Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Winning mentality 08:21 - Apr 10 with 1330 viewsPatfromPoole

Pardew used to talk a lot about this, one of the many sensible things he said.

I don’t think we have had this as a club since Koeman.

It’s hard to define how you get it as a club. But it’s that feeling when you walk to the ground that your team is going to win a game of football.

I haven’t had this for years; I wasn’t even confident walking to the ground before the Grimsby game.

But I think it’s all about the manager.

It will be a really key appointment in the summer; it will determine whether we end up doing a Burnley or a Stoke.

The key concern is just how badly Ankersen has done on this over the last 6 months.

If I was Solak, I would be pushing Ankersen, Semmens and Steele out of the door pronto.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Winning mentality on 08:45 - Apr 10 with 1278 viewssaint22

Good points
the next manager has to be someone with the ability, Potter yes, Marsch not so sure, unknown from abroad really not sure
Winning mentality on 09:29 - Apr 10 with 1215 viewsfelly1

A couple of goalscorers and a couple of creators and the rest should fall into place.
I personally feel the defence generally sorts itself if they've got guys in front of them who can do the business
A decent manager who plays sensible formations and understands how to get the best out of the players is dead important too..Ralph had his periods of success but lacked the personal at times and then he just gave up in my opinion.
Potter would be a good fit.
But we need to get player recruitment sorted out and stop just going for unproven kids.
Winning mentality on 09:54 - Apr 10 with 1194 viewsDorsetIan

You only have to look at the appointments of Emery and Hodgson to understand what a difference appointing a quality manager can have.

Or you can look at the appointment of Jones.

Gao took this club to the edge of the abyss. The decisions about managers since he left have pushed us over the edge.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Winning mentality on 10:37 - Apr 10 with 1144 viewsdirk_doone

My abiding memory of Pardew is of him disappearing fast down the tunnel to escape the abuse from the Geordie fans after his Newcastle team lost 4-0 at St Mary's. I just looked up what happened to him: he's just been sacked by Aris Thessaloniki.

[Post edited 10 Apr 2023 10:45]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Winning mentality on 11:04 - Apr 10 with 1098 viewsIfonly

To me the winning mentality comes when the players believe in what they're doing. That's what it was when I was playing (at amateur level but it's the same thing). If you go 1-0 down you just think "we're not having that, we'll get going now".

Whatever the winning mentality is, our players don't have it. Look at recent games and when they go 1-0 down you can see they think it's a lost cause. Whatever belief they have in what they're doing is paper thin.

Players want to believe in the manager so you often get a new manager bounce just because he gives them something new to believe in. Whatever bounce we got from Selles seems to be long gone. I know if I was in that dressing room I'd be thinking: look this approach didn't work under Ralph so why should it work under mini-me?

Selles seems to believe his grand plan is working in stages so maybe we will see an evolution of the style in the coming weeks and we might try to score some goals. But even if that happens I think it will be too late. I think we'll need a new manager with new ideas in the summer.
Winning mentality on 11:20 - Apr 10 with 1086 viewsJellybaby

Winning mentality on 09:54 - Apr 10 by DorsetIan

You only have to look at the appointments of Emery and Hodgson to understand what a difference appointing a quality manager can have.

Or you can look at the appointment of Jones.

Gao took this club to the edge of the abyss. The decisions about managers since he left have pushed us over the edge.

Or even a manager with experience, Selles may prove to be amazing at some point in his career, but to expect him to sort out this current shambles was asking too much. Palace have done exactly what was required, where as we have made mistake upon mistake

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

Winning mentality on 11:27 - Apr 10 with 1079 viewsRon11

Winning mentality on 08:45 - Apr 10 by saint22

Good points
the next manager has to be someone with the ability, Potter yes, Marsch not so sure, unknown from abroad really not sure

Marsch is another fraud who should be nowhere near this club, we've had enough of them.
Winning mentality on 11:42 - Apr 10 with 1063 viewsdirk_doone

Winning mentality on 11:27 - Apr 10 by Ron11

Marsch is another fraud who should be nowhere near this club, we've had enough of them.

The man who would inspire us next season, like Kompany has Burnley, is Jose Fonte. He would really lift morale both on and off the pitch and he has a winning mentality, having won the European Championship with Portugal and a league title with Lille.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2023 11:43]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Winning mentality on 11:44 - Apr 10 with 1052 viewsPatfromPoole

Winning mentality on 10:37 - Apr 10 by dirk_doone

My abiding memory of Pardew is of him disappearing fast down the tunnel to escape the abuse from the Geordie fans after his Newcastle team lost 4-0 at St Mary's. I just looked up what happened to him: he's just been sacked by Aris Thessaloniki.

[Post edited 10 Apr 2023 10:45]

That may be so.

But he signed some of the best players I have ever seen play at this club.

I liked him a lot. He gave a straight answer to a straight question.

Which is another reason I like Dyche.

Winning mentality on 12:02 - Apr 10 with 1031 viewsTripleNiemi

Ahhhh, the days of Koeman and going to places like OT, Stamford Bridge etc and seriously thinking we could come away with some of the spoils - fun times. Still, fun times are around the corner as we look to getting back to some proper stadiums with real fans…..

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Winning mentality on 12:26 - Apr 10 with 1014 viewsSouthamptonfan

I agree the appointment of the right manager is massive. But that manager has to be supported by the owners and board to build his OWN team, not told any new player must be
- 18 - 25 years old
- Less than 20 million
- Must have a sell on value, so no older 25's.
- Must be a nice guy with a lovely personality

We will need some proper physical players for the championship, not a load of small looking young players who are good at keepy uppies, with potential in five years time. Getting in a manager like Dyche? Would love him here, but he won't put up with all that theoretical boll0x. He would walk out of the interview, the moment it's all mentioned "Southampton way", "potential" and Ankerson does the recruitment, when he just wants Mee at the back and Ings up front.

For me, the problem is higher up than the manager. They make the ultimate decisions including the manager, they set that f@xking horrible word "philosophy" and they need to just let the manager get on with the job and get rid of all of these stringent rules as stated above. We spent a load of money on a load of players fitting the criteria above and they are all not good enough. That's the rules set by the owners and board, not the manager. It won't matter who is manager, if he is told he must buy a 19 year old striker from Mongolia with potential next year, ready to sell in five years time.

How is it ever the manager's fault if Ankerson did the recruitment and told the manager here are your players for the future, get on with it?? Let the manager build his OWN team, then we can properly judge. It's why every manager fails because the players don't gel, they arn't chosen by the manager and they arn't good enough.

The players can't have a winning mentality, when they know nobody can score. We don't have a striker. They had Haaland, we had Walcott. Need I say anymore. It's more a realistic mentality. They know Haaland is much better than Walcott. Simple as that.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2023 12:39]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Winning mentality on 15:47 - Apr 10 with 933 viewsRon11

Winning mentality on 12:26 - Apr 10 by Southamptonfan

I agree the appointment of the right manager is massive. But that manager has to be supported by the owners and board to build his OWN team, not told any new player must be
- 18 - 25 years old
- Less than 20 million
- Must have a sell on value, so no older 25's.
- Must be a nice guy with a lovely personality

We will need some proper physical players for the championship, not a load of small looking young players who are good at keepy uppies, with potential in five years time. Getting in a manager like Dyche? Would love him here, but he won't put up with all that theoretical boll0x. He would walk out of the interview, the moment it's all mentioned "Southampton way", "potential" and Ankerson does the recruitment, when he just wants Mee at the back and Ings up front.

For me, the problem is higher up than the manager. They make the ultimate decisions including the manager, they set that f@xking horrible word "philosophy" and they need to just let the manager get on with the job and get rid of all of these stringent rules as stated above. We spent a load of money on a load of players fitting the criteria above and they are all not good enough. That's the rules set by the owners and board, not the manager. It won't matter who is manager, if he is told he must buy a 19 year old striker from Mongolia with potential next year, ready to sell in five years time.

How is it ever the manager's fault if Ankerson did the recruitment and told the manager here are your players for the future, get on with it?? Let the manager build his OWN team, then we can properly judge. It's why every manager fails because the players don't gel, they arn't chosen by the manager and they arn't good enough.

The players can't have a winning mentality, when they know nobody can score. We don't have a striker. They had Haaland, we had Walcott. Need I say anymore. It's more a realistic mentality. They know Haaland is much better than Walcott. Simple as that.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2023 12:39]

They had Haaland. We had Onuachu. On the bench.
Winning mentality on 15:57 - Apr 10 with 926 viewsRon11

Winning mentality on 11:44 - Apr 10 by PatfromPoole

That may be so.

But he signed some of the best players I have ever seen play at this club.

I liked him a lot. He gave a straight answer to a straight question.

Which is another reason I like Dyche.

Didn't Pardew come to blows on the touchline with Wenger, with all the world reading his lips as he called him a 'fu ckin old bastard'?
Love it.
Winning mentality on 18:08 - Apr 10 with 876 viewsBridders2

Winning mentality on 11:42 - Apr 10 by dirk_doone

The man who would inspire us next season, like Kompany has Burnley, is Jose Fonte. He would really lift morale both on and off the pitch and he has a winning mentality, having won the European Championship with Portugal and a league title with Lille.

He'd sort out the defence that's for sure.
Winning mentality on 19:41 - Apr 10 with 827 viewsPatfromPoole

Winning mentality on 11:42 - Apr 10 by dirk_doone

I have thought for some time that we should get Fonte in the summer.

Would be an appointment to genuinely excite the fanbase.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024