Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
“Support” last night 07:33 - Feb 14 with 2897 viewsPatfromPoole

Unfortunately quantity does not equate to quality.

Surrounded by absolute tools last night who think that singing “Football in a Library” and “School in the Morning” to Bristol fans constituted support and humour. It did neither.

Sadly the team mirrored this last night.

We were due a bad one, I guess.

Need to pick it up again on Friday, on and off the pitch.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

“Support” last night on 08:08 - Feb 14 with 1951 viewsSalisburySaint

Was much better behind the goal where I was, even at three nil down were still trying to get behind the team
“Support” last night on 08:39 - Feb 14 with 1887 viewsPatfromPoole

“Support” last night on 08:08 - Feb 14 by SalisburySaint

Was much better behind the goal where I was, even at three nil down were still trying to get behind the team

They weren’t getting behind the team at 0-0, so wasting their time at 3-0.

That includes behind the goal, which I was just to the side of.

Like a morgue for most of the game.
[Post edited 14 Feb 8:40]

“Support” last night on 08:52 - Feb 14 with 1851 viewsSonicBoom

We looked lethargic from the start and played at walking pace for most of the first half. We also uncharacteristically gave the ball away a lot in simple situations.
But hey ho, the run is over. We had to lose eventually. Maybe there will be a little less pressure now the run has ended.
“Support” last night on 09:41 - Feb 14 with 1781 viewsTimSaint

“Support” last night on 08:39 - Feb 14 by PatfromPoole

I was to the left of the goal as you look at it from the pitch.

I felt there was quite a bit of singing, with a variety of songs, but it wasn't collective singing, so often ended quickly.

Had the team been playing better or indeed winning, then I'm sure the songs would have been louder and prouder.

From what I could see, that 'school in the morning' chant was directed at a teenaged City fan, who was being ejected. Ironic perhaps that it was half term.

The other noticeable from last night was that many left early - some as much as 15 mins. I know we were shit and the traffic was bad around the ground, but I wonder how many missed our goal ? We left at the final whistle, 10 mins back to the car, then after 10 mins of driving, there was a Saints fan calling into TalkShite to moan, who was already on the M4 driving back !! You pay your money - you can leave when you want, but as you've made the effort to get there and all that !!

TimSaint

“Support” last night on 10:33 - Feb 14 with 1686 viewsShirtNumbers

“Support” last night on 09:41 - Feb 14 by TimSaint

I was to the left of the goal as you look at it from the pitch.

I felt there was quite a bit of singing, with a variety of songs, but it wasn't collective singing, so often ended quickly.

Had the team been playing better or indeed winning, then I'm sure the songs would have been louder and prouder.

From what I could see, that 'school in the morning' chant was directed at a teenaged City fan, who was being ejected. Ironic perhaps that it was half term.

The other noticeable from last night was that many left early - some as much as 15 mins. I know we were shit and the traffic was bad around the ground, but I wonder how many missed our goal ? We left at the final whistle, 10 mins back to the car, then after 10 mins of driving, there was a Saints fan calling into TalkShite to moan, who was already on the M4 driving back !! You pay your money - you can leave when you want, but as you've made the effort to get there and all that !!

Travelled up to the game and did leave early.

Don't care about seeing a pointless goal when we are 3-0 down and quite frankly shite.

Why waste my time watching complete dross when I could sit in a good pub after the game, of which Bristol has plenty to offer.
“Support” last night on 10:38 - Feb 14 with 1665 viewsShirtNumbers

Completely agree Pat.

People just want to be seen singing a lot of the popular ones, including that embarrassing fratton park os falling down drivel. I guess its in hope that someone films them and they can boast about being there or something

TLDR: Our "support" is incredibly performative. People only willing to sing about 2 songs a half and think that will do. Does nothing to help the team.
“Support” last night on 11:16 - Feb 14 with 1596 viewsfranniesTache

“Support” last night on 10:38 - Feb 14 by ShirtNumbers

Completely agree Pat.

People just want to be seen singing a lot of the popular ones, including that embarrassing fratton park os falling down drivel. I guess its in hope that someone films them and they can boast about being there or something

TLDR: Our "support" is incredibly performative. People only willing to sing about 2 songs a half and think that will do. Does nothing to help the team.

Probably make me sound like a miserable old man but it seems a lot of the nippers these days think "support" means making a video for social media about how much you hate your rivals, instead of backing the team infront of you.
“Support” last night on 12:47 - Feb 14 with 1425 viewsSalisburySaint

Where I was they were singing all game, plus even at 3-0 down

That’s the point I was trying to make
Login to get fewer ads

“Support” last night on 12:54 - Feb 14 with 1404 viewsNumber_58

Just out of interest, when it goes quiet have you tried getting a chant going yourself? There seem to be a lot of people who say the same thing about the atmosphere after virtually every game; why not all get together and do something about it? Just a thought, not a criticism.
“Support” last night on 13:58 - Feb 14 with 1323 viewsfranniesTache

“Support” last night on 12:54 - Feb 14 by Number_58

Just out of interest, when it goes quiet have you tried getting a chant going yourself? There seem to be a lot of people who say the same thing about the atmosphere after virtually every game; why not all get together and do something about it? Just a thought, not a criticism.

Tried many, many times, but it doesn't make a difference, the nippers don't want to join in with anything that doesn't mention pompey.

I know more than one person who's actually thinking about giving up aways because our support is so infested with utter dinlows
“Support” last night on 14:16 - Feb 14 with 1297 viewsSouthamptonfan

“Support” last night on 13:58 - Feb 14 by franniesTache

Tried many, many times, but it doesn't make a difference, the nippers don't want to join in with anything that doesn't mention pompey.

I know more than one person who's actually thinking about giving up aways because our support is so infested with utter dinlows

The problem is, they won't know what you mean? I think I have asked this before but what is it that's wrong? Haven't we always sang about Pompey? I remember singing about Pompey 30 years ago! I thought the support was decent last night, only tempered by the poor performance and losing the game. Why are they utter dinlows? Do you just not like the look of them, too young, too immature? Or is it the man with a farmer's hat sat on his phone, not enough bold headed middle aged men? What do you and others actually mean? I genuinely don't know what it is you don't like.

I get the collective annoyance at any booing, the collective annoyance about not being loud enough, I don't like the whole country society thing of taking pictures, tourists, phone torch lights but that's everywhere. When you talk about the dinlows, I can't really pinpoint what you mean and if I can't, they won't either and therefore nothing will change.
[Post edited 14 Feb 14:20]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

“Support” last night on 14:30 - Feb 14 with 1282 viewsfranniesTache

“Support” last night on 14:16 - Feb 14 by Southamptonfan

The problem is, they won't know what you mean? I think I have asked this before but what is it that's wrong? Haven't we always sang about Pompey? I remember singing about Pompey 30 years ago! I thought the support was decent last night, only tempered by the poor performance and losing the game. Why are they utter dinlows? Do you just not like the look of them, too young, too immature? Or is it the man with a farmer's hat sat on his phone, not enough bold headed middle aged men? What do you and others actually mean? I genuinely don't know what it is you don't like.

I get the collective annoyance at any booing, the collective annoyance about not being loud enough, I don't like the whole country society thing of taking pictures, tourists, phone torch lights but that's everywhere. When you talk about the dinlows, I can't really pinpoint what you mean and if I can't, they won't either and therefore nothing will change.
[Post edited 14 Feb 14:20]

Dinlow behaviour is try hard, we've always sung a bit about pompey but it's literally every song, i think it was Millwall away this season i got bored and counted it, and every single song bar OWTS that was sung mentioned the skates.

That's just border line obsessive. Also that "library" crap is just dumb, it usually bares no relevance to the game/ground, and even if it did why would you want them to be loud.

It's not even strictly an age thing, the younger lads who travel with us find it embarrassing too.

I get we're going to copy other fan bases, i've given up on the idea we could be original, but it'd be nice to actually sing about the club or the city, and show pride in that instead of play acting hating pompey (which is even more embarrassing given most wouldn't even go there for a derby)
“Support” last night on 14:50 - Feb 14 with 1250 viewsSouthamptonfan

“Support” last night on 14:30 - Feb 14 by franniesTache

Dinlow behaviour is try hard, we've always sung a bit about pompey but it's literally every song, i think it was Millwall away this season i got bored and counted it, and every single song bar OWTS that was sung mentioned the skates.

That's just border line obsessive. Also that "library" crap is just dumb, it usually bares no relevance to the game/ground, and even if it did why would you want them to be loud.

It's not even strictly an age thing, the younger lads who travel with us find it embarrassing too.

I get we're going to copy other fan bases, i've given up on the idea we could be original, but it'd be nice to actually sing about the club or the city, and show pride in that instead of play acting hating pompey (which is even more embarrassing given most wouldn't even go there for a derby)

We sing OWTS a lot, come on you reds, The Saints, you could say we sing about Pompey too much but it doesn't really bother me too much. The song about stewart Armstrong is original, the 25 undefeated was original. Not sure how we can be any more original otherwise you end up with songs to the tune of the Telly Tubbies (In the quest to be original) or something embarrassing like that. I thought the atmosphere against Huddersfield in the second half was loud and proud, people stood up around the ground getting behind the team. It was loud, I didn't really care what the song was, just that the players could hear loud, happy fans. I'm just not sure what you and obviously, some others are saying. Many of those singing about Pompey definitely would go to the Derby because we would all go in convey on protected coaches. Do you want us to be more like Millwall? More passionate, more like Norwich? I'm genuinely interested in what you mean.
[Post edited 14 Feb 14:55]

“Support” last night on 15:08 - Feb 14 with 1217 viewsfranniesTache

“Support” last night on 14:50 - Feb 14 by Southamptonfan

We sing OWTS a lot, come on you reds, The Saints, you could say we sing about Pompey too much but it doesn't really bother me too much. The song about stewart Armstrong is original, the 25 undefeated was original. Not sure how we can be any more original otherwise you end up with songs to the tune of the Telly Tubbies (In the quest to be original) or something embarrassing like that. I thought the atmosphere against Huddersfield in the second half was loud and proud, people stood up around the ground getting behind the team. It was loud, I didn't really care what the song was, just that the players could hear loud, happy fans. I'm just not sure what you and obviously, some others are saying. Many of those singing about Pompey definitely would go to the Derby because we would all go in convey on protected coaches. Do you want us to be more like Millwall? More passionate, more like Norwich? I'm genuinely interested in what you mean.
[Post edited 14 Feb 14:55]

The stewart armstrong song isn't original it's nicked straigth from celtic (without changing a single word) and enola gay (the song) is now used by most other clubs.

The 25 undefeated isn't original, it was used for the Danny Ings song and used by england fans for years before that.

How can we get more original? Pretty easily, there's an entire cannon of popular (and classical) music to use for tunes. How do you think other clubs do it?

Do i want us to be more like Millwall? Dunno if you mean a club made up of people mostly from the local area with a sense of community and pride? Yeah that sounds great, can't be arsed with their bother element though.

Or more like Norwich? Well i'd like Norwich's ability to sell out their season tickets season after season after season, they're a really well supported club. But the sea of replica shirts isn't really my thing.

What i'd just like is to have less of the pompey crap and more about the city itself. Oh and an end to the library bollocks
“Support” last night on 15:12 - Feb 14 with 1208 viewsPatfromPoole

“Support” last night on 12:54 - Feb 14 by Number_58

It has been known to happen......

“Support” last night on 15:20 - Feb 14 with 1194 viewsSouthamptonfan

“Support” last night on 15:08 - Feb 14 by franniesTache

The stewart armstrong song isn't original it's nicked straigth from celtic (without changing a single word) and enola gay (the song) is now used by most other clubs.

The 25 undefeated isn't original, it was used for the Danny Ings song and used by england fans for years before that.

How can we get more original? Pretty easily, there's an entire cannon of popular (and classical) music to use for tunes. How do you think other clubs do it?

Do i want us to be more like Millwall? Dunno if you mean a club made up of people mostly from the local area with a sense of community and pride? Yeah that sounds great, can't be arsed with their bother element though.

Or more like Norwich? Well i'd like Norwich's ability to sell out their season tickets season after season after season, they're a really well supported club. But the sea of replica shirts isn't really my thing.

What i'd just like is to have less of the pompey crap and more about the city itself. Oh and an end to the library bollocks

So what original songs would you suggest? I know plenty of songs, but struggling to think what would sound good in a football stadium, that links to Southampton. The problem is the songs we sing and or copy, work. Bristol fans were singing were singing OWTS go 3 nil down. Spurs fans sing Owt Spurs go marching in. All the clubs copy each other, it's not just a Saints thing I would say. Some clubs, many in the Premier League and Rotherham, sit there in complete silence. I think we are a lot better than a lot of clubs, but perhaps we sing about Pompey and libraries too much, but for me that's better than silence.

As for pride in our community, well that's a society thing. Our whole country has gone to the dogs. Nobody gives a sh!t about their community, just when the next play station is coming out or where there is a clean wall to graffiti. And that's everywhere, not just here.
[Post edited 14 Feb 15:25]

“Support” last night on 15:23 - Feb 14 with 1186 viewssaints__fan__73

For my sins I was near the back of the Chapel on Saturday and it was wall to wall backboard smashing (assume they were trying to fight their way out of the stadium) and 20 mins of who the f'k is laughing now. (I assume the answer to that is no one as we are both in the lower leagues).

I can see why fans prefer to watch football in silence.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

“Support” last night on 15:27 - Feb 14 with 1175 viewsfranniesTache

“Support” last night on 15:20 - Feb 14 by Southamptonfan

So what original songs would you suggest? I know plenty of songs, but struggling to think what would sound good in a football stadium, that links to Southampton. The problem is the songs we sing and or copy, work. Bristol fans were singing were singing OWTS go 3 nil down. Spurs fans sing Owt Spurs go marching in. All the clubs copy each other, it's not just a Saints thing I would say. Some clubs, many in the Premier League and Rotherham, sit there in complete silence. I think we are a lot better than a lot of clubs, but perhaps we sing about Pompey and libraries too much, but for me that's better than silence.

As for pride in our community, well that's a society thing. Our whole country has gone to the dogs. Nobody gives a sh!t about their community, just when the next play station is coming out or where there is a clean wall to graffiti. And that's everywhere, not just here.

songs we (as a group) have tried to use in recent years that would've been original

Dock of the bay (adapted for the city of Southampton)
There she goes by the La's (for Djeneppo)
Another Saturday night by Sam Cooke (about our fans and having a laugh)
Come on Eileen for Liveramento
Sugar Sugar by the Archies for Tella
Raspberry Beret by Prince for KWP
Dedicated follower of fashion by the Kinks (to take the piss out of other fans)
Psycho Killer by the Talking Heads for Romain Perraud (yeah Pat you sing it but we came up with it ( )
500 miles by the proclaimers for adam/stuart armstrong

I'm sure there were more too but i can't remember them.

Not a single one caught on sadly. Instead most people nicked a song from elsewehre
“Support” last night on 15:32 - Feb 14 with 1166 viewssaints__fan__73

“Support” last night on 15:27 - Feb 14 by franniesTache

songs we (as a group) have tried to use in recent years that would've been original

Psycho Killer by the Talking Heads for Romain Perraud (yeah Pat you sing it but we came up with it ( )

Not a single one caught on sadly. Instead most people nicked a song from elsewehre

Have you considered anything from the last 50 years?

“Support” last night on 15:34 - Feb 14 with 1160 viewsSouthamptonfan

“Support” last night on 15:27 - Feb 14 by franniesTache

Some great music there, but many of them are tunes from decades ago. Many of our "younger" fans probably don't know the tune, the words or have ever heard these songs, which as sad as as it is, that's probably why it doesn't catch on. And people are lazier than they used to be. Much easier to just copy a song but that's the same everywhere.
[Post edited 14 Feb 15:38]

“Support” last night on 15:53 - Feb 14 with 1133 viewsPatfromPoole

“Support” last night on 15:20 - Feb 14 by Southamptonfan

Maybe we need a song wholly in acronyms for the Tik Tok and Snapchat generation to salivate over,

OMG, bro
Saints are proper sick
WTF
G2G we're gonna score.

“Support” last night on 16:02 - Feb 14 with 1121 viewsSouthamptonfan

“Support” last night on 15:53 - Feb 14 by PatfromPoole

Maybe we need a song wholly in acronyms for the Tik Tok and Snapchat generation to salivate over,

OMG, bro
Saints are proper sick
WTF
G2G we're gonna score.

Saints are proper sick, proper sick, Saints are proper sick, na na na nana na, Saints are proper sick, proper sick, Saints are proper sick.

Exactly, now a song like this would catch on easily. Tik Toc, chat rats etc what has the world come to. It's the same across our country. To the dogs I tell ya.

“Support” last night on 16:15 - Feb 14 with 1102 viewssaints__fan__73

“Support” last night on 15:53 - Feb 14 by PatfromPoole

OMG, bro
Saints are proper sick
WTF
G2G we're gonna score.

Do you actually know what an acronym is?

“Support” last night on 16:16 - Feb 14 with 1100 viewsNumber_58

“Support” last night on 13:58 - Feb 14 by franniesTache

Trouble is, everyone's interpretation of a good day out is different. The muppets today obviously think that singing anti-Pompey songs for the entire game is cool (in their defence, some of us thought that standing at the back of the Milton singing about being a strawberry grower was cool once upon a time). The only way round it is for normal folk to introduce some new decent songs and outsing the muppets. Get a group of fans together in a pub before games, hand out some lyrics so everyone knows the words, stick a video of it on SM and get the ball rolling. Just an idea....
“Support” last night on 16:19 - Feb 14 with 1097 viewsfranniesTache

“Support” last night on 15:34 - Feb 14 by Southamptonfan

Some great music there, but many of them are tunes from decades ago. Many of our "younger" fans probably don't know the tune, the words or have ever heard these songs, which as sad as as it is, that's probably why it doesn't catch on. And people are lazier than they used to be. Much easier to just copy a song but that's the same everywhere.
[Post edited 14 Feb 15:38]

Honestly i think most of our fans would know half that list of tunes (not that i'd expect them to know Sam Cooke or Talking Heads but f*ck it that was for our own amusement as much as anything)

Plus of course how many of them knew the original beach boys version of Sloop John B? Or OMD's Enola Gay? or guantanamera? Hell i'd imagine most haven't even heard the proper version of OWTS (which we should 100% use the full verses too btw).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024