Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our manager 13:11 - Sep 4 with 3126 viewssaint22

Has he actually apologised for the debacle on Saturday and taken responsibility for it with that abominable selection and tactics
Our manager on 16:17 - Sep 4 with 2109 viewsSaintNick

I would say firstly the only real issue most would have had was that Sekoe Mara had been selected and Shea Adams on the bench, otherwise i don;t think many would have argued with the other 10 players on the pitch.

Secondly it wasn't the tactis that were the issue it was the players inability to do basic things like keep people back when we have corners and actually mark people in the box.

None of which are the managers fault, as i said elsewhere I doubt his last instructions were "Dont bother leave anyone back when we have corners " & "Dont bother marking people in the box" if he did say those things then the players followed his instructions to the rule

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Our manager on 16:25 - Sep 4 with 2104 viewsPatfromPoole

Our manager on 16:17 - Sep 4 by SaintNick

I would say firstly the only real issue most would have had was that Sekoe Mara had been selected and Shea Adams on the bench, otherwise i don;t think many would have argued with the other 10 players on the pitch.

Secondly it wasn't the tactis that were the issue it was the players inability to do basic things like keep people back when we have corners and actually mark people in the box.

None of which are the managers fault, as i said elsewhere I doubt his last instructions were "Dont bother leave anyone back when we have corners " & "Dont bother marking people in the box" if he did say those things then the players followed his instructions to the rule

Shea Charles or Che Adams???

Shea Charles, I guess (?)…..

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Our manager on 16:47 - Sep 4 with 2086 views1ASIN12

Is keeping players back at corners or telling them to go up for corners not part of the tactics ?

If you didn’t want your players to go up for corners why didn’t the coaching team , after all there are plenty of them , tell the players they didn’t want going forward to hang back ?
Our manager on 16:49 - Sep 4 with 2080 viewsHeisenberg

‘It wasn’t the tactics that were the issue’

Worst goals against in the entire league which replicates RMs record at Swansea points to more than players not doing there jobs. We were all over the place. The buck stops with the manager. At the current rate we will concede over a 100 goals by the end of the season. Something is wrong with RMs tactics and he needs to take responsibility.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Our manager on 17:08 - Sep 4 with 2041 viewsSouthamptonfan

I tend to agree with you Nick. Anyone who saw Adam Armstrongs run from one end of the pitch to the other, in the QPR game, that resulted in massive cheers around St Mary's, will tell you - that's what's needed. Many of those players are not putting the effort in. It's happened under various managers.

The manager, as you say, doesn't say "Don't run, don't tackle, don't mark up, just stand there lads and don't put any effort in", because that's what they did and that's what they did all last season. So these players need to take responsibility and try harder. The manager has his roll to play, but it doesn't matter what tactics you employ, if the players don't put a shift in. Armstrong showed against QPR, what's needed. All the players should be running like crazy. But they don't.

They need to work harder and perform for their fans regardless. They get paid thousands a week, dam well earn your.money and stop standing there as the opposition breeze past with ease. The manager in his interviews says he wants them to run and tackle and be aggressive. If they refuse to do it on the pitch, then they need to stop refusing and follow their manager's instructions. RM has made it clear he expects them to run, ta kle and be aggressive. They didn't do it on Saturday, so they must be refusing - all on 50 grand a week. And this has happened for years under different managers. They have the same.problem at Everton.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 17:17]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Our manager on 17:18 - Sep 4 with 2013 viewssaint901

It was absolutely the tactics, compounded by some individual errors.

The first goal - how can a ball be played to the back post four yards out and not be collected by the keeper? How can the right back and centre back allow the ball to go that far?

Then the keeper gets beaten from long(ish) range at his near post?

Then we have defenders either chasing a ball they lost and a pass later being out of the game or failing to make a 10/15 yard pass to a team mate.

Possession football is great when you have the ball and are making pretty pictures. Set pieces don't really work with that tactic because you need a different type of player, one who can attack the ball/space and try to make something happen.

None of the forwards we had at the start of the game can do that. Either they're not willing to go where it might hurt or they're too small and get blocked out or their game is based on open play.

Worse, if you set up for possession, have a set piece and lose the ball (inevitable) then you need to cover for a fast break - and we failed dismally in that.

And I'm sorry but Mara should be loaned out to the lower leagues. When he's on the pitch it's the same as playing with 10 men or worse because he just gives the ball away all the time. Whatever he does in training to impress the manager, disappears in a competitive match and I'm baffled as to why he was preferred to Che.

I'm hoping this was a one off and that lessons will be learned but I fear that the other Champ managers are looking at that and working out how to beat us.
Our manager on 17:38 - Sep 4 with 1989 viewsIfonly

As I've said elsewhere, with respect that's totally wrong. If we don't keep anyone back when we have a corner - in the first minute of the game, not the last - that is absolutely the manager's fault.

In a professional club, set pieces are drilled on the training ground. Who goes up and who stays back is decided by the coaches. You seem to think it's up to the players who decide on the day. It only works that way in pub teams, not professional ones. Late in the game a pro team may adapt to the situation, but in the first minute what they do at a set piece is purely based on work at the training ground.

We were a shambles on Saturday and RM has to take primary responsibility. To be fair to him, we haven't been able to defend at set pieces or when teams break on us for a few years now. But he hasn't made any progress on those issues so far and needs to get going soon.
Our manager on 17:55 - Sep 4 with 1967 viewsSouthamptonfan

Our manager on 17:38 - Sep 4 by Ifonly

As I've said elsewhere, with respect that's totally wrong. If we don't keep anyone back when we have a corner - in the first minute of the game, not the last - that is absolutely the manager's fault.

In a professional club, set pieces are drilled on the training ground. Who goes up and who stays back is decided by the coaches. You seem to think it's up to the players who decide on the day. It only works that way in pub teams, not professional ones. Late in the game a pro team may adapt to the situation, but in the first minute what they do at a set piece is purely based on work at the training ground.

We were a shambles on Saturday and RM has to take primary responsibility. To be fair to him, we haven't been able to defend at set pieces or when teams break on us for a few years now. But he hasn't made any progress on those issues so far and needs to get going soon.

There needs to be some leadership on the pitch too, as we have said for years. Whatever the manager says, in the heat if the battle, one or two senior players need to be taking responsibility on the pitch and simply saying " Get back, mark up" whatever is needed. Instead they just stand there shrugging their shoulders looking surprised.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 18:06]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Login to get fewer ads

Our manager on 19:25 - Sep 4 with 1908 viewssaint22

Adams
Charles
Alcaraz
All should have started
Our manager on 21:39 - Sep 4 with 1829 viewssaintwizzler

A decent goalkeeper will organise his defence.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Our manager on 21:50 - Sep 4 with 1824 viewsSaintNick

Our manager on 21:39 - Sep 4 by saintwizzler

A decent goalkeeper will organise his defence.

You can either have a goalkeeper that organises the defence or a central defender, we have neither, when Shilton arrived in his first 7 League games he conceded 4 at home to newly promoted Watford, 6 away at Spurs and another 5 at Liverpool, in a grand total of 18 goals in the opening 7 League games.

At the time he was regarded the best goalkeeper in the World, if you dont have a good defence then it doesn't matter who you have in goal

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Our manager on 22:27 - Sep 4 with 1782 viewsA1079

Reading all these comments and other posts there is one definable fact that be it last season, the season before or this current one, we are a team, a club with persistent issues and failings which have not thus far been fixable whatever the manager or coach in charge. Which comes down to 2 things: we either keep appointing managers/coaches not up to the job or we persistently employ a group of players that appear to be incompetent at doing the basics or just won't.
Our manager on 23:49 - Sep 4 with 1729 viewsSFC_Referee

Our manager on 19:25 - Sep 4 by saint22

Adams
Charles
Alcaraz
All should have started

Tbf we were never gonna be able to start all of them and satisfy everyone. As I also thought that Stu, Downes, Smallbone and A.Armstrong. As up front I think it was only really Mara who everyone agreed shouldn’t of played, and in midfield any could’ve arguably started.
So like Nick said, it’s only really Mara which RM can be blamed for

Poll: Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs

Our manager on 06:58 - Sep 5 with 1671 viewssaintwizzler

Our manager on 21:50 - Sep 4 by SaintNick

You can either have a goalkeeper that organises the defence or a central defender, we have neither, when Shilton arrived in his first 7 League games he conceded 4 at home to newly promoted Watford, 6 away at Spurs and another 5 at Liverpool, in a grand total of 18 goals in the opening 7 League games.

At the time he was regarded the best goalkeeper in the World, if you dont have a good defence then it doesn't matter who you have in goal

It matters when the goalkeeper lets shots go through him and when making diving saves doesn’t palm the ball away from the danger area.

Both Bazunu and McCarthy time and time again make errors that lead to goals.

That could have been 10-0 last Saturday with the antics Bazunu was up to.
Basic goalkeeping.

The goalkeeper has the best view of all the players and should be screaming at his defenders.

First goal on Saturday “Edozie left shoulder you cûnt, your man b’Jesus so it is!”

But still let’s keep playing him. He came from Man City so he must be good.

Our manager on 07:18 - Sep 5 with 1647 viewsHeisenberg

Our manager on 06:58 - Sep 5 by saintwizzler

It matters when the goalkeeper lets shots go through him and when making diving saves doesn’t palm the ball away from the danger area.

Both Bazunu and McCarthy time and time again make errors that lead to goals.

That could have been 10-0 last Saturday with the antics Bazunu was up to.
Basic goalkeeping.

The goalkeeper has the best view of all the players and should be screaming at his defenders.

First goal on Saturday “Edozie left shoulder you cûnt, your man b’Jesus so it is!”

But still let’s keep playing him. He came from Man City so he must be good.

The question is why was a young inexperienced winger left as last man when we had a corner. Nothing to do with our manager who can’t organise a team that can defends ?

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'

Our manager on 07:29 - Sep 5 with 1642 viewssaintwizzler

Our manager on 22:27 - Sep 4 by A1079

Reading all these comments and other posts there is one definable fact that be it last season, the season before or this current one, we are a team, a club with persistent issues and failings which have not thus far been fixable whatever the manager or coach in charge. Which comes down to 2 things: we either keep appointing managers/coaches not up to the job or we persistently employ a group of players that appear to be incompetent at doing the basics or just won't.

Exactly this.

The appointment of Russell Martin is a gamble. It may pay off, it may not.
Nathan Jones was a gamble. Selles got the job on the back of beating Chelsea.

We’ve needed a good spine of a team. Goalkeeper, Centre Back(s), Defensive Midfielder and Centre Forward.

We still haven’t got the goalkeeper. Bazunu may well become an excellent goalkeeper but to throw someone so young into a poor Premier League team last season was utter madness.

Centre Back - we have an experienced Championship winning player with Burnley last season and Captain of the England u21s now in TBH. Where was he Saturday? SAT ON THE BENCH.

Defensive Midfielder - again a youngster due to the owners profit making scheme, but in Shea Charles looks a good player in this position.
Big and strong. Where was he Saturday? SAT ON THE BENCH.

Centre Forward - Now the transfer window has shut and Che Adams is in the building he is the man in this position. Championship is his level. With Adam Armstrong moving to the wing.
Where was Che Adams on Saturday? SAT ON THE BENCH.

A good transfer window but McCarthy should have been moved on, at whatever cost, and a decent Championship level (or higher) goalkeeper bought.

But now we are stuck with Bazunu and McCarthy till January so it is what it is.

Why Martin didn’t pick TBH, Charles and Adams on Saturday only he knows?
And please none of this ‘right frame of mind bollôcks’ they are paid handsomely to do a job, SO GET ON AND DO IT!

Our manager on 07:38 - Sep 5 with 1634 viewsHeisenberg

‘The appointment of RM is a gamble’. It’s not a gamble at all. He can’t set up a team that defends. It doesn’t matter which players we have and if we have a world class keeper if we leave Edozie has as the only man back when we have a corner. Or leave your back four unprotected all the time. I keep saying it and happy to be proven wrong but we have absolutely no chance of going up if we continue conceding like we do. And it’s Martins responsibility to sort it. We should have appointed an experienced manager who has been there and done it. With our squad we would not be conceding like we do.

Our manager on 07:51 - Sep 5 with 1626 viewssaint22

Our manager on 23:49 - Sep 4 by SFC_Referee

Tbf we were never gonna be able to start all of them and satisfy everyone. As I also thought that Stu, Downes, Smallbone and A.Armstrong. As up front I think it was only really Mara who everyone agreed shouldn’t of played, and in midfield any could’ve arguably started.
So like Nick said, it’s only really Mara which RM can be blamed for

complete tosh

Its all RM's fault, he picked the wrong team and the wrong personnel and his tactics were all wrong
If the players didn't follow his game plan then he lacks man management, if they did he got it all wrong
as someone else pointed out we had better players in positions that were left on the bench

keeper aside he could have picked abetter team
Our manager on 07:56 - Sep 5 with 1620 viewsHeisenberg

Our manager on 07:51 - Sep 5 by saint22

complete tosh

Its all RM's fault, he picked the wrong team and the wrong personnel and his tactics were all wrong
If the players didn't follow his game plan then he lacks man management, if they did he got it all wrong
as someone else pointed out we had better players in positions that were left on the bench

RM is like the Tory Education minister who despite schools falling down complains that no one tells her she is doing a good job. RM comments after the game at the weekend showed he took absolutely no responsibility at all.

Our manager on 08:21 - Sep 5 with 1611 viewsBerber

A manager that has a team so woefully deficient on the basics surely sn’t managing and coaching effectively? He has history.
Our manager on 08:33 - Sep 5 with 1595 viewssaintwizzler

Our manager on 07:38 - Sep 5 by Heisenberg

‘The appointment of RM is a gamble’. It’s not a gamble at all. He can’t set up a team that defends. It doesn’t matter which players we have and if we have a world class keeper if we leave Edozie has as the only man back when we have a corner. Or leave your back four unprotected all the time. I keep saying it and happy to be proven wrong but we have absolutely no chance of going up if we continue conceding like we do. And it’s Martins responsibility to sort it. We should have appointed an experienced manager who has been there and done it. With our squad we would not be conceding like we do.

Well it is a gamble!
A gamble on wether we can get back up in 2 seasons or become the next West Brom!

Our manager on 09:35 - Sep 5 with 1556 viewssaint22

Our manager on 07:56 - Sep 5 by Heisenberg

RM is like the Tory Education minister who despite schools falling down complains that no one tells her she is doing a good job. RM comments after the game at the weekend showed he took absolutely no responsibility at all.

Our club is a bit like the Tory party generally, led by complete self serving fools only interested in making money for themselves and continually making awful decisions that affects everyone below them
Our manager on 09:36 - Sep 5 with 1551 viewsHeisenberg

Our manager on 08:33 - Sep 5 by saintwizzler

Well it is a gamble!
A gamble on wether we can get back up in 2 seasons or become the next West Brom!

It’s not a gamble if you know he’s not up to the job. Like putting money on a donkey to win the grand national. A few weeks ago RM made a comment about taking time for the players to understand his approach as it’s ‘a bit weird’. It’s not weird at all. Set up a team that can defend when you need to.

Our manager on 09:42 - Sep 5 with 1537 viewssaintwizzler

Our manager on 09:36 - Sep 5 by Heisenberg

It’s not a gamble if you know he’s not up to the job. Like putting money on a donkey to win the grand national. A few weeks ago RM made a comment about taking time for the players to understand his approach as it’s ‘a bit weird’. It’s not weird at all. Set up a team that can defend when you need to.

There’s 11 games between now and the international break in November.
Let’s see where we are then.

But things defensively HAVE to change.

Our manager on 09:44 - Sep 5 with 1537 viewsSFC_Referee

Our manager on 07:51 - Sep 5 by saint22

complete tosh

Well it ain’t, as many on here and the saintswebb we’re debating who should/shouldn’t be playing in all the other positions outside of Mara’s, as yeah Che should’ve played over him all day long, but for midfield and wingers basically everyone else was up for debate which is exactly why many have argued over it.
And defensively, for who was available that was always gonna be the defence we played, although hopefully that can change with players becoming available.

Poll: Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024