Predicted League table for next season on 16:55 - May 31 by 1885_SFC

Agreed, we should be aiming for the play-offs absolute bare minimum. Anything less than that, even with a new manager & new players, would be a disaster.

We will sell a few players this Summer and recoup what, £100M - maybe more? That should be enough to buy some decent players to plug the gaps.

Don’t forget all the parachute payments were owed after the 11 years straight we’ve been up in the prem for now

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024