Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chair 09:30 - Apr 11 with 6748 viewsDorse

Obviously, this is an opinion thread, so it will solve nothing but I think we should try to flog Illy in the Summer (subject to him not doing a 10 stretch in the Belgian Scrubs). My reasoning is as follows:

Firstly, If we're ever going to get a reasonable fee for him, it needs to be sooner rather than later. He's as fit as a fiddle, no AFCON next season, his stats are right up there: it's about as attractive a proposition as he's going to get and, if we wait, we'll lose the opportunity. Imagine we waited another year for the Eze sale - it'd be the BOS situation again.

Secondly, and on a purely personal level, he's becoming increasingly predictable: get ball, dribble to edge of box, ignore overlapping runner, cut in on the right foot, edge of box, shoot on angle, rinse, repeat up to 20 times per match. If I can see it, then of course our oppo has prepped for it. We either adapt or die.

Finally, the team dynamic. I don't know professional football coaching from a hole in the ground but having a 'write the theme tune, sing the theme tune' player in the team is predicated on that player producing an end product. We call Dykes, Frey et al names because they don't score a lot. If Illy used the overlap more often, or even just crossed more regularly, our limited strikers might stand more of a chance. They might still be shite, but at least they can prove it on their own terms.

I'd sell. Would you?

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Chair on 11:14 - Apr 11 with 2045 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

OK. It's a shame but Willock will be no loss to us. Chair would be a major loss.
Chair on 11:23 - Apr 11 with 2013 viewsPeterHucker

I love him but yes, if we can get any kind of decent fee for him then sell him this summer.
I'm surprised we've managed to keep him this long really. I guess it's the legal case that has stopped others coming in for him.

As far as I'm concerned every player is for sale, after the last couple of seasons we need a major reset.
My biggest concern about staying up is that if we do, we'll just carry on with a lot of the same players which I think would be a massive mistake.
Chair on 11:28 - Apr 11 with 1984 viewsJimboqpr

If we can sell for a decent price (Although his on going legal problems may change what we can get possibly now) then I think we should sell. There was a Turkish club reportedly interested in him in Jan wasnt there? Maybe they'll come in again in the summer. With the way things have gone in their league recently an assault charge on his CV may actually increase his value!
Chair on 11:58 - Apr 11 with 1901 viewsQuillPenRiot

If we can get any reasonable price, then I bet we sell him, reason being we’ll have to rely on recruitment to build a whole new squad, whether or not we stay up. If we’re good at recruitment, Marti has a better chance of building with extra funds. If we’re not, we’re in another season of hurt with or without Ilias the Rock
Chair on 12:26 - Apr 11 with 1810 viewsBAWHoops

Yes, 100%.
Would love to keep him, think he's been our POTS but the club needs to be selling a player for £5m+ every single summer.
Chair this summer, JCS next summer and so on so on. It's the ONLY way we can progress as a club. In fact the proof is in the pudding that when we sold Smithies, then Freeman, then Furlong, then Eze we got better each season despite losing a key component of the team.
Sell and reinvest. We are in the situation we are in this season because we didn't sell in the summer of 2022 when Dieng, Dickie, Chair and Willock all could've fetched north of £5m each

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Chair on 12:43 - Apr 11 with 1770 viewsLazyFan

Time to sell Chair.

We have to sell players at some time. This summer is the time for Chair, along with JCS. As JCS we know will get injured, it's amazing he has survived this long. Get big fees for both, we can rebuild, in Marti we trust.

One option for Willock, which will have people aghast at even suggesting it, is a signing-on fee. At the end of the season, he's a free agent. He can go anywhere, and he will get way more money.

However, he may not play at say, some Prem team that has been relegated or some weirdo manager like Watford hires, so, could slip down the selection ranks, he knows this, and he wants to play. He may be happier with Marti as Marti plays him.

What's left to debate is money. If we have to replace Willock then this will cost us at least a £1m or more. I would suggest we give that to him to sign a long-term contract of 4 years, +1 year option. Some people may hate that he gets a million for running down his contract, but that's the nature of the market at the moment. I doubt he will get a million from a new club to sign on, but he would get improved wages, which we would have to come close to matching too.

What we offer is money up front, a known club with setup improving, London location so, no changing home, he knows we will sell him to higher-up clubs when the time is right (as we shall sell Chair and JCS this summer) and he looks all loyal like and all that PR jonx. Which is useful when the next club comes in for him. He also secures his career and possibly sticks in a release clause for say £6m, Freeman style.

A long shot, but I think he might do that as his stock is not as great as before, but he has been useful this season for us.
£1m is not that expensive for a Champ winger these days and also reduces our risk as know what we are getting. We could blow more than £1m on some like Roberts, who wants to do that? I would prefer we gave it to Willock to stay.

zzzzzzzzzz

Chair on 13:24 - Apr 11 with 1678 viewsNed_Kennedys

Chair on 12:26 - Apr 11 by BAWHoops

Yes, 100%.
Would love to keep him, think he's been our POTS but the club needs to be selling a player for £5m+ every single summer.
Chair this summer, JCS next summer and so on so on. It's the ONLY way we can progress as a club. In fact the proof is in the pudding that when we sold Smithies, then Freeman, then Furlong, then Eze we got better each season despite losing a key component of the team.
Sell and reinvest. We are in the situation we are in this season because we didn't sell in the summer of 2022 when Dieng, Dickie, Chair and Willock all could've fetched north of £5m each

Way off the pace for POTS in my opinion: nobody who claim to be attackers should be in the running based on our lack of goals.
Behind Cook (who should win by a country mile), JCS, Field and Dunne for me.
[Post edited 11 Apr 13:26]
Chair on 13:32 - Apr 11 with 1641 viewsParkRoyalR

This is the biggest decision facing the club this summer player wise in my opinion.

I keep coming back to Michael Beale's comment about Chair and also how when he was away at AFCON other year we went on a winning run even though we had less control of the ball in the final third, we just seemed to do more with it.

The question above my grade is does he slow down our attacking play due to the inherent flaw in his game of playing with his head down and just not seeing the options quick enough, which is likely why we have had so few reasonable bids for him.

If Willock does extend his contract, I would sell Chair, as Willock & Andersen are good enough to play in Cifuentes's preferred 4-4-3 formation.

I would also sell Paal as there is good value in his stock after this season and I've liked what I've seen of Larkeche so far, as well as JCS and Fox as cover at LB.
Login to get fewer ads

Chair on 13:39 - Apr 11 with 1619 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I can deal with the relegation fight.
I can.

But I can't deal with selling good players at the same time.

Later for that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Chair on 14:24 - Apr 11 with 1539 viewsR_from_afar

Chair on 10:27 - Apr 11 by rbee

Sell.

I am with RamseyR. I am hoping that Marti develops a new style of play for the team.

Illias has bags of talent and has been a wonderful servant to the club but so much goes through him, he often slows the attack down (This is why I think he is no longer in the Morocco squad) often shoots instead of passing.

I think a move is best for us, get some money and create a new way of playing without Illias. I think a fresh challenge would also benefit him and his career.

Of course the final decision is with Marti.

I wouldn't have such an issue with him shooting rather than passing if his shots were on target. It feels to me that his shooting accuracy has dropped. I don't have any hard evidence for that but watching this old video of him makes me think he's regressed:

That said, even though this season hasn't been his best, he is still our most creative player, I feel. I will miss him if we sell him but firstly, we need to cash in while we can, and secondly, I wonder if he fancies another season with a club that, even if it does manage to stay in the Championship, probably won't manage a sustained push for promotion or get far in the cups. I don't like to write such things but I'm being brutally honest.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Chair on 15:09 - Apr 11 with 1420 viewskensalriser

Chair on 10:31 - Apr 11 by Northernr

First order of business this summer is making sure he's not going bloody kayaking again.

Or loitering at bus stops. He definitely shouldn't be loitering at bus stops.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Chair on 16:12 - Apr 11 with 1316 viewsJevlar

Someone on here with far better knowledge than I will know but Chair must be in our top 20 most appearances ever as he's on over 200 - if you believe Wiki. That is slightly mind boggling actually.

It's tricky when you are the main creative outlet and have been for a few years, and if you have seen him a lot, you get used to (frustrated by) what he does (take the ball to the left touchline, hold on to it for a bit too long before eventually cutting in to mixed results) because you've seen it so much.

I'd rather have him than not but a QPR post Chair would be interesting to watch as you'd imagine a lot would go through Andersen, who doesn't dwell on the ball for anywhere near as long, and suit Marti's style better.

Chair has been a great servant for the club, and if he didn't hold on to the ball for as long and attempt those edge of the box curling shots/lofted crosses, he'd have left us several years ago - because someone would have bought him.
Chair on 17:21 - Apr 11 with 1213 viewsrichpr

No club is going to sign him while he has a prison sentance hanging over him. His shooting and final ball are pretty poor but what he doesn't get credit for in these ridiculously misleading stats is holding on to the ball. While he has it, the opposition don't have it. I think he has done an incredible job considering everything and hope he stays. I also think he has improved year on year and is approaching his peak. Hopefully we keep him next year, sign some other players like Hayden and Andersen and he will improve again.
Chair on 17:50 - Apr 11 with 1169 viewsdaveB

Chair on 13:32 - Apr 11 by ParkRoyalR

This is the biggest decision facing the club this summer player wise in my opinion.

I keep coming back to Michael Beale's comment about Chair and also how when he was away at AFCON other year we went on a winning run even though we had less control of the ball in the final third, we just seemed to do more with it.

The question above my grade is does he slow down our attacking play due to the inherent flaw in his game of playing with his head down and just not seeing the options quick enough, which is likely why we have had so few reasonable bids for him.

If Willock does extend his contract, I would sell Chair, as Willock & Andersen are good enough to play in Cifuentes's preferred 4-4-3 formation.

I would also sell Paal as there is good value in his stock after this season and I've liked what I've seen of Larkeche so far, as well as JCS and Fox as cover at LB.

That spell when he was away we did win a few games and were very good against Reading but we were very lucky to win at Coventry, West brom was a very close game and we missed him in the 0-0 draw against Swansea. i think it's a bit of a myth we were better without him that season
Chair on 17:55 - Apr 11 with 1154 viewsdaveB

Chair on 16:12 - Apr 11 by Jevlar

Someone on here with far better knowledge than I will know but Chair must be in our top 20 most appearances ever as he's on over 200 - if you believe Wiki. That is slightly mind boggling actually.

It's tricky when you are the main creative outlet and have been for a few years, and if you have seen him a lot, you get used to (frustrated by) what he does (take the ball to the left touchline, hold on to it for a bit too long before eventually cutting in to mixed results) because you've seen it so much.

I'd rather have him than not but a QPR post Chair would be interesting to watch as you'd imagine a lot would go through Andersen, who doesn't dwell on the ball for anywhere near as long, and suit Marti's style better.

Chair has been a great servant for the club, and if he didn't hold on to the ball for as long and attempt those edge of the box curling shots/lofted crosses, he'd have left us several years ago - because someone would have bought him.

He's 51st in the all time list for appearances

Assuming he starts the last 4 games he'll go to 49th ahead of Mark Lazarus and Ernie Shepherd

https://www.qprhistory.co.uk/players/player-stats-all-time
Chair on 17:57 - Apr 11 with 1138 viewsParkRoyalR

Chair on 17:50 - Apr 11 by daveB

That spell when he was away we did win a few games and were very good against Reading but we were very lucky to win at Coventry, West brom was a very close game and we missed him in the 0-0 draw against Swansea. i think it's a bit of a myth we were better without him that season

Agree we were lucky to win at Coventry thanks to Todd's wayward crossing and you could be right but above posters have the conundrum that is Ilias Chair....

Positives: As Rich above calls it 'while he has the ball the opposition don't have it'

Negatives: As Jevlar's last paragraph calls it, if he did'nt hold the ball too long and had more end product he's be long gone.
Chair on 17:59 - Apr 11 with 1134 viewsQPROslo

While there is the current risk of Chair being hauled off to a Belgian pinky I can't see any Club paying much for him. Likewise if he's incarcerated. So I think he may end up staying with us. Personally I'd be happy if his legal problems get resolved without him doing time and we sold him as long as the fee was good for the Club. I agree with the OP's opinion of his football ability. I've felt for a while when we are struggling he makes us worse by his refusal to pass the ball to others in a better position and his perserverence with trying to score from distance when increasingly he misses the target. He doesn't seem to be improving as a player so unless Marti really thinks he can help him improve this summer we should sell for good money, if we can. Doubtful with the prison risk ongoing.
Chair on 18:04 - Apr 11 with 1109 viewsdaveB

Chair on 17:57 - Apr 11 by ParkRoyalR

Agree we were lucky to win at Coventry thanks to Todd's wayward crossing and you could be right but above posters have the conundrum that is Ilias Chair....

Positives: As Rich above calls it 'while he has the ball the opposition don't have it'

Negatives: As Jevlar's last paragraph calls it, if he did'nt hold the ball too long and had more end product he's be long gone.

He does hold onto to it too long at times but when he does go early like the ball to Smyth the other night the forward usually cocks it up anyway
Chair on 18:27 - Apr 11 with 1071 viewsParkRoyalR

Chair on 18:04 - Apr 11 by daveB

He does hold onto to it too long at times but when he does go early like the ball to Smyth the other night the forward usually cocks it up anyway

I'd say 95% of the time he holds it too long, I always count his touches when he receives the ball and he rarely takes less than 5 touches before he gets his head up and sees a pass,

I know its not popular to say on this board but I am almost speechless when fans / posters who have watched him for nearly 200 games say...'oh I've never noticed he takes the ball with his head down and sets off on a dribble with his head down'...

Love the lad, absolute grafter, no quit in him, superb technical ability but how a player with his ball striking does'nt take our penalties or can get a corner beyond the first man is one of life's great mysteries.
Chair on 18:39 - Apr 11 with 1044 viewsBoston

Chair on 10:04 - Apr 11 by E17hoop

Had a look at his stats for Plymouth:
3 shote, 0 on target
0 tackles, interceptions or blocked shots
22 passes, 59% completion - the lowest of any player in the team
7 crosses, 2 accurate
3 long balls, 1 accurate

Busiest player but did the least business.

You've just cost us two million quid☹️

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Chair on 19:10 - Apr 11 with 1023 viewsJevlar

Chair on 17:55 - Apr 11 by daveB

He's 51st in the all time list for appearances

Assuming he starts the last 4 games he'll go to 49th ahead of Mark Lazarus and Ernie Shepherd

https://www.qprhistory.co.uk/players/player-stats-all-time

Just outside the Top 50. Thank you for providing that info. Still a lot for a modern QPR player, given the high turnover of players we’ve had in recent years.
Chair on 19:32 - Apr 11 with 982 viewsdavman

Balls to the lot of you.

For all of these flaws you all point out (many of which are valid to be fair), we are waaaaaaaaaay worse without him. He might be having a shocker, but he never hides. Look at Tuesday - he was utterly spent after about 55 minutes (fasting does that to you) and yet he kept going and going until he literally collapsed through exhaustion.

Yes, it was far from his best game, but he continually showed for the ball as he always does, never hid and yes even if the stats say that he did not win one tackle, he tracked back just fine.

Oh, did I say he had fasted to?

If we HAVE to sell and we get a reasonable offer in, I'm with most of you that we have to take it, but if we can balance the books with a JCS sale (who I still think is the BEST footballer at the club), do that instead. If the worst happens and he has to do a stint over the summer and the club stands by him, I can see him signing an extension and staying with us - for one, I'd be absolutely delighted if he went all Alan McDonald on us and stayed with us through the majority of his career (although I'd be surprised to see him playing in goal against Rangers late on his career like the great man did...).

Willock is going; we have no idea whether Anderson is contracted past this summer, which means that Chair will be our only proper 10.

Flawed. Yep, but ours, generally available and always really willing.

You will ALL miss him when he eventually goes. Trust me, you will.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Chair on 19:46 - Apr 11 with 964 viewsrichpr

I guarantee every championship club would have him in their team.
Chair on 19:52 - Apr 11 with 957 viewsngbqpr

Chair on 19:32 - Apr 11 by davman

Balls to the lot of you.

For all of these flaws you all point out (many of which are valid to be fair), we are waaaaaaaaaay worse without him. He might be having a shocker, but he never hides. Look at Tuesday - he was utterly spent after about 55 minutes (fasting does that to you) and yet he kept going and going until he literally collapsed through exhaustion.

Yes, it was far from his best game, but he continually showed for the ball as he always does, never hid and yes even if the stats say that he did not win one tackle, he tracked back just fine.

Oh, did I say he had fasted to?

If we HAVE to sell and we get a reasonable offer in, I'm with most of you that we have to take it, but if we can balance the books with a JCS sale (who I still think is the BEST footballer at the club), do that instead. If the worst happens and he has to do a stint over the summer and the club stands by him, I can see him signing an extension and staying with us - for one, I'd be absolutely delighted if he went all Alan McDonald on us and stayed with us through the majority of his career (although I'd be surprised to see him playing in goal against Rangers late on his career like the great man did...).

Willock is going; we have no idea whether Anderson is contracted past this summer, which means that Chair will be our only proper 10.

Flawed. Yep, but ours, generally available and always really willing.

You will ALL miss him when he eventually goes. Trust me, you will.

Came on to say pretty much this davman

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Chair on 19:59 - Apr 11 with 945 viewsJevlar

Chair on 19:46 - Apr 11 by richpr

I guarantee every championship club would have him in their team.

A good point and something you see a lot of opposition fans say. It makes me wonder have we held him back, would he have thrived more at a team like Leeds or Leicester?
[Post edited 11 Apr 20:00]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024