Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Will we be promoted? 12:30 - Feb 18 with 1493 viewsIfonly

The bookies think we will, but I think the odds are actually against us.

According to the bookies we're about 4/7 on, so saying that we probably WILL be promoted. But, to me, Leeds look the stronger side and have the advantage of the final match. We're the best of the rest, but missing out on automatic promotion means we're in the playoffs and that will be a bit of a lottery. Even if we're playing well at that stage and go in as favourites, our realistic odds will only be roughly 2/1 or maybe 3/2, so the odds go against us. I can easily see the likes of Norwich surprising people and going up via the playoffs.

The bookies think our chances of promotion are 64% and I think the real number is more like the other way round at 46%. What do you think?
Will we be promoted? on 12:39 - Feb 18 with 1457 viewsdavidargyll

Funnily enough I have never heard of a poor bookie...
Will we be promoted? on 13:47 - Feb 18 with 1347 viewsSouthamptonfan

We have a good chance, as the bookies suggest. We have to do our bit, obviously but if we do, we will be 4 points ahead of Leeds, come next Saturday evening or we will be in 2nd, only 5 behind Leicester. I wouldn't fancy our chances if we have to go to Elland Road and get a result as it will be like a bear pit but hopefully it will be done by then. We have some tough games, but we can go to Leicester and get revenge for the defeat at St Mary's. I think we have a very good chance of automatic promotion. Might be wrong, but I have a feeling Leicester could throw it away and blow up.
[Post edited 18 Feb 13:50]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Will we be promoted? on 14:15 - Feb 18 with 1314 viewsDorsetIan

Will we be promoted? on 13:47 - Feb 18 by Southamptonfan

We have a good chance, as the bookies suggest. We have to do our bit, obviously but if we do, we will be 4 points ahead of Leeds, come next Saturday evening or we will be in 2nd, only 5 behind Leicester. I wouldn't fancy our chances if we have to go to Elland Road and get a result as it will be like a bear pit but hopefully it will be done by then. We have some tough games, but we can go to Leicester and get revenge for the defeat at St Mary's. I think we have a very good chance of automatic promotion. Might be wrong, but I have a feeling Leicester could throw it away and blow up.

We have been playing consistently well and we got straight back to winning ways after the Bristol game.

Getting up and out of this league is all about consistency because there's always someone snapping at your heels.

I think we''ll continue to play really well and it'll be about who drops fewer points, us or Leeds.

Team and manager are flying at the moment. That's all we can ask for.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Will we be promoted? on 14:40 - Feb 18 with 1290 viewsSFC_Referee

Yeah well we’ll get an idea of whether or not Leicester will bottle it from their games against us and Leeds, as well as all the ones in the middle, as if both us and Leeds beat them, and we win our game in hand against Hull on Tuesday, then we’ll only be 2 points behind them whilst Leeds will be just 3 and Ipswich only being 6 off. So it certainly could be an interesting end to the season if Leicester do drop anymore points outside of their games against us and Leeds
[Post edited 18 Feb 15:34]

Poll: Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs

Will we be promoted? on 15:20 - Feb 18 with 1240 viewsCenturion

interesting comments, but I think Leicester will be hard to catch.
Leeds look good and don't under estimate Ipswich.
If we reach the play offs I think we can win, but as has been said it can be a lottery.
Will we be promoted? on 15:48 - Feb 18 with 1178 viewsgrumpy

Hope I am wrong, but can see us losing in the playoffs.
Will we be promoted? on 16:05 - Feb 18 with 1155 viewsGRIM

Will we be promoted? on 12:39 - Feb 18 by davidargyll

Funnily enough I have never heard of a poor bookie...

You never see a Bookie on a bike.
But I think it'll be Leicester & Leeds for automatic promotion.
Which means we'll be in the dog fight of the play offs.
That worries me because it'll be the team that's in the best form at the time of the play offs that'll get promoted.
I like a gamble but I wouldn't bet on us going up via play offs.
Will we be promoted? on 22:58 - Feb 18 with 981 viewsLondonSaint76

One of my neighbours is an ex-journalist who worked on football reporting for many years. His prediction is for Leeds + Saints to go up automatically and a Leicester v Ipswich PO Final. He too thinks Leicester will implode. There's something he calls the '40 game factor ' which I've sort of heard mention of before. In a nutshell he says a 46 game season takes its toll in a different way to a 38 game season, might sound daft at first but he said that there is just something that seemes to happen to some teams at game No.40 onwards, they have been going great guns then fall apart in the final furlong. Quoted a few examples and made quite a convincig argument to back up the theory. A Keeds / Saints 1/2 is not a call I have heard made elsewhere yet but interesting as he thinks Leicester are a candidate for the 40 Factor. Not sure myself but it would be nice if he was right

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

Login to get fewer ads

Will we be promoted? on 23:13 - Feb 18 with 976 viewsPatfromPoole

Will we be promoted? on 22:58 - Feb 18 by LondonSaint76

One of my neighbours is an ex-journalist who worked on football reporting for many years. His prediction is for Leeds + Saints to go up automatically and a Leicester v Ipswich PO Final. He too thinks Leicester will implode. There's something he calls the '40 game factor ' which I've sort of heard mention of before. In a nutshell he says a 46 game season takes its toll in a different way to a 38 game season, might sound daft at first but he said that there is just something that seemes to happen to some teams at game No.40 onwards, they have been going great guns then fall apart in the final furlong. Quoted a few examples and made quite a convincig argument to back up the theory. A Keeds / Saints 1/2 is not a call I have heard made elsewhere yet but interesting as he thinks Leicester are a candidate for the 40 Factor. Not sure myself but it would be nice if he was right

Can’t recall too many examples of teams who have been leading in the Championship for most of the season, and then choke it at the end.

If Leicester keep Mavadidi and Dewsbury-Hall fit, they shouldn’t choke.

I think we could do with Leeds getting an injury to Somerville. He’s the best player in the League at the moment, and they don’t like losing while he’s in their side.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Will we be promoted? on 23:32 - Feb 18 with 960 viewsSouthamptonfan

Will we be promoted? on 23:13 - Feb 18 by PatfromPoole

Can’t recall too many examples of teams who have been leading in the Championship for most of the season, and then choke it at the end.

If Leicester keep Mavadidi and Dewsbury-Hall fit, they shouldn’t choke.

I think we could do with Leeds getting an injury to Somerville. He’s the best player in the League at the moment, and they don’t like losing while he’s in their side.

Newcastle come to mind, albeit in the PL. They were 13 points clear and they blew it. "I would luv it if we beat them" famous Keegan rant. Can't recall many championship collapses, but I don't think there has ever been such quality teams us and Leeds chasing the top team. Let's see what happens Friday, but I do think a Leicester collapse is possible. If the gap is suddenly 5 points, mentally they will start to feel the pressure. Just the terrible thought that they could throw it away after being top all year. Meanwhile us and Leeds are in good spirits enjoying the chase. As it happens, I would rather a Leicester win Friday and be 4 points clear in second, but I have a feeling Leeds will win.
[Post edited 18 Feb 23:36]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Will we be promoted? on 11:51 - Feb 19 with 746 viewssaint901

My rose tinted spectacles say that if present form continues and baring us/Leeds and Ipswich having a meltdown, over the remaining matches we should be targeting 32 points.

Leeds realistically are targeting 31 points and Ipswich 30 points.

That will be (just) enough.

However, not much room to make an error.

As I've said elsewhere, this is down to the manager and the players now and we cannot rely upon upset elsewhere.

The sequence to get to 32 points allows two defeats and also allows us to go to Leeds a point or two ahead and just needing to avoid defeat.

I'm not a fan of "avoiding defeat" because it makes players nervous but playing for the win is also a bit squeaky bum.
Will we be promoted? on 15:15 - Feb 19 with 654 viewsericofarabia

Will we be promoted? on 11:51 - Feb 19 by saint901

My rose tinted spectacles say that if present form continues and baring us/Leeds and Ipswich having a meltdown, over the remaining matches we should be targeting 32 points.

Leeds realistically are targeting 31 points and Ipswich 30 points.

That will be (just) enough.

However, not much room to make an error.

As I've said elsewhere, this is down to the manager and the players now and we cannot rely upon upset elsewhere.

The sequence to get to 32 points allows two defeats and also allows us to go to Leeds a point or two ahead and just needing to avoid defeat.

I'm not a fan of "avoiding defeat" because it makes players nervous but playing for the win is also a bit squeaky bum.

Don't forget to factor in Leicester's GD which is a massive 18 better than ours and worth an extra point to them. A nice 9 nil win at their place would do it though 💪😂
Also Leeds 10 Gd better than us.
Last day of the season could be an absolute nerve shredding affair right down to GD deciding who makes the cut 😲
i noticed at Rotherham they displayed latest scores on the screen which would help avoid Chinese Whispers of what is happening elsewhere. Remember Alan Ball's Man City thinking a draw would keep them up so they eased off when in reality we were not losing and stayed up.
Will we be promoted? on 23:18 - Feb 19 with 538 viewssaint901

My assumption is that Leicester will win the league and us, Leeds and Ipswich are going for second.

We do though need a best 11 and for me, Mara is not in that team. I really hope that RM has seen enough and puts him back on the bench.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024