Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oxford City (A) Match Thread 14:19 - Aug 11 with 24345 viewsHullDale

Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 22:36 - Aug 12 with 4040 viewsRotherhamDale

Watched from home today.

Thought the first 10 mins were chaotic with Oxford having a good go at hitting us on the counter. We then took control without troubling the keeper for the rest of the half.

2nd half was better and we should have had 2 or 3 at least. The new winger from Chesterfield looked brill when he came on. Like a non league Mendez-Laing from our league 1 days.

I'm struggling to see what Afoye offers yet. McDermott looked nervous to begin with but soon got his passing going. Overall, a comfortable win against a side that will struggle this season.

If we control games like that this season then we'll win more than we lose.

Possession with progression.

Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 23:21 - Aug 12 with 3870 viewsYorkshire_Dale

....and we are now out of the relegation zone, how long ago is it since we could say that?
Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 23:29 - Aug 12 with 3847 viewsSandyman

Apart from the disallowed goal and the block from Hendo, the first half was appalling to watch for fans of both clubs. Clueless sideways backwards nonsense from us that got us nowhere. Boring, and seriously made you wonder why you bother. Utter rubbish.

Second half, we started a bit livelier but still no end product. Big Jim's subs made all the difference, we looked a hell of a lot more positive when they came on. Jez looks like a real force to be reckoned with. Credit to Big Jim for turning things round, although his team's dire first half should not be forgotten. Lessons to be learned, again.

MOTM? Jimmy K - always giving them problems and us opportunities.
Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 23:46 - Aug 12 with 3809 viewsscarrow

Very difficult playing against a team who played so defensively. 9 players behind the ball all the time. First half though was too slow and ponderous. Better in the second half and the new lad from Chesterfield could become a key player. Would be surprised if he doesn't start on Tuesday night.

Will be interesting to see how we cope with a team on Tuesday who are likely to have more attacking intent.

Poll: Final position

Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 08:16 - Aug 13 with 3461 viewsD_Alien

Anyone know yesterday's attendance, with number of Dale there? I know it's "non-league" but not sure why these things should be shrouded in mystery

Latics got 7593 yesterday. Can't they count in Oxford?
[Post edited 13 Aug 2023 8:21]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 08:24 - Aug 13 with 3439 viewsdholdh

Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 08:16 - Aug 13 by D_Alien

Anyone know yesterday's attendance, with number of Dale there? I know it's "non-league" but not sure why these things should be shrouded in mystery

784 there in total according to their match report: https://www.oxfordcityfc.co.uk/match-report-oxford-city-0-1-rochdale
Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 08:25 - Aug 13 with 3435 viewsleedsdale

The match report on their site says the attendance was 784, but there wasn’t a mention of the away attendance when I read it.
Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 08:28 - Aug 13 with 3420 viewsD_Alien

Thanks both

Nowt to shout from the rooftops, i guess

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 08:49 - Aug 13 with 3353 viewsTVOS1907

To be fair, there were a lot of EFL attendances that didnt appear until a few days after games last season. It will be to do with the central source supplying data before they've received everything.

I'll try to get the away following from them. I'd guess 300-350.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 11:18 - Aug 13 with 2984 viewsKnavesmireBob

Watched from home yesterday and really enjoyed it.

Great to see SAJ back to form. Clayton reminds me of our Keira and will be a pleasure to watch him control games this season. Excited by what McDermott could be.

Jim's interview superb too. He seems to be visibly growing in confidence every week, like he's realising he's got the potential to become very good at this job and is also enjoying feeling a bit of love from us and appreciation for what he's trying to build. His modern day leadership style might not be to everyone's taste on here, but the high empathy and considered, thoughtful communication is right up my street. Early days but I'm really looking forward to seeing him develop as our manager.

And having worked for New Balance most of my working life I'm loving seeing the NB logo on his chest too. He wears it well!
Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 11:41 - Aug 13 with 2898 viewsmikehunt

Not to be overly disparaging to Oxford City but this was my benchmark as to how we might fare in this division. Had we lost to them I feared the worst. So, well done, Jim and the lads. We should be ok. Get the board room drama sorted and things could be more than ok.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 11:51 - Aug 13 with 2867 viewsjonahwhereru

If this fixture were the FA cup 1st round draw last season, with the teams two divisions apart and an artificial surface, a 1-0 win would be considered job done. We are in the same league, we have a lesser squad and they have strengthened, so it has to be a tidy effort by the team. First win, first clean sheet and an artificial pitch game boxed off can only breed confidence.
It has been an odd start having consecutive fixtures against promoted teams. Tuesday will tell us more. From BJ’s comments we could still be without Rodgers and Taylor and will get just one training session in before Tuesday. I will cut them some slack on the night
UTD
Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 12:24 - Aug 13 with 2744 viewsEllDale

Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 19:06 - Aug 12 by 100notout

Well Humpheys played again for Wigan today, triggering another add-on payment, so yes a bit more in the kitty

It’s all well and good being owed the money but how quick are Wigan at paying their bills?
You can bet that the EFL won’t help if they default on the payment.
Or am I being overly pessimistic?
Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 12:30 - Aug 13 with 2717 viewsforeverhopefulDale

You are being realistic. Often they don't pay their staff, wouldn't expect prompt payment, unless there are mechanisms in place for prompt payment in such circumstances.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 12:53 - Aug 13 with 2642 viewsEllDale

There are between EFL clubs but the league won’t want to know us now.
Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 13:58 - Aug 13 with 2482 views49thseason

Oxfrd city Highlights
Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 14:14 - Aug 13 with 2457 viewsNorthernDale

Having read some of the posts, I would agree the first half was worst then dross, it was that bad, we looked a very poor team, our creativity was non-existent. it was all ability passing sideways at walking pace.

The second half we played with more urgency, but we over pass the ball, on the Dale's twitter account said we made 14 passes, before Hendo scored and that's sums the Dale, we over pass the ball. Towards the middle of the second half, Sinclair started to beat the fullback and get the ball into the box first time (most of the game he was poor up to then), which created problems for Oxford and when combined with the new lad from Chesterfield, who looked good, it opened up their defence. It was a pity that Hendo missed the sitter in the second half, but McNulty must play a quicker game, because his pedestrian style allows the opposition to get organised and his boring to watch. Looking at Oxford they were awful, and they have Chesterfield on Tuesday, but at times we made them decent, due to the total options approach.
Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 14:18 - Aug 13 with 2418 viewskel

Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 14:14 - Aug 13 by NorthernDale

Having read some of the posts, I would agree the first half was worst then dross, it was that bad, we looked a very poor team, our creativity was non-existent. it was all ability passing sideways at walking pace.

The second half we played with more urgency, but we over pass the ball, on the Dale's twitter account said we made 14 passes, before Hendo scored and that's sums the Dale, we over pass the ball. Towards the middle of the second half, Sinclair started to beat the fullback and get the ball into the box first time (most of the game he was poor up to then), which created problems for Oxford and when combined with the new lad from Chesterfield, who looked good, it opened up their defence. It was a pity that Hendo missed the sitter in the second half, but McNulty must play a quicker game, because his pedestrian style allows the opposition to get organised and his boring to watch. Looking at Oxford they were awful, and they have Chesterfield on Tuesday, but at times we made them decent, due to the total options approach.

Sounds like you’d rather we hadn’t have scored after that passing passage of play. I never, ever thought I’d see someone complain about a goal we’ve scored on here but nothing should surprise me anymore.

Personally, i’ll take that every week if it means three points.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2023 14:20]
Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 14:31 - Aug 13 with 2365 viewsNorthernDale

I was overjoyed when we scored, like every other Dale fan there, but I was trying to highlight the fact we over pass the ball, rather then be more incisive. I belief Keith Hill said last week, that we did not play with any pace and get behind the Ebbsfleet defence.

I must admit Moulden, who looks a decent keeper, caused the heart rate to rise, when he made a rare mistake to create an open goal opportunity for Oxford, thankful a defender cleared the ball, before they could react.
Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 14:43 - Aug 13 with 2317 viewsDaleiLama

Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 14:18 - Aug 13 by kel

Sounds like you’d rather we hadn’t have scored after that passing passage of play. I never, ever thought I’d see someone complain about a goal we’ve scored on here but nothing should surprise me anymore.

Personally, i’ll take that every week if it means three points.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2023 14:20]

I blame the board.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 14:50 - Aug 13 with 2288 viewsRotherhamDale

I think we'll see a different game on Tuesday at Woking. Last season they were direct and more of a percentage team. It might even suit us more than Ebbsfleet and Oxford who soaked up pressure and tried to break at pace.

I dont understand the negativity about yesterday to be honest. We controlled the game and won with ease.

Possession with progression.

Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 15:42 - Aug 13 with 2124 viewsBarrowdale

Then you are missing his point. This won’t work against a decent side. We are incredibly predictable and slow. If we get in front, we will be hard to beat but can you see us putting 5 past anyone? We are a one trick pony trying to pass the ball into the net. The style will have to change to beat better teams. Let’s hope it does because at times it looks to be in slow motion.
Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 16:07 - Aug 13 with 2012 views442Dale

Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 15:42 - Aug 13 by Barrowdale

Then you are missing his point. This won’t work against a decent side. We are incredibly predictable and slow. If we get in front, we will be hard to beat but can you see us putting 5 past anyone? We are a one trick pony trying to pass the ball into the net. The style will have to change to beat better teams. Let’s hope it does because at times it looks to be in slow motion.

I didn’t see any of yesterday apart from the highlights, but we really aren’t that one dimensional. Not saying we’re capable of switching between keeping the ball and going direct either, it’s that we’re a new team who sort of know what they want to do and are still finding their way.

There are times we liked too slow to go into Rodney and Mitchell last week, especially when it was obvious the Ebbsfleet defence struggled with that, so it about finding a way to recognise when we switch from keeping the ball to becoming more direct.

Uchegbulum’s introduction looks to have made a difference by all accounts and if we’ve someone who can quickly carry the ball up the pitch or be played in down the flanks, it will help with shifting how we play during games.

McNulty’s philosophy has adapted, he’s said about “total options” in pre-season. It’ll take a bit of time to get that working as well as he probably wants.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 17:54 - Aug 13 with 1791 viewsYadHoDale

I thought that was a decent afternoon's entertainment.

Dale were the better side throughout, and improved as the game went on. Moulden, EEL and Nevett snuffed out most things between them, John was steady at left back, Jimmy K excellent at right back and pushing into midfield at the appropriate time, and just as good when switched to the left (a sensible decision as Oxford's Right Back was the weakest of their defenders, so having a more attacking player on that side was a good idea.)

Clayton was excellent in midfield, keeping the ball moving and well supported by Harvey Gilmour. The young lad McDermott on loan from Vale looked useful when he came on, and possibly more of an attacking threat than the other two.

Sinclair and Afuye did reasonably well, without dominating their full backs. As others have said, Jez The Unpronounceable looked an absolute monster when he came on, and is big enough to play at through the middle if required. Hendo looked his usual classy self and Kairo Mitchell did a reasonable impersonation of Calvin Andrew, hardworking but not looking like scoring.

As for Oxford, Josh Parker up front (ex Gillingham and others) is a decent enough forward, but was left isolated too often. To their credit, they weren't cloggers or hoofers, tried to play properly throughout and kept going for the full game. They also provided better food (I do like a burger) and far more competent stewarding (in the ground) than at the COA. Hope they stay up...
Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 18:47 - Aug 13 with 1657 viewsEllGazzell

Oxford City (A) Match Thread on 15:42 - Aug 13 by Barrowdale

"Put 5 past anyone"

Why do we need to score 5 when we can dominate possession and win 1 - 0
[Post edited 13 Aug 2023 18:48]

Poll: If possible tomorrow, which model do you choose for Dale?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024