Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Local derbies 23:31 - Oct 18 with 4061 viewsSadoldgit

Just watched MOTD. During the Crystal Palace v Brighton match the commentator said several times that it was a local derby. The clubs are about 50 miles apart. There is clearly a big rivalry between the two clubs but how on Earth is it a local Derby when one club is in south London and the other is on the South Coast?
Local derbies on 00:34 - Oct 19 with 3001 viewsRon11

Was it on Sky?
Local derbies on 07:41 - Oct 19 with 2914 viewsTripleNiemi

It's probably because they apply the same rules / logic as 130 (i.e. anyone born south of Newcastle qualifies as a Pompey born player).
[Post edited 19 Oct 2020 7:42]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Local derbies on 09:21 - Oct 19 with 2823 viewsSadoldgit

Local derbies on 00:34 - Oct 19 by Ron11

Was it on Sky?

It was the guy commentating on MOTD. He said it several times. Bizarre. The clubs hate each other going back to a falling out in the Venables/Mullery period but that is something completely different. We don’t even consider the Bournemouth game a derby.
Local derbies on 11:16 - Oct 19 with 2775 viewsChesham_Saint

Local derbies on 09:21 - Oct 19 by Sadoldgit

It was the guy commentating on MOTD. He said it several times. Bizarre. The clubs hate each other going back to a falling out in the Venables/Mullery period but that is something completely different. We don’t even consider the Bournemouth game a derby.

This derby is a bit contrived I think. Partly because Palace are not hard enough to cope with Millwall and Brighton similarly with the skates.

In any event, it’s more of a grudge match than a derby (because of the Mullery misadventures) a little bit like Leeds with Man U - miles apart but the dislike is there.

At least it’s based on a real grievance between the clubs - unlike the Portsdown HIllbillies bollox about Southampton breaking strikes and stealing their jobs, FFS.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Local derbies on 13:04 - Oct 19 with 2728 viewsdwayne_dibley

Local derbies on 11:16 - Oct 19 by Chesham_Saint

This derby is a bit contrived I think. Partly because Palace are not hard enough to cope with Millwall and Brighton similarly with the skates.

In any event, it’s more of a grudge match than a derby (because of the Mullery misadventures) a little bit like Leeds with Man U - miles apart but the dislike is there.

At least it’s based on a real grievance between the clubs - unlike the Portsdown HIllbillies bollox about Southampton breaking strikes and stealing their jobs, FFS.

Agreed.

Most unlikely that Southampton dockies would actually get of their fat bottoms and do real work

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Local derbies on 21:48 - Oct 19 with 2594 viewsSaintNick

Local derbies on 11:16 - Oct 19 by Chesham_Saint

it is contrived, Brighton had no real local rivals as Pompey along the coast had us and there was no one else the other direction, the nearest team was up the A23 and Palace who themselves were lacking true rivals, Millwall had Charlton and also West Ham so weren't interested, Chelsea certainly weren't so they gratefully accepted the invitation.

Both sides changed their nicknames to bird related names so they could also argue on other levels about the merits of Seagulls and Eagles

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Local derbies on 23:28 - Oct 19 with 2552 viewsRon11

Local derbies on 21:48 - Oct 19 by SaintNick

it is contrived, Brighton had no real local rivals as Pompey along the coast had us and there was no one else the other direction, the nearest team was up the A23 and Palace who themselves were lacking true rivals, Millwall had Charlton and also West Ham so weren't interested, Chelsea certainly weren't so they gratefully accepted the invitation.

Both sides changed their nicknames to bird related names so they could also argue on other levels about the merits of Seagulls and Eagles

One of Millwall's biggest rivalries has always been against Gillingham.
And Brighton also had a ground share at Priestfield Stadium (Gills) when they left their old place.
Local derbies on 08:23 - Oct 20 with 2475 viewsSaintNick

Local derbies on 23:28 - Oct 19 by Ron11

And Brighton also had a ground share at Priestfield Stadium (Gills) when they left their old place.

Gillingham is an awful place to get to from Brighton, by road it's not too far, about 75 miles and 1hr 15 -30 mins, but by train you have to go to Victoria and change and takes a couple of hours .

So Brighton never really had any rivalry with Gillingham, I wouldn't say Millwall had much, other than it was a quick and easy day out

Login to get fewer ads

Local derbies on 08:56 - Oct 20 with 2460 viewsRon11

Local derbies on 08:23 - Oct 20 by SaintNick

Gillingham is an awful place to get to from Brighton, by road it's not too far, about 75 miles and 1hr 15 -30 mins, but by train you have to go to Victoria and change and takes a couple of hours .

So Brighton never really had any rivalry with Gillingham, I wouldn't say Millwall had much, other than it was a quick and easy day out

Millwall home and away were always regarded as the 'local' derby with all the trimmings. About 30 minutes on the train. When they were in the same division of course...it had by necessity the same level of policing as the Saints - Pompey derbies used to have.
Agreed Brighton never had any rivalry with the Gills but the fixture was always well supported by wannabe Brighton hard men whenever in the same division.They used to carry sticks of Brighton rock to use as weapons. In pink, of course.
Local derbies on 09:18 - Oct 20 with 2456 viewsSaintNick

Local derbies on 08:56 - Oct 20 by Ron11

Millwall home and away were always regarded as the 'local' derby with all the trimmings. About 30 minutes on the train. When they were in the same division of course...it had by necessity the same level of policing as the Saints - Pompey derbies used to have.
Agreed Brighton never had any rivalry with the Gills but the fixture was always well supported by wannabe Brighton hard men whenever in the same division.They used to carry sticks of Brighton rock to use as weapons. In pink, of course.

I saw one of those documentaries about football fans a few years ago and it showed a load of Millwall fans (not hooligans) going to Gillingham, they didnt seem to have that many police around, they went on the ordinary train, went to a few local pubs before and after and had a good day out without any trouble

Local derbies on 09:52 - Oct 20 with 2439 viewsChesham_Saint

Local derbies on 09:18 - Oct 20 by SaintNick

I saw one of those documentaries about football fans a few years ago and it showed a load of Millwall fans (not hooligans) going to Gillingham, they didnt seem to have that many police around, they went on the ordinary train, went to a few local pubs before and after and had a good day out without any trouble

Reminds me of the Hotel in Dublin that refused a mass booking by Millwall fans before a match (I assume a pre season friendly). They didn’t want any trouble and refused point blank to accommodate them.

A day later they happily accepted the hotel being almost fully booked by the South East London Philately Society. Guess who they were? Apparently there was no trouble at all and the landlady was quoted as saying what a nice bunch they were (to be sure, to be sure).

True story as it was reported in the Telegraph...

Local derbies on 11:19 - Oct 20 with 2419 viewsdirk_doone

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Local derbies on 16:39 - Oct 20 with 2359 viewsRon11

Local derbies on 09:18 - Oct 20 by SaintNick

They liked to cause trouble inside the ground, even to the point of getting in amongst the home supporters and verbally abusing players, especially black ones. It was hard work going to their ground, with attempts at intimidation all the way, and even worse if they lost.
A post from the 'Red Cafe" a while ago -'the worst fans I've ever encountered has to be the Millwall lot, they had a massive rivalry with Gillingham. They're the scum of the feckin earth, everybody hates them, even Liverpool fans occasionally sing 'we feckin hate Millwall' - the reason for that being while Liverpool were booting them out of the FA cup, they were singing 'I'd rather be a P**I than a Scouse'.
I was in Cardiff during the 1999 - 2000 football season when the Millwall lot turned up for the game with Cardiff FC. The city centre was carnage after an hour as they got off the train hammered. Calling them animals is an insult to animals!
Local derbies on 17:03 - Oct 20 with 2346 viewsChesham_Saint

Local derbies on 16:39 - Oct 20 by Ron11

They liked to cause trouble inside the ground, even to the point of getting in amongst the home supporters and verbally abusing players, especially black ones. It was hard work going to their ground, with attempts at intimidation all the way, and even worse if they lost.
A post from the 'Red Cafe" a while ago -'the worst fans I've ever encountered has to be the Millwall lot, they had a massive rivalry with Gillingham. They're the scum of the feckin earth, everybody hates them, even Liverpool fans occasionally sing 'we feckin hate Millwall' - the reason for that being while Liverpool were booting them out of the FA cup, they were singing 'I'd rather be a P**I than a Scouse'.
I was in Cardiff during the 1999 - 2000 football season when the Millwall lot turned up for the game with Cardiff FC. The city centre was carnage after an hour as they got off the train hammered. Calling them animals is an insult to animals!

That “I’d rather be a PXXX than a Scouse” ditty was quite widely used back in the day. Including at the Dell in the league cup two leg semi final against Liverpool. One of the rare occasions when Saints fans used racist abuse (I think) and even then it wasn’t aimed at Pakistanis specifically (although of course massively insulting) but really as something to wind the Scallies up.

Another Liverpool belter was singing “On the dole, on the dole” and of course the all time classic. “sign on, sign on” to that Gerry and the Pacemakers dirge they sing aka YNWA...

Local derbies on 09:02 - Oct 21 with 2249 viewsRon11

Local derbies on 17:03 - Oct 20 by Chesham_Saint

That “I’d rather be a PXXX than a Scouse” ditty was quite widely used back in the day. Including at the Dell in the league cup two leg semi final against Liverpool. One of the rare occasions when Saints fans used racist abuse (I think) and even then it wasn’t aimed at Pakistanis specifically (although of course massively insulting) but really as something to wind the Scallies up.

Another Liverpool belter was singing “On the dole, on the dole” and of course the all time classic. “sign on, sign on” to that Gerry and the Pacemakers dirge they sing aka YNWA...

I was on a GWR train travelling from Paddington to Reading on a Saturday a few years back. There were at least a hundred Millwall molluscs on it, going to Reading for a match. Most of them hadn't reached high level alarm with the alcohol by then and were actually quite friendly, with a couple of them asking me if I was going to the game, who did I support, etc.
When I mentioned Gillingham, you could have heard a pin drop.
Local derbies on 19:03 - Oct 21 with 2192 viewshedgeend61

Local derbies on 23:28 - Oct 19 by Ron11

Millwall/West Ham is a proper rivalry like Saints/Pompey, Cardiff/Swansea.

Gillingham/Millwall may be a big game for the Gills, but like Saints fans don't see Bournemouth as a Derby, wouldn't think Gills would even be on Millwall's radar.
I spoke to a Milwall fan who's never even heard of a rivalry with them.

https://fansonline.net/gillingham/mb/view.php?id=126275

Apparently Gills biggest rivalry is with Swindon, 128 miles away
No one really seems to care about them, like Bournemouth.
Local derbies on 13:19 - Oct 22 with 2087 viewsdirk_doone

Local derbies on 19:03 - Oct 21 by hedgeend61

Millwall/West Ham is a proper rivalry like Saints/Pompey, Cardiff/Swansea.

Gillingham/Millwall may be a big game for the Gills, but like Saints fans don't see Bournemouth as a Derby, wouldn't think Gills would even be on Millwall's radar.
I spoke to a Milwall fan who's never even heard of a rivalry with them.

https://fansonline.net/gillingham/mb/view.php?id=126275

Apparently Gills biggest rivalry is with Swindon, 128 miles away
No one really seems to care about them, like Bournemouth.

Coventry City have knocked on doors but have yet to find a team who'll take them seriously as their main local rival:

"Aston Villa and Leicester City are considered the club's biggest traditional rivals. A lesser rivalry also exists with landlords Birmingham City. In the 1960s and 1970s Wolverhampton Wanderers, West Bromwich Albion and Northampton Town were considered the biggest local rivalries." Who will they try next?

Local derbies on 16:21 - Oct 22 with 2039 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Local derbies on 21:48 - Oct 19 by SaintNick

Up to the mid sixties, our natural rivals were Chelsea, and had been for a couple of generations, then we became a bit crap.

A team down the road tried to become our rivals, but they had no history. They
eventually won a cup, and then had a nice little run in the top league, but unfortunately didn’t win any more silver.

Pompey reinforced this contrived rivalry by winning another cup themselves, but at that stage Soton were a third tier club. Obviously the roles are now reversed, so again, there is no real rivalry between the clubs.

When Soton play Bournemouth, there is obviously some passion and feeling as you have the 2nd and 4th best south coast teams in terms of league championships. For reference, Bournemouth are the 2nd most successful league team.

Brighton’s rivalry with Palace isn’t totally contrived, as Palace are their nearest club, and Crawley are a bit on the small side.

What may happen over the next few years is that Brighton consolidate their position as the south’s most consistent club, your club could get relegated and get a real rivalry going with Bournemouth. That will of course leave us to get promotion to the top league and get a good rivalry going with Brighton, and this might get called the south coast cultural derby.

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Local derbies on 16:36 - Oct 22 with 2035 viewsBison

Local derbies on 16:21 - Oct 22 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Up to the mid sixties, our natural rivals were Chelsea, and had been for a couple of generations, then we became a bit crap.

eventually won a cup, and then had a nice little run in the top league, but unfortunately didn’t win any more silver.

Pompey reinforced this contrived rivalry by winning another cup themselves, but at that stage Soton were a third tier club. Obviously the roles are now reversed, so again, there is no real rivalry between the clubs.

When Soton play Bournemouth, there is obviously some passion and feeling as you have the 2nd and 4th best south coast teams in terms of league championships. For reference, Bournemouth are the 2nd most successful league team.

Brighton’s rivalry with Palace isn’t totally contrived, as Palace are their nearest club, and Crawley are a bit on the small side.

What may happen over the next few years is that Brighton consolidate their position as the south’s most consistent club, your club could get relegated and get a real rivalry going with Bournemouth. That will of course leave us to get promotion to the top league and get a good rivalry going with Brighton, and this might get called the south coast cultural derby.

Here you go , a fierce rivalry developing here

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Local derbies on 16:57 - Oct 22 with 2022 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Local derbies on 16:36 - Oct 22 by Bison

That's a friendly though isn't it?

It looks like you enjoy a good local rivalry with Plymouth, although they are ahead on the head to head.

Talking of head to heads, I notice that you club has a losing record against practically every single half decent club from the North West. Special mention to Bolton, and also Wigan and Rochdale where you have actually managed to beat them once in your whole history. What's wrong with the North-West?

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Local derbies on 18:44 - Oct 22 with 1997 viewsdirk_doone

Local derbies on 16:36 - Oct 22 by Bison

Apparently, their natural rivals were Chelsea, you know. That is hilarious. The Worzel really has outdone himself this time.

Little Pompey haven't beaten Chelsea for 60 years
[Post edited 22 Oct 2020 18:46]

Local derbies on 19:56 - Oct 22 with 1958 viewshedgeend61

Local derbies on 16:21 - Oct 22 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

So briefly cutting to the chase, what basically Hans Christian Andersen is trying to say is Little Pompey became a bit crap 60 years ago, have been ever since and no one alive under 85 (needing a good memory at that) would remember them being any good.

Hence the
https://lessonpix.com/pictures/35735/Chip%20on%20His%20Shoulder
[Post edited 22 Oct 2020 21:40]
Local derbies on 20:30 - Oct 22 with 1945 viewsericofarabia

Local derbies on 16:57 - Oct 22 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

That's a friendly though isn't it?

It looks like you enjoy a good local rivalry with Plymouth, although they are ahead on the head to head.

Talking of head to heads, I notice that you club has a losing record against practically every single half decent club from the North West. Special mention to Bolton, and also Wigan and Rochdale where you have actually managed to beat them once in your whole history. What's wrong with the North-West?

With your vast knowledge of all things SFC, I just assumed you were correct with your FACTS but just out of interest I thought I'd see how how many times we'd been in Leagues low enough to play the mighty Rochdale, and interestingly it seems you are talking out of your ar5e yet again.
Exhibit A m'lud.

Southampton v Rochdale
Games won: 4
Games drawn: 1
Games lost: 4
Date Match Result Score Competition
02 Feb 1959 Southampton v Rochdale W 6-1 League Division Three
04 Apr 1959 Rochdale v Southampton L 1-0 League Division Three
13 Sep 1961 Southampton v Rochdale D 0-0 League Cup
27 Sep 1961 Rochdale v Southampton L 2-1 League Cup
22 Sep 1965 Southampton v Rochdale W 3-0 League Cup
25 Sep 1990 Rochdale v Southampton W 0-5 League Cup
09 Oct 1990 Southampton v Rochdale W 3-0 League Cup
04 Sep 2010 Southampton v Rochdale L 0-2 League One
12 Apr 2011 Rochdale v Southampton L 2-0 League One
Local derbies on 20:36 - Oct 22 with 1940 viewsericofarabia

or maybe this one ...Exhibit B m'lud .... once again, we haven't had the opportunity to play Wigan very often due to us not being in the lower leagues enough.

Southampton v Wigan Athletic
Games won: 2
Games lost: 1
25 Jan 1986 Southampton v Wigan Athletic W 3-0 FA Cup
25 Aug 2012 Southampton v Wigan Athletic L 0-2 Premier League
02 Feb 2013 Wigan Athletic v Southampton D 2-2 Premier League
18 Mar 2018 Wigan Athletic v Southampton W 0-2 FA Cup
Local derbies on 21:38 - Oct 22 with 1915 viewsdirk_doone

Local derbies on 20:36 - Oct 22 by ericofarabia

or maybe this one ...Exhibit B m'lud .... once again, we haven't had the opportunity to play Wigan very often due to us not being in the lower leagues enough.

Southampton v Wigan Athletic
Games won: 2
Games lost: 1
25 Jan 1986 Southampton v Wigan Athletic W 3-0 FA Cup
25 Aug 2012 Southampton v Wigan Athletic L 0-2 Premier League
02 Feb 2013 Wigan Athletic v Southampton D 2-2 Premier League
18 Mar 2018 Wigan Athletic v Southampton W 0-2 FA Cup

The Worzel just posts his bullsh!t in the hope that no one will notice he's lying as usual.

It's because he finds the truth so hard to take.

Officially the most one-sided derby in the country:

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/head_to_head.sd?team_id=2049&team2_id=2471

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024