Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Best Saints Manager 1 2 3 21:06 - Sep 17 with 1483 viewsgrumpy

Who be interesting to know what people think it was
My ones....
1.Lawrie Mc Menemy
2. Mauricio Pochettino
3.Ronald Koeman
The Best Saints Manager 1 2 3 on 21:30 - Sep 17 with 1436 viewsPatfromPoole

I was too young for McMenemy.

1. Koeman
2. Strachan
3. Pochettino

Notable mentions for Adkins and Hoddle.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

The Best Saints Manager 1 2 3 on 21:47 - Sep 17 with 1399 viewsSouthamptonfan

1) Lawrie Mc Menemy
2) Ronald Koeman
3) Gordon Strachan

Chris Nichol also did a very good job and I loved Adkins.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2023 21:48]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

The Best Saints Manager 1 2 3 on 22:56 - Sep 17 with 1336 viewsJellybaby

1.Lawrie Mac
2. Koeman
3. Adkins

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

The Best Saints Manager 1 2 3 on 22:58 - Sep 17 with 1335 viewscocklebreath

1- strachan
2- Koeman
3- Adkins
Nichols was the first manager I knew as a saints fan and he was top notch too

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

The Best Saints Manager 1 2 3 on 23:11 - Sep 17 with 1319 viewskernow

It has to be managers that have actually achieved something, namely
Ted Bates
Lawrie McMenemy
Nigel Adkins
The Best Saints Manager 1 2 3 on 01:04 - Sep 18 with 1278 views1ASIN12

Lawrie McMenemy
Ronald koeman
Nigel Adkins
The Best Saints Manager 1 2 3 on 03:32 - Sep 18 with 1247 viewsCenturion

Lawrie McMenemy
R Koeman
Glenn Hoddle
The Best Saints Manager 1 2 3 on 12:47 - Sep 18 with 1098 viewsSaintNick

There can only be two choices for one and two, that is Ted Bates who built the modern foundations of the club and took it into the top flight for the first time and Lawrie McMenemy who after an initial disaster of relegation won the cup, took us back up and made us one of the top clubs for a while.

After that it is subjective, but I would say that Mauricio Pochettino is not even in the top 10 of Saints managers, he spent only 16 months here and managed an 8th place finish not ground breaking at all.

Chris Nicholl should get a mention, he was manager for 6 years and took us to a couple of cup semi finals and a top 10 finish, Ronald Koeman had two top 7 finishes and qualified us for Europe twice.

Gordon Strachan did well and his 8th place and an FA Cup final can't be overlooked.

Claude Puel got an 8th place finish and a League cup final, in terms of seasons in our 138 year history it is definitely in the top 10 in terms of League position and reaching a major cup final, he should be ranked higher than Pochettino that is for sure.

Nigel Adkins was a good manager at Saints, but most of his accomplishments were in League One & the Championship and he never got the chance to show if he could build on that, it would be interesting if he would have done as well as Pochettino did in his one full season given the money that was spent that summer.

As for most of the rest you can hardly call them best managers when most rarely lasted more than a season or two at best

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Login to get fewer ads

The Best Saints Manager 1 2 3 on 13:39 - Sep 18 with 1052 viewsfelly1

The Best Saints Manager 1 2 3 on 12:47 - Sep 18 by SaintNick

There can only be two choices for one and two, that is Ted Bates who built the modern foundations of the club and took it into the top flight for the first time and Lawrie McMenemy who after an initial disaster of relegation won the cup, took us back up and made us one of the top clubs for a while.

After that it is subjective, but I would say that Mauricio Pochettino is not even in the top 10 of Saints managers, he spent only 16 months here and managed an 8th place finish not ground breaking at all.

Chris Nicholl should get a mention, he was manager for 6 years and took us to a couple of cup semi finals and a top 10 finish, Ronald Koeman had two top 7 finishes and qualified us for Europe twice.

Gordon Strachan did well and his 8th place and an FA Cup final can't be overlooked.

Claude Puel got an 8th place finish and a League cup final, in terms of seasons in our 138 year history it is definitely in the top 10 in terms of League position and reaching a major cup final, he should be ranked higher than Pochettino that is for sure.

Nigel Adkins was a good manager at Saints, but most of his accomplishments were in League One & the Championship and he never got the chance to show if he could build on that, it would be interesting if he would have done as well as Pochettino did in his one full season given the money that was spent that summer.

As for most of the rest you can hardly call them best managers when most rarely lasted more than a season or two at best

Do you not remember the football we played under Poch Nick??
Do you not remember how exciting it was ...how pundits and neutrals alike praised us .
You always mention Puel...so strange...
The Best Saints Manager 1 2 3 on 13:46 - Sep 18 with 1046 viewsIfonly

Depends what you mean. If you mean "most effective manager for Saints" then it's a close call between Bates and McMenemy.

If you mean "Best manager" then it's Poch. He's the best of the few elite level managers we have had.

If you mean a combination of both, I might opt for Gordon Strachan.
The Best Saints Manager 1 2 3 on 14:07 - Sep 18 with 1029 viewswibbersda

No mention of Puel I see. Got us to a Cup Final and we could do with his Defensive tactics now!
The Best Saints Manager 1 2 3 on 15:33 - Sep 18 with 980 viewsandoverpedro

1.Lawrie Mc (different days back then )
2.Koeman ( brought in excellent players )
3.Glenn Hoddle
(hoddle had no money and got us safe every early both years)
The Best Saints Manager 1 2 3 on 16:25 - Sep 18 with 965 viewsSaintNick

The Best Saints Manager 1 2 3 on 13:39 - Sep 18 by felly1

Do you not remember the football we played under Poch Nick??
Do you not remember how exciting it was ...how pundits and neutrals alike praised us .
You always mention Puel...so strange...

This is a thread about the "Best" manager not the one who played the most exciting football, Alan Ball's sides played exciting football but that didn't get the team anywhere, Chris Nicholl's teams played some great football and also had some awful games.

We did play some great football under Pochetino, at times it was exciting, but it didn't get us to a cup final and it didn't get us into Europe and thats the starting point for any manager to be judged on.

I always mention Puel because he had a few bits of bad luck along the way , an injury to Van Dijk and the petulance of Fonte, yet he still got us to 8th in the League and a cup final, people will remember the 2017 cup final and how close we came to winning it a lot longer than they will remember a 3-0 win at Fulham , its all about perspective.

What people also seem to forget is the way he tried to wiggle out of his contract, tried to tell the club he wanted to be released so he could have time off so that Spurs would avoid compensation.

To be considered one of the best managers at a football club you have to have served some time and not jumped at the first opportunity

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

The Best Saints Manager 1 2 3 on 16:31 - Sep 18 with 958 viewsfranniesTache

The Best Saints Manager 1 2 3 on 12:47 - Sep 18 by SaintNick

This is absolutely spot on.

Bates is our Shankly or Busby, he transformed the club and made us a top flight team.

McMenemy won our only cup and gave us our highest league position (and most successful period)

Then it's a toss up between Strachan, Ball, Koeman, Poch, Puel and Hoddle for me.

And from a personal perspective I loved the Nicholl side of 4-2-4 and flowing attacking football.
The Best Saints Manager 1 2 3 on 16:31 - Sep 18 with 957 viewsPatfromPoole

The Best Saints Manager 1 2 3 on 16:25 - Sep 18 by SaintNick

This is a thread about the "Best" manager not the one who played the most exciting football, Alan Ball's sides played exciting football but that didn't get the team anywhere, Chris Nicholl's teams played some great football and also had some awful games.

We did play some great football under Pochetino, at times it was exciting, but it didn't get us to a cup final and it didn't get us into Europe and thats the starting point for any manager to be judged on.

I always mention Puel because he had a few bits of bad luck along the way , an injury to Van Dijk and the petulance of Fonte, yet he still got us to 8th in the League and a cup final, people will remember the 2017 cup final and how close we came to winning it a lot longer than they will remember a 3-0 win at Fulham , its all about perspective.

What people also seem to forget is the way he tried to wiggle out of his contract, tried to tell the club he wanted to be released so he could have time off so that Spurs would avoid compensation.

To be considered one of the best managers at a football club you have to have served some time and not jumped at the first opportunity

I think you should consider what the various managers inherited.

Puel inherited a very good side which had qualified for Europe twice.

Pochettino inherited a team which was on the verge of dropping into the bottom 3, and didn’t look strong candidates to stay up. Within a few weeks, he had us beating the Champions.

Similarly Strachan, who inherited a team incapable of getting a result in their new ground, but soon had us beating all the top sides.

The appointment of Puel was the start of the death by a thousand cuts which has got us to where we currently are.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024