Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Solent Fans’ Forum tonight 07:32 - Aug 15 with 3625 viewsPatfromPoole

Hoping to hear about new signings and an update on Block 1 potentially re-opening, but fully expecting involved debates about ladies’ football and VAR.

Any Uglies going?

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Solent Fans’ Forum tonight on 07:13 - Aug 16 with 860 viewsSalisburySaint

Solent Fans’ Forum tonight on 01:06 - Aug 16 by dirk_doone

Reading betweeen the lines, the plan is to be a mid-table Championship team until all of the youngsters bought from Man City and Chelsea's academies mature into first team players, get us promoted and then all get sold for a massive profit. I can see how the owners think that might work but I can also see that it could be a disaster. The sale of Lavia for a big profit while new players are brought in on free transfers or loans has obviously added fuel to the owners' dream but done nothing for building a Championship winning team..

Cant we just until the transfer window closes before saying owner will not spend any of the money coming in on new players ?
Solent Fans’ Forum tonight on 07:27 - Aug 16 with 842 viewsPatfromPoole

Solent Fans’ Forum tonight on 07:13 - Aug 16 by SalisburySaint

Cant we just until the transfer window closes before saying owner will not spend any of the money coming in on new players ?

We can.

However, a number of comments made by Martin and Wilcox last night have me thinking that Dirk may not be far at all from the reality of the situation.

There seems to me to be little appetite within the hierarchy for a quick return to the Prem, and anybody expecting Martin to be moved on if we finish mid-table this season is in for disappointment.

If we produce one or two good young players each season and sell them on, that funds the continuation of the experiment.

Martin more or less alluded to that last night by talking of the value of Lavia and Livramento to the club.

Wilcox talks a good game, but I am far from convinced is the right man for the right club.

As with Martin.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2023 10:46]

Solent Fans’ Forum tonight on 07:33 - Aug 16 with 824 viewsPatfromPoole

Another telling comment last night by Martin:

“I had a younger team at Swansea”.

I suspect he prefers working with younger players, as they will be less cynical about his methods being successful.

We shall see.

I just don’t think you get out of this League relying on youth though.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2023 10:45]

Solent Fans’ Forum tonight on 08:29 - Aug 16 with 779 viewscocklebreath

Let’s hope this is your Hansen moment.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Solent Fans’ Forum tonight on 10:15 - Aug 16 with 731 viewsBerber

Solent Fans’ Forum tonight on 21:27 - Aug 15 by grumpy

What got me was Martin saying there's no problem with goalkeepers(cue clapping from audience),we have conceded 5 in 2 games,4 at home and 3 against Gillingham from L2.
He seems happy that his forwards have scored a few as well, Armstrong has claimed one and scored 2 penalties and Adams 2 and may be sold.
Good spine of team!!! Are you joking?
I'm prepared to give him time but I am at this stage I'm not confident he knows what hes doing.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2023 21:33]

I am with you on this.
Solent Fans’ Forum tonight on 10:22 - Aug 16 with 728 viewssaints__fan__73

Solent Fans’ Forum tonight on 07:33 - Aug 16 by PatfromPoole

Another telling comment last night by Martin:

“I had a younger team at Swansea”.

I suspect he prefers working with younger players, as they will be less cynical about his methods being successful.

We shall see.

I just don’t think you get out of this League relying on youth though.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2023 10:45]

Just like we didn't survive in the league above by relying on youth.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Solent Fans’ Forum tonight on 15:32 - Aug 16 with 593 viewsSaintNick

Solent Fans’ Forum tonight on 10:22 - Aug 16 by saints__fan__73

Just like we didn't survive in the league above by relying on youth.

But it wasnt the youth that let us down. take the team that played in the majority of the final 14 games of the season when we got just 4 points.

Bazunu aged 20 8 games & 3 points / McCarthy aged33 6 games and 1 point

Right back Walker Peters aged 26

Bednarek aged 27

Salisu aged 24

Perraud aged 25

Back four average age 25

JWP aged 28

Lavia aged 19

Elyounoussi aged 28

Stuart Armstrong aged 30

Midfield average age 26

Che Adams age 26

Adam Armstrong age 25

attack Average age 25

This is based on the most games played in the position, so if we take an average for our usual side the average age is 25 -26.

The youngsters are usually balanced out by older players, when it comes to performance , im sure you get my drift..

The perception is youth cost us, the reality is that we were let down by plenty of older experienced players who led the way, Orsic, Caleta Car, Walcott, Onauchu, Aribo, Djenepo, Maitland Niles all failed from just being poor to being Awful.

Yet Alcaraz, Bella Kotchap & Sulemana all did well to varying levels.

The fact is the squad in the second half of the season had as much experience as youth

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Solent Fans’ Forum tonight on 18:16 - Aug 16 with 542 viewsgrumpy

Solent Fans’ Forum tonight on 15:32 - Aug 16 by SaintNick

But it wasnt the youth that let us down. take the team that played in the majority of the final 14 games of the season when we got just 4 points.

Bazunu aged 20 8 games & 3 points / McCarthy aged33 6 games and 1 point

Right back Walker Peters aged 26

Bednarek aged 27

Salisu aged 24

Perraud aged 25

Back four average age 25

JWP aged 28

Lavia aged 19

Elyounoussi aged 28

Stuart Armstrong aged 30

Midfield average age 26

Che Adams age 26

Adam Armstrong age 25

attack Average age 25

This is based on the most games played in the position, so if we take an average for our usual side the average age is 25 -26.

The youngsters are usually balanced out by older players, when it comes to performance , im sure you get my drift..

The perception is youth cost us, the reality is that we were let down by plenty of older experienced players who led the way, Orsic, Caleta Car, Walcott, Onauchu, Aribo, Djenepo, Maitland Niles all failed from just being poor to being Awful.

Yet Alcaraz, Bella Kotchap & Sulemana all did well to varying levels.

The fact is the squad in the second half of the season had as much experience as youth

Orsic played the last few minutes of one game. Truth is we were managed by two awful managers who didn’t have a clue.
Login to get fewer ads

Solent Fans’ Forum tonight on 18:39 - Aug 16 with 530 viewssaint22

Solent Fans’ Forum tonight on 10:15 - Aug 16 by Berber

I am with you on this.

He is another example of SR not knowing what we need as a manager and their third error in a row
He is a yes man and grateful for an opportunity he won’t get at another club of similar size
We are destined for championship football for a while yet and as some here have said that seems to be the goal
Solent Fans’ Forum tonight on 00:21 - Aug 17 with 448 viewsChesham_Saint

Solent Fans’ Forum tonight on 20:57 - Aug 15 by Southamptonfan

A free beer for all those who have travelled, because they have travelled so far, but nothing for the long suffering loyal home support. That would go down well im sure. I think he was talking about the women's games to be honest, which would make sense as they are apparently all very well natured, happy, clappy, lovely games. In all seriousness, if we started making announcements, welcoming the away fans, I would never set foot in St Mary's again. What a stupid question.

There was so much time spent speaking to the women's manager, here there was only one hour. 99% of us arn't interested let's be honest. Surely they should have a separate one. Sorry very controversial 😲

Jason Wilcox comes across well. Not sure about Martin's resounding defence of Bazunu.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2023 21:05]

I agree with you. Welcoming away fans all happy clappy. Fvck that. What next? Hug a skate?
I don’t want to see away fans attacked, but not giving them a hard time? WALOB.

As for the ladies team, good luck to them but I don’t really give a toss about anything other than our first 11 and my focus is on anything that improves them, nothing else. Same goes for the women’s England team, very well done and all, that but I don’t really care. Fact is, for me, it’s an inferior product and I’m about as engaged with them as I would be our hockey team (male or female).

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024