Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Valery 13:32 - Jan 26 with 1412 viewsSaintNick

Can he yet fulfil his potential.

It was only about 6 months ago we were all slagging off KWP and saying we should send him back to Spurs rather than extend his loan deal for the re start, Yan Valery started the first two games in June and things didnt look good

KWP turned things around here, can Yan Valery do the same, two years ago he looked a real talent, he has lost has way for a number of reasons, could tonight be a big chance for him

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Valery on 13:39 - Jan 26 with 1398 viewsdirk_doone

Wing-back is the most demanding position in modern football because in the past it would have required 2 players to do the job: a full-back and a winger. Walker-Peters is an exceptional player who has the pace, stamina and skill set to do it.

Valery is one of those players, like your old friend, Danny Fox, who is good at one half of the wing-back's role, attacking, but poor at the other half, defending

[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 13:44]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Valery on 13:45 - Jan 26 with 1378 viewsDorsetIan

I don't remember KWP ever being bad, so I'm not sure what he's 'turned around'.

Valery always looked a bit flakey defensively. The good parts of his play were going forward and scoring a couple of nice goals. Once it was clear how good KWP was, Valery was always going to be dropped.

We'll find out tonight how much progress he's made, and all the best to him.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Valery on 14:17 - Jan 26 with 1337 viewsSadoldgit

I don’t think that KWP was bad to start with but I do remember a number of posters wanting him out. He was dropped for a few games but when he came back he had clearly picked up the pace and the way Ralph wanted to play and must be one of the first names on the team sheet now.
Valery is a strange one and as you say, has flakey moments when defending. With Bedders behind him tonight instead of Jack that might give us a bit more stability, but he can’t afford to keep giving the ball away in deep areas. If he can sharpen up a little and cut out the silly mistakes he could be a decent player. Here’s hoping he takes his chance tonight.
Valery on 15:01 - Jan 26 with 1294 viewssaint22

Valery on 13:39 - Jan 26 by dirk_doone

Wing-back is the most demanding position in modern football because in the past it would have required 2 players to do the job: a full-back and a winger. Walker-Peters is an exceptional player who has the pace, stamina and skill set to do it.

Valery is one of those players, like your old friend, Danny Fox, who is good at one half of the wing-back's role, attacking, but poor at the other half, defending

[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 13:44]

is this us??

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55814273
Valery on 15:02 - Jan 26 with 1290 viewssaint22

I can't recall anyone dissing KWP
I do recall Valery looking like a world beater when he scored that belter at old trafford and had a run of great games and then he suddenly looked awful & never regained that form
hopefully he can turn up tonight, at least no Auba for them
Valery on 15:08 - Jan 26 with 1289 viewsSonicBoom

Not unless you think we are a "top European club" or that Frimpong would need to go abroad to sort the transfer out.....

Personally I worry for us tonight. Losing KWP or Bertrand would be bad enough but both could really upset us. Diallo has been great and I don't think it will be long before he is the first choice in front of Romeu. He seems to have more to his game and dare I say it, he could even add goals.
Defensively I worry but we are also struggling for goals. Unless Ings scores we don't threaten much. I'm a big fan of Adams but he's lost his scoring touch again. If we are to win I'd wager it's more likely to be 3-2 than 1-0.
Valery on 15:47 - Jan 26 with 1257 viewsSaintsforeverj

Valery looked good when he came on against Liverpool and very nearly scored. He has looked good in the past, so maybe he is back.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Valery on 15:52 - Jan 26 with 1251 viewsDorsetIan

Valery on 15:08 - Jan 26 by SonicBoom

Not unless you think we are a "top European club" or that Frimpong would need to go abroad to sort the transfer out.....

Personally I worry for us tonight. Losing KWP or Bertrand would be bad enough but both could really upset us. Diallo has been great and I don't think it will be long before he is the first choice in front of Romeu. He seems to have more to his game and dare I say it, he could even add goals.
Defensively I worry but we are also struggling for goals. Unless Ings scores we don't threaten much. I'm a big fan of Adams but he's lost his scoring touch again. If we are to win I'd wager it's more likely to be 3-2 than 1-0.

Diallo replacing Romeu?

No chance, and no thanks!

It's great that Diallo looks like a solid buy (makes a change) but he's not in Oriel's league just yet.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Login to get fewer ads

Valery on 16:18 - Jan 26 with 1236 viewsTimSaint

Valery on 15:47 - Jan 26 by Saintsforeverj

Valery looked good when he came on against Liverpool and very nearly scored. He has looked good in the past, so maybe he is back.

When he came on against Liverpool, it was in the RM slot, so safer for us from a defensive perspective and if only he had hit that a little harder past the keeper !!

His confidence was shot after his performance in 'THAT' game and his attitude that night (wasn't up for a game in the cold and wet) made RH almost make him (and perhaps Gunn) the scapegoat.

He had mixed reviews in the Shrews game, but to be honest, he seemed to be trying too hard to impress, taking everyone on etc, but always choosing the wrong final ball.

Anyway, tonight he is all we have, so gets his chance. Hopefully he will do well and gain confidence from it, because we made need him again on Saturday and next week, depending on how serious the injury is to KWP.

TimSaint

Valery on 16:56 - Jan 26 with 1202 viewsSaintsforeverj

Valery on 16:18 - Jan 26 by TimSaint

When he came on against Liverpool, it was in the RM slot, so safer for us from a defensive perspective and if only he had hit that a little harder past the keeper !!

His confidence was shot after his performance in 'THAT' game and his attitude that night (wasn't up for a game in the cold and wet) made RH almost make him (and perhaps Gunn) the scapegoat.

He had mixed reviews in the Shrews game, but to be honest, he seemed to be trying too hard to impress, taking everyone on etc, but always choosing the wrong final ball.

Anyway, tonight he is all we have, so gets his chance. Hopefully he will do well and gain confidence from it, because we made need him again on Saturday and next week, depending on how serious the injury is to KWP.

Thing is, he has proved that he can do it. He played in Ralph's first game 3 - 2 v Arsenal and also played in the excellent defensive display away at Chelsea in Ralph's first season. He is capable so I'm hopeful he can refind his form, especially as he looked decent enough against Shrewsbury and Liverpool. But we shall see!
[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 17:37]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Valery on 17:05 - Jan 26 with 1176 viewsdirk_doone

Valery on 15:01 - Jan 26 by saint22

is this us??

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55814273

No.

Valery on 17:22 - Jan 26 with 1159 viewsSadoldgit

Valery on 15:02 - Jan 26 by saint22

I do recall Valery looking like a world beater when he scored that belter at old trafford and had a run of great games and then he suddenly looked awful & never regained that form

He did take some early flak on another board ( which shall remain nameless but I’m sure you can guess which one 😉).
Valery on 17:42 - Jan 26 with 1128 viewsBicester_North

You “dissed” him Benny you chugger

Auba
[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 17:43]

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Valery on 19:44 - Jan 26 with 1064 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

This, on both counts.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Valery on 19:59 - Jan 26 with 1052 viewsBerber

I don't remember KWP getting much criticism, if any. He was welcomed as a breath of fresh air after Valery slipped so far off the pace.
Valery on 20:41 - Jan 26 with 1023 viewsTripleNiemi

Quote 'I can't recall anyone dissing KWP'....End quote.

No, me neither

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Valery on 21:18 - Jan 26 with 993 viewsdirk_doone

Valery on 20:41 - Jan 26 by TripleNiemi

Quote 'I can't recall anyone dissing KWP'....End quote.

No, me neither

We are certainly missing him tonight as well as Forster. This is a very depleted Arsenal side missing several of their best players. But we only seem to have one effective defender tonight, Bednarek.

We are passing the ball aroound too much in our own half but have players who aren't used to each other. We just need to play the long ball game tonight and we ccould get a draw and maybe even win it.

Valery on 09:42 - Jan 27 with 832 viewsRon11

Valery on 13:45 - Jan 26 by DorsetIan

I don't remember KWP ever being bad, so I'm not sure what he's 'turned around'.

Valery always looked a bit flakey defensively. The good parts of his play were going forward and scoring a couple of nice goals. Once it was clear how good KWP was, Valery was always going to be dropped.

We'll find out tonight how much progress he's made, and all the best to him.

I thought Kyle was a good player from the start, certainly would not have 'slagged' him at all.
Valery's got a lot of potential too, but I did hear his attitude needed some adjustments...
Valery on 12:11 - Jan 27 with 777 viewsTimSaint

Valery on 09:42 - Jan 27 by Ron11

I thought Kyle was a good player from the start, certainly would not have 'slagged' him at all.
Valery's got a lot of potential too, but I did hear his attitude needed some adjustments...

The only flack I seem to remember KWP getting was at the very start when we signed him on loan. I think he was either recovering from injury, or getting up to speed with Ralph's way of playing, so because he wasn't in the team from day 1, people were questioning why we bothered to loan him.
Obviously once he was up to speed, he has proven to be a very capable player and key to our tactics.

As for Valery, he thinks he is better than he is, often trying to take on more players than is necessary or he is capable of. I think there is a player in there, so if he can work on his decision making and final ball, he will come good, because he has the ability and engine. Perhaps he will even feature more often in the RM berth.

TimSaint

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024