Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? 16:04 - Apr 4 with 3130 viewskingolaf

Love Saints, been watching them for over 40 years. I don’t feel anything for the club now. I’m fed up of us continually trying to reinvent football.

Bored of the way we play and so angry at the defensive set-up that seems designed to fail. We have a manager who is as arrogant as they come. This tippy-tappy ponderous football is so boring and easy to play against.

We continually see the opposition manager change tactics and work us out. Martin doesn’t seem capable of this.

The way it’s going, I probably won’t renew my season ticket. Last year was horrendous, and this season our failings have been self-inflicted. I’m not enjoying it any more. We could all see Boro’s equaliser coming and how many were that shocked that we threw it away against Ipswich?

Really fed up with it. Not losing, I’m a Saints fan after all. Just the manner of our play, our tit of a manager and our owners who have made one rubbish decision after another.
Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 16:08 - Apr 4 with 1981 viewsPatfromPoole

As ever with Saints, as with England, it is the hope that kills you.

I think this is why everybody seems to be so doom and gloom about the play-offs rather than looking forward to them. The winning mentality has been sucked out of the fans.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 16:35 - Apr 4 with 1932 viewsSouthamptonfan

Yep. It's the way we always throw things away. We were 2nd a few months ago, after not losing for 25 games. Even then, we expected a few defeats. But to throw it away so dramatically, is so numbing. To see Leicester and Leeds not throwing it away so we're the only relegated club not to keep up, is very damming. Ipswich was the game where we knew if we lost that was it. There is still the play offs, but Saints aren't convincing us they can stand the pressure, they always collapse. It just feels like we have thrown it away. Yes, very numb.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 16:46 - Apr 4 with 1913 viewsIfonly

TBF, some people are enjoying it this season and good on 'em. But I'm much the same as you. Used to love football and Saints, now disillusioned with both. I've enjoyed the wins this year but feel almost as frustrated as I did last year with the direction the club is taking. If I could believe that tippy tappy tactics were the right direction for Saints, then I wouldn't mind some bumps in the road. But I don't believe it for a minute. I feel that it's going to be a long painful wait for the club to finally realise they're heading down a dead end road.

The best case scenario for me is we get promoted, then inevitably we get smashed by the PL teams and end up in the relegation zone at Xmas and that's when the club decide to change direction to something more pragmatic, where we aren't afraid of getting the ball forward quickly and playing at pace.
Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 16:52 - Apr 4 with 1891 viewsBerber

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 16:08 - Apr 4 by PatfromPoole

As ever with Saints, as with England, it is the hope that kills you.

I think this is why everybody seems to be so doom and gloom about the play-offs rather than looking forward to them. The winning mentality has been sucked out of the fans.

And the team too.
Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 16:57 - Apr 4 with 1860 viewssaintwizzler

Yep, been watching SFC since 1980 and I really can’t be bothered to go anymore this season.

I can sit on my fat arse at home, save £100+ and watch it on TV on a stream.
Bored with it.
It’s become a chore.

I can’t do midweek games unless I take a days holiday so pointless renewing my Season Ticket next season and my away days are no more so that ST privilege isn’t relevant.

A return to the Premeier League may swing me.

WE MARCH ON

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 16:58 - Apr 4 with 1869 viewsfranniesTache

I'm kind of philosophical about this season, it's definitely frustrating to see us throw away our chances as much as we have, and at times watching us play has been like watching paint dry, but i massively prefer the league to the premier league.

At the end of the day though i'll renew next season, and probably the one after that and so on. Because Southampton to me is about pride in my city, spending time with friends and family and having a laugh.

If i took the football side too seriously i'd probably have topped myself 30 odd years ago - and god knows under branfoot it was tempting - but the reality of supporting your home town team in a business where half of them are owned by countries is that you're going to have more bad times than good.

But when those good moments come, f*ck me are they good.
Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 17:21 - Apr 4 with 1807 views1ASIN12

As a club we have a history of failing and not winning things or finishing 2nd - a case of always the bridesmaid never the bride.

I have seen us lose 2 league cup finals , 1 FACup final , 1 ZDS final.
Seen us finish 2 nd in the league in 84’ 2 nd in league one in 2010 , 2 in the championship in 2011.

If I lived in Leicester I’d have seen a league title, 2 championship titles , 1 league one title.
2 league cup wins and an FA cup win.

And I’d had always seen Leicester as a similar size club.

Seeing Portsmouth win a league and us fvck up again in the same season - to say I’m fed up is an understatement.
Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 17:32 - Apr 4 with 1787 views1teeminants

Nope not at all. I was fed up under Ian Branfoot, fed up after years and years of defeats in the premier league which is as dull as . I Loved it when we came top eight four years running, loved Europe Milan etc, vitesse was superb . Loved all the semi finals we’ve been in all comps and 5 cup finals all comps that I’ve seen.

This year has been refreshing 25 games unbeaten run , more season tkts sold despite being in a lower league.The feel good factor winning all those games.

I will be fed up when we get to the premier league and get dicked every week . What I’m really fed up with is the top 6 scooping all the trophies up year after year. I’m really looking forward to another day at Wembley hopefully in the play offs. Why wouldn’t you FfS ?

I may be in the minority but I just don’t get the doom and gloom. Russel Martin makes mistakes no question and no question he’s made some bad decisions recently but what really gets my goat is nobody gives him praise for that unbeaten run. I’m not bothered about tippy tappy I just want to win football matches and we’ve won a lot of football matches this season. I’m not sure what people are expecting .
[Post edited 4 Apr 17:33]

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Login to get fewer ads

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 17:38 - Apr 4 with 1772 viewsSaintNick

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 16:58 - Apr 4 by franniesTache

I'm kind of philosophical about this season, it's definitely frustrating to see us throw away our chances as much as we have, and at times watching us play has been like watching paint dry, but i massively prefer the league to the premier league.

At the end of the day though i'll renew next season, and probably the one after that and so on. Because Southampton to me is about pride in my city, spending time with friends and family and having a laugh.

If i took the football side too seriously i'd probably have topped myself 30 odd years ago - and god knows under branfoot it was tempting - but the reality of supporting your home town team in a business where half of them are owned by countries is that you're going to have more bad times than good.

But when those good moments come, f*ck me are they good.

LIke you I will renew and keep renewing, it is about pride, but we have lost that pride, lets be blunt the fans haven't been the cause of our collapse, but this season has been one of constant negativity, even when we were going through our 22 game unbeaten run, you went on social media and people were still moaning about something, be in individual players or the tippy tappy football.

It didn't matter that every other team in the top two divisions were playing it, it didn't matter that we were the top scorers and for that matter are still 3rd top scorers, Che Adams was S***, Adam Armstrong was not much better and as for the rest of the forward line they too werent even good enough for the Championship.

In life if you surround yourself with negativity, eventually it sucks the life out of you, in truth if you look back on this season Russell Martin has done a great job to get us into the play offs, given that he has the worst goalkeeper in the Championship, the worst left back, Jack Stevens, a couple of dodgy central midfielders and as for the attacking options, Ryan Fraser aside god knows how the awful Che Adams and Adam Armstrong are in the side.

Somehow Martin has steered us to the play offs but even if we go up we will be relegated back down, because we have owners who are not interested in anything other than buying players and then selling them at a profit, in fact they are so bad at finances they even managed to be the highest spending owners in the club's history such was their ineptitude

This club seems to need a clear out every so often, in 1974 we got relegated and the fans abused the manager and the board, we reset and the next decade or so were great, in the mid 90's the fans were on the back of the manager and the board, we reset and again enjoyed a decade or so of success, back in the late 00's the fans were on the back of the manager and the board, we reset again and enjoyed success.

This is just the natural way Saints operate, for 50 years I have watched it act out, nothing is good enough for some, crowds go down, we revive ourselves and then repeat the process.

Sorry to be so negative but I felt i was missing out on something

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 17:46 - Apr 4 with 1766 viewsSouthamptonfan

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 17:32 - Apr 4 by 1teeminants

Nope not at all. I was fed up under Ian Branfoot, fed up after years and years of defeats in the premier league which is as dull as . I Loved it when we came top eight four years running, loved Europe Milan etc, vitesse was superb . Loved all the semi finals we’ve been in all comps and 5 cup finals all comps that I’ve seen.

This year has been refreshing 25 games unbeaten run , more season tkts sold despite being in a lower league.The feel good factor winning all those games.

I will be fed up when we get to the premier league and get dicked every week . What I’m really fed up with is the top 6 scooping all the trophies up year after year. I’m really looking forward to another day at Wembley hopefully in the play offs. Why wouldn’t you FfS ?

I may be in the minority but I just don’t get the doom and gloom. Russel Martin makes mistakes no question and no question he’s made some bad decisions recently but what really gets my goat is nobody gives him praise for that unbeaten run. I’m not bothered about tippy tappy I just want to win football matches and we’ve won a lot of football matches this season. I’m not sure what people are expecting .
[Post edited 4 Apr 17:33]

Out of the three clubs who were relegated from the PL last year, we are the ones who have fallen short of automatic promotion. It is disappointing. I have also enjoyed the the championship this year, and have loved not having VAR and haven't missed playing the top sides. But if we don't get up, it gets tougher and tougher. I would hate to end up like Stoke with half the stadium empty, struggling to stay in the league. Or even a Reading. It would be nice to win a league or cup, but we always fall short. Similar sized clubs and smaller have more honours and it gets frustrating doesn't it. But what can you do? Hopefully we win at Wembley.
[Post edited 4 Apr 18:02]

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 18:38 - Apr 4 with 1688 viewssaint22

a good post
I have followed Saints since the halcyon days of shilton moran keegan etc and its the endless repetition of how we fail that kills me
the same errors season after season, not signing good enough players in positions we need them, and I am not talking about blowing tons of cash, just the RIGHT players where we need them. Not having to play people out of position because we didn't plan properly its BORING
Then then managers! Since Poch?Koeman we have had a succession of them who haven't got enough to take us forward, yes they have been slightly hamstrung but their decision making everywhere has been poor
No VAR has been a huge plus this season but as others have said the hope kills you,
Its Saints and I will keep going to watch them when I can but ffs its tedious the failure at times
Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 19:22 - Apr 4 with 1664 viewsIfonly

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 17:38 - Apr 4 by SaintNick

LIke you I will renew and keep renewing, it is about pride, but we have lost that pride, lets be blunt the fans haven't been the cause of our collapse, but this season has been one of constant negativity, even when we were going through our 22 game unbeaten run, you went on social media and people were still moaning about something, be in individual players or the tippy tappy football.

It didn't matter that every other team in the top two divisions were playing it, it didn't matter that we were the top scorers and for that matter are still 3rd top scorers, Che Adams was S***, Adam Armstrong was not much better and as for the rest of the forward line they too werent even good enough for the Championship.

In life if you surround yourself with negativity, eventually it sucks the life out of you, in truth if you look back on this season Russell Martin has done a great job to get us into the play offs, given that he has the worst goalkeeper in the Championship, the worst left back, Jack Stevens, a couple of dodgy central midfielders and as for the attacking options, Ryan Fraser aside god knows how the awful Che Adams and Adam Armstrong are in the side.

Somehow Martin has steered us to the play offs but even if we go up we will be relegated back down, because we have owners who are not interested in anything other than buying players and then selling them at a profit, in fact they are so bad at finances they even managed to be the highest spending owners in the club's history such was their ineptitude

This club seems to need a clear out every so often, in 1974 we got relegated and the fans abused the manager and the board, we reset and the next decade or so were great, in the mid 90's the fans were on the back of the manager and the board, we reset and again enjoyed a decade or so of success, back in the late 00's the fans were on the back of the manager and the board, we reset again and enjoyed success.

This is just the natural way Saints operate, for 50 years I have watched it act out, nothing is good enough for some, crowds go down, we revive ourselves and then repeat the process.

"tippy tappy football.... It didn't matter that every other team in the top two divisions were playing it"

You've said that before a few times Nick. Trouble is it's wrong.

There is no one else that puts so much priority on just keeping the ball. We have higher possession stats than Man City and everyone else. That should mean that we're winning more than any team in the country because possession stats are usually high for teams that are doing well. The Sunday league team that wins its division will probably have the highest possession stats even if it doesn't play possession football. Trouble is, we're not winning more than anyone else.

Ipswich, for example, are top of the Championship with 53% possession compared to our 66%. Would you really claim that they play the same tippy tappy that we do?

In the PL, Man U are 6th in the table with 51% possession and West Ham are 7th with 41%. Both high up the table but with low possession stats. Would you claim they play tippy tappy too?

The truth is that RM takes possession tactics to the extreme. That might work while we have a strong squad for the league we're playing in, but I can't see it working in the PL where (if we go up) our players will be below average ability, because that's all we will be able to afford.
Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 20:38 - Apr 4 with 1573 viewsSaintNick

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 19:22 - Apr 4 by Ifonly

"tippy tappy football.... It didn't matter that every other team in the top two divisions were playing it"

You've said that before a few times Nick. Trouble is it's wrong.

There is no one else that puts so much priority on just keeping the ball. We have higher possession stats than Man City and everyone else. That should mean that we're winning more than any team in the country because possession stats are usually high for teams that are doing well. The Sunday league team that wins its division will probably have the highest possession stats even if it doesn't play possession football. Trouble is, we're not winning more than anyone else.

Ipswich, for example, are top of the Championship with 53% possession compared to our 66%. Would you really claim that they play the same tippy tappy that we do?

In the PL, Man U are 6th in the table with 51% possession and West Ham are 7th with 41%. Both high up the table but with low possession stats. Would you claim they play tippy tappy too?

The truth is that RM takes possession tactics to the extreme. That might work while we have a strong squad for the league we're playing in, but I can't see it working in the PL where (if we go up) our players will be below average ability, because that's all we will be able to afford.

Possession football hasn't cost us, poor defending has, look at all 3 goals at Ipswich, nothing to do with possession football, just getting caught on the counter and poor defending, likewise the goal against Boro

Tippy Tappy football is a convenient thing to blame for our current woes, but the reality is that inability to defend counter attacks has cost us far more

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 20:44 - Apr 4 with 1553 viewssaintwizzler

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 20:38 - Apr 4 by SaintNick

Possession football hasn't cost us, poor defending has, look at all 3 goals at Ipswich, nothing to do with possession football, just getting caught on the counter and poor defending, likewise the goal against Boro

Tippy Tappy football is a convenient thing to blame for our current woes, but the reality is that inability to defend counter attacks has cost us far more

Will Russell Martin still be manager next season if we don’t get promotion?

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 20:48 - Apr 4 with 1551 viewsPatfromPoole

Aye.

Our second goal on Monday was a thing of beauty, but it was quite unusual in that we broke quickly up the pitch.

I think the frustration many have is that we often keep possession without the move ending in anything significant.

If we could play at a faster pace, it would be marvellous.

And you are right about the goals conceded. It tends to just be rank bad defending.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 20:53 - Apr 4 with 1535 viewsButty101

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 17:38 - Apr 4 by SaintNick

What’s your definition of success? We won f -all after these resets. In 90s the majority of the seasons were 16th or lower .

Tippy tappy football is bloody boring. It’s not just this season. Last season the amount of times we would get down the wing have no one in the box and then work the ball back to the halfway line .

Football is largely dull, but then I’m 50 and not a 10yearold idolizing my saints hero’s that were in my panini album. I’m sure kids today love it as much as I did. It’s getting older when harking back to the old days and how much better it was.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 20:56 - Apr 4 with 1532 viewsSaintNick

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 20:53 - Apr 4 by Butty101

What’s your definition of success? We won f -all after these resets. In 90s the majority of the seasons were 16th or lower .

Tippy tappy football is bloody boring. It’s not just this season. Last season the amount of times we would get down the wing have no one in the box and then work the ball back to the halfway line .

Football is largely dull, but then I’m 50 and not a 10yearold idolizing my saints hero’s that were in my panini album. I’m sure kids today love it as much as I did. It’s getting older when harking back to the old days and how much better it was.

After the reset in 1974 we won the FA cup in 1976

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 21:01 - Apr 4 with 1512 viewssaintwizzler

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 20:56 - Apr 4 by SaintNick

When’s the next reset?

This has got to be the best chance we have to go up.
Which is why I asked will Russell Martin still be manager next season if we don’t?

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 21:05 - Apr 4 with 1504 viewsSouthamptonfan

We really should have won more. Similar sized clubs and smaller clubs have won more and especially as we have been in the top league, more years than most. Just a lower league title or something to celebrate would be nice. It always feels like we tell the club we need a striker, or in the past a defender or a goalkeeper, just the missing piece of the jigsaw. Had Ralph been given a top striker, I honestly think we would have survived. Had Puel been given a top defender to replace Fonte, we probably would have won the cup. Had we brought in a striker that wasn't sat in the treatment room, we would be in the top 2. Adams in particular, I mean he handballed the ball into the net at Wolves when it was easier to score with his head, then he misses from 5 yards against Middlesbrough. If only he had been replaced. We are the nearly men, and it feels like it's because the club just refuse to find the missing piece of the jigsaw needed, then the other prices all fall off. They don't do it, then we just miss out on whatever it is. It is frustrating I guess.
[Post edited 4 Apr 21:10]

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 21:09 - Apr 4 with 1483 viewsSaintNick

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 21:05 - Apr 4 by Southamptonfan

We really should have won more. Similar sized clubs and smaller clubs have won more and especially as we have been in the top league, more years than most. Just a lower league title or something to celebrate would be nice. It always feels like we tell the club we need a striker, or in the past a defender or a goalkeeper, just the missing piece of the jigsaw. Had Ralph been given a top striker, I honestly think we would have survived. Had Puel been given a top defender to replace Fonte, we probably would have won the cup. Had we brought in a striker that wasn't sat in the treatment room, we would be in the top 2. Adams in particular, I mean he handballed the ball into the net at Wolves when it was easier to score with his head, then he misses from 5 yards against Middlesbrough. If only he had been replaced. We are the nearly men, and it feels like it's because the club just refuse to find the missing piece of the jigsaw needed, then the other prices all fall off. They don't do it, then we just miss out on whatever it is. It is frustrating I guess.
[Post edited 4 Apr 21:10]

Pule was given Martin Caceres who at the time was only 29 and then after leaving Saints after returning to Juventus helped them to Serie A title and is still playing for LA Galaxy.

Puel preferred Jack Stephens

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 21:13 - Apr 4 with 1471 viewsSouthamptonfan

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 21:09 - Apr 4 by SaintNick

Pule was given Martin Caceres who at the time was only 29 and then after leaving Saints after returning to Juventus helped them to Serie A title and is still playing for LA Galaxy.

Puel preferred Jack Stephens

Hmm the rumour was that if he played a certain number of games, we had to pay more. He was a last minute panic loan signing. Typical Saints. Fonte should have been replaced with a 30 million pound established defender.

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 21:16 - Apr 4 with 1458 viewsSaintNick

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 21:13 - Apr 4 by Southamptonfan

Hmm the rumour was that if he played a certain number of games, we had to pay more. He was a last minute panic loan signing. Typical Saints. Fonte should have been replaced with a 30 million pound established defender.

It wasnt so much Fonte leaving, in many respects that was expected and happened on January 20th, the real problem was a couple of days later on the 22nd January that Jamie Vardy chasing out a ball going for a Saints goalkick ran his studs down the back of Van Dijks leg and put him out

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 21:28 - Apr 4 with 1434 viewsSouthamptonfan

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 21:16 - Apr 4 by SaintNick

It wasnt so much Fonte leaving, in many respects that was expected and happened on January 20th, the real problem was a couple of days later on the 22nd January that Jamie Vardy chasing out a ball going for a Saints goalkick ran his studs down the back of Van Dijks leg and put him out

Yep, again though, we didn't replace either of them. Just a panic loan signing. Same when Ralph asked for a decent striker. I know your response will be " They did give him a decent striker, they gave him Mara" ha
[Post edited 4 Apr 21:38]

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 21:29 - Apr 4 with 1427 viewsButty101

I must of slept through the 90s and 00s success .
Did we win the combination league or Hampshire Senior cup?

Is Everyone as Fed Up as Me? on 21:31 - Apr 4 with 1424 viewsButty101

That’s down to the manager. Historically he can’t set and never has been able to set up a defence.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024