Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley 08:30 - Apr 17 with 3255 viewsPatfromPoole

Quite the slap in the face for Lumley for McCarthy to not be on the bench, but then put straight in the line-up.

However If it means less faffing about with the ball in our penalty area, I'm all up for that.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 08:51 - Apr 17 with 2180 viewssledger

all very strange
Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 08:55 - Apr 17 with 2172 viewsAscot_Saint

My seats are directly behind the home dug out and it was noticeable to me that Lumley wasn’t his usual happy self sat on the bench. He definitely looked proper p!ssed off. Which is understandable given he’s been the number 2 all season. And still is after Baz’s injury!
Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 09:12 - Apr 17 with 2145 viewsericofarabia

The players so obviously had little faith in Macca's ability as an outlet for RussBall style, that it improved our game.
We got the ball forward quicker and kept the pressure on much further upfield. At times Preston simply couldn't get out of their half and we weren't easing off the pressure by turning attacks into a 10 pass move back to our keeper 🙄
Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 09:34 - Apr 17 with 2097 viewsMytchettSaint

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 09:12 - Apr 17 by ericofarabia

The players so obviously had little faith in Macca's ability as an outlet for RussBall style, that it improved our game.
We got the ball forward quicker and kept the pressure on much further upfield. At times Preston simply couldn't get out of their half and we weren't easing off the pressure by turning attacks into a 10 pass move back to our keeper 🙄

It certainly seemed we were playing around with it at the back a lot less. Perhaps proof indeed that changing it up a bit might catch other teams out with different styles and patterns of play.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 09:38 - Apr 17 with 2089 viewsNumber_58

To be fair, McCarthy only played last night because they couldn't source a goalie's shirt with 'STEPHENS' on the back at such short notice.
That one was for Nick.
Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 10:05 - Apr 17 with 2044 viewssaintmark1976

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 09:38 - Apr 17 by Number_58

To be fair, McCarthy only played last night because they couldn't source a goalie's shirt with 'STEPHENS' on the back at such short notice.
That one was for Nick.

This would this be the same Nick who thought that Yoshida wasn’t good enough for us even though he played for Japan in the World Cup? Asking for a friend.
Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 10:21 - Apr 17 with 2011 viewsSaintNick

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 09:38 - Apr 17 by Number_58

That one was for Nick.

Much appreciated I did think the same when I saw the change

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 10:41 - Apr 17 with 1973 viewsSaintNick

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 10:05 - Apr 17 by saintmark1976

This would this be the same Nick who thought that Yoshida wasn’t good enough for us even though he played for Japan in the World Cup? Asking for a friend.

I was not a big fan of Yoshida that is no secret and I would point out that if you look at the central defenders we have had in the years before Yoshida and the years after,

Fonte
Hooiveld
Lovren
Alderweireld
Van Dijk
Bednarek
Hoedt
Stephens
Vestergaard
Salisu
Bella-Kotchap
Harwood-Bellis

Where would Yoshida in the list of the best centre halves, he played 135 games plus 19 as sub in 8 seasons, so was very rarely the actual first choice central defender .

I would say out of the above you would probably put Hoedt behind him and possibly Stephens, other than that none of the others.

Other than that he would not get in the side, even Vestergaard kept him out and for a while was ok

The fact that he played for Japan in the World Cup means nothing, its like saying that Onauchu wasn't good enough for us even though he played for Nigeria in the African cup of Nations, or that Caleta Car is better than most of them because he played for Croatia in the World cup.

Like most people I have my favourites and those that I am not keen on, but I can usually back it up with some stats and data etc.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Login to get fewer ads

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 12:17 - Apr 17 with 1854 viewskingslandstand1

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 09:34 - Apr 17 by MytchettSaint

It certainly seemed we were playing around with it at the back a lot less. Perhaps proof indeed that changing it up a bit might catch other teams out with different styles and patterns of play.

Can you tell RM that!
Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 13:33 - Apr 17 with 1766 viewssaintsfanbrock

Players have appearance fees in their contracts and fees for being on the team sheet. Ridiculous thing with McCarthy’s good contract even though we are paying him a lot to do nothing someone has probably done the maths of paying him to warm the sub seats costs more than Lumley doing the same. Given later posters comments about Lumley not being impressed perhaps nobody had told him that is why he’s getting the subspot and thought he was there on merit of being the second best keeper until last night!
Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 13:49 - Apr 17 with 1745 viewssaintmark1976

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 10:41 - Apr 17 by SaintNick

I was not a big fan of Yoshida that is no secret and I would point out that if you look at the central defenders we have had in the years before Yoshida and the years after,

Fonte
Hooiveld
Lovren
Alderweireld
Van Dijk
Bednarek
Hoedt
Stephens
Vestergaard
Salisu
Bella-Kotchap
Harwood-Bellis

Where would Yoshida in the list of the best centre halves, he played 135 games plus 19 as sub in 8 seasons, so was very rarely the actual first choice central defender .

I would say out of the above you would probably put Hoedt behind him and possibly Stephens, other than that none of the others.

Other than that he would not get in the side, even Vestergaard kept him out and for a while was ok

The fact that he played for Japan in the World Cup means nothing, its like saying that Onauchu wasn't good enough for us even though he played for Nigeria in the African cup of Nations, or that Caleta Car is better than most of them because he played for Croatia in the World cup.

Like most people I have my favourites and those that I am not keen on, but I can usually back it up with some stats and data etc.

“ The fact that he played for Japan in the World Cup means nothing”. That would be in the Japanese team that won their Group in 2022 by beating not only Germany but also Spain would it Nick ?
Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 13:56 - Apr 17 with 1739 viewsTimSaint

Goalkeeper's Union. They don't mind - they all want everyone to play / do well (allegedly).

I'm sure the £20k a week we pay Lumley will help him get over it

TimSaint

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 15:41 - Apr 17 with 1675 viewssledger

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 13:56 - Apr 17 by TimSaint

Goalkeeper's Union. They don't mind - they all want everyone to play / do well (allegedly).

why hasnt mcarthy been on the bench all season if he is second best,hope he doesnt get injured because then we are down to a seriously shat on number 3
Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 15:45 - Apr 17 with 1668 viewsPatfromPoole

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 13:56 - Apr 17 by TimSaint

£9k a week according to Capology 😉

Again, I think I would cope with that TBF….

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 18:20 - Apr 17 with 1607 views1teeminants

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 10:41 - Apr 17 by SaintNick

Fonte
Hooiveld
Lovren
Alderweireld
Van Dijk
Bednarek
Hoedt
Stephens
Vestergaard
Salisu
Bella-Kotchap
Harwood-Bellis

Yoshida was not only in that World Cup he was voted in the team of the tournament by fans. I remember saying this to you in a pub in soton once and you just laughed. I think you thought I was making it up lol 😂 He did play very well in that tournament Nick.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 19:26 - Apr 17 with 1554 viewsSFC_Referee

Yeah I don’t think many get how it all works, but once the team sheet is submitted, if any players get injured/unavailable to play, then that player can be replaced by another, but that player can’t be on the bench if the injured player was initially starting, or vice versa if the player was intentionally on the bench, then that player can’t start.
So that’s why McCarthy had to start and not Lumley as Lumley was on the bench so couldn’t replace Bazunu as he was already playing a part in the game, whilst McCarthy was not
[Post edited 17 Apr 19:27]

Poll: Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 21:09 - Apr 17 with 1475 viewsNYC_Saint

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 19:26 - Apr 17 by SFC_Referee

Yeah I don’t think many get how it all works, but once the team sheet is submitted, if any players get injured/unavailable to play, then that player can be replaced by another, but that player can’t be on the bench if the injured player was initially starting, or vice versa if the player was intentionally on the bench, then that player can’t start.
So that’s why McCarthy had to start and not Lumley as Lumley was on the bench so couldn’t replace Bazunu as he was already playing a part in the game, whilst McCarthy was not
[Post edited 17 Apr 19:27]

That doesn't make any sense. Effectively it says if a starting player falls ill/is injured after the team sheets are submitted, then only a player not deemed good enough by the manager to even make the bench HAS to start the game. That seems very counter intuitive unless it's to put off naming injured players in the starting 11 only to pull them at the last minute to disguise your starting team
Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 21:21 - Apr 17 with 1463 viewsPatfromPoole

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 21:09 - Apr 17 by NYC_Saint

That doesn't make any sense. Effectively it says if a starting player falls ill/is injured after the team sheets are submitted, then only a player not deemed good enough by the manager to even make the bench HAS to start the game. That seems very counter intuitive unless it's to put off naming injured players in the starting 11 only to pull them at the last minute to disguise your starting team

Agreed.

Seems very odd to me.

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 21:35 - Apr 17 with 1446 viewsSFC_Referee

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 21:09 - Apr 17 by NYC_Saint

Yes but that’s why under the LOTG and EFL rules, it’s then reported to the leagues, who investigate it, so that when it’s not genuine/happens too often, then punishments can be given.
But the reason why there can’t be changes is because they’re already making 1 change to the initial team sheet (which is 1 more than what you can usually make anyway) by bringing in a new player for an injured one, but then to also swap two players after bringing in a new one, is an extra change, which seeing how Lumley wasn’t injured or such, therefore didn’t have any reason/need (under the LOTG that is) to start this game.

As yeah it may seem strange, but then you could say that it’s just as strange as picking McCarthy to start (who as you guys have stated wasn’t even on the bench at first) over Lumley who’s been our recognised number 2 all season.

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 23:26 - Apr 17 with 1387 viewssledger

so by rule of thumb lumley will start against cardiff
Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 05:37 - Apr 18 with 1320 viewsButty101

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 21:35 - Apr 17 by SFC_Referee

Yes but that’s why under the LOTG and EFL rules, it’s then reported to the leagues, who investigate it, so that when it’s not genuine/happens too often, then punishments can be given.
But the reason why there can’t be changes is because they’re already making 1 change to the initial team sheet (which is 1 more than what you can usually make anyway) by bringing in a new player for an injured one, but then to also swap two players after bringing in a new one, is an extra change, which seeing how Lumley wasn’t injured or such, therefore didn’t have any reason/need (under the LOTG that is) to start this game.

As yeah it may seem strange, but then you could say that it’s just as strange as picking McCarthy to start (who as you guys have stated wasn’t even on the bench at first) over Lumley who’s been our recognised number 2 all season.

What you are saying is wrong. Either keeper could have played. Rule 8.11.2 explains this

https://www.thefa.com/~/media/Files/TheFAPortal/governance-docs/rules-of-the-ass

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 06:32 - Apr 18 with 1296 viewsPatfromPoole

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 21:35 - Apr 17 by SFC_Referee

If this were the case, why has Brighton Buddha not referred to it in his post-match interviews, rather than giving awkward fumbled responses about wanting to see how McCarthy would do if he gave him a chance?

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 08:31 - Apr 18 with 1233 viewsManhattan_Lynx

It is almost as though all referees are clueless.
Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 09:42 - Apr 18 with 1198 viewsSFC_Referee

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 05:37 - Apr 18 by Butty101

What you are saying is wrong. Either keeper could have played. Rule 8.11.2 explains this

https://www.thefa.com/~/media/Files/TheFAPortal/governance-docs/rules-of-the-ass

Yes that’s what I also read on the EFL website, but it still doesn’t specify whether a sub can come on and the someone else can replace that sub instead.
But anyway I’ve checked with an EFL official I know and tbf I was wrong on this one, as I was getting muddled up with what happens when a player gets sent off after the team sheets submitted but before KO. But yeah well I really do wonder now as to why Lumley didn’t start
[Post edited 18 Apr 10:09]

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 10:14 - Apr 18 with 1180 viewsSFC_Referee

Penny for the thoughts of Joe Lumley on 06:32 - Apr 18 by PatfromPoole

If this were the case, why has Brighton Buddha not referred to it in his post-match interviews, rather than giving awkward fumbled responses about wanting to see how McCarthy would do if he gave him a chance?

Well tbf it ain’t that rare that the pundits and journalists doing these interviews (and yeah even the refs sometimes) get there LOTG, as I’ve seen it many times before where they’ve inquired about things that were blatant under the LOTG, but their inquiries when interviewing them shows that they clearly don’t know them.

As arguably that West Brom away game was one as we had a fair few pundits criticising the ref for when he sent off the coach as I remember even RM got asked a bit about it in his interview afterwards as the one interviewing him clearly didn’t understand it that well

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024