Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR 18:04 - Jun 6 with 1846 viewsmushinexile

So we voted for it. A mistake in my view. I do not think it has improved football but MONEY did all the talking.
VAR on 18:31 - Jun 6 with 1421 viewsPatfromPoole

Were we involved in the vote?

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

VAR on 18:33 - Jun 6 with 1420 viewsPatfromPoole

I didn’t think we were officially a Prem club until their AGM.

Which I thought was later in the month (?)…

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

VAR on 20:24 - Jun 6 with 1374 viewsLondonSaint76

I notice that in the build up to the vote one of the scare tactics adopted by the PL in the briefing documentation was that if the clubs scrapped VAR there would be 100 more wrong decisions per season (made by refs, currently corrected by VAR) - of course, they totally failed to mention the plethora of wrong decisions made by VAR or the failure of VAR to intervene and make any decision on occasions when they could and should have done. I contend that those errors or inactions would probably come close to equalling the 100 wrong decisions the PL claim that VAR corrects. Very one sided briefing from the PL; not that they needed to have worried, vote went 19-1 in favour of retention with just Wolves voting to scrap it - it will be very interesting to see how many positive outcomes Wolves get from VAR reviews next season 😀⚽️😀

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

VAR on 21:22 - Jun 6 with 1339 viewsSFC_Referee

VAR on 18:31 - Jun 6 by PatfromPoole

Were we involved in the vote?

Yep, us Leicester and Ipswich's well as all of last seasons surviving teams. And from what I’ve heard the vote ended 19-1 in favour of keeping it.
19 guesses at who that one team was

Poll: Who’s everyone’s player of the season?

VAR on 21:27 - Jun 6 with 1333 viewsSFC_Referee

VAR on 20:24 - Jun 6 by LondonSaint76

I notice that in the build up to the vote one of the scare tactics adopted by the PL in the briefing documentation was that if the clubs scrapped VAR there would be 100 more wrong decisions per season (made by refs, currently corrected by VAR) - of course, they totally failed to mention the plethora of wrong decisions made by VAR or the failure of VAR to intervene and make any decision on occasions when they could and should have done. I contend that those errors or inactions would probably come close to equalling the 100 wrong decisions the PL claim that VAR corrects. Very one sided briefing from the PL; not that they needed to have worried, vote went 19-1 in favour of retention with just Wolves voting to scrap it - it will be very interesting to see how many positive outcomes Wolves get from VAR reviews next season 😀⚽️😀

But in all fairness to VAR, yes there’s many times it didn’t end to get involved and has come to he wrong conclusion etc… but it’s not been very rare that VAR got involved in what was originally the correct decision, to make it the incorrect one.
As the issues been rather getting involved when it didn’t need to/not coming to the right conclusions when used, but it still has improved the overall number of correct decisions to non correct decisions because it’s very rarely got involved in an already correct decision to make it an incorrect one, so that alone has been an improvement.

But still VAR’s hee for the long run and was never gonna be perfect within a few seasons and won’t be for a few more. But as each season goes they just need to make it better for both the players and the fans, and hopefully some of what they’re doing next season (so like showing the decisions to us on the screen and the officials announcing what they’ve given) should hopefully be a step in the right direction.

Poll: Who’s everyone’s player of the season?

VAR on 17:19 - Jun 7 with 1215 viewssledger

theres nothing wrong with the idea of var its the same useless referees that administer it thats the problem
VAR on 19:30 - Jun 7 with 1170 viewsTripleNiemi

VAR on 17:19 - Jun 7 by sledger

theres nothing wrong with the idea of var its the same useless referees that administer it thats the problem

VAR is shït. Even if they had ex-players behind the monitors it will hardly improve things as you only have to listen to half of them during and after games to see most cannot agree on half the decisions.

If only they put a 30 second time limit on decisions being made and anything beyond, the refs decision stands, but they won’t…..
[Post edited 7 Jun 19:32]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

VAR on 19:47 - Jun 7 with 1157 viewsBazza

VAR on 19:30 - Jun 7 by TripleNiemi

VAR is shït. Even if they had ex-players behind the monitors it will hardly improve things as you only have to listen to half of them during and after games to see most cannot agree on half the decisions.

If only they put a 30 second time limit on decisions being made and anything beyond, the refs decision stands, but they won’t…..
[Post edited 7 Jun 19:32]

Works in other sports so why is that! Poor quality refs , weak implementation, any constructive ideas on here?
Login to get fewer ads

VAR on 09:04 - Jun 8 with 1057 viewsSalisburySaint

VAR on 19:47 - Jun 7 by Bazza

Works in other sports so why is that! Poor quality refs , weak implementation, any constructive ideas on here?

Seem to have few issues with VAR in Europe, it’s the useless people interpreting VAR at Stockley Park that’s the problem
[Post edited 8 Jun 16:26]
VAR on 15:09 - Jun 8 with 987 viewsJellybaby

VAR sucks the joy out of football, seeing a goal scored is one of life's great joys , delaying the decision until a disputes Committee has made a decision based on shoe laces and tufts of hair detracts massively. Good try Wolves.

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

VAR on 15:56 - Jun 8 with 971 viewsBazza

VAR on 15:09 - Jun 8 by Jellybaby

VAR sucks the joy out of football, seeing a goal scored is one of life's great joys , delaying the decision until a disputes Committee has made a decision based on shoe laces and tufts of hair detracts massively. Good try Wolves.

So no ideas just a moan. Weird to blame a piece of IT equipment.
VAR on 17:09 - Jun 8 with 949 viewsJellybaby

VAR on 15:56 - Jun 8 by Bazza

So no ideas just a moan. Weird to blame a piece of IT equipment.

How can I make it any clearer? Don't use it, scrap it, end it, finito. It's destroying the beautiful game of the people. No one missed it last year, unless you did?

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

VAR on 22:09 - Jun 8 with 907 viewsBazza

VAR on 17:09 - Jun 8 by Jellybaby

How can I make it any clearer? Don't use it, scrap it, end it, finito. It's destroying the beautiful game of the people. No one missed it last year, unless you did?

You are clear but var is here to stay. Did you miss the announcement?
VAR on 04:05 - Jun 9 with 854 viewssaint22

VAR on 17:19 - Jun 7 by sledger

This
As long as we have var operated by the same incompetent refs then we have the same problems

Be interesting to see if there are as many issues in the euros
VAR on 13:19 - Jun 9 with 772 viewsMonksway

Scrap VAR and get back to the fundamental reason for the game's rules. Namely to stop a team gaining "unfair advantage". Being two centimetres offside doesn't gain the attacker an unfair advantage. A ball hitting a defenders hand doesnt automatically mean they have gained an advantage through the handball. VAR came about to protect referees from the endless retrospective technology used by the TV companies that now control elite football. When I watch non league games live, we accept it's a game played, watched and refereed by human beings in real time. Mistakes and differing opinions are part and parcel of the excitement.
VAR on 10:50 - Jun 10 with 680 viewsDorsetIan

Hey Jelly

Something we agree on.

Whatever benefits VAR is meant to bring (and in my opinion they are few), the enjoyment and spectacle of every single game that VAR is involved is ruined.

It's just not worth it.

It's a failed system. In any other industry it would have been 'grounded' years ago until the problems were fixed.

But football doesn't work like that. Too many contracts and vested interests, for the authorities to give a sh!t that it ruins games.

But, yes, well done Wolves for having a go.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

VAR on 15:24 - Jun 10 with 649 viewssaint901

I'd agree with this.

Football at the top level should be a game of skill played at a high pace and filled with excitement.

VAR may have reached "better" decisions but at what cost? VAR has manged to get some things spectacularly wrong, even after several minutes and 20 replays.

If you want to improve VAR do what rugby does and show the incident in the ground on the screens and mike up the refs so that we know what's going on. Don't hide them decision makers away, giving rein to conspiracy theories.

Better still, use it for League 2 games only until such time as it's working quickly and well.
VAR on 18:22 - Jun 10 with 627 viewsTripleNiemi

VAR on 22:09 - Jun 8 by Bazza

You are clear but var is here to stay. Did you miss the announcement?

Ok, we get it, you like VAR whereas some others don’t. Totally agree, it’s here to stay but it doesn’t mean everyone has to like it does it. It was one of the many joys of the Championship, but no doubt they will adopt it at some point.
[Post edited 10 Jun 18:24]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

VAR on 19:10 - Jun 10 with 614 viewsBazza

VAR on 18:22 - Jun 10 by TripleNiemi

Ok, we get it, you like VAR whereas some others don’t. Totally agree, it’s here to stay but it doesn’t mean everyone has to like it does it. It was one of the many joys of the Championship, but no doubt they will adopt it at some point.
[Post edited 10 Jun 18:24]

Actually I think the way VAR has been implemented is dreadful. It annoys me that people blame VAR not the implementation.
In the Premier before VAR there was undoubted bias by the referees. Hard for any referee to ignore 60,000 baying home fans. Typically smaller clubs like the Saints were often the victims. It is surely not too difficult to design a VAR implementation that is clear, precise, fast and minimises the human involvement. Alternatively let the fans see and hear the decision process, as in other sports.
VAR on 23:48 - Jun 10 with 576 viewssledger

VAR on 15:24 - Jun 10 by saint901

I'd agree with this.

Football at the top level should be a game of skill played at a high pace and filled with excitement.

VAR may have reached "better" decisions but at what cost? VAR has manged to get some things spectacularly wrong, even after several minutes and 20 replays.

If you want to improve VAR do what rugby does and show the incident in the ground on the screens and mike up the refs so that we know what's going on. Don't hide them decision makers away, giving rein to conspiracy theories.

Better still, use it for League 2 games only until such time as it's working quickly and well.

basically youre saying force it on league 2 teams as an experiment because they dont matter,wow.
VAR on 08:58 - Jun 11 with 532 viewssaint901

VAR on 23:48 - Jun 10 by sledger

basically youre saying force it on league 2 teams as an experiment because they dont matter,wow.

I'm saying that VAR has issues and that it should not be permitted in the elite leagues until those issues are resolved.

The best way to resolve the issues is in live game situations and League 2 is the lowest professional level and therefore a good place to begin.

Further the investment required to install VAR at L2 stadiums would be welcome as would the increased media coverage leading to increased demand and therefore income for the L2 club.

When we get changes in rules - increase in number of subs, offside, handball, etc they are usually trialled at a lower level than PL, so why did VAR go directly to the PL.

My view is that VAR is not enhancing the game or adding to the excitement, that hook that the game needs to keep attracting fans in the grounds and on TV. if it were above all quicker and limited in what it could do, that would be better and I'm saying do that at lower levels.
VAR on 13:06 - Jun 11 with 502 viewssledger

VAR on 08:58 - Jun 11 by saint901

I'm saying that VAR has issues and that it should not be permitted in the elite leagues until those issues are resolved.

The best way to resolve the issues is in live game situations and League 2 is the lowest professional level and therefore a good place to begin.

Further the investment required to install VAR at L2 stadiums would be welcome as would the increased media coverage leading to increased demand and therefore income for the L2 club.

When we get changes in rules - increase in number of subs, offside, handball, etc they are usually trialled at a lower level than PL, so why did VAR go directly to the PL.

My view is that VAR is not enhancing the game or adding to the excitement, that hook that the game needs to keep attracting fans in the grounds and on TV. if it were above all quicker and limited in what it could do, that would be better and I'm saying do that at lower levels.

i would suggest that nobody in the lower leagues would want this "investment",we didnt last year.Im not disagreeing with much of what youre saying but passing it down the food chain is not the answer.Var is just a tool its only as good as the people using it and thats where its falling down,substandard operaters.Inexperienced refs using var over experienced refs on the field is never going to work in my opinion for instance.I personally did not miss var one little bit last year,you take the decisions as they come good or bad,perhaps the way forward is to give teams two reviews for those really bad decisions.It was very noticeable how little var was involved in the play off final,all good in my opinion.
VAR on 14:14 - Jun 11 with 481 viewssaint901

I think we agree that VAR is not presently welcome in the PL by anybody except perhaps the publicists and marketing people and that it needs improvement.

I'm just averse to the experiment continuing in the full glare of the media spotlight on the PL.

I am convinced that some sort of citing process where a game is reviewed once it has finished to look for instances of players trying to con the ref and gain advantage by diving or otherwise cheating, or time wasting or challenges the ref missed is needed. I would give clubs a demerit point - perhaps a sliding scale - and when they reach a given threshold, remove league points from them.

In particular time wasting is a major frustration and we know that some clubs do this from the first whistle in some games. Take goal kicks for example. We allow say 25 seconds for a goal kick to be taken. If that is exceeded I would add the time on and if that time was more than say 3 minutes a match = 1 demerit point.
VAR on 17:09 - Jun 11 with 461 viewsUTS1885

It’s going to be down to fans to get rid of VAR as nobody will upset the broadcasting companies who run football, they want it.
VAR on 18:27 - Jun 11 with 445 viewssledger

VAR on 14:14 - Jun 11 by saint901

I think we agree that VAR is not presently welcome in the PL by anybody except perhaps the publicists and marketing people and that it needs improvement.

I'm just averse to the experiment continuing in the full glare of the media spotlight on the PL.

I am convinced that some sort of citing process where a game is reviewed once it has finished to look for instances of players trying to con the ref and gain advantage by diving or otherwise cheating, or time wasting or challenges the ref missed is needed. I would give clubs a demerit point - perhaps a sliding scale - and when they reach a given threshold, remove league points from them.

In particular time wasting is a major frustration and we know that some clubs do this from the first whistle in some games. Take goal kicks for example. We allow say 25 seconds for a goal kick to be taken. If that is exceeded I would add the time on and if that time was more than say 3 minutes a match = 1 demerit point.

time wasting is a major problem,its all quite easily sorted,firstly have a game clock which stops when the ball isnt in play,we all pay to see 90 minutes of football not 55 minutes with 35 minutes of fannying around.Injury stoppages just let the trainer on while the game goes ahead,good proportion of injuries are fake anyway,cheaters soon wont go down if theres no advantage only disadvantage to youre own side.There are so many things that could be done to improve the game but nobody has the will
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024