Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Things I Noticed Yesterday 10:35 - Feb 6 with 2837 viewsSaintNick

1. Why were the fences put in place for covid still there, it made it harder to get in and out

2. Why do they not manage the queues for the turnstiles anymore, in the Kingsland there was one 50 yard queue for two turnstiles and then another four turnstiles with no queue whatsoever.

3. Why do the stewards in the Kingsland stand at each side of the stairs thus blocking part of the access both in and out

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 10:41 - Feb 6 with 1879 viewsdirk_doone

Those fences caused bottlenecks, especially for the thousands of people leaving after the game. My guess is they just couldn't be bothered to remove them in time. It's lucky there wasn't an accident.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 10:42 - Feb 6 with 1875 viewsSaintNick

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 10:41 - Feb 6 by dirk_doone

Those fences caused bottlenecks, especially for the thousands of people leaving after the game. My guess is they just couldn't be bothered to remove them in time. It's lucky there wasn't an accident.

They could easily have moved them during the game or at least some of them, i saw one where they hadn't even opened the gates fully

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 10:49 - Feb 6 with 1849 viewsMytchettSaint

Going into the itchen south/turnstile c the queues were being caused by peoples tickets not being read on the scanner (again). I got to the ground at 2:30 intending to get in and have a pint before heading up, by the time I got in it was about 2:50. The club allows money to slip away by not sorting out this issue.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 11:07 - Feb 6 with 1799 viewsDorsetIan

Gao out!

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 13:06 - Feb 6 with 1714 viewsSaintsforeverj

Outside of the Chapel yesterday from 2:15 onwards, it was utter bedlam. The queues going in to the ground were extending into the car park. There does seem to be much bigger queues going into the Chapel than anywhere else in the ground. Are the scanners not very good in that stand or is it dopy stewards? Massive queue at the shop. People were hemmed in between the Chapel turnstiles and the fences put up in front of the cars in the Chapel car park. Everyone had to go that way wherever they sat, because they again blocked off the Northam. There were stupid fences put in outside the Kingsland too, giving people less space! It is a bit dangerous to be honest.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2022 13:08]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 13:22 - Feb 6 with 1693 viewsNumber_58

In our stand the stewards just stand next to the gates doing little or nothing, other than searching old ladies' handbags. It really needed a few stewards to get out and organise the queues which were made worse by the unnecessary fencing. If, in the future, everyone will be using print at home tickets or scanning their phones then they definitely need more turnstiles.
Things I Noticed Yesterday on 15:54 - Feb 6 with 1568 viewscocklebreath

All the fencing does is half the space around the ground, what a stupid idea.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 16:43 - Feb 6 with 1500 viewskingslandstand1

It could also have been that there were quite a few "tourists", or at least not regular fans there not necessarily knowing what they were doing or where they were going. Quite a few kids there as well (not knocking that) so protective parents making sure they were safe - hence why the fencing - and also the fact that most were print at home tickets which must have slowed things down

And also, Brittania Road was shut so basically all Saints fans had to go in that direction

Still, lots of happy faces on the way out so no whinging and everyone just got on with it as well as tripping up over the Hera fencing feet
Login to get fewer ads

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 16:56 - Feb 6 with 1488 viewscocklebreath

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 16:43 - Feb 6 by kingslandstand1

It could also have been that there were quite a few "tourists", or at least not regular fans there not necessarily knowing what they were doing or where they were going. Quite a few kids there as well (not knocking that) so protective parents making sure they were safe - hence why the fencing - and also the fact that most were print at home tickets which must have slowed things down

And also, Brittania Road was shut so basically all Saints fans had to go in that direction

Still, lots of happy faces on the way out so no whinging and everyone just got on with it as well as tripping up over the Hera fencing feet

The fencing made it worse for parents with us having to squeeze through the crowd, really needs taking down

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 17:01 - Feb 6 with 1482 viewsSaintsforeverj

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 16:43 - Feb 6 by kingslandstand1

Ha, I know, I saw plenty of people tripping over the fencing too. People grazing their knees and hands looking confused as to why they had to make such sacrifices to get into the ground. But in all honesty, recently watched a documentary about Hillsborough, (I know there have been a million of them) and people were hemmed in by fences! So what do we do, hem all the fans in with fences to keep us safe ,😤
[Post edited 6 Feb 2022 17:02]

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 17:23 - Feb 6 with 1443 viewsgrumpy

Bearing in mind the Safety issues this thread has brought up, isn't it time fans representatives were asked about the general set up at St. Marys.
This moving the fans in the Northam so that away fans can take over the end is demoralizing.
Things I Noticed Yesterday on 10:39 - Feb 7 with 1258 viewskingslandstand1

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 16:56 - Feb 6 by cocklebreath

The fencing made it worse for parents with us having to squeeze through the crowd, really needs taking down

I was meaning it that way, but I see it didn't come across like that. As Nick said, it shouldn't even have been there!

I saw one couple in front of me coming out looking quite worried for their 2 boys, I'd guess 5 or 6 years old, being told to hold each others had so they didn't get separated - good reasoning - but younger didn't want to hence hissy fit! Brothers eh!
Things I Noticed Yesterday on 14:26 - Feb 7 with 1134 viewsSaintNick

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 17:23 - Feb 6 by grumpy

Bearing in mind the Safety issues this thread has brought up, isn't it time fans representatives were asked about the general set up at St. Marys.
This moving the fans in the Northam so that away fans can take over the end is demoralizing.

The moving of fans has been brought up countless times and logistically it isn't practical, for a number of reasons

there is an easy solution though, all those in the Northam migrate to the Chapel where it can be one big singing noisy end without the issues for cup ties of having to give up seats

Actually I dont think it is that demoralising, the fans in the Northam create the same atmosphere in the Kingsland and the Itchen North gets going.

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 14:36 - Feb 7 with 1126 viewsPaleRider

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 14:26 - Feb 7 by SaintNick

The moving of fans has been brought up countless times and logistically it isn't practical, for a number of reasons

there is an easy solution though, all those in the Northam migrate to the Chapel where it can be one big singing noisy end without the issues for cup ties of having to give up seats

Actually I dont think it is that demoralising, the fans in the Northam create the same atmosphere in the Kingsland and the Itchen North gets going.

Nick - I agree but it would require some organisation/communication. I suspect some younger fans would want to stay where they are - near the away fans - but it would make sense for some of the noisier but older fans! I believe that there would also be some more creativity with songs. As has been mentioned elsewhere, if the band got involved this would be great.

I would be happy to move but not if the experience is miserable. I think the catalyst could well be to have safe standing in the Chapel and a good way to ensure this may be to have a concerted effort from people across the different fora - maybe with a petition to the club? Now would be the time to strike with the new optimism that is in evidence at St Marys.
Things I Noticed Yesterday on 14:40 - Feb 7 with 1125 viewsdirk_doone

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 14:26 - Feb 7 by SaintNick

But, they are divided into two smaller groups and tucked away in corners, where the acoustics are worst, so they are easily outsung by a large away contingent behind the goal. It also means they have less influence on referees when it comes to decisions like free-kicks, penalties and red cards.

In the modern era is it really that important to gawk at the away fans and sing, "You're not singing any more" just to ensure they sing even more? Back in the day, it was done with a real threat of violence and intimidation but nowadays it's pretty pathetic.

In the 60s and 70s I used to be one of the people who started the singing behind the goal in the Milton Road end and we dreamed back then of having a large covered home end, like other teams. The first move to the side of the ground was simply because with a roof over our heads the acoustics were better and we could make more noise. That's why it's so frustrating that now we have a large covered home end in the Chapel, our singers don't use it.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 14:53]

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 15:16 - Feb 7 with 1070 viewsPaleRider

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 14:40 - Feb 7 by dirk_doone

But, they are divided into two smaller groups and tucked away in corners, where the acoustics are worst, so they are easily outsung by a large away contingent behind the goal. It also means they have less influence on referees when it comes to decisions like free-kicks, penalties and red cards.

In the modern era is it really that important to gawk at the away fans and sing, "You're not singing any more" just to ensure they sing even more? Back in the day, it was done with a real threat of violence and intimidation but nowadays it's pretty pathetic.

In the 60s and 70s I used to be one of the people who started the singing behind the goal in the Milton Road end and we dreamed back then of having a large covered home end, like other teams. The first move to the side of the ground was simply because with a roof over our heads the acoustics were better and we could make more noise. That's why it's so frustrating that now we have a large covered home end in the Chapel, our singers don't use it.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 14:53]

Dirk - I get your point but my impression, from my one visit to the Chapel End, is that you get told to sit down, not swear etc. This would need to change - as I said in a previous post it would probably require an organised effort.
Things I Noticed Yesterday on 15:29 - Feb 7 with 1055 viewsdirk_doone

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 15:16 - Feb 7 by PaleRider

Dirk - I get your point but my impression, from my one visit to the Chapel End, is that you get told to sit down, not swear etc. This would need to change - as I said in a previous post it would probably require an organised effort.

Yes, at Palace, the club moved some season ticket holders so they could put their ultras directly behind the goal.

At Leicester, where they have an identical stadium to ours, the club announced which end their home kop was going to be located in before the first season tickets went on sale and, of course, they made sure the away section was in a corner. With hindsight, Saints should have done the same. At other clubs, Leeds for example, they have moved the away section in recent years so away fans are no longer in the prime location behind the goal. As for security, at most London grounds, home and away fans enter and exit through the same areas and I don't think our fans are any more of a threat than theirs.

The police seem to have too much of an influence on decisions made at Southampton and sometimes they are counterproductive. Leaving a whole block empty for the Coventry game was like a red rag to a bull and just encouraged their fans to run into it. The usual tarpaulin used to segregate fans on the Kingsland side was far more effective.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 15:30]

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 15:34 - Feb 7 with 1038 viewsgrumpy

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 15:29 - Feb 7 by dirk_doone

Yes, at Palace, the club moved some season ticket holders so they could put their ultras directly behind the goal.

At Leicester, where they have an identical stadium to ours, the club announced which end their home kop was going to be located in before the first season tickets went on sale and, of course, they made sure the away section was in a corner. With hindsight, Saints should have done the same. At other clubs, Leeds for example, they have moved the away section in recent years so away fans are no longer in the prime location behind the goal. As for security, at most London grounds, home and away fans enter and exit through the same areas and I don't think our fans are any more of a threat than theirs.

The police seem to have too much of an influence on decisions made at Southampton and sometimes they are counterproductive. Leaving a whole block empty for the Coventry game was like a red rag to a bull and just encouraged their fans to run into it. The usual tarpaulin used to segregate fans on the Kingsland side was far more effective.

I remember when Saints fans relocated to the Archers Road End at the Dell and that worked out well.

The way St.Marys is at the moment when there is a big game we hand over a huge advantage to away fans, just doesn't make sense.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 15:36]
Things I Noticed Yesterday on 16:07 - Feb 7 with 1001 viewsfranniesTache

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 15:29 - Feb 7 by dirk_doone

I'm pretty sure - though it might be the memory failing with age - that the club did actually put out that the Chapel would be the main home end with the hope of fans moving there en masse.

What happened instead was the Archers went to the Northam and Under The East to the Itchen North.

To be honest though in all my time watching Saints - since the early 80s - our support has always moved about.

First we had the milton as the "singing end" but with the archers as the "lads" end (and some of the lower west too).

Then you had under the east and the milton was very much the kids end, with the "lads" still in the Archers.

When the away fans moved to the Archers under the east expanded a bit and then obviously it all switched again when the milton became seated and we got the Archers as the main home end.

St Mary's is actually pretty weird in how the singing groups haven't really moved around much, when the club announced the real cheap season tickets in the Chapel/Itchen i wondered if we'd get a new singing section there but weirdly it doesn't seem to have happened.

If i'm honest i actually think the only way you'd get a whole end would be the suggestion here of making the chapel safe standing, but my god would you get moaning from the folk in there.
Things I Noticed Yesterday on 16:49 - Feb 7 with 956 viewsdirk_doone

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 16:07 - Feb 7 by franniesTache

I'm pretty sure - though it might be the memory failing with age - that the club did actually put out that the Chapel would be the main home end with the hope of fans moving there en masse.

What happened instead was the Archers went to the Northam and Under The East to the Itchen North.

To be honest though in all my time watching Saints - since the early 80s - our support has always moved about.

First we had the milton as the "singing end" but with the archers as the "lads" end (and some of the lower west too).

Then you had under the east and the milton was very much the kids end, with the "lads" still in the Archers.

When the away fans moved to the Archers under the east expanded a bit and then obviously it all switched again when the milton became seated and we got the Archers as the main home end.

St Mary's is actually pretty weird in how the singing groups haven't really moved around much, when the club announced the real cheap season tickets in the Chapel/Itchen i wondered if we'd get a new singing section there but weirdly it doesn't seem to have happened.

If i'm honest i actually think the only way you'd get a whole end would be the suggestion here of making the chapel safe standing, but my god would you get moaning from the folk in there.

When you look at the ticket website, the Chapel is the area with the fewest season ticket holders and always the last to sell out. Mostly it's just occasional fans in there. There is plenty of room.

The idea that singing is frowned upon there is ridiculous. The area behind the goal has always been the place for younger singers to congregate. There has even been a bit of singing in there recently, especially after we scored our first goal v Coventry. Two hundred fans moving there from either of the corners of the Northam end would be enough for it to really take off v West Ham.

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 16:54 - Feb 7 with 944 viewssaint68

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 16:07 - Feb 7 by franniesTache

I've always thought that locating the away supporters in the Kingsland centre and 2/3 of the Kingsland North would be the best option..negates the policing argument and frees up the entire Northam for a full section of vocal support..it would cost nothing and enhance the home support in one large bank
[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 17:00]

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 17:12 - Feb 7 with 931 viewsSaintsforeverj

The singing fans want to be next to the away fans for the banter and handbags. The cautious, more shy fans not wanting to stand etc want to be away from the away fans. Hence, all the singers congregating in the Northam or as close as possible to the Northam.

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 17:25 - Feb 7 with 913 viewsfranniesTache

Things I Noticed Yesterday on 16:49 - Feb 7 by dirk_doone

When you look at the ticket website, the Chapel is the area with the fewest season ticket holders and always the last to sell out. Mostly it's just occasional fans in there. There is plenty of room.

The idea that singing is frowned upon there is ridiculous. The area behind the goal has always been the place for younger singers to congregate. There has even been a bit of singing in there recently, especially after we scored our first goal v Coventry. Two hundred fans moving there from either of the corners of the Northam end would be enough for it to really take off v West Ham.

Yeah i'm sure you're right it wouldn't take many to get it going, in fact i'm not even convinced it would take a couple of hundred, we got the Itchen North going again with less than a dozen of us.

I think the issue is more giving people a reason to move, and one of the big attractions for the more vocal support is the ability to stand, which isn't done in the chapel (and fair enough plenty don't want to).

But if you made the back 10 rows of the chapel safe standing you'd probably see a lot more move over there.

Anyway it's by the by really, because many of ours like the pantomime waving their hands at away fans behind the safety of the stewards
Things I Noticed Yesterday on 17:41 - Feb 7 with 898 viewsgrumpy

I think its crazy how we surrender a home end when there is a big game.

I love to see some sort of representation from the fans to sort out a home end, and I think if possible a safe standing area at the Chapel End if no other way is found.
Things I Noticed Yesterday on 17:52 - Feb 7 with 883 viewsPoirot

I dont think it was a good idea to give coventry more tickets than needed as they took over block 40 ? which is where more vocal fans would have been. Im trying to think back to games in the past and i dont recall the same seat arrangements. There was deffo no big gaps in the northam itchen corner. Maybe in the past there were less STs in the kingsland / northam corner, so it was easy to side move across. I stood less than three metres away from pompey fans in 2003.

I dont see why some fans talk about moving away area because the current location works perfectly for crowd safety and licencing. Saturday showed with such high numbers that britannia road can be closed and thats pretty unique for football grounds to have that safety layout. You would still have the problem of moving large amounts of season ticket holders for cup games. A poor atmoshpere can be generated by whats happening on the pitch and no amount of moving fans will change that. I
[Post edited 8 Feb 2022 16:27]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024