Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So much for the cause of poor corners last season… 22:44 - Sep 21 with 1178 viewsSFC_Referee

I still remember quite a few w on here highlighting how poor we are at getting goals from corners last season, with many pointing the finger at Prowse, but I think how he’s started at West Ham as well as how we’ve been since he left kinda suggesting otherwise, with tonight’s proving it even more…
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66869803

Although in all seriousness though, why is it we’ve been so poor at corners in recent years? As it clearly wasn’t Prowse, so is it down to tactics? Who’s in the box or just something else? As I can’t remember the last season where we got a decent amount from corners

Poll: Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs

So much for the cause of poor corners last season… on 22:51 - Sep 21 with 1131 viewsSouthamptonfan

We don't have any tall, physical players in the team to power headers into the net. All our players are too small and too weak. Ward--Prowse is perfect for a David Moyes led West Ham full of strong, aggressive, tall, big players who get on the end of free kicks and corners. We have built a team of midgets, young inexperienced and naive players who just get bullied and overpowered by a much physically stronger opposition.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2023 22:53]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

So much for the cause of poor corners last season… on 23:31 - Sep 21 with 1092 viewsPatfromPoole

I know.

Let’s get a set-piece coach.

That’ll sort it.

Oh.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

So much for the cause of poor corners last season… on 23:40 - Sep 21 with 1084 viewssaint22

So much for the cause of poor corners last season… on 22:51 - Sep 21 by Southamptonfan

We don't have any tall, physical players in the team to power headers into the net. All our players are too small and too weak. Ward--Prowse is perfect for a David Moyes led West Ham full of strong, aggressive, tall, big players who get on the end of free kicks and corners. We have built a team of midgets, young inexperienced and naive players who just get bullied and overpowered by a much physically stronger opposition.

This
Plus the one tall striker we never played and then we sold
So much for the cause of poor corners last season… on 09:15 - Sep 22 with 943 viewsIfonly

So much for the cause of poor corners last season… on 22:51 - Sep 21 by Southamptonfan

Yes this, but it's not just about corners. It's true in general play too - partly because we build up so slowly.

Often by the time we're threatening their penalty area, they've had time to get back and blocked all the space. Then about our only option is to throw crosses into the box which our strikers are too small to get on the end of.

Having midgets would make sense if we were a counter-attacking team that relied on speed on the break, but we don't play that way.
So much for the cause of poor corners last season… on 10:07 - Sep 22 with 906 viewsSonicBoom

Loads of teams take corners and just swing it into the box. I'd like to see the % that actually result in a goal. Seems a waste of time unless you have really aggressive tall players in there.
Thomas Franck gave some great insight into what Brentford do from corners and how they try to do different things rather than just sling it in there. I think that was on a Monday night football but really worth watching if you can find it.
So much for the cause of poor corners last season… on 10:19 - Sep 22 with 893 viewssledger

youre quite right about our phycsicality or lack of it but a lot of prowses set ball play was poor last year often not beating the first man.His performances this season show how little motivation he showed for us,mind you he now has moyes kicking him up the back side.
So much for the cause of poor corners last season… on 16:58 - Sep 22 with 815 viewswibbersda

So much for the cause of poor corners last season… on 10:07 - Sep 22 by SonicBoom

Loads of teams take corners and just swing it into the box. I'd like to see the % that actually result in a goal. Seems a waste of time unless you have really aggressive tall players in there.
Thomas Franck gave some great insight into what Brentford do from corners and how they try to do different things rather than just sling it in there. I think that was on a Monday night football but really worth watching if you can find it.

I believe Crouchy commented on this. Its something like 3% for corners. So all the excitement when we get one seems superfluous.
So much for the cause of poor corners last season… on 11:23 - Sep 23 with 673 viewsdarthvader

So much for the cause of poor corners last season… on 16:58 - Sep 22 by wibbersda

I believe Crouchy commented on this. Its something like 3% for corners. So all the excitement when we get one seems superfluous.

I get more nervous from the inevitable counter attack from a corner tbh

keep the faith coyr

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024